The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

One Thing All Sidewalkers/Slowlaners Have In Common...

Anything related to matters of the mind

TheTruth

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Feb 13, 2012
Toronto/Scottsdale

They assume all scenario's according to their wants and insights rather than on actual facts and previous experience.

I am seriously getting pissed off by this absolute nonesense.

Example #1

Let's take my father(who btw is a terrific man), yet when it comes to what seems almost everything he is usually dead wrong.

Why?

He just assumes that the outcome will come dependent on how he wants it to.

I don't know how many times I have watched an NBA game with him (he has been watching the raptors for well over 6 years now) and yet he will still makes claims like "oh well that's that, no way of coming back now" .... and it's the third quarter or something.

My response is always, you don't know that, you never know. However, he will make these kind of claims over and over again.

Or, even better, when a player gets called for a charge, he gets upset and starts blaming the referee for messing up the game. I explain to him that the call was correct and he will say yeah ok I guess, but will continue to complain about the same issue, even though I already proclaimed that he was wrong on a number of occasions.

The bias is ridicules. and this happens with any sport he watches.

Extra Point

He was talking to me about how much the lottery is in the States (we live in Canada) and I told him that frankly I couldn't care less and that the lottery is a waste of money.

I then go on to explain to him that the real winner is the government. Yeah sure the lottery is at ~ $600 million but that's because people keep buying tickets like crazy. I am sure the reserve is much greater than this and on top of that if you do win, they take another 50%. So you split the money 33/66 with the government.

Not to mention that lottery winners tend to go bankrupt in 5 years after they win it, but that is another story altogether.

Ironically he understands that the stock market is slowlane and he claims that it's pointless to invest and hope to have money with those drivers someday, because who knows what can happen by then. So he uses this as rationale to spend and enjoy all his money now. ( He exposes the slowlane flaw to leverage the sidewalk... I thought this was pretty interesting)

Example #2

One of my "old Friends" lost his uncle recently. He lives in California right now so I haven't seen or talked to him that much (and I am glad to be honest).

So I called him up to give my condolences and to catch up a bit.

Basically the guy works like a slave at Enterprise as a service rep. (He graduated from business school a year before me and had very good grades).

He has decided to do his CFA as well now and he was telling me he might get his real estate licence bla bla bla.

And his attitude is "Yeah man, I HOPE all this studying pays off, you know. All I do is study and work and on the weekend I just chill at home and maybe do some studying"

OH I'M SORRY, I didn't realize you were forced to do your CFA, I'M SORRY you decided to take a shit job, and MOST OF ALL PLEASE KEEP COMPLAINING TO ME!

You want to know the first thing he did when he got to california?

He bought a car... but.... it wasn't just any Car, it was a BMW...

He also got a speeding ticket and his insurance is going to sky rocket and he claims that the $500 he is going to have to pay will be a (in his words) "HUGE dent"

Then he say's "It sucks doesn't... getting old and all these things...."

I was going to let him have it, but due to his recent loss I did not feel right in doing so. I just talked about how you frame anything is the way it is going to come out(not in much detail as I knew he wouldn't get it) - (btw he just turned 24... lol)

Needless to say, I did not need that talk as it just messes up my brain. But, it's funny to see how he just ASSUMES because some Joe Shmo said a CFA is good he went $3000 deep into it...

If you can't pay a $500 dollar ticket why on earth would you pay $3000 on no plan. Oh, I forgot once you get a CFA you will get a great job right of the bat ;)

Example #3

I was in my real estate investments course today and my professor tells us a story:

" Since the market is booming right now I have been attending all these parties, and they are so fun because they are now serving orderves(hors d'oeuvre... or however the hell you spell it lol) and champagne. Before, when the housing market was down it was all donuts and coffee ahaha. Because, you know that's how it goes, the market just goes up and down like that"

Although she is overall a good professor, this was the dumbest thing I have heard out of her mouth.

These people are not idiots, they just fail to thing rationally... and I think ever. Mr.Market dictates the quality of their lunch and the amount of time they party.

Oh nice! we made 14% return, lets order the most expensive champagne and foods we can't even spell! Don't worry forecasts are good, we can spend beyond our means!

Example #4

I'm currently taking the course of all courses that is suppose to integrate my whole business school experience and make me apply it. Thus, turning me into a prolific employee who will go out and do filing for 2 years and become senior to the junior executive vice president of the vice president.

My prof say's this: " For Steve Jobs, it was easy to create vision statements, but obviously for any one of us that would be very hard to do"

WHAT RIGHT does he have to put down the students in that way? Just because he himself is not able to do so does not mean that the students in his class can't.

Isn't a professor suppose to encourage his students? What a bloke, he hates me because all I ask is questions that interest me rather than "sticking to the concepts"... god knows what would happen if I didn't end up learning some of them right?

Synopsis: Alright guys, I wanted to share this to help anyone when they are interacting with other people. Look for these subtle signs and details and then make an instant judgement on how much you will trust them ... on anything really.

What I want You to do: Ask, Have you had similar experiences such as the ones I have outlined? What insights have you come up with? Are you like me and need to be on focus all the time or you start to loose your edge? What are some things you do to keep focused?

my personal preference around these things is from a great quote:

"cut out the noise and you will retain clarity" .... I'll leave you guessing where it came from ;)

Let me know!

The Truth Has Spoken

:iagree:

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Lights

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Apr 13, 2011
On the Internet
I don't pay attention to people. They do what they can do. I do what I want to do.

"Whatever, I do what I want".

Seriously though, I don't need a fancy car to get me to NEW YORK or LA or Miami. If I want to party in Paris... I can arrange that quite easily. Or Brazil. The world is mine. People are just walking around listening to others; go to college, work really hard, and you're lucky you get a good job.

No, screw that.... the time is now! There's no other time to become rich.

---
There is this co-worker who complains about working so hard, so many hours, her car broke down, lost her kids, complains about her life... omg. Shut up, the only reason I am here is to help my business... you are here because you need to survive. Get yourself a better boyfriend who doesn't go to jail Grow up (she's 40). She needs to take life by the handles and get the money. Take life by the bull's horn and ride it.

kimberland

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Jul 25, 2007
I'm with Lights.
I don't have the time or inclination to worry about what other people think or do
(other than my prospects, of course).
Heck, I don't even have time to do everything I want to do.
(so many products to launch, so little time)

The best way to change minds
is to lead by example.
Put all that wonderful passion into achieving your goals
and folks will follow.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Lights

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Apr 13, 2011
On the Internet
^ Time is fleeting. It truly is. Every minute you waste, now; your youth, is a minute you won't get back. A second closer to the nursing home.

If you can read what I am saying, you still have "youth".

Rem

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Sep 14, 2009
Maine
I agree that the economy does change things but there is an opportunity in everything if you look for it. It's not easy to see it if you don't know how to get out of your own way. There are many things you can't control, economy being one of them, but you can change your outlook. My cousin just recently was bitching to me about his 9-5 job and he is taking classes at the same time to get his Masters. He said he better get promoted so he can pay off his loans. He was complaining about all the money he now owes. I remember back when he was thinking about taking more classes. I said it was his life and he could do what he wanted but I advised him against it because of the reasons he did it. Not because I am against education, but rather he felt if he went back to school he would get paid more. I told him that was a bad idea even if all his friends and mommy and daddy said it was a good idea.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.