The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

No Dabble Zone

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
As it turns out, a single slide shown at the summit has hit the hearts and minds of Fastlaners from all around the world...

So I wanted to take a second and share that same slide with the rest of the forum, and serve as a reminder to attendees.

s9XYM2p.jpg

The context given at the summit was that I increased sales on a single product 3x overnight... with 2 hours of work and $2 paid to a graphic designer.

I could have watched tv for that two hours, I could have checked other sales stats, I could have shopped on the internet, or went to the bar for a beer or eight...

The only thing holding you back from your goals is you.... Get to work my friends.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ

Eskil

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jul 18, 2012
Scottsdale, AZ
Lol, it was a FLF Summit Classic Moment™ :)

To add to this; Symptoms of dabbling/tinkering are also extremely closely related to Shiny Object Syndrome. This is a mistake I have seen so many people starting out repeating over and over. They come across one business idea after another and end up dabbling a little bit on each one before hopping on to the next tempting idea.

The cure to treat dabbling/tinkering is to pick and settle on ONE F*cking idea, and stay the course with it. There will always be other tempting ideas or guys doing 'cooler' stuff than you or perhaps seemingly making faster progress and more money than you (note the word seemingly) - but the fact is that if you quit diddling around and take your ONE idea seriously - you will some day be that guy that a new generation of shiny object syndrome people look up to and envy. Let THEM dabble in what you succeeded with.

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
I went out the day I got home and bought a huge whiteboard for my office. I have my large high level, quantifiable goals in the top corner, DON'T DABBLE written in the other corner, and daily action items on the rest of it.

AnneC

Conscious
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
392%
Jan 3, 2012
USA
Thank you for the reminder, @LightHouse. Your presentation and KSB sealed my decision in getting out of my business (non-)partnership.

I am *so* guilty of dabbling and (as @Eskil pointed out) Shiny Object Syndrome. This is one of my biggest character flaws. No more.

Laser focus this year.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Thank you for the reminder, @LightHouse. Your presentation and KSB sealed my decision in getting out of my business (non-)partnership.

I am *so* guilty of dabbling and (as @Eskil pointed out) Shiny Object Syndrome. This is one of my biggest character flaws. No more.

Laser focus this year.

Perfect example of a feedback loop right. I perceived you to be laser focused because you always hammered me to stay on and crush things. Like the project i started last year. We all get off track all the time, so it's always good to kick each other around so we stay on track.

If I could pay for KSB to be ingrained in my head I would!

MarkNNelson

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
232%
Jul 12, 2013
Colorado
Seems relevant...
----
Stay on the Bus: The Proven Path to Doing Unique and Meaningful Work
By James Clear

In June of 2004, Arno Rafael Minkkinen stepped up to the microphone at the New England School of Photography to deliver the commencement speech.

As he looked out at the graduating students, Minkkinen shared a simple theory that, in his estimation, made all the difference between success and failure. He called it The Helsinki Bus Station Theory.

more...

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Interesting example @MarkNNelson .

This made me think as well, The advice here really traverses into the smallest things you do day to day.

If you are having trouble staying on task and getting things done, STOP F*ckING DABBLING!

Stop trying to get through that spreadsheet while checking facebook and tfl, and maybe doing a little of this or that. It is killing your most productive time, and you can't recover that.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Bump; in case you have Shiny Object Syndrome this weekend....

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Since someone liked this and it popped up, let's take this to the top.

It's great timing after a holiday weekend for those in the US.

Mac

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Feb 10, 2015
Don't sacrifice long-term fulfillment for short-term pleasure. Cage that mindless monkey and beat it into submission!

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Someone liked this, so bump.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Surprised to see this liked since it hasn't been seen since 2018 but man is it more relevant than ever!

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
I was browsing the notable threads so had to like it. Thanks for writing it!

...On second thought, perhaps I am dabbling too much!!
Its binary, you either are or you are not. You can't expect 100% results with less than 100% focused effort. Thanks for clicking like on it and bringing it back around!

WellWallet

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
187%
Mar 6, 2019
Thanks for this thread! I'm reading back on notable content and this is amazing... so true. It's a great reminder for me: go all in! Doesn't have to be forever, set a time limit, but BE ALL IN!

Angler

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
271%
Sep 9, 2021
The only thing holding you back from your goals is you....
This thread needs to be revived!! QUIT DABBLINGGGG GRRR. Life and this process, YOUR PROCESS, is so much easier when the brakes are off and you're full throttling. You don't get to think "what if" or the other choices around you. Cause you are committed.

It's easier to hold your principles 100 percent of the time than it is to hold them 98 percent of the time.”- some behavioral economist

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
This thread needs to be revived!! QUIT DABBLINGGGG GRRR. Life and this process, YOUR PROCESS, is so much easier when the brakes are off and you're full throttling. You don't get to think "what if" or the other choices around you. Cause you are committed.

It's easier to hold your principles 100 percent of the time than it is to hold them 98 percent of the time.”- some behavioral economist
Great idea @Angler, I'll sweep back around and update these threads with additional context and references.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
So is the Nike tagline:

Just DO It

or

Just Do IT

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.