The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

GOLD! Let's Talk About Entrepreneurial Depression

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
I still see some very sad posts by people who can't find a way out. On reading a number of them it is my strong opinion that they are suffering from either Bipolar Disorder, or Clinical Depression.

Having for over 10 years collaborated with a top notch psychiatrist, much in demand on the speaking circuit, I learned a lot about various mental illnesses as a result of doing a lot of research for him.

Rather than go over what I posted nearly a year ago, I suggest that some could find help from what I wrote in Post #59.

One important point that I did not mention is that Bipolar Disorder is widespread, but very seriously under-diagnosed.

A major reason for the failure to diagnose the illness is that most people who have no idea what is causing their erratic behavior and depression, only present when they are depressed, and many psychiatrists are too lazy to ask a few vital questions. The result is they prescribe something to treat depression and that makes manic behavior worse.

This is not just my opinion. Professors of Psychiatry have in a number of journals over the years castigated psychiatrists who won't make that little extra effort.

All they have to do is ask this one question and the answer will tell them whether or not they should ask the remaining questions that will confirm or reject a diagnosis of Bipolar Disorder: "Have you ever had the opposite of depression, when you’ve been extremely happy, over the top, doing things out of character or talking too fast? "

Surely they could at least make that tiny effort.

Walter

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

srodrigo

Silver Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Sep 11, 2018
Not depression (I think...), but it's true that I felt happier before I got into this unscripted mindset. All I wanted was to progress in my career and become the best software developer I could. I was happy.

Now I don't care that much about my career and look at the clock thinking that I'm not achieving my (new) goals, and makes me feel unhappy.

I'm still glad that I read the books though haha.

El Dorito

PARKED
Sep 6, 2016
Look, it's 2020 already as mind programming works on the encephalon to kick depression to the curb.

There are chemical imbalances to the brain that can cause depression.

Last edited by a moderator:

WJK

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Oct 9, 2017
Nikiski, Alaska
Look, it's 2020 already as mind programming works on the encephalon to kick depression to the curb.

There are chemical imbalances to the brain that can cause depression.
I know from personal experience that depression is real. It's like being stuck in place... frozen... unable to move forward. BUT, I also know that you can make yourself get up and move. That action is as powerful, or more so, than the meds that most people end up taking.

I understand it this way: Depression is one way of reacting to feeling in danger. People and animals freeze in place, turn to fight, or they run away. Depression put simply -- is when a person feels afraid all the time. It puts them into a 24/7 freeze mode. They cannot function. Conversely, others become perpetually angry (fight reaction) or unable to settle into one location (always running away). Our knee-jerk reaction was learned early in life and it's deeply embedded. Once that pattern is recognized, change is possible. Choosing a reaction to danger is a decision, not a given.

Last edited by a moderator:

AppMan

Contributor
May 25, 2019
I know from personal experience that depression is real. It's like being stuck in place... frozen... unable to move forward. BUT, I also know that you can make yourself get up and move. That action is as powerful, or more so, than the meds that most people end up taking.

I understand it this way: Depression is one way of reacting to feeling in danger. People and animals freeze in place, turn to fight, or they run away. Depression put simply -- is when a person feels afraid all the time. It puts them into a 24/7 freeze mode. They cannot function. Conversely, others become perpetually angry (fight reaction) or unable to settle into one location (always running away). Our knee-jerk reaction was learned early in life and it's deeply embedded. Once that pattern is recognized, change is possible. Choosing a reaction to danger is a decision, not a given.
From what I know depression is more loosing desire in life in general and see no value or happeniess there, which make you loose desire to do things because you see them meaningless

Primeperiwinkle

Platinum Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Nov 30, 2018

I’ve never read this about fear being connected to depression but it makes perfect sense. Thank you for sharing it.

WJK

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Oct 9, 2017
Nikiski, Alaska
From what I know depression is more loosing desire in life in general and see no value or happeniess there, which make you loose desire to do things because you see them meaningless
Yes, it can appear that everything has lost meaning. But, by digging down under that lack of interest, I usually find that there is an overwhelming fear or huge knot of pain that has overshadowed everything else. Usually, my inner self is telling me that I need to solve something -- or pay attention to an issue that I've been ignoring. It's time for changes -- to rethink things -- a shift in my life.
Depression is different from being sad. Sad is dealing with a loss or a traumatic event. Feeling depressed is harder to define since it is not usually visibly directly related to something specific. The problem must, many times, be discovered and explored.
You say that "you lose (the) desire to do things because you see them (as) meaningless". This will happen to you time and time again over your life. Things that used to be very important to me no longer even move me. I just don't care anymore. It's not depression. It's just the process of living through different life experiences.
Maybe you have another experience from me and the people around me. What is yours?

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
I've been feeling kinda crappy lately, tons of rejections..... people not wanting my product, getting told no etc.

Grind more I guess, still need to hit my goal of Mj's recommendation for 10k/1k impressions... Then I can do some deep evaluation.

Doing runs and fitness stuff helps a bit.. slowly driving myself insane

WJK

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Oct 9, 2017
Nikiski, Alaska
I've been feeling kinda crappy lately, tons of rejections..... people not wanting my product, getting told no etc.

Grind more I guess, still need to hit my goal of Mj's recommendation for 10k/1k impressions... Then I can do some deep evaluation.

Doing runs and fitness stuff helps a bit.. slowly driving myself insane

View attachment 34693
Have you figured out how many no answers you must get in order to get a yes? When I was selling, I knew my odds. I was always afraid I would quit one or two more no answers before I got that yes. What if it takes 99 no answers to get your one yes? What if you stopped asking at #97 or #99????? I also used a deck of cards. You shuffle them. Sometimes the face cards are scattered throughout the deck. Sometimes they are all together -- or a couple of them are together. I know that there are yes answers out there IF I ask the right way and don't quit.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Have you figured out how many no answers you must get in order to get a yes? When I was selling, I knew my odds. I was always afraid I would quit one or two more no answers before I got that yes. What if it takes 99 no answers to get your one yes? What if you stopped asking at #97 or #99????? I also used a deck of cards. You shuffle them. Sometimes the face cards are scattered throughout the deck. Sometimes they are all together -- or a couple of them are together. I know that there are yes answers out there IF I ask the right way and don't quit.

Interesting way to look at it, haven't figured that number out as I'm only getting no's now, but lets see...

WJK

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Oct 9, 2017
Nikiski, Alaska
Interesting way to look at it, haven't figured that number out as I'm only getting no's now, but lets see...
It a matter of figuring out your averages over a lot of encounters. I use to use a baggie of dried peas that I would transfer to another baggie as I made my contacts. That way I could keep count. It also made it harder for me to quit and go home before I make the number of contacts I had planned.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Sponsored Offers

FEATURED! Introducing... WEALTH EXPO$ED, A Short Story By MJ DeMarco
Hi Mj, I just bought it. And reading it. I think is a great idea to write using the stories to...
MARKETPLACE Fox Web School "Legend" Group Coaching Program 2020
Great post @Fox, very much appreciated! How can I reach out to you? I sent you a PM a while...
MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
Hey @Lex DeVille ! Having some issues with the NOREGRETS code? Udemy thinks it has expired...
MARKETPLACE Grow Your Business With a Book (An Unorthodox Marketing Strategy That Built One of the Largest...
Are you looking for a new, lesser-known but potentially very lucrative source of leads to your...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Just got off the phone with @LightHouse. Having just a 45 minute conversation with him has...
MARKETPLACE Kill Bigger Incubator
@Kak Thanks for the reply. Whats interesting is that I have an idea that's been cooking which...

Forum Sponsor

sponsor

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom