The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Let's Chat Sales

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I started a podcast with Brendan McAdams who has years of experience as a sales pro.

Join us in our first episode to learn how we:
  • Figure it out as we go along.
  • Find Product-Market-Fit, one customer at a time.
  • Allow niches to reveal themselves as we engage the market.

We also discuss, among other things:
  • The thought process behind creating the podcast.
  • The tools we'll use.
  • What we'd like to discuss going forward.

Would love your feedback and takeaways!

Episode 1 - We're starting!

LetsChatSales.com/start

EDIT: Linked to the episode page on the website.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

FastNAwesome

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
May 23, 2011
Thanks @FastNAwesome

Super curious what your takeaways are!

I think the highlights of the episode would be:
  • Start sooner, rather than later.
  • Figure things out along the way.
For which the podcast sets an example too. As first episode is recorded before the website is ready, although the URL is mentioned a few times.

Then the same theme in context of finding an ideal customer - by actually starting to get customers, and then figuring out as you work with them who you want to work with, and what your offer should be.

Interesting example of niching down too.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Amazing! Excited for you bud!

OMDA

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
Dec 21, 2017
FL
Thank you for the tip on Descript during that 1st episode. Talk about good copy and sales on their page. I ended up trying it and it's made it extremely easy to edit a video I recorded, without having to re-record it.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Episode 2 - Landing pages are like sales conversations

We briefly discuss procrastination and perfectionism, then delve deep into landing pages.

Join us to:
  • Learn how a landing page is similar to a sales conversation.
  • Launch a landing page quicker.
  • Make your landing pages more sophisticated after launch.

Curious what your feedback and takeaways are!

LetsChatSales.com/landingpages

Last edited:

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Episode 2 - Launch landing pages earlier

We briefly discuss procrastination and perfectionism, then delve deep into landing pages.

Join us to:

iTunes:

Looking forward to listening!

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Thank you for the tip on Descript during that 1st episode. Talk about good copy and sales on their page. I ended up trying it and it's made it extremely easy to edit a video I recorded, without having to re-record it.
Good to hear! Descript is one of those apps that seems like magic. My favourite new app in a long time.

Some tips:
  1. Make a backup of a file as soon as it’s uploaded and transcribed. That way you don’t use your monthly transcription quota if you have to start again - you just use the backup.
  2. If someone stutters and repeats themself, keep the first instance and remove the repeated instances. It comes across less clipped/rushed.
  3. Strike-through words so they don’t show, rather than delete them.
  4. Remove filler words (uh, um), and maybe others.
  5. I reduced any silences over 0.5s to 0.5s in the second episode. It seems to keep the podcast moving along at a nice clip.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Amazing! Excited for you bud!
Thanks Kyle. Did you listen to the first? It took me a while editing it so it flowed and was still conversational.

Curious what you thought of the format and the content.

Looking forward to listening!
It takes me so long to edit that we’re going to try and do 10-15 min episodes. We still need to intro/outro these. We’ll get round to it.

Curious again and your feedback and takeaways.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Thanks Kyle. Did you listen to the first? It took me a while editing it so it flowed and was still conversational.

Curious what you thought of the format and the content.

It takes me so long to edit that we’re going to try and do 10-15 min episodes. We still need to intro/outro these. We’ll get round to it.

Curious again and your feedback and takeaways.
I did listen to the first! I loved that you just walked through the process of deciding to start a podcast and your methodology. It was entertaining!

So why are your edits taking so long? What’s your workflow?

MotionDesign

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Jul 1, 2019
Episode 2 - Launch landing pages earlier

Join us to:

iTunes:

Another good episode!

Love the attitute towards launch sooner and test before making everything perfect. I have wasted a lot of money and time testing different buisness ideas that could have been tested in 1 day instead of weeks/months.

Waiting eagerly for the next episode :).

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I did listen to the first! I loved that you just walked through the process of deciding to start a podcast and your methodology. It was entertaining!
Thanks for that feedback. We enjoy our chats and wanted to retain the fun of it.

So why are your edits taking so long? What’s your workflow?
The editing takes so long because we’re thinking aloud and go down cul-de-sacs. We’ll get better at maybe summarising as we go and I’ll just chop out the rambling as we figure out what we’re trying to say.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Another good episode!

Love the attitute towards launch sooner and test before making everything perfect. I have wasted a lot of money and time testing different buisness ideas that could have been tested in 1 day instead of weeks/months.

Waiting eagerly for the next episode :).
Thanks.

Yeah, the thinking is the same as for the first episode. Engage the market sooner rather than later, and then figure it out as you go along.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Thanks for that feedback. We enjoy our chats and wanted to retain the fun of it.

The editing takes so long because we’re thinking aloud and go down cul-de-sacs. We’ll get better at maybe summarising as we go and I’ll just chop out the rambling as we figure out what we’re trying to say.

My advice is to leave it! Ramblings and getting sidetracked add entertainment value and personality.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
My advice is to leave it! Ramblings and getting sidetracked add entertainment value and personality.
Thanks Kyle, that’s good advice.

Ideally we prepare a bit more beforehand, have a bit more of a format, and stay on topic better. Then I’d get away with light editing.

For the moment I’m happy editing down (to about half the length currently!) … until we get better creating them in the first place.

Brendan would like to get two episodes out a week. I’d rather we create a tight and useful episode that we can point people to for years to come.

“Oh, you should listen to episode 2 where we delve deeper into landing pages.”

Flint

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
193%
Jul 14, 2020
Great stuff, Andy. Really enjoyed both episodes. Especially that you're DEMONSTRATING how figuring things out on the fly and setting things in motion aka action first looks like.

Thanks for introducing Brendan. He's in a similar niche to mine so I'm following also to find out how he's building his businesses. For example, how he's divorcing his consulting gig from time (trading time for money trap), how he's diversifying his portfolio vs. niching down etc.

I'm not sure who your intended audience is/will be yet. I suppose it all depends on how you'll structure future episodes, whether you'll focus more on practical techniques vs. mindset etc.

Personally, I'm drawn to the show by your actionable advice. I'd love to hear about your and Brendan's client success stories too (anonymous, more in terms of situation you found, complication you/client faced and your approach/solution).

Also, would be interesting to hear what you guys have to share about different approaches in B2C, B2B, B2B2C, B2Gov. The business/ relationship development part is my favourite aspect in all these cases.

And I like that the episodes are under 25 minutes long. I'd prefer minimum rambling* (as is now) because even if you make it personal and funny, it's still relevant and packed with nuanced content. I feel I can share a link to an episode with a friend and they will immediately notice why I did that without me pointing to a specific timestamp to avoid fluff.

Keep up the good work! Thanks for sharing, I'm following along.

*My definition of rambling: if I can skip 60 seconds (and then another 60) of someone's show and I don't miss anything, it's not for me.

David Fitz

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jan 30, 2020
Ireland
Good topic. I liked the way you said that you shouldn’t focus on the landing page and how it convert's but rather how the person got to the landing page and is it what they're looking for.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Great stuff, Andy. Really enjoyed both episodes. Especially that you're DEMONSTRATING how figuring things out on the fly and setting things in motion aka action first looks like.

Thanks for introducing Brendan. He's in a similar niche to mine so I'm following also to find out how he's building his businesses. For example, how he's divorcing his consulting gig from time (trading time for money trap), how he's diversifying his portfolio vs. niching down etc.

I'm not sure who your intended audience is/will be yet. I suppose it all depends on how you'll structure future episodes, whether you'll focus more on practical techniques vs. mindset etc.

Personally, I'm drawn to the show by your actionable advice. I'd love to hear about your and Brendan's client success stories too (anonymous, more in terms of situation you found, complication you/client faced and your approach/solution).

Also, would be interesting to hear what you guys have to share about different approaches in B2C, B2B, B2B2C, B2Gov. The business/ relationship development part is my favourite aspect in all these cases.

And I like that the episodes are under 25 minutes long. I'd prefer minimum rambling* (as is now) because even if you make it personal and funny, it's still relevant and packed with nuanced content. I feel I can share a link to an episode with a friend and they will immediately notice why I did that without me pointing to a specific timestamp to avoid fluff.

Keep up the good work! Thanks for sharing, I'm following along.

*My definition of rambling: if I can skip 60 seconds (and then another 60) of someone's show and I don't miss anything, it's not for me.
Great feedback. Thanks @Flint

I showed Brendan who chuckled at your 60 second definition of rambling.

We’re figuring out how to get better producing these so there’s less editing after.

And we’ll take on board your suggestions on what you’d like to hear.

We don’t really have an intended market. We’ve been chatting once a week for a few months now and just thought others might like to hear the recordings. Our guts say there’s a market for the content, but we’ll figure it out as we go along.

Brendan might already have a paid engagement out of just the first episode, when I shared it with my network and someone wanted an intro. Amazing what can happen when two personal networks overlap.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Good topic. I liked the way you said that you shouldn’t focus on the landing page and how it convert's but rather how the person got to the landing page and is it what they're looking for.
Yes! As per usual, the norm is for people to think about their landing page and what they want, rather than the people they serve and what *they* want.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Episode 3 - Marketing metrics vs talking to people
  • Brendan edited this one with Descript and I think he did a great job.
  • It's the first time we've done a quick intro and outro. We'll get better at those.
  • We're not sure how to name the podcasts. We'll figure that out too.
  • We've still not got a website up. Wordpress is a pita. We're looking at podpage.com

LetsChatSales.com/metrics

Last edited:

policebaton

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Apr 3, 2017
florida
Nice guys. I've been in B2B ad sales for about 5 years if you want to get a guest on.

I work in a tiny company that makes us wear many hats, and it's very untraditional. We don't have quotas, no working hours, the boss treats us super well, no training, figure it out on your own, and learn to use tools is the mantra.

Happy to share what I know ☺

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Nice guys. I've been in B2B ad sales for about 5 years if you want to get a guest on.

I work in a tiny company that makes us wear many hats, and it's very untraditional. We don't have quotas, no working hours, the boss treats us super well, no training, figure it out on your own, and learn to use tools is the mantra.

That would be cool. We've not discussed getting guests on yet. I'll chat with Brendan.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Having a play with podpage.com
  • It took about 10 mins to knock this up because it pulled the info from the iTunes account.
www.podpage.com/lets-chat-sales

Screenshot of the homepage:

1628079133238.png

Screenshot of the Integrations menu:

1628079119269.png

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Trying to figure out if these are real reviews on iTunes!

I can't find 'em on iTunes.

@Kak ... was one of them you?

EDIT: Brendan says the first review is one of his buddies.

podpage.com/lets-chat-sales/reviews/

1628080786041.png

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I signed up for the top plan for podpage.com (it's only $20/mth).

We have a website on our domain now!

letschatsales.com

policebaton

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Apr 3, 2017
florida

Sure, jlmk

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Episode 4 - The power of saying No

Ooo. For the first time I can share a link to the latest episode on our website:
We also have it like this, so we can also tell people by episode number:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.