The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Kessinger / Clothing Brand Idea

Idea threads

Millennial

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Aug 9, 2018
Hello Fastlane Community!

As this is my first thread on Fastlane I would like to first address some information about myself.

I am an 18 year old wannabe entrepreneur. Still in Grade 12, I struggle to find the time to focus on my true passion for entrepreneurship, in saying this, I need some tips on if this idea is worth getting back on-track.
zW38QcM.jpg

QM9naUz.jpg

I came up with this idea of a self-funded clothing business called Kessinger (latin in my last name) a few years ago when I was around 14-15 years old, continued with it for a little, got some sample hats delivered, then one day I just completely stopped and lost all motivation to keep going with it. My dad was funding the samples and always pestered me to continue with it because he thought it could really go somewhere. I did end up putting a Facebook page up which you can visit here, I am now back with much more knowledge and have the motivation again to get it back on track.

I know the clothing game is a HUGE market and I know it is fairly risky getting involved in it. However, if I applied the correct marketing methods and surveyed around the place, I feel as though this could go to plan.

Anyway, sorry for the blamble. As I am inexperienced, I came here to ask for your opinions!
Do you guys have any tips for me?
Marketing Strategies?
Threads that could help?

Thanks
Millennial

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Millennial

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Aug 9, 2018
Hey there @Millennial

What kind of value will your products provide to the world?

That is a great question Danny!
I have not yet thought to thoroughly about this, however, I do have some ideas!

I could focus on raising awareness for problems around the world:
Each hats colour could potentially be raising awareness for a problem e.g. skin cancer could be a pink hat or mental health patients etc...

- each hat you buy, a portion of the price could go into a charity set up for raising awareness for something

- their are so many possibilities regarding what my hats could bring to the world

Not too sure. I feel as though that raising awareness for something could be a great marketing strategy for my brand and also me!

Millennial

Last edited:

ChrisR

Diamond Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Nov 11, 2017
Republic of Kekistan
Hello Fastlane Community!

As this is my first thread on Fastlane I would like to first address some information about myself.

I am an 18 year old wannabe entrepreneur. Still in Grade 12, I struggle to find the time to focus on my true passion for entrepreneurship, in saying this, I need some tips on if this idea is worth getting back on-track.
zW38QcM.jpg

QM9naUz.jpg

I came up with this idea of a self-funded clothing business called Kessinger (latin in my last name) a few years ago when I was around 14-15 years old, continued with it for a little, got some sample hats delivered, then one day I just completely stopped and lost all motivation to keep going with it. My dad was funding the samples and always pestered me to continue with it because he thought it could really go somewhere. I did end up putting a Facebook page up which you can visit here, I am now back with much more knowledge and have the motivation again to get it back on track.

I know the clothing game is a HUGE market and I know it is fairly risky getting involved in it. However, if I applied the correct marketing methods and surveyed around the place, I feel as though this could go to plan.

Anyway, sorry for the blamble. As I am inexperienced, I came here to ask for your opinions!
Do you guys have any tips for me?
Marketing Strategies?
Threads that could help?

Thanks
Millennial

You should check out the September issue of entrepreneur magazine. There is a big article called young millionaires. It's definitely worth the read. I think a whole year subscription was like $10 or something like that.

What I took away from that article is that none of the kids were doing anything crazy or new but yet they were having huge success. I think you being so young gives you a real advantage. People WANT to support a young entrepreneur.

Anyway, best of luck to ya.

-Chris

Danny Sullivan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Jul 2, 2018
Germany
@Millennial

I'm not saying you shouldn't go for it, but i think it's good to plan out where you want to go with it, instead of just doing it because an imaginary end result sounds cool in your head.

Let's say you've got a customer like me. I owned like two hats in the last 15 years. If you'd raise awareness to some problem in this world, i'd be more interested in an actual solution for it instead of a colored hat and throwing money at the problem.

And i guess in order for this to work you'd need a huge following to effectively raise awareness. Not saying you can't do it - but how do you plan on doing it?

I don't wan't to rain on your parade, rather than provoking some more thoughts about it.

Millennial

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Aug 9, 2018
You should check out the September issue of entrepreneur magazine. There is a big article called young millionaires. It's definitely worth the read. I think a whole year subscription was like $10 or something like that.

What I took away from that article is that none of the kids were doing anything crazy or new but yet they were having huge success. I think you being so young gives you a real advantage. People WANT to support a young entrepreneur.

Anyway, best of luck to ya.

-Chris

I'll have a look, thanks for the tip!
But yes I agree. Us young entrepreneurs also have the brain for the future. As in 'future' I mean the generation I am in knowledge revolves more around technology etc... things of the future...

@Millennial

I'm not saying you shouldn't go for it, but i think it's good to plan out where you want to go with it, instead of just doing it because an imaginary end result sounds cool in your head.

Let's say you've got a customer like me. I owned like two hats in the last 15 years. If you'd raise awareness to some problem in this world, i'd be more interested in an actual solution for it instead of a colored hat and throwing money at the problem.

And i guess in order for this to work you'd need a huge following to effectively raise awareness. Not saying you can't do it - but how do you plan on doing it?

I don't wan't to rain on your parade, rather than provoking some more thoughts about it.

I completely understand what you're saying. I do get what you mean by the end result sounding cool and that is most of the reason I would chase it in the first result. However, I have to remember about the roadmap that was explained throughout the Millionaire Fastlane novel.

Anyway, It was just an idea. I am still going to be open to new ideas.

Cheers, I completely understand and respect where you are coming from!
Thanks for your tips!
First thread and already learning stuff.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Redeye

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Aug 19, 2018
@Millennial

If you're interested in a branding move, why don't you try to reach out to social influencers.

Your hat gives off a hunters or outdoorsman vibe, so it might be worth sending some of your hats to people in that space.

If you're looking for a cause, and agree that your target market is outdoorsman, think about sending a portion of profit to an organization like US Fish & wildlife.

There is a decent market for younger people interested in the outdoors and hunting; you might be able to connect with them.

Just my two cents, but stick with it. Your design is simple and I can see it's appeal.

Merging Left

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jul 20, 2014
Your logo looks cool, and it's a good name, but you don't really have a product. That's like one of the most generic caps available, so you haven't really created anything yet.

Think about a fashion company. How did the brand name become the selling point? It started with unique and wonderful designs. People would buy a Gucci hat because it says Gucci. Gucci can sell generic hats because their brand name now has value, after decades of unique and popular clothing designs.

If you want to be a clothing designer, start there. Otherwise, don't lock yourself into thinking your brand name is limited to hats. Kessinger is a good name. It could be a rifle, a clothing brand, designer shoes, sunglasses, home appliances, cooking knives, furniture, etc.

So I would suggest you browse the forum, read the Gold threads, and try to focus on figuring out what people need. Then, just apply your brand name to that.

tl;dr Your business should start with a product that addresses a need/problem; not with a name.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.