The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Is going to college a waste of time?

Did you get a college education?

• Yes

Votes: 23 76.7%
  • No

Votes: 7 23.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RBefort

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Sep 14, 2012
College is a huge waste of time if you use it to slack off and party all the time. I didn't party, but had serious, time-consuming relationships that probably werent going anywhere, worked full time at fast food joints, Walmart, etc (hadn't found fastlane stuff yet; found poker, but not really on the same level as fastlane). I was going to be like the usual rat race and slug my way through it....I was a 4.0 in HS, but my grades took a downward spiral once I got further in (naturally, all I cared about was poker). Like said above, I would pick something that would further you in some way. I got a degree in Mathematics just because I enjoyed it (thought I was going Actuary route then), and ended up quoting insurance as an Underwriter. I would definitely spend more time getting a bunch of scholarships so I could eliminate some of the debt, save/determine other methods to pile up cash to pay for school so I didn't have to work through it, and socialize/network greatly. College is one of the best times of your life. If I had to do it over, I would study more, save more from poker, never work a day at a dumb job, and party on the weekend evenings, if I had enough time to work on fastlane ideas as well. I did not have any knowledge of Fastlane at the time, so Fastlane wasn't really on my list of things to do lol.

My friend is in college right now and seems to have a knack for creativeness and Fastlane spirit than I do, as well as a more successful poker player. He is going in Acctg right now because his brother is partner at his own firm and keeping up with the Joneses. He definitlely doesn't want this lifestyle, doesn't think he would enjoy acctg, etc. Wants to do more health and fitness, but that would probably make squat. He always tells me it's too late to change and throw more money towards school, and wishes he just moved to Florida on the beach and stuff before going back after poker shut down. Just seems like a huge waste until you sort out your interests/goals and lay out how you would benefit the most from the experience.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Mike39

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 17, 2012
Orlando, FL
Would not mind this thread being closed mods, I created this a loooooong time ago and have completely figured out what I am going to do and where I position my views in relation to college. If you just want to leave this thread up to allow people to vent their feelings on college (so that another thread isn't created) but there is no need for anyone to address my OP at this point

:thumbsup:

Halffull

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
49%
Oct 25, 2012
The truth is, college is still a worthwhile investment.

There's still an economic incentive to go to college, and provided you're not an idiot, you'll be able to get your money back.

The question then becomes, is college the BEST use of 40,000- 100,000 dollars and four years? Or could you get a better investment by, for example, getting a great internship and using open educational resources to help you learn as you go? I think when looked at in that light, you realize that college makes sense for people who can't be self-directed, but is not the best investment for those willing to forge their own path.

GetShitDone

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Dec 20, 2012
Canada
College does seem like a worth-while investment for those professional degree jobs like accounting, engineering, medicine, etc. but for ENTREPRENEURS it doesn't really seem like much of one.

At the end of the day its a personalised choice but for me as an aspiring multi-business owner, it's just not for me.

It really does encourage/direct you into the corporate life more and more. Maybe that explains how John Rockefeller and the General Education Board changed the educational industrial complex decades ago into creating a more submissive working class people.

RBefort

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Sep 14, 2012
A long time ago? Only been 3 months!!! If that was a long time ago, a year ago is historical lol. What did you end up deciding to do?

G

GuestUser8117

Hmmm. It depends in what to field you want to work. If you want to be an entrepreneur, then it's completely useless. I used to study in real estate to get my license but I realized I didn't like it. So, I'm going back to college to study music. Because I want to be a musician.

bringitnow28329

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 30, 2013
Providence
The problem is society has made college into this ritual where society has made it acceptable for students to go to party, and get drunk, and basically waste several years of their life. Certain people are cut out for college and others are not. If you are not a good student or had a hard time getting good grades in high school, college is probably not for you. So much of getting a job today is based on a persons grades. Yes it's about who you know, but if you have a B- average in college you aren't getting a good job unless your dad owns the company.

The worst thing today is that there aren't any jobs for college grads except for people that go the elite schools and get good grades. Going to a state university and getting a 3.0 GPA might land you a job thats pays $10 per hour.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Can this thread please be closed and stickied so we no longer have to have this stupid debate on the forum?

Mike39

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 17, 2012
Orlando, FL
A long time ago? Only been 3 months!!! If that was a long time ago, a year ago is historical lol. What did you end up deciding to do?

It's been a year and it really does seem forever ago to me, from how much things and myself have changed.

I don't have any plans of attending college at this point, that may change if I just have more money and time than I know what to do with but for now, college is not in my future. Instead, I may try to find a "fastlane education", working for someone who is very successful and gaining knowledge from them while contributing to furthering their success. Even if that doesn't happen, I am currently running a business and feel confident that I am on the right track to the future, this year should yield some incredible progressions and I can't even imagine what 2014 has in store!

All in all, college just doesn't deliver what I am looking for; sure I will miss the "college experience" which will suck but I just feel my time and money is better invested elsewhere.

With that said, I vote with The-J to close this thread as there is more than enough info within this thread for someone to draw their own conclusions about college.

:thankyousign:

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Would not mind this thread being closed mods, I created this a loooooong time ago and have completely figured out what I am going to do and where I position my views in relation to college. If you just want to leave this thread up to allow people to vent their feelings on college (so that another thread isn't created) but there is no need for anyone to address my OP at this point

:thumbsup:

I actually was about to ask you what you decided. Do you have a good mentor in mind?

You should check your local chapter of EO and see if there is someone willing to take you in a zen******* type situation. Most of these guys are, for the mpst part, the real deal.

They can help you with your business too.

Mike39

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 17, 2012
Orlando, FL
I actually was about to ask you what you decided. Do you have a good mentor in mind?

You should check your local chapter of EO and see if there is someone willing to take you in a zen******* type situation. Most of these guys are, for the mpst part, the real deal.

They can help you with your business too.

I have no sights set on anything specific yet but I am actually hoping to get out of Colorado, so another EO chapter wouldn't be off the table. Do you have to be a member to access the mentorship program as a mentee?

Edit: Did some research, to go through the official program you need to be a member which entails (at least for the Denver chapter) that you have a business with a million dollars annual revenue. There is an accelerator program for companies between $250-$1mm which also has a mentorship program.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
A million in revenue is dfferent than a million in profit though. Not that hard, but keeps the jokers out. I have 4 MLMers in my networking group. Honestly it is a bunch of people who have no leads and are desperate to get them from others in the group who also have no leads. Anything less than EO will be bullshit. I want to join EO in 2013.

I am sure they don't expect you to be at that mark when you are looking for an apprenticeship. Just call and go for it. See when the next meeting is and ask them of you can take 5 minutes to introduce yourself.

qewrtyass

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
30%
Apr 30, 2013
college crap. i gain least from college, from sitting listening to lecturer.
none of college education prepare myself to solve real life problem. college syllabus is outdated.
i have to learn everything by myself.
if you have found fastlane principal at 16. dont go college. just make sure you keep going and learning from mistakes. you will be much much better person at the end. when other kids just already graduated, you probably already have 5 figure income, even more, per month.

rrclark

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Jun 7, 2013
Victoria, BC, Canada
It depends on what career you're planning to enter; some fields (medicine, etc.) absolutely require formal education to practice in, so you'll definitely want to work your way through college and graduate school if your desired profession is one of those. Beyond that, as an entrepreneur, it really depends how well you pick up new concepts and business ideas on the go. Some people do very well with no college education, while statistically those who graduate with at least a bachelor's degree do earn substantially more money in their lifetimes than those who don't. Since you're so young, I'd recommend at least trying a few semesters of college - you may actually enjoy it, not to mention find a field that you are interested in enough to want to make a career out of it.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Yes

There you got a straight answer to your question.

FastLearner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Aug 3, 2013
Scottsdale, AZ
Finish high-school and spend a semester at a community college and you'll realize you don't belong in that environment.

Pineapple

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Sep 3, 2013
As my father says, "college is job insurance."

I also think that it's very useful for connections and networking.

goodfella

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Apr 4, 2013
Finish high-school and spend a semester at a community college and you'll realize you don't belong in that environment.

Community college is completely different and are for those who don't have the grades. You would need to go to a good college/university to get the real experience.

zzaxx

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Apr 7, 2013
Los Angeles
I didn't read through the entire thread, so forgive me if someone has already posted this article. I'm not advocating one way or another. I have a lot of education (graduate/undergraduate engineering) and I'm sending my kids to college - IF they have a plan for a marketable degree. That being said, many degrees aren't going to help you much with either Fastlane or Slowlane success.

The Pernicious Myth that You Don't Need College to Be an Entrepreneur

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
The Pernicious Myth that You Don't Need College to Be an Entrepreneur

Sounds like nothing but sour grapes from someone who needs to perniciously defend his ego after wasting 4 years in college and thousands of dollars only to receive a worthless piece of paper.

His argument is based upon the results (or lack of results) of the Thiel foundation. Considering the source (PBS) I would conclude that this is nothing but a state-sponsored propaganda hit piece making an weak argument in favor of an outdated and overpriced institution that will do anything to preserve it's monopoly. Frankly put, anyone with discipline no longer needs to spend $100K and 4 years on college and those that do become complicit to their own economic slavery.

In return, "the state" is guaranteed a continual influx of corporate slaves, milled and machined from the great institution we call college. The poor saps that believe the lie get shackled to a lifetime of debt that can't be bankrupted away-- meanwhile the state is ensured a lifetime of perpetual tax dollars by virtue of your economic slavery to the system by which you willing participated within. All for what? An illusion of a "safe secure" job at some corporation? It's a freaking fantasy and people are waking up to it.

Just something to think about before you take on the cost and the time of college.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast

phoenix17

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Sep 11, 2013
Yes and no. I'm currently studying engineering at Sydney, all I can say is everything I'm learning is completely useless for what I want to achieve. But the upside is that its providing me with a lot of networking opportunities. Currently I'm working on site projects of my own, and I don't see myself finish my degree. College/university helps you prepare for the real world, its not just about the courses.

dknise

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Aug 29, 2012
North Bend, WA
Yes and no. I'm currently studying engineering at Sydney, all I can say is everything I'm learning is completely useless for what I want to achieve. But the upside is that its providing me with a lot of networking opportunities. Currently I'm working on site projects of my own, and I don't see myself finish my degree. College/university helps you prepare for the real world, its not just about the courses.

You haven't been in the real world yet have you? :smilielol:

3ses0v.jpg

FastLearner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Aug 3, 2013
Scottsdale, AZ
You learn more by going out and DOING.

Not sitting in a classroom TALKING about it or doing unnecessary homework assignments that probably don't have to do shit to do with anything.

1PercentStreet

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
May 16, 2012
Vegas

Tom.V

Tom
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Feb 20, 2012
San Juan
Gotta love this topic. I am not anti-college or anything, though I did not go. It may be helpful, it may not. This is totally up to the individual and HOW they spend their time, and whether or not the make the most of the situation or just bury themselves in debt.

But IMO:

Autodidactism+Real World Testing > College

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!