The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Is going to college a waste of time?

Did you get a college education?

• Yes

Votes: 23 76.7%
  • No

Votes: 7 23.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GamerGripz

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Jan 17, 2012
I'm 17 and going to be a senior in high school so I can relate with you. I'm just getting ready to launch my first business, things have really been picking up and things are going grea and getting semi overwhelming at times. Since its summer I haven't had I deal with it while being in school. I'm a baseball player, it consumes al weekends in the fall and everyday in the spring.

I am 100% committed to being an entrepreneur for the rest of my life. I love baseball and have played it all my life, but since I understand I'm not going to go to the MLB, I have decided to stop playing baseball. I think it would be a ton easier on you if you quit lacrosse. I understand what it's like to be busy EVERY day and weekend and it's a bitch I agree.

I plan on going to college and majoring and mastering in Entreperenurship. Now you may say oh thats a waste of time. But let's look at it this way. Your 18, just graduated high school, no intentions of going to college. Big plans on starting a business. Well it takes money to make money, where do you plan to get start up money? Investors won't invest of you're not investing in the business yourself. And do you think your parents are going to be like "okay here's $120k that we were going to spend on your education, go use it to start a business with no experience and little knowledge"? I highly doubt it.

You may think there is no need and you can learn it all online and stuff, but at colleges they have organizations for entrepreneurship and a majority of entrepreneurship teachers are entrepreneurs and LOVE to mentor kids in starting up their own business.

College is the furthest thing from pointless.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Mike39

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 17, 2012
Orlando, FL
Update: Since gamergripz bumped this thread, I thought I would update where I am at now (even though most of you will have no idea what I am talking about because you never read the opening post haha).

1. In the interest of time, I am not playing lacrosse this year

2. We have an online program called k-12 or something, I am going to beg my counselor to try and set something up where I can take some of my classes online (like English and math) so I can have some more free time, don't think we do anything like this at the moment but maybe I could start it (hopefully). I just can't/don't want to do online school because I am a very social person and I don't want to loose friends and fun

3. If I for some reason were to start making enough money to support myself (for the future as well, house, food, etc.) comfortably, I will probably get my GED and call high school a wrap, I know I could find a college to get into if I told them I got bad grades in high school because I was running a multi-$X business instead haha, and if I don't who cares, the community college down the street will let me in no matter what and my parents are open to considering giving me some capital to run a business instead of spending it on a more expensive college

So that's where it's at for now, we'll see how things go :)

2KidsinUT

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Aug 2, 2012
Utah
Hey Mike, we were faced with similar questions not too long ago. Apparently most if not all of the people replying to your thread are older. Without addressing the fact that the education system and society in general are now broken, there are other options available today that weren’t available 3 or 4 years ago. First, you don’t need to make those decisions now, because you can continue your education at any time. Most people go to college when they’re young because they are pressured into it by their family, or because they are led to believe that it is the only way to amount to something.

As far as HS goes, not only can you supplement or even completely replace your classes with online courses, you can start college now, part-time or even full-time. Study up for the entrance exam, pass it, and you’re in. Your credits can be applied to your HS credits as well. Some colleges even sponsor their own charter schools specifically for HS kids, where you get your Diploma and Associate’s Degree together.

A High school Diploma has absolutely no value today. You don’t need it to go to college or get a job or anything else. There are no real penalties if you don’t complete HS, however, a GED will look bad on you because it, in and of itself, suggests that you defy acceptable social norms. If you don’t complete HS, and feel that you must have a diploma later, you can simply go to college and convert your Associate’s Degree to a HS Diploma.

Undergraduate degrees are no longer valuable. With CLEP you can test out of most if not all of the course credits for your Associate’s, and you can test out of all the course credits for as many Bachelor’s Degrees that you wish. Post graduate degrees are the only ones that have any value and even that is changing.

If you already have real-life skills, turn them into a business. Go to college later, when you know what you want and why you want it (maybe a degree won’t be what you want, or maybe you discover an interest that just can’t be learned outside a classroom environment, or just simply go to party and catch one of those fine a$$ girls that are only there to get their MRS... Yeaaa).

CommonCents

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Apr 14, 2009
MN
You'll get out of college what you put into it, like most anything else in life. I'd think HS grads might be better off working a year or two, or pursuing entrepreneurial endeavors first. Then hit college a couple/3 yrs later. I guarantee there will be many many more motivated students and a lot more studying going on.

Mike39

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 17, 2012
Orlando, FL
Hey Mike, we were faced with similar questions not too long ago

You guys are going to have to make 2 separate accounts, this we thing is going to drive me nuts, just be KidInUT1 and KidInUt2 if you have to haha, you remind me of those twins in the social network movie :)

a GED will look bad on you because it, in and of itself, suggests that you defy acceptable social norms

I shouldn't defy social norms when appropriate?

If you already have real-life skills, turn them into a business

Exactly what I was thinking

2KidsinUT

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Aug 2, 2012
Utah
I guarantee there will be many many more motivated students and a lot more studying going on.

We agree. Motivation comes from doing things you really want to do. There's nothing to be motivated about in college until you know why you want to be there.

2KidsinUT

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Aug 2, 2012
Utah
I shouldn't defy social norms when appropriate?

Don't get me wrong, disrupting the status quo is my sole mission in life. I think the social norms should be defied often. But it should be done intelligently.

A GED doesn't show defiance in an intelligent way. Instead, it leaves the impression of irrationality. Like for instance quitting school for a mindless reason, then copping to the easy way out only after you realize you harmed yourself. In other words, it is socially acceptable if you quit because you felt you got the most HS had to offer and you decided to launch your own business instead... you had a plan, that although might not be the best route in some people's minds, but is at least rational considering your age and experience. If your endeavor fails, you know you can just pick up where you left off by going back to school, or you move forward, by converting college credits to your HS diploma. It's rational and intelligent, if you know what I mean.

Exactly what I was thinking

That was the choice we made.

ZDS

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Oct 2, 2008
Kick a$$ on a standardized test and get a scholarship?

Go to a lesser school and get a scholarship?

There's no reason you have to do 100k in debt. You've got the rest of your life to work on businesses. Going to school isn't going to "set you back". You'll get an enjoyable experience. In the end life isn't about the amount of money, its about your experiences. Don't forsake one because you're in a hurry. :)

Not to mention, if you find out you're NOT an entrepreneur(which many people aren't) it gives you a nice fallback!

Side note: You may find out you're interested in academia / intellectual pursuits. If you want to write papers on physics, you do need a PHD in it. :)

College may not be for everyone, but I wouldn't give up my years for anything.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
LMAO ZDS. I would give up my 4 years just to square away the 4k I have left on my loan.

Entrepking

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Apr 24, 2012
Wow, I knew there was a debate as to whether or not going to college is a waste of time these days, but the poll results are absolutely overwhelming. Over 70% of people think going to college is a waste of time. That is staggering. If you asked the same question 10 years ago I'll be the results would be diametrically opposed.

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
Kick a$$ on a standardized test and get a scholarship?

Go to a lesser school and get a scholarship?

There's no reason you have to do 100k in debt. You've got the rest of your life to work on businesses. Going to school isn't going to "set you back". You'll get an enjoyable experience. In the end life isn't about the amount of money, its about your experiences. Don't forsake one because you're in a hurry. :)

Not to mention, if you find out you're NOT an entrepreneur(which many people aren't) it gives you a nice fallback!

Side note: You may find out you're interested in academia / intellectual pursuits. If you want to write papers on physics, you do need a PHD in it. :)

College may not be for everyone, but I wouldn't give up my years for anything.

I wouldn't give up my time at college for anything either. Heck, the 10 years after I left I kept wanting to go back. The partying, girls etc was MORE than worth the cost of admission. Thinking back on it I STILL wish I could go back and do it all again, it was fantastic!

MyMotivation

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
64%
Aug 10, 2012
Well I just got my university place confirmed and I am glad to be getting away from home and going to London. So much opportunity, people to meet, things to do. I live in a village in a rural county right now and I need the change of an environment.

octoberskyy

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Aug 21, 2012
Hey, my name is mike, I am 16, and I'm finding myself with very limited time as I go to high school from 7-3 Monday through Friday, on top of that, I play high school lacrosse after school every day that runs from 3:00-6:30 and sometimes have 2 hour games on weekends. To finish off my night, I have a couple of hours of homework and am currently learning how to code, all in all I usually go to bed around 12-2 just to start the process again at 6 the next day. On top of all that, I work selling coupons door to door on the weekends in an attempt to get some start up cash (I'm pretty good and can make around $200 for 3 hours of selling!). There is a question that I have long tried to avoid but it seems to be entering my mind more and more recently, the question is: Would it be beneficial to drop out of high school? I get good grades and am very smart, I could most likely get into a pretty exclusive private college. I really want to start my fast track now, not once I get out of college, I am a quick learner and am very "entrepreneurialy":huh2: oriented and I truly believe and know I could make it big without furthering my IN SCHOOL education. If anyone has gone through this or just has any advice I would love to hear from you.
Thanks, Mike​

taichijedi had some really good points -- that there are entrepreneurs that took all routes, not going, going and not finishing, and finishing.

for me personally, i don't think it was a waste of time. it depends largely on which college you go to, and what you make of the resources. i'd personally recommend going to a public university over private. private tuitions can be 5-6x the amount of public university tuition, but i don't think it's the norm for private graduates to make 5-6x more than public graduates.

of course, not every college guarantees a cushy well paying job. do your research. what is the average salary of the graduating class? how many job offers on average do they receive? talk to people who graduated from the college, what do they do, what do they earn? what was their major? my school posted 60K avg salary for engineering and several of my friends in the graduating class made that if not more.

not sure where everyone is getting this magic number of 100K debt... went to georgia tech where it cost 0 tuition to go as long as you maintained a 3.0 GPA (for all GA residents). for someone that couldn't maintain a 3.0 GPA, tuition was 8K/year. some of the professors were CEO's of companies, and taking their class meant you could ask them any class or business related questions.. you could do COOP programs where you work one semester (PAID) and go to school one semester, giving you exposure to different industries/job roles. you could attend study abroad classes in different countries. college is different from HS, as HS you have to actually be at school 7-3, but college you usually take 12-16 hours of classes a week, giving you more free time to work on your business (assuming you don't have too much trouble with the course work). you can also take classes that you think might be beneficial to the business, like coding/marketing, etc. and instead of having to read a book and learn it on your own, you can talk to fellow students/professors/teaching assistants for guidance, which is nice.

yes, you can work BS jobs to help fund your business. but i find BS jobs exhausting & tiring (worked BS jobs for 7-8 years of my life part time). been working a white collar job for 5 years now, and to be honest i'm at work for 8 hours but only do "real work" for 5 hours. the other 3 hours i'm just at my desk surfing the web, reading books, going through forums. and i find that i have more energy after a shift at a white collar job vs a BS job. not sure if you've ever worked retail, or restaurants, but being on your feet all day can get exhausting. if you don't have anyone supporting you after high school, i don't think there's anything wrong with working white collar to fund your venture until your business takes off. and let's say you take the entrepreneurship route and decide it's not for you, or you want to hold off until you have enough capital -- you now have a degree to transition to 9 to 5 temporarily if needed.

sammich

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Nov 16, 2011
education is one of the most important forms of capital investment. I mean, it's really human capital. But the type of education matters in my opinion. The two different types being your traditional formal vs real world/street smarts/self education.

Unless you really want to pursue to go into a profession for which formal credentials are mandatory such as law, medicine, etc or rise up through the ranks of corporate/government bureaucracy, I view formal education past the basics a very weak form of investment in your own human capital.

lightningbob

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jan 23, 2012
"Is going to college a waste of time?" In a word NO!!! PLEASE don't tell people not to go to college! As entrepreneurs we need educated people! When I explain that water heated to 212 degrees farenheight turns to steam and expands to 1700 times its original volume or that torque on an object is affected by its distance from its pivot point so our spike trainer will not flip off it's mounting because a force of 150 lbs at one inch on the right side of the pivot point is balanced by a a mere 7.5 lbs twenty inches on the left side of the pivot point. I appreciated it when people undestand the physics behind it. Also I can design things simpler knowing general physics and make the product marketable and less expensive to manufacture. As product developers we need all the experiance and information our little brains can hold. One way or another we will get educated. I personally believe a degree may not be important but a broad and general understanding of the world around us only makes us better. And if you want to succeed you'll get a good education at a school from a book or hire someone who has one!! I prefer to know my subject to better make decisions about it.

Dilshad

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Jan 16, 2013
Hey, my name is mike, I am 16, and I'm finding myself with very limited time as I go to high school from 7-3 Monday through Friday, on top of that, I play high school lacrosse after school every day that runs from 3:00-6:30 and sometimes have 2 hour games on weekends. To finish off my night, I have a couple of hours of homework and am currently learning how to code, all in all I usually go to bed around 12-2 just to start the process again at 6 the next day. On top of all that, I work selling coupons door to door on the weekends in an attempt to get some start up cash (I'm pretty good and can make around $200 for 3 hours of selling!). There is a question that I have long tried to avoid but it seems to be entering my mind more and more recently, the question is: Would it be beneficial to drop out of high school? I get good grades and am very smart, I could most likely get into a pretty exclusive private college. I really want to start my fast track now, not once I get out of college, I am a quick learner and am very "entrepreneurialy":huh2: oriented and I truly believe and know I could make it big without furthering my IN SCHOOL education. If anyone has gone through this or just has any advice I would love to hear from you.
Thanks, Mike​

You will see many business people who playing in millions are without degrees! Though I would say schooling isn't a harmful subject. You still learn some form of business, you can network, you can join clubs through schools. There still are benefits in schooling but your right you can start off without a solid degree.

sandeep

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Dec 30, 2012
If you are going to College for the typical American Dream, you will be in a big surprise after the graduation. Many kids are not finding the jobs they desire in their own fields. You will have to fake your way into getting a job. :rofl:

America is on the decline stage.... Thanks to OBAMA ADMINISTRATION!!!!! :sorry:

OXVO

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jan 5, 2013
CT, USA
Yes.

Simply because if you already have the skills and discipline you can skip the slow pokes who need someone to stand in front of them every day to keep them on track.

ubiquitous

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Sep 13, 2012
Firstly, I'll list my education so you know where I stand (possible bias alert!):

No name Community College: Took student loan money refund to fund a SAAS start up.
Harvard University: Took Econ & Enterprise Management via Extension School (paid cash).

I literally walked into Northwestern's Kellogg School of Management campus grabbed the syllabus then went on Amazon and bought the textbooks, which I read on my own.

Then later on when technology started really changing education I just bought the textbooks and followed along with Open Yale (Game Theory), Venture Lab [Stanford] (Finance).

Now my primary education is through my Harvard Business Review and Udacity (just to keep things interesting).

My total outlay for my "education": Under $10,000 in cash
My total monthly bill from Sallie Mae: $50 a month

Even though I did miss out on the binge drinking, promiscuous undergrads, and "finding myself" I'd honestly put my applicable knowledge up against 95% of the business undergrad you'd throw at me, and I'd do just fine in 90% of most MBA classes.

The most valuable thing I took away from ALL of my education was probably applying the case method.

Would I have gone 250K into debt to do that? Hahaha

Yet, I find the people who are so dismissive of a formal higher education to be short-sighted. Most "self-educated" entrepreneurs you'll meet would benefit from some graduate level courses and literally are 100% ignorant of how much they don't know. There's a lot more to life than just "knowing how to sell".
----------
I would recommend someone in high school to go to college, just major in engineering, mathematics, or computer science and do your damnedest to go to school for free or close to it. (I wanted to go to college immediately after, but due to some personal issues I had to put it on hiatus).

Saqua

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jan 20, 2013
UK
I didnt make it to college because of a medical condition however I am doing a degree via distance learning with a university that allows you to pursue a degree without qualifications. Its far cheaper and it teaches you the same as normal universities.

Now in my experience if you were to drop out of college in terms of networking and finding potential customers you would be at a disadvantage. I have literally 0 friends and because of that its very difficult for me to even network.

Furthermore college provides you with social confidence, something which I lack. Now im not saying if you dont go to college you will lack social confidence and you wont be able to network im just saying these two things could happen to you.

Min1a1k1shi

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jan 21, 2013
Frankly, unless you're going to study something like medicine, engineering or architecture, you're not going to be making the big bucks. Even law isn't that great at the moment. Lots of recent graduate lawyers out there who can't finds jobs. College for everyone is a joke.

Skys

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Dec 20, 2011
The Netherlands
For most it is a waste of time because college comes forth out of social conditioning. You are 18 years old, reasonable smart and the normal thing to do is to go to college. You have no idea what you want out of life, you have no real idea what your talents are and you pick an education based on what your parents think you are good at or what your friends are going to do. It's rare for an 18 year old to really know what he wants.

If I could do it over, I would work at the age of 18. I would travel around the world for some years. Get experience, experience that translates into knowing my strength and weaknesses and my likes and dislikes. After I traveld and gained that experience, I might go to college / university or I might not. Not before I know what I want, not before I made sure I need an degree for what I want to do.

If you want to go to college for the experience, I would take something very general, like economics. Getting your MBA. Law. Computer science. That way you have a degree that might actually be worth something to you in the future. Not saying you are sure to have job security. That does not excist anymore.
Getting your MBA at a top tier university is going to help a lot if in 4 year you want to get into management consultancy at McKinsy. Computer science helps because technology will be here for some time. When you are good, you are never without a job (that is with everything by the way).
Don't pick a study that's vague, or because you think it sounds cool / is cool.

When you do go to college, make sure you make friends with smart people (let the losers blow weed and have sex with lots of woman. You will become their employer some day). Make sure you surround yourself with people that want to achieve stuff. Getting very good grades at a well-known university and developing a strong network would never hurt. In free time, have fun.. but develop some skills. Skills that you can show, not skills like 'yeah uh..Im really good with people'. The recruiter will ask you: Ah nice. What else can you do? "Uhmm. Im very friendly?"

See yourself as a start up (great book: The startup of you) and make sure your assets keeps growing.

just my two cents

GetShitDone

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Dec 20, 2012
Canada
I've been in college for a few weeks now and in terms of going to class/homework I can't stand it mostly because of the fact that I've always hated school in general when it comes to doing the "work". I'm only here because my parents made me go but I am on the brink of launching my company at the same time.

Once I get enough of an income to be able to move out/live alone, I am dropping out/moving out and focusing on growing my company and future ventures.. Meeting people in college is great and the social settings are pretty different from high school though.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.