The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Interested in Digital Marketing? Why not try pay per appointment/show model? Ask anything you need!

Paul David

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 17, 2015
England
Could you elaborate on your cold email and FB ad strategy? I like the idea of no upfront costs but setting up and managing bookings sounds overwhelming. Would you recommend just a straight retainer for a beginner?

I'm struggling looking for a job now and about to say F it and start freelancing.

I’ve automated the cold email process. Basically I send out an email saying we’re looking for someone to handle 15-30 clients a month. There are no up front costs and we handle everything on our side right up until they arrive for their appointment.

For Facebook ads I call out the owners in the niche and say more or less the same. Booking appointments is easy. We have access to our clients calendars and I have a portal set up with pages for each client detailing their details and links for their calendars etc. We just book directly on their calendar.

It’s all automated also using zapier, google sheets and high level.

For a beginner you need to choose a niche and stick with it for 6 months minimum. I’d personally do retainers for a couple of clients then you can use their money to work out cost per lead etc. Then later on transition to pay per show.

You need to know the numbers for pay per show so you don’t undercHarge and end up losing money.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
I’ve automated the cold email process. Basically I send out an email saying we’re looking for someone to handle 15-30 clients a month. There are no up front costs and we handle everything on our side right up until they arrive for their appointment.

For Facebook ads I call out the owners in the niche and say more or less the same. Booking appointments is easy. We have access to our clients calendars and I have a portal set up with pages for each client detailing their details and links for their calendars etc. We just book directly on their calendar.

It’s all automated also using zapier, google sheets and high level.

For a beginner you need to choose a niche and stick with it for 6 months minimum. I’d personally do retainers for a couple of clients then you can use their money to work out cost per lead etc. Then later on transition to pay per show.

You need to know the numbers for pay per show so you don’t undercHarge and end up losing money.
This is good advice. Thank you.

I like the idea of keeping everything handled in house and paying for ad spend myself. It's easier to scale and productize in the future.

Any advice for cold emailing offering a retainer and not sounding like the billionth marketing agency?

Last edited:

Paul David

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 17, 2015
England
This is good advice. Thank you.

I like the idea of keeping everything handled in house and paying for ad spend myself. It's easier to scale and productize in the future.

Any advice for cold emailing offering a retainer and not sounding like the billionth marketing agency?

You've got to come up with something that makes you stand out over everybody else, unfortunately everyone is offering free trials, minimum number of clients a month or your money back and things like that.

With digital marketing I thought to myself, what exactly do my clients want and how can I best serve them. The majority of businesses want paying customers. Nothing more, nothing less. So I devised a system making that become as close to reality as possible up until the point I lose control. That means I can get clients into their door but after that it's down to them to convert them. And I'm that confident I can do that, pay me only when they turn up.

A customer who makes an effort to turn up for an appointment is 3/4 of the way committed to moving forward generally.

Now see the difference between that and another 50 marketers who say give me $1000 a month up front and I'll send you 50 leads that you need to call and convert?

If you're offering retainers you're going to need multiple outreach channels in addition to cold email also. Linked in messages, facebook messenger messages, facebook ads, visiting businesses in person, cold calls. It's a numbers game. Aim to speak to 20 new people every single day. And do this for 6 months. Someone will say Yes during this time but you might have to hear 100 no's first, just remember every No get's you closer to a yes.

DrWumbo

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Sep 22, 2016
Thanks for the insight Paul! Seems you have a good system figured out.

Are you doing a full suite of services, like web design/seo/Google ads in order to generate leads for the clients your service, or are you sticking with one particular avenue to acquire them?

Paul David

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 17, 2015
England
Thanks for the insight Paul! Seems you have a good system figured out.

Are you doing a full suite of services, like web design/seo/Google ads in order to generate leads for the clients your service, or are you sticking with one particular avenue to acquire them?

I use Facebook and Google Ads to generate leads qualify them and book appointments. I've got no plans to go into anything else. It's much easier to scale by offering 1/2 services max.

DrWumbo

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Sep 22, 2016
I use Facebook and Google Ads to generate leads qualify them and book appointments. I've got no plans to go into anything else. It's much easier to scale by offering 1/2 services max.

Thanks for your reply Paul. I'm assuming for GAds, you create a custom landing page for the ad, separate from their website?

Paul David

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 17, 2015
England
Thanks for your reply Paul. I'm assuming for GAds, you create a custom landing page for the ad, separate from their website?

Yes. I don't run any advertising under their brand or company. It's all run under a brand I created inside this niche. So the leads I attract are essentially mine until they arrive for their appointment at my clients. Then they take over.

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
Yes. I don't run any advertising under their brand or company. It's all run under a brand I created inside this niche. So the leads I attract are essentially mine until they arrive for their appointment at my clients. Then they take over.
I really, really like this business model. Sorry for another barrage of questions but you're really helpful!

Do you invest in any brand awareness in your niche or just run PPC?

Does it concern you that leads might be uncomfortable giving their info to a "lead mill"? How do you create trust?

I've had some people say my landing page just looks like an info grab that doesn't care about the customer. But then again Booking.com is a billion dollar company, they don't actually own the assets.

How are you capturing the leads? Landing page only, full brand website, Google Ad lead form/call ads, content?

Do you charge a flat rate for shows or based on location or warmth of the lead?

I'd really like to start with this model off the bat, but you said I should try a retainer for a while to get an average cost per lead. My only concerns are competition and actually getting clients to sign up. Seems like your model solves those issues and would be far easier to get clients.

I've got some cash in the bank to fund me if I accidentally lowball my prices and lose money at first. Should I still go for retainer first or jump in with this model?

Once again thank you so much!

Paul David

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 17, 2015
England
I really, really like this business model. Sorry for another barrage of questions but you're really helpful!

Do you invest in any brand awareness in your niche or just run PPC?

Does it concern you that leads might be uncomfortable giving their info to a "lead mill"? How do you create trust?

I've had some people say my landing page just looks like an info grab that doesn't care about the customer. But then again Booking.com is a billion dollar company, they don't actually own the assets.

How are you capturing the leads? Landing page only, full brand website, Google Ad lead form/call ads, content?

Do you charge a flat rate for shows or based on location or warmth of the lead?

I'd really like to start with this model off the bat, but you said I should try a retainer for a while to get an average cost per lead. My only concerns are competition and actually getting clients to sign up. Seems like your model solves those issues and would be far easier to get clients.

I've got some cash in the bank to fund me if I accidentally lowball my prices and lose money at first. Should I still go for retainer first or jump in with this model?

Once again thank you so much!

I did run some brand awareness ads for my brand before getting clients. My Facebook page alone now has over 5000 likes. You can get these cheap from places like Bangladesh to get you started.

As far as the leads are concerned we and the place they are going to are one and the same. Never had a single issue with anyone saying I didn't know you are a middle man etc.

For leads I'm running Facebook ads using a combination of messenger, landing pages and lead forms. Yes I also have a website for my brand.

I charge a flat rate for shows and this is important. If you worked on a revenue share your money would then depend on them closing not to mention telling you the truth on what happened. What if they were made to wait longer than normal for their appointment? Or the staff were rude to them and they walked out without paying - why should I not get paid in that instance? So it's a flat rate. If they close for $750 I still only take my flat rate.

Regarding Ad spend i pay for this all on American Express Gold card, which is paid back in full at the end of the month. I can then use the points in exchange for flights, hotels etc. In the US you can also get lot better benefits from that card, like spend $5000 a week and get 4x the reward in points. So when you start to scale you can probably travel the world for free on the points. Either way it gives you a way of paying for ads and then getting paid from the client before you pay your card balance off. So it's good for cash flow.

If you some research in a niche and have some capital to pay for ads then you can do pay per show. Obviously I'm not going to tell you what to do but it's just what is working for me.

ReeZ

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Oct 9, 2016
What price range are you talking about here?

I think it'd work great in a low/mid-range - and it's a new interesting manner of doing it

But I do see some problems doing this in the higher-ends. But it's definitively a new opportunity that if appropriate, others should test out as well.

Paul David

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 17, 2015
England
What price range are you talking about here?

I think it'd work great in a low/mid-range - and it's a new interesting manner of doing it

But I do see some problems doing this in the higher-ends. But it's definitively a new opportunity that if appropriate, others should test out as well.

It all depends on the niche and the offer of course. In my situation I spend around £300 a month per client and get paid £60 for every appointment that's conducted. So with 100 clients I'd be spending out £30,000 a month in ad spend so you have to work up to scaling.

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
I did run some brand awareness ads for my brand before getting clients. My Facebook page alone now has over 5000 likes. You can get these cheap from places like Bangladesh to get you started.

As far as the leads are concerned we and the place they are going to are one and the same. Never had a single issue with anyone saying I didn't know you are a middle man etc.

For leads I'm running Facebook ads using a combination of messenger, landing pages and lead forms. Yes I also have a website for my brand.

I charge a flat rate for shows and this is important. If you worked on a revenue share your money would then depend on them closing not to mention telling you the truth on what happened. What if they were made to wait longer than normal for their appointment? Or the staff were rude to them and they walked out without paying - why should I not get paid in that instance? So it's a flat rate. If they close for $750 I still only take my flat rate.

Regarding Ad spend i pay for this all on American Express Gold card, which is paid back in full at the end of the month. I can then use the points in exchange for flights, hotels etc. In the US you can also get lot better benefits from that card, like spend $5000 a week and get 4x the reward in points. So when you start to scale you can probably travel the world for free on the points. Either way it gives you a way of paying for ads and then getting paid from the client before you pay your card balance off. So it's good for cash flow.

If you some research in a niche and have some capital to pay for ads then you can do pay per show. Obviously I'm not going to tell you what to do but it's just what is working for me.
Awesome. I'm a bit confused, when you say leads do you mean your clients or shows? I know you run FB Ads to get clients but do you also use them for shows? And what do you mean by yo target around their business address?

Is there a specific calendar platform you like? Do customers book directly to the calendar or could it work with a simple email/call back form before booking for them? Nevermind. I see you use High-level (which btw looks amazing).

I'm still worried about the middle man aspect. Are you just upfront about it on the LP? Example: "We'll book you with a trusted service provider in your area."

One example is 1800unlocks.com. They're obviously a lead generator vs "JoeLocalLocksmith.com". How do you create enough trust with the customer?

LAST question I promise! What would you think about doing this for residential and commercial cleaners? I've got a good idea for a brand name for the niche and the domain is available.

Last edited:

Paul David

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 17, 2015
England
Awesome. I'm a bit confused, when you say leads do you mean your clients or shows? I know you run FB Ads to get clients but do you also use them for shows? And what do you mean by yo target around their business address?

Is there a specific calendar platform you like? Do customers book directly to the calendar or could it work with a simple email/call back form before booking for them? Nevermind. I see you use High-level (which btw looks amazing).

I'm still worried about the middle man aspect. Are you just upfront about it on the LP? Example: "We'll book you with a trusted service provider in your area."

One example is 1800unlocks.com. They're obviously a lead generator vs "JoeLocalLocksmith.com". How do you create enough trust with the customer?

LAST question I promise! What would you think about doing this for residential and commercial cleaners? I've got a good idea for a brand name for the niche and the domain is available.

Leads are customers for my clients. When I say shows i mean showed up for their appointment.

So if another client signs up for my referral program, I duplicate the same ads I'm using for other clients and change the targeting on facebook to within 8km of where they are based.

We're not up front at being a middle man. The leads don't know that. When we book an appointment and give the address for the client we put our brand name inside their store. For example - Our address is Dominate Dental (inside HGL Dentists & Son), address. We've never had a problem.

We create trust by having a professional looking website with all our clients addresses on there and also a facebook page with lots of fans and regular posts.

Yes I think it would work for cleaning niche, it was something I'd considered myself at one point.

B22

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Dec 1, 2018
Your posts are inspirational. I immediately brainstormed for niches where this could worked and made an simple booking site for idea validation with Simplybook.
I think attracting customers with this model won't be hard because they only pay when a lead walks into their business. Who doesn't want that?! No upfront costs et cetera.

Do you have any tips for attracting the leads by FB Ads? I started yesterday with my first FB ad for my niche with $5 ad budget / day. I will run this one for 7 days and then decide to keep/kill it. The ad photo is a HQ picture of the desired situation. Targeting is very broad: females in my city.

Paul David

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 17, 2015
England
Your posts are inspirational. I immediately brainstormed for niches where this could worked and made an simple booking site for idea validation with Simplybook.
I think attracting customers with this model won't be hard because they only pay when a lead walks into their business. Who doesn't want that?! No upfront costs et cetera.

Do you have any tips for attracting the leads by FB Ads? I started yesterday with my first FB ad for my niche with $5 ad budget / day. I will run this one for 7 days and then decide to keep/kill it. The ad photo is a HQ picture of the desired situation. Targeting is very broad: females in my city.

Yes it's extremely simple to sign up clients.

Are you running FB ads to get leads to send to the clients or get clients to send the leads to?

For leads to send to clients, just set up your targeting and have an attractive offer in the ad. Remember people aren't generally on Facebook to shop so it must be something to stop them from scrolling past. Call out their pain point at the top. Check out Groupon offers in your niche and see what people are buying.

For Ads to get clients, simply craft an ad explaining that you have customers who need their services and you're looking for someone to send these customers to. And emphasize that they paying nothing until a customer has arrived.

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
Leads are customers for my clients. When I say shows i mean showed up for their appointment.

So if another client signs up for my referral program, I duplicate the same ads I'm using for other clients and change the targeting on facebook to within 8km of where they are based.

We're not up front at being a middle man. The leads don't know that. When we book an appointment and give the address for the client we put our brand name inside their store. For example - Our address is Dominate Dental (inside HGL Dentists & Son), address. We've never had a problem.

We create trust by having a professional looking website with all our clients addresses on there and also a facebook page with lots of fans and regular posts.

Yes I think it would work for cleaning niche, it was something I'd considered myself at one point.
Cool. I just signed up for Highlevel. How do you manage your account? Did you add your brand as an account or is your brand the agency and your sub accounts are your clients?

B22

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Dec 1, 2018
I'm using FB Ads to get leads to send to the clients. Thank for the tip I will keep that in mind!

Paul David

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 17, 2015
England
Cool. I just signed up for Highlevel. How do you manage your account? Did you add your brand as an account or is your brand the agency and your sub accounts are your clients?

I should have sent you my affiliate link! ha.

My brand is a sub account and I run everything on that account for my clients. I have another sub account set up for signing clients.

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
I should have sent you my affiliate link! ha.

My brand is a sub account and I run everything on that account for my clients. I have another sub account set up for signing clients.
Ha! Totally forgot about that.

Ok. I think I get it. I’ll probably just have to play around with it.

I saw that each sub account has its own calendar and client portal login.

How do you manage all of your clients with different calendars if you only have one calendar for them to log into and mark no shows?

Maybe I’m misunderstanding it.

Shouldn’t it go:
—AGENCY ACCOUNT (Your brand)
——CLIENT SUBACCOUNT (The client)
———CALENDAR (The clients calendar, portal, site, etc)

Like if you've got 2 different clients in two different cities, how do you manage leads coming in for those different locations, if you're managing both from one sub account?

Last edited:

Paul David

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 17, 2015
England
Ha! Totally forgot about that.

Ok. I think I get it. I’ll probably just have to play around with it.

I saw that each sub account has its own calendar and client portal login.

How do you manage all of your clients with different calendars if you only have one calendar for them to log into and mark no shows?

Maybe I’m misunderstanding it.

Shouldn’t it go:
—AGENCY ACCOUNT (Your brand)
——CLIENT SUBACCOUNT (The client)
———CALENDAR (The clients calendar, portal, site, etc)

Like if you've got 2 different clients in two different cities, how do you manage leads coming in for those different locations, if you're managing both from one sub account?

Yes that’s the way most people who do it that are running ads on their clients Facebook pages.

As I’m running all ads on my own page I use one sub account. I have multiple calendars set up inside that sub account for each client and also different campaigns and triggers for automation. I add a tag when the lead comes in so it goes into the correct campaign for that client.

Then I just give my clients access to their own calendar only which you can do in settings.

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
Yes that’s the way most people who do it that are running ads on their clients Facebook pages.

As I’m running all ads on my own page I use one sub account. I have multiple calendars set up inside that sub account for each client and also different campaigns and triggers for automation. I add a tag when the lead comes in so it goes into the correct campaign for that client.

Then I just give my clients access to their own calendar only which you can do in settings.
Ok cool. I guess I couldn’t find the setting but I’ll look again. Thanks!

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
Did you upgrade to the additional package for the Zapier integration? Do you think its necessary?

Last edited:

B22

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Dec 1, 2018
Yes it's extremely simple to sign up clients.

Are you running FB ads to get leads to send to the clients or get clients to send the leads to?

For leads to send to clients, just set up your targeting and have an attractive offer in the ad. Remember people aren't generally on Facebook to shop so it must be something to stop them from scrolling past. Call out their pain point at the top. Check out Groupon offers in your niche and see what people are buying.

For Ads to get clients, simply craft an ad explaining that you have customers who need their services and you're looking for someone to send these customers to. And emphasize that they paying nothing until a customer has arrived.
How do you come up with an offer for the people that want a treatment? Do you do this in consultation with the client that is providing the treatment? I think you need to because the price lists of the treatments will be displayed in the building of the treatment provider, so you cannot make something up like from €200 discounted to €160. Of course you want to provide a legit offer not a fake one. How you deal with this?

Paul David

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 17, 2015
England
How do you come up with an offer for the people that want a treatment? Do you do this in consultation with the client that is providing the treatment? I think you need to because the price lists of the treatments will be displayed in the building of the treatment provider, so you cannot make something up like from €200 discounted to €160. Of course you want to provide a legit offer not a fake one. How you deal with this?

We use the same offer for every client. So the client has to agree to the offer to become a partner.

We tell them the offer not the other way around.

Paul David

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 17, 2015
England

B22

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Dec 1, 2018
We use the same offer for every client. So the client has to agree to the offer to become a partner.

We tell them the offer not the other way around.
That's a smart move because it simplifies the system indeed. But how do you sell the treatment provider to the idea of having to pay you €60 per appointment + also giving a discount to the people that want a treatment? Doesn't this take up a large amount of their profit?

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
That's a smart move because it simplifies the system indeed. But how do you sell the treatment provider to the idea of having to pay you €60 per appointment + also giving a discount to the people that want a treatment? Doesn't this take up a large amount of their profit?
I’d imagine you would want to go for high ticket services or lots of volume.

Paul David

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 17, 2015
England

No because if we use dental as an example a retainer or invisalign can cost $6000 so they don't need many clients to make a profit.

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
No because if we use dental as an example a retainer or invisalign can cost $6000 so they don't need many clients to make a profit.
Hey Paul, I’ve been working on this for the carpet cleaning niche but I think customer value is too low ($150-$300) AND you don’t really book an appointment to go meet a carpet cleaner.

I think I would need lots of volume to make it up.

Maybe I can implement an instant rough quote feature into the SMS campaign or is all this too much trouble for low value services?

Paul David

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 17, 2015
England
Hey Paul, I’ve been working on this for the carpet cleaning niche but I think customer value is too low ($150-$300) AND you don’t really book an appointment to go meet a carpet cleaner.

I think I would need lots of volume to make it up.

Maybe I can implement an instant rough quote feature into the SMS campaign or is all this too much trouble for low value services?

For carpet cleaners you would 1 offer, like 3 rooms for $149, and free hall included or something. Then send them to a messenger bot and have different options for more rooms as an upsell. And they choose which one they want.

It's lower value but you can book 10 appointments per day for carpet cleaners. As in use the messenger bot so the lead can select a suitable time for the job to be done. Then send that information to the cleaner to follow up.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.