The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Intense job at a startup. What kind of side business can I build?

Anything considered a "hustle" and not necessarily a CENTS-based Fastlane

ycee

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Sep 22, 2019
Hey guys,

I'm fresh outta college. 21. Studied engineering. I interned at a startup for the last 4 months, they are now offering me a full time job since I've graduated.

This startup is in the B2B fintech space, I get to work with the CEO and investors first hand, got to learn a lot of shit in the last 4 months as an intern. It's a small 8 people company(including me)

The problem with the full time job is that they're paying too little. Can't even make rent with that money, that little. But I live with my parents for now. This is thanks to the COVID crisis putting everyone into a cash crunch. I am getting some ESOPs though.

I like the role, it's focused around growth(sales, bizdev, marketing) and a bit of product management. I think it will help me build the right knowledge necessary to start my own startup 3 to 5 years from now.

I wanna move out of my parents house. Looking to start something on the side. Any recommendations on what I can do? I will be working hard at the startup, say a 11 to 13 hour commitment per day. What are some things I can do that would help me build some cashflow on the side?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Odysseus M Jones

[B...{r<°∆°>}--O--{<°∆°>k}...E]
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Feb 2, 2020
What are some things I can do that would help me build some cashflow on the side?
If you haven't found inspiration from all the gold & notable posts you must've read since you joined 8 months ago...

When you've made billions you'll look back on your first post & laugh when you ask yourself "did I really say that?"

You can make me eat humble pie then too.
Humble pie, that's just given me an idea...

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Hey guys,

I'm fresh outta college. 21. Studied engineering. I interned at a startup for the last 4 months, they are now offering me a full time job since I've graduated.

This startup is in the B2B fintech space, I get to work with the CEO and investors first hand, got to learn a lot of shit in the last 4 months as an intern. It's a small 8 people company(including me)

The problem with the full time job is that they're paying too little. Can't even make rent with that money, that little. But I live with my parents for now. This is thanks to the COVID crisis putting everyone into a cash crunch. I am getting some ESOPs though.

I like the role, it's focused around growth(sales, bizdev, marketing) and a bit of product management. I think it will help me build the right knowledge necessary to start my own startup 3 to 5 years from now.

I wanna move out of my parents house. Looking to start something on the side. Any recommendations on what I can do? I will be working hard at the startup, say a 11 to 13 hour commitment per day. What are some things I can do that would help me build some cashflow on the side?
What about providing services using the skills you're getting paid for in the startup?

When I was doing Google Ads in a startup I had Google Ads clients on the side.

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
You just got dream job - no, not for cash - you got two things given to you on a plate.
The first, minor one, is you get one bullet point on your CV - worked at Fintech startup.
The second, major one, is you get not only to see for yourself how startup is being made but also you get paid for that.

Since you are on fastlane forum - the first thing will give you one more benefit for being chosen to be invested in or finding partners.
The second one is a free lesson in entrepreneurship. All the MBA's, courses and books won't teach you what you will learn in the trenches.

So to sum up, take the job, learn everything you can about building and running startup, find painpoints, run your own company.

That would be my recommendation.

j-ryanh

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 21, 2020
Tennessee
One of the biggest ones that I think has an opportunity now is building up Facebook groups. It's pretty easy to re-purpose content and build a nice audience you can sell to.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
affiliate marketing or selling some product on the side could be a start, ecommerce isn't to hard to run.

Prodox

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Jun 1, 2020
Tokyo
I was in the same situation as you.

I got a job working part-time as a software engineer during uni, then when I graduated I joined the company full time.

Also a B2B fintech startup.

I learnt a lot there as you have to touch many parts of the business and you are basically working along-side all the C-level people.

I grew much faster than I would have joining larger company, my pay wasn't bad though.

Then the company got bought out and I got a lump sum of cash as they bought my stock options, my pay also over doubled overnight.

Hopefully when you join you get stock options or some form of equity compensation. Then ideally the company goes public or gets bought out and they purchase your options.

Although it's not where I want to be forever, I have and am learning a lot about business development here, and earning a decent amount of cash that I am using to build my own business.

Good luck.

G

Guest1413tpa

So to sum up, take the job, learn everything you can about building and running startup, find painpoints, run your own company.

You should put this into stone. Its a lesson I have learned working at a startup -> There are many issues internally that cause the company to fail or hold it back.

If you can hone in one of those specific problems (ie an example I had/am still thinking-> Honing in on processes and SOPs across revenue ops that cause inefficiency), then you will be set.

Insight into products/Industry through a startup is immense also.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore
Hey guys,

Are you given enough shares to work as a co-founder? Seems like you get long hours without much pay.

Do you believe in the business?

kleine2

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Sep 15, 2013
Hey guys,

I agree with @Kid and @JScott.
Focus on learning and getting as much as you can out of this job.
Doing something else on the side will probably be more harm than good if you are already working that many hours.

Knugs

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Jan 10, 2016
Hey guys,

Equity vesting scheme with a reduced cliff with immediate payout option with acquisition as a balance to taking reduced pay. They probably have virtual shares (ESOP) options from their last investor term sheet too.

You will probably be able to cash in a few %.

Fintech startups move quite quickly.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.