The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

GOLD! If You're Doing This, You're Fooling Yourself That You're an Independent Thinker

mclaren

New Contributor
Jun 8, 2016
So true. Because of this I've wasted years. Literally wasted. I tried replicating other people's success in various fields but the thing is I never even got past the first step in those endeavors because I could never focus. Always reading differing opinions; some saying now is the best time to get into this market while others say the complete opposite. Then I would fall into the trap and start saying to myself things like, "maybe this isn't for you--there's too much competition here" or "before I can start I need to have ABCD...XYZ" and I'd drop it and look for the next hot thing.

Well, fck that. I've found something that interests me and more importantly requires some of my strongest skills. So I'm going to pursue that. There are a few verticals in this field and I'm already reading conflicting views on them. For a second I almost fell into the trap. But after reading this, fck that. I'm just going to pursue the one I think makes the most sense for me and disregard the noise that I read. Maybe I just need to get off internet forums. Lol. Also, maybe this belongs in my diary...

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Andy Black

Any colour, as long as it's red.
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane
Speedway Pass
May 20, 2014
Ireland
(Posted in my progress thread here.)

You don't need to be on any lists brother.

I find consuming content (reading, podcasts, courses, etc) a very slippery slope.

I'll do research to solve a problem right in front of me, and end up getting sucked down rabbit-holes.

There's so many people out there who's goal is to turn us into their consumer. (If I hear another word about funnels, webinars, and marketing automation I'll go spare! The world seems to have gone mad for sales funnels and Facebook bots - or so my Facebook feed would have me believe).

Someone recently told me something when I said I was performing "the great unsubscribe":

"You don't need to be on any lists brother."

"All you need is within now."

"Be a leader not a follower."

(and previously)

"You are enough."

Powerful words that help me to forge my own path and avoid the rabbit-holes.

jlwilliams

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 14, 2014
Excellent thread.

Man, you hit on a piece of poison that I choked on for some time over the years. The whole doomsday, end of the world is coming, apocalyptic trip is a killer. It's fine for cheesy movie scripts but if you let it into your head it will piss on your mindset. I'm not saying that everything is sunshine and lollipops, but keeping ones head in Rick Grimes mode is just counter productive.

OP
OP
MTF

MTF

Never give up
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
May 1, 2011
There are a few verticals in this field and I'm already reading conflicting views on them. For a second I almost fell into the trap.
Yeah, the worst thing about it is that even if you're aware of it you can still fall into the trap again and again. Granted, research is important, but if you encounter conflicting views, go with what you think is best, not this or that expert.

Man, you hit on a piece of poison that I choked on for some time over the years. The whole doomsday, end of the world is coming, apocalyptic trip is a killer. It's fine for cheesy movie scripts but if you let it into your head it will piss on your mindset. I'm not saying that everything is sunshine and lollipops, but keeping ones head in Rick Grimes mode is just counter productive.
It's super easy to fall victim to this if you're even slightly interested in investing (people predicting the biggest financial collapse ever) or survival (the end is near brother, stock up on ammo and canned food while you can).

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
Sorry if this momentarily derails this thread, but being somewhat cynical I ask:
Q:
How do you identify an independent thinker, also known in some circles as a non-conformist?
A: They all wear non-conformist labels like Diesel.

Walter

Last edited:

jlwilliams

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 14, 2014
So true. Because of this I've wasted years. Literally wasted. I tried replicating other people's success in various fields but the thing is I never even got past the first step in those endeavors because I could never focus. Always reading differing opinions; some saying now is the best time to get into this market while others say the complete opposite. Then I would fall into the trap and start saying to myself things like, "maybe this isn't for you--there's too much competition here" or "before I can start I need to have ABCD...XYZ" and I'd drop it and look for the next hot thing.

Well, fck that. I've found something that interests me and more importantly requires some of my strongest skills. So I'm going to pursue that. There are a few verticals in this field and I'm already reading conflicting views on them. For a second I almost fell into the trap. But after reading this, fck that. I'm just going to pursue the one I think makes the most sense for me and disregard the noise that I read. Maybe I just need to get off internet forums. Lol. Also, maybe this belongs in my diary...

Are you inside my head? Am I splitting into multiple personalities and posting under different identities? It could be, or it could be that you and I have had eerily similar struggles. Good news seems to be we are both on a track that feels right and both shutting out the noise to bite it like a pit bull.

Then again, if you are me.... get back to work.

BigDaddyKane

Contributor
Jan 19, 2011
you should make investments that are compatible with you, not with the other guy.
I'm going to think for myself and invest my resources in what I personally believe in, not what other investors believe to be the right choice.
This. This has been where I've been lately with my e-commerce product. It's a simple product but the message behind the brand and the strategy I'm taking to it is compatible to the context of what I know and my resources.

I remember 50 cent in a video once (I cant find it at the moment) saying something to the effect of "Nobody can beat me at being me." Oftentimes, that unique personal perspective on a business model, product, social construct, or any other piece of info is what can make the difference in the opportunity before you.

Reactions: MTF
OP
OP
MTF

MTF

Never give up
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
May 1, 2011
@BigDaddyKane, 100%. Far too many people today would rather listen to someone else than to their gut (and by extension, they don't value themselves and their unique abilities enough). I'm still learning how to go with my instincts over seeking external validation.

MJ DeMarco

Administrator
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 23, 2007
Fountain Hills, AZ
Thread marked GOLD.

I further discovered that my main filter for the best investment opportunity was motivated by the belief that the world was about to end. I'm optimistic about the future, but somehow this belief still anchored itself in my head. This made me believe that the only worthy investment is real estate because it exists in the physical world. And you know, the world is about to collapse and soon there won't be Internet, electricity, banks, and the stock market. Stock up on real estate before they pull the plug.

The objective truth is that the world today is increasingly more digital, and if it were ever to revert, it would be the contents of your pantry that would be valuable, not the pieces of paper proving you own a certain building (which, by the way, would be as worthless as your stocks or bonds). I should have learned how to invest in canned food, not real estate.
I believe a home you own, free and clear, stocked with food, water, guns, and ammo is the best investment you can make, based on your "end of world" theory. Not only that, your home/residence will always be your biggest expense in your lifetime. Wouldn't say that's personal advice, but facts.

If you want a personal glimpse on what the best assets are during a global apocalypse event, read this book...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0765317583/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20

They are home, food, water, guns, ammo, chemicals/gas (propane, kerosene, gas) medical supplies...

OP
OP
MTF

MTF

Never give up
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
May 1, 2011
Wow, thanks @MJ DeMarco for marking this thread gold.

I've read this book and some other survival fiction novels, too (I highly recommend The Survivalist series by Arthur T. Bradley though the post-apocalyptic scenario is far-fetched). All these assets are definitely useful, though I'd say that by far the most important assets are health/fitness and real-world skills.

Fortunately I no longer believe in doomsday scenarios and prefer to spend my energy thinking how to fix what's broken. Seems like a better use of time than worrying.

Hijena1

Bronze Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Oct 1, 2018
Germany
This is incredible. Yesterday, I was thinking about the same subject and now this pops up.

Their success in their businesss is the by product of an entire lifetime of experiences that some random forum dweller on the internet can't replicate.
Very well said, thank you Lowtek.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe to become an INSIDER.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom