The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

STOP Cheating Yourself and Earn What You're Worth!

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
How to Stop Cheating Yourself, And Earn What You Deserve.
Question: Is the effort you're expending worth the reward?

New from the Fastlane newsletter (click link to subscribe, registered forum users can OPT-IN via their account details in control panel.)

----

Two hikers, both smitten by the Fastlane entrepreneurial bug, stood at the base of two different mountains, faces steeled, resolve unshaken. They weren't climbing for the view. No, these mountains had something else that lures you, me, and every dream-chaser up here: The Reward.

One mountain, which appeared less treacherous, promised a $50,000 trophy for the relentless soul who reached its peak. The other? A staggering $25,000,000. Two mountains, two hikers, two entrepreneurial dreams. But here's the twisted truth: the mountains were exactly the same in every jagged rock and treacherous slope.

The first hiker, call him Billy Basics, chose the $50K mountain. He saw it as a win as the early path up the slope, a quick jaunt, looked easier. He thought, "I'll just start this dropshipping t-shirt company that every guru told me to start and earn some quick bucks."

But that mountain, it had its own ideas, its own deception.

You see, countless other hikers saw the same thing Billy Basics saw: An easier early trek—a low entry barrier and a low bar for skills—NOT knowing that the mountain would still throw its storms, avalanches, and back-breaking trails at him later rather than sooner. The higher he climbed, the more he struggled.

The second hiker? Let's name him Sammy Success. He went for the $25M mountain, despite it looking more difficult. And guess what? His mountain didn't care about the prize either. It tossed the same hell at him, each step a battle, each week a different challenge to overcome.

Both hikers fought, fueled by a desire for independence, driven by their entrepreneurial spirit. Each wound was a lesson learned; each stumble a failure turned to wisdom.

Now, here's the gut punch: They both reached the top. They both won the prize. But Sammy, oh Sammy, he danced at the summit, knowing he worked hard and won a fortune that changed his life and his family.

Billy?

He just stared at Sammy, angry because he just endured the same hardened journey, except Billy only got to pay his bills for the year.

Both hikers succeeded. And both endured a very similar struggle.

But one changed his life; the other did not.

You see, the mountains don't care about the prize. They don't care about the business you're in. They're going to chew you up and spit you out, all the same.

No matter if you're starting a software company, a coffee shop, a landscape company, or an affiliate marketing business, you will pay the price in blood, sweat, and tears.

You can't avoid the mountain, so why reward yourself poorly?
Why are you cheating yourself with prizes that won't change your life?

This bring us to another truth:

You can't choose your mountain—the choice is an illusion—but you can choose your reward.

How?

Pursue the right business. And the right business has the potential to change your life forever.

I mention this because a forum user recently expressed frustration with her business. Her business is publishing, namely, a niche sketchbook that a specific subset of artists could use. Is this relative value? Maybe.

The problems presented in this business venture are multi-dimensional.

First, the market size is terribly small. This aspiring entrepreneur is climbing a mountain with an understated, tiny reward. Her struggle will be as tricky as any entrepreneur, and yet, her reward for massive success is unlikely to change her life other than the experience it provides.

Second, the ability to access the market is also terribly difficult. How do you reach or advertise to this small subset of artists?

It's like fishing for needles in haystacks, and once you find those needles, you need to convert those needles into buyers.

Just writing about it gives me anxiety.

Graphically speaking, you can plot any business venture on what I call an Effort/Reward Matrix. Here it is:

EffortRewardMatrix.png

Notice the X-axis where there is no easy path. All paths are challenging, or worse, super hard. The problem is, most new entrepreneurs dabble in the STRESS SPOT and reward themselves poorly for success. If you could plot all the new business ventures on the Effort/Reward Matrix, it would look like this:

ERDistribution.png

Notice the congestion in the lower right quadrant, in the Stress Spot. This congestion also means more competition—a fact that drives up costs and lowers margins.

Optimally, your business venture needs to land in the SWEET SPOT, where moderate success can be life-changing. How? Follow the CENTS Framework and make sure your target audience is accessible.

• CONTROL: Do you have reasonable control over your venture?
  • ENTRY: How easy is it to compete?
  • NEED: Is there significant demand? Are you solving problems or making things better?
  • TIME: Can you eventually divest yourself from the operation?
  • SCALE: Is the market large enough to change your life, and more importantly, do you have accessibility? Are there advertising mediums where you can target your audience precisely, like a marketing sniper?

As for that struggling entrepreneur trying to sell a sketchbook? Here's where I plot her venture, labeled F:

ERMatrixPlot.png

Compare this with my current (and past) business ventures (A,B,C,D); they all land in or near the Sweet Spot. In fact, my productivity venture (D), GoalSumo.com, lands up near the top in terms of difficulty (and reward), yet, I don't expect success in this business venture to be any easier than running a forum or a publishing company.

In totality, I expect the mountain climb to be difficult, all the same. But rewards are significant.

The Effort/Reward Matrix also demonstrates why I no longer invest in single-family real estate; its plot on the E/R Matrix just don't move my meter. Selling t-shirts? Starting a coffee shop? Same thing. These ventures are equally difficult, but their rewards are too low.

There is another detracting factor: Return on Time Invested, and Return on Stress (or mental bandwidth, hassle, etc.).

More on these two critical items in our next issue...

So, here's a few questions to consider:

1. What reward awaits you atop your entrepreneurial mountain? Life-changing? Or a pat on the back and a few blue ribbons for your wall?
  2. Will your arduous journey be worth its reward? Or will it require another mountain journey?
  3. Where would you plot your business on the Effort/Reward Matrix?

Ensure your entrepreneurial journey is worth the trek because the journey won't spare you. Choose wisely, fight doggedly, and may your reward change your life forever.

- MJ

PS: I created GradeMyBusinessIdea.com to help grade and evaluate business ideas on the CENTS + Accessibility scale. Feel free to try it out free.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas
newsletter Aggregator:

1. Control:
-Yes, exception. This web/mobile application is reliant on publisher newsletters.

2. Entry:
-Not easy, technological challenges to create summarized newsletters. This is where the value skews is. Also don't forget the legal battles. Would need to learn NLP, Coding (Maybe Laravel), or AI.

3. Need:
-Not so sure, I need a stronger market sample size to justify the need and to receive feedback from the buyers.

4. Time:
-A web/mobile application can separate myself from time and run by itself. Probably will need a human resources system such as hiring a developer to create the product.

5. Scale:
-Everyone uses email. Tons of people in the market to target.

Grade Level: Haven't checked.

DCG

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Nov 15, 2022
I got a D+ on my business idea, not sure what to do now.

FutureD

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
600%
May 1, 2019
This post just confirms everything that's been going through in my head lately.
I've been running a street food business for over 10 years. It's never going to bring the financial rewards I'm after and the trek has not been kind physically and slow progress mentally.
Time to seriously start a new direction!

Bekit

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Aug 13, 2018
I love this post so much! Wish we had the old rep bank so I could give it more than just a +3 :gold:

Here, take my extra gold!!
:gold: :gold: :gold: :gold: :gold: :gold: :gold: :gold: :gold: :gold: :gold: :gold:

Idea: What if you had a special colored tag for the posts that you send out by email? I always read my emails and then go looking for the post on the forum, and I often have trouble scanning through the recent posts to identify which one came from the email.

I know that you have the "discuss this topic" button in the email to find the post (which is how I finally got here after I looked) but I would still argue for the tag for a few reasons:

1) Your emailed posts have a track record of being MASSIVE VALUE BOMBS, and I don't want to miss a single one - but if I've missed the email for whatever reason, I would have a second chance to notice it by its tag in the "recent posts" area of the general forum.

2) It would give people a way to quickly find all these posts if they want to binge-read them.

3) It would help incentivize subscribing to the email list since people would see what great content they'll get.

Anyway, just a thought. Thanks again for this incredible read.

• Admin

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018

Lead, don’t follow​

At least three threads made me think that we overthink things too often. And MJ’s post here is GOLD because it addresses the practical - getting the reward that’s bigger by applying CENTS! If you are going to climb, might as well make it worth your while.

Surprise, surprise… even before choosing a mountain, there is more discussion on spirituality, mindset etc. The forum is littered with these posts and for a good reason. How does it all tie into the practical way of eventually getting that freedom?

Success is about making good decisions.​

Success in business is about making good decisions. Choose the right mountain, get rich. Wrong mountain, nope. In short, more good decisions = more success. Business world is complex, to deal with complexity we must have a way, a method. Things will get hard and then harder and when you think you can’t take it anymore, it’ll get even harder. Under extreme stress, we make the worst decisions. That’s where I find a lot of value in Eckhart Tolle and Michael Singer approach to spirituality.

Yes, I fundamentally disagree with the “leaf in the wind, life force will take me there, just surrender to it - Micky Singer approach”. That can elicit inaction and action is a must. Ironically, I don’t see Singer living that life, nor Tolle. Both are very accomplished because of the ACTION they took.

Lead, don’t follow​

What’s the difference?

Plenty here no longer follow David Goggins’ stuff because people got hurt. Plenty hate on Singer! Why? Because if you follow anyone blindly and literally - at best you become them, and it never turns out “best”. Trust me. At worst… you get hurt.

Instead, do your own thinking. Goggins teaches you that when you are dead tired physically, you are barely at 40% used battery and still have 60%. If you do what he does, expect to be in the hospital. But if you are a wimp on a rainy day when you need to be out … don’t blame Goggins. Use his example to become fitter.

Same with Singer and Tolle. Follow them blindly and you may think that Singer didn’t work hard. But the dude worked incredibly hard. Even meditation - if you think it’s easy, you aren’t doing it right.

… speaking of meditation… I’d like to say something that many will find shocking.

**Doing nothing can be the best thing to do.**
Meditation can be described as “doing nothing”, and if you agree, then let me tell you that I’ve made the most money, had the most success and solved the biggest problems after my mind did nothing and I had clarity.

Imagine a glass full of water mixed with dirt. Dirt can settle down and glass becomes clear if you don’t shake it. Our daily dopamine assaults make our minds swirling with dirt in the water. You can’t see through it. You can’t make good decisions! Clear you mind, let that dirt settle.

Does that mean you should live like a monk? Meditate hours daily, read 52+ books a year, work out 2 hours, nap, cook good food, spend time in nature, enjoy travel with family and then be surprised you didn’t succeed in business? You get my point.

But I’ll put it another way… I think things like meditation in my 20s would have given me less value than it does now. That’s because in your 20s, you don’t need to make the world any more complicated, it’s simpler for a reason… with years, complexity will naturally show up more often. Think about adding family, your business evolves, your parents become dependent on you, health weakens etc. The world naturally gets more complicated. And having a method to deal with it, helps. For me it’s meditation. It doesn’t matter what you use - as long as it works.

Plenty of people then will ask, OK my business doesn’t meet CENTS - what should I do? How do I find one that does? What are you not telling me?

Simplify.

Action > Inaction. Start somewhere and constantly look for market feedback. That’s like climbing that mountain and looking for people who are coming back down. Ask them “did you get $50k or $25MM?”, this way you know which mountain you are climbing! Skills you acquire climbing some of that $50k mountain are same you’ll use for the $25MM - meaning that even if you climbed part way up the wrong one - it’s fine! As long as you know it and changed your direction.

Example: trading on Craigslist can be profitable and simple. Buy well, sell higher. Later you can graduate to evaluating business that are listed for sale. There are patterns. You can see what comes naturally to you. You can learn how things work or don’t work. You are getting ready to climb that mountain!

My example: for some reason I make great money in Real Estate, always have. So sure, someone doing a SAAS or some new app that is going to do an exit at 10 figures… isn’t my path. But RE allows for great earnings, great rewards. And so I double down on it. I use TM meditation to clear my mind, to make better decisions, grow the business. I couldn’t tap into that power in my 20s, I didn’t have the platform to test things. So while in my 20s I tried and failed countless businesses, while getting education, then jobs … Through testing I figured out what works for me. I climbed 10% of a lot of mountains and had to come back down. And that's not just OK, that's NORMAL.

TL;DL
  • Success = more good decisions.
  • Good decisions come from clear mind.
  • Lead, don’t follow. Goggins, Singer, Tolle - take what works for you from them, and lead. Ignore the rest.
  • To know what you are good at - start. Action > inaction. World unlocks for those who take action.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario

Lead, don’t follow​

At least three threads made me think that we overthink things too often. And MJ’s post here is GOLD because it addresses the practical - getting the reward that’s bigger by applying CENTS! If you are going to climb, might as well make it worth your while.

Surprise, surprise… even before choosing a mountain, there is more discussion on spirituality, mindset etc. The forum is littered with these posts and for a good reason. How does it all tie into the practical way of eventually getting that freedom?

Success is about making good decisions.​

Success in business is about making good decisions. Choose the right mountain, get rich. Wrong mountain, nope. In short, more good decisions = more success. Business world is complex, to deal with complexity we must have a way, a method. Things will get hard and then harder and when you think you can’t take it anymore, it’ll get even harder. Under extreme stress, we make the worst decisions. That’s where I find a lot of value in Eckhart Tolle and Michael Singer approach to spirituality.

Yes, I fundamentally disagree with the “leaf in the wind, life force will take me there, just surrender to it - Micky Singer approach”. That can elicit inaction and action is a must. Ironically, I don’t see Singer living that life, nor Tolle. Both are very accomplished because of the ACTION they took.

Lead, don’t follow​

What’s the difference?

Plenty here no longer follow David Goggins’ stuff because people got hurt. Plenty hate on Singer! Why? Because if you follow anyone blindly and literally - at best you become them, and it never turns out “best”. Trust me. At worst… you get hurt.

Instead, do your own thinking. Goggins teaches you that when you are dead tired physically, you are barely at 40% used battery and still have 60%. If you do what he does, expect to be in the hospital. But if you are a wimp on a rainy day when you need to be out … don’t blame Goggins. Use his example to become fitter.

Same with Singer and Tolle. Follow them blindly and you may think that Singer didn’t work hard. But the dude worked incredibly hard. Even meditation - if you think it’s easy, you aren’t doing it right.

… speaking of meditation… I’d like to say something that many will find shocking.

**Doing nothing can be the best thing to do.**
Meditation can be described as “doing nothing”, and if you agree, then let me tell you that I’ve made the most money, had the most success and solved the biggest problems after my mind did nothing and I had clarity.

Imagine a glass full of water mixed with dirt. Dirt can settle down and glass becomes clear if you don’t shake it. Our daily dopamine assaults make our minds swirling with dirt in the water. You can’t see through it. You can’t make good decisions! Clear you mind, let that dirt settle.

Does that mean you should live like a monk? Meditate hours daily, read 52+ books a year, work out 2 hours, nap, cook good food, spend time in nature, enjoy travel with family and then be surprised you didn’t succeed in business? You get my point.

But I’ll put it another way… I think things like meditation in my 20s would have given me less value than it does now. That’s because in your 20s, you don’t need to make the world any more complicated, it’s simpler for a reason… with years, complexity will naturally show up more often. Think about adding family, your business evolves, your parents become dependent on you, health weakens etc. The world naturally gets more complicated. And having a method to deal with it, helps. For me it’s meditation. It doesn’t matter what you use - as long as it works.

Plenty of people then will ask, OK my business doesn’t meet CENTS - what should I do? How do I find one that does? What are you not telling me?

Simplify.

Action > Inaction. Start somewhere and constantly look for market feedback. That’s like climbing that mountain and looking for people who are coming back down. Ask them “did you get $50k or $25MM?”, this way you know which mountain you are climbing! Skills you acquire climbing some of that $50k mountain are same you’ll use for the $25MM - meaning that even if you climbed part way up the wrong one - it’s fine! As long as you know it and changed your direction.

Example: trading on Craigslist can be profitable and simple. Buy well, sell higher. Later you can graduate to evaluating business that are listed for sale. There are patterns. You can see what comes naturally to you. You can learn how things work or don’t work. You are getting ready to climb that mountain!

My example: for some reason I make great money in Real Estate, always have. So sure, someone doing a SAAS or some new app that is going to do an exit at 10 figures… isn’t my path. But RE allows for great earnings, great rewards. And so I double down on it. I use TM meditation to clear my mind, to make better decisions, grow the business. I couldn’t tap into that power in my 20s, I didn’t have the platform to test things. So while in my 20s I tried and failed countless businesses, while getting education, then jobs … Through testing I figured out what works for me. I climbed 10% of a lot of mountains and had to come back down. And that's not just OK, that's NORMAL.

TL;DL
  • Lead, don’t follow. Goggins, Singer, Tolle - take what works for you from them, and lead. Ignore the rest.
  • To know what you are good at - start. Action > inaction. World unlocks for those who take action.

"Remain tranquil until right action comes." - some Chinese dude

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
May 27, 2013
United States
I think I did a good job evaluating current venture from a CENTS perspective before getting going. Within the context of MJ’s post, it’s the right mountain (in terms of green zone potential)

But I definitely didn’t take these enough into account:” Return on Time Invested, and Return on Stress (or mental bandwidth, hassle, etc.). “ So I am looking forward to the subsequent posts on these topics.

I had a hunch it might be hard. In fact, I wanted it to be (Barriers). There were challenging factors upfront that I flippantly acknowledged would be a thing I would have to deal with, but didn’t really think through the long-term implications of what it would take to overcome these challenges.

I had to sacrifice things to continue climbing, that when I started out I had no intention of sacrificing.

Odds are decent that I’ll eventually reach the top of the mountain I set out for. But when looking back in hindsight, I’m not sure that I’ll think it was worth the cost paid.

But I’m halfway up, and evaluating the current situation, I’d rather continue climbing then start all over again on a different one.

Last edited:

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
May 27, 2013
United States
One of my favorite books is The Road Less Stupid.

All about carving out dedicated “thinking time” to prevent yourself from doing stupid impulsive things.

I’ve made too many completely preventable 6-figure mistakes because I didn’t take the time to properly think.

kr8nt

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Nov 24, 2022
Latvia
Thank you, for such a great post, MJ!
I've got one question, what would be the best way to actually find out whether the mountain you are climbing is a good one, rather than a hard and unrewarding one?
Would it be just as simple as contacting the people that have already climbed the same mountain and asking them? And what if they advice not to pursue the mountain, but you have this feeling inside that it is the right mountain, would it still be worth investing time into this mountain just to see whether the feeling inside was right or not?

Pink Sheep

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
92%
Apr 29, 2019
Beautiful post, and a great example why I love your work.
I had to spend a lot of time choosing which mountain to climb, as not all are advertised, some need special equipment or an INSIDERS for access.

I think the advice of "just start" ruined many years for me, as it sent me up the wrong path, set me back a lot of precious money, energy, time. Although many lessons learned has set me up for a better path this time around.

BlackMagician

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Jul 18, 2018
Mumbai, India
Through testing I figured out what works for me. I climbed 10% of a lot of mountains and had to come back down. And that's not just OK, that's NORMAL.
This is most important guys. Re read this. Punch it in your mind and when you find your right mountain, go all in

NStack

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Dec 12, 2021
This post just confirms everything that's been going through in my head lately.
I've been running a street food business for over 10 years. It's never going to bring the financial rewards I'm after and the trek has not been kind physically and slow progress mentally.
Time to seriously start a new direction!
Great that you are willing to admit this to yourself, it's hard to take a new direction after a decade.

Personally I'm looking over my shoulder to my blind spot to merge onto the Fastlane, I have been dragging my heels because I have spend over a decade in a large corporation and I am proud of what I have achieved.

MJs post was very timely as it makes me think higher than my current idea (creating a LinkedIn course on getting executive buy in) isn't in the sweet spot.

Anyways, kudos for willing to part with your initial venture and go to a new one.

Bekit

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Aug 13, 2018
But here's the twisted truth: the mountains were exactly the same in every jagged rock and treacherous slope.
Just to add on to this...

You can't even escape the jagged rocks and treacherous slopes by refusing to climb the mountain in the first place!

Here's a recent situation that illustrated this for me.

I'm staying at my parents' house for the month of August, helping my mom because my dad is up in Alaska and I didn't want her to be alone. Last Thursday, there was a lot of rain here. Due to a leak in the roof, the rain poured through the ceiling of the dining room all day. We had to move the table, move the rug, and line up a row of buckets to catch the drips.

I went up to the attic and all the insulation in the ceiling was soaking wet. I put a basin up under the rafters to catch the water dripping in so that it wouldn't continue to go down in the dining room. Then I set a timer every two hours to bail the water out of that basin so that it wouldn't overflow. The place was full of cobwebs and I got all dirty and covered with itchy fiberglass insulation while I was working up there.

The house is riddled with mold. Both of my parents are having massive health issues due to the mold, and I legitimately think their lives are being actively shortened by living here.

It's a paid-off house, but I think if the health inspector were to come here, it would be condemned immediately. So it's debatable if they'd even be able to sell it.

My dad was a slowlaner in his working years and converted to a sidewalker in his retirement. He spends hours in front of the TV every day.

But don't mistake for a second that you can avoid the trials and challenges of "climbing the mountain" by sitting around and doing nothing.

Nope.

You're going to have challenges...even life-altering challenges...regardless.

The difference is, you're not even going to have money to address the problem!

NStack

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Dec 12, 2021
Just to add on to this...

You can't even escape the jagged rocks and treacherous slopes by refusing to climb the mountain in the first place!

Here's a recent situation that illustrated this for me.

I'm staying at my parents' house for the month of August, helping my mom because my dad is up in Alaska and I didn't want her to be alone. Last Thursday, there was a lot of rain here. Due to a leak in the roof, the rain poured through the ceiling of the dining room all day. We had to move the table, move the rug, and line up a row of buckets to catch the drips.

I went up to the attic and all the insulation in the ceiling was soaking wet. I put a basin up under the rafters to catch the water dripping in so that it wouldn't continue to go down in the dining room. Then I set a timer every two hours to bail the water out of that basin so that it wouldn't overflow. The place was full of cobwebs and I got all dirty and covered with itchy fiberglass insulation while I was working up there.

The house is riddled with mold. Both of my parents are having massive health issues due to the mold, and I legitimately think their lives are being actively shortened by living here.

It's a paid-off house, but I think if the health inspector were to come here, it would be condemned immediately.

My dad was a slowlaner in his working years and converted to a sidewalker in his retirement. He spends hours in front of the TV every day.

But don't mistake for a second that you can avoid the trials and challenges of "climbing the mountain" by sitting around and doing nothing.

Nope.

You're going to have challenges...even life-altering challenges...regardless.

The difference is, you're not even going to have money to address the problem!
What a beautiful example of the fact that life will throw you challenges regardless of the path you pick. You can't avoid challenges, but you can pick the ones you want to overcome.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Thank you, for such a great post, MJ!
I've got one question, what would be the best way to actually find out whether the mountain you are climbing is a good one, rather than a hard and unrewarding one?
Would it be just as simple as contacting the people that have already climbed the same mountain and asking them? And what if they advice not to pursue the mountain, but you have this feeling inside that it is the right mountain, would it still be worth investing time into this mountain just to see whether the feeling inside was right or not?

What would a $10k day look like? Is it even possible? If not, why?

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas
If someone who's new to the spirituality realm reads Michael Springers The Untethered Soul. Be prepared to be mad for several days and not want to read the book, even throw it away lol. But I'll say it definitely has tons and tons of great value in terms of mind expansion and your viewpoints on the world. That is what heck of a book to read and finish to the average mind to comprehend the teachings alone.

Especially the mental box of thoughts and patterns we create for ourself and yet block the light of ever coming in. Or the how traumatic events that happens in our lives and how they become thorns. These thorns then stop you from living life and, thus you create a live around avoiding that thorn until you can't ignore it no more.

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas
What would a $10k day look like? Is it even possible? If not, why?
Ecommerce

$5 dollars profit per unit. In order to make $10k a day I would need to sell 2,000 units. Unit profit could increase if the product cost was high towards the $45-90 dollar range. Increased profit per unit means less units sold to reach $10k per day. If at the rate of $5 dollars per unit and 2,000 to be sold on any given day. I would need 60,000 units to be sold in order to reach $100k per month.

Logistics: Warehouse or 3PL. Could import products to the US and find fulfillment across the US. Examples could be like OneDollarFulfillment or fulfillment.com. To decrease the amount of time it takes to ship a product once ordered directly from the ecommerce website.

SAAS:

Revenue comes from subscriptions. Magnitude could be a huge play here if selling a SAAS service to B2B. At $1,000 dollar price point only 10 people a month. $100 dollar price point 100 users (B2C). If $100 dollar price point stays and I would need 100 people per day to sign up. I would need to find a TAM large enough to sell 3,000 users a month. A productracey in this case would help lower the Cost per customer acquisition or CAC on both ends.

Online Courses:

1 to 1 selling, magnitude will be the variable to manipulate. Find a large enough TAM, create a following, provide value, and then market your course by getting people to fill out a forum. Price point say $1,000 x 10 people a day = $10,000 in order to reach $100,000 I would need to only sell to 100 students per month. If the course was great and recommended to others. Hello free advertising, no CAC included.

Last edited:

parabolic

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Aug 7, 2021
Gilbert, AZ
Great post. Feeling good about my current business and the potential. I've been away from the forum for a bit working on said business so this was a welcome post to see on my return.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
1) Your emailed posts have a track record of being MASSIVE VALUE BOMBS, and I don't want to miss a single one - but if I've missed the email for whatever reason, I would have a second chance to notice it by its tag in the "recent posts" area of the general forum.

Done.

1691777531645.png

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I mentioned in this article why I no longer bother investing in single family rentals, but instead own millions in REITS.

Here's a great article that shares my philosophy why:

But I definitely didn’t take these enough into account:” Return on Time Invested, and Return on Stress (or mental bandwidth, hassle, etc.). “ So I am looking forward to the subsequent posts on these topics.

The linked article above goes a bit into ROTI and Return on Stress, but I will next week as well.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
I mentioned in this article why I no longer bother investing in single family rentals, but instead own millions in REITS.

Here's a great article that shares my philosophy why:

The linked article above goes a bit into ROTI and Return on Stress, but I will next week as well.
Very good article.

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
Here's where I plot her venture
I’m curious MJ, where would you plot my venture?

I feel I have low barriers to entry, high competition, little control (I’ve gotten 80%+ of my clients from LinkedIn, but I got banned and now it’s just my employees who can market us via LinkedIn) but the need is there, scale is there and time-freedom is there too. I’m currently down a little from $60K/mo to around $50K/mo.

At the same time, some people, say Iman Ghadzi, are making $10M+/year selling to essentially the same market I sell to (except his may be more geared to beginners whereas I’m more geared to established agencies).

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
I don't know enough of what you do.

You sell to SMMA? Like selling shovels?
I sell leads + meetings to all sorts of digital agencies, which includes SMMA, but not limited to it. I acquire the leads via cold email + LinkedIn.

Kokaka

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Aug 9, 2019

New from the Fastlane newsletter (click link to subscribe, registered forum users can OPT-IN via their account details in control panel.)

----

Two hikers, both smitten by the Fastlane entrepreneurial bug, stood at the base of two different mountains, faces steeled, resolve unshaken. They weren't climbing for the view. No, these mountains had something else that lures you, me, and every dream-chaser up here: The Reward.

One mountain, which appeared less treacherous, promised a $50,000 trophy for the relentless soul who reached its peak. The other? A staggering $25,000,000. Two mountains, two hikers, two entrepreneurial dreams. But here's the twisted truth: the mountains were exactly the same in every jagged rock and treacherous slope.

The first hiker, call him Billy Basics, chose the $50K mountain. He saw it as a win as the early path up the slope, a quick jaunt, looked easier. He thought, "I'll just start this dropshipping t-shirt company that every guru told me to start and earn some quick bucks."

You see, countless other hikers saw the same thing Billy Basics saw: An easier early trek—a low entry barrier and a low bar for skills—NOT knowing that the mountain would still throw its storms, avalanches, and back-breaking trails at him later rather than sooner. The higher he climbed, the more he struggled.

The second hiker? Let's name him Sammy Success. He went for the $25M mountain, despite it looking more difficult. And guess what? His mountain didn't care about the prize either. It tossed the same hell at him, each step a battle, each week a different challenge to overcome.

Both hikers fought, fueled by a desire for independence, driven by their entrepreneurial spirit. Each wound was a lesson learned; each stumble a failure turned to wisdom.

Now, here's the gut punch: They both reached the top. They both won the prize. But Sammy, oh Sammy, he danced at the summit, knowing he worked hard and won a fortune that changed his life and his family.

Billy?

He just stared at Sammy, angry because he just endured the same hardened journey, except Billy only got to pay his bills for the year.

You see, the mountains don't care about the prize. They don't care about the business you're in. They're going to chew you up and spit you out, all the same.

No matter if you're starting a software company, a coffee shop, a landscape company, or an affiliate marketing business, you will pay the price in blood, sweat, and tears.

You can't choose your mountain—the choice is an illusion—but you can choose your reward.

How?

Pursue the right business. And the right business has the potential to change your life forever.

I mention this because a forum user recently expressed frustration with her business. Her business is publishing, namely, a niche sketchbook that a specific subset of artists could use. Is this relative value? Maybe.

First, the market size is terribly small. This aspiring entrepreneur is climbing a mountain with an understated, tiny reward. Her struggle will be as tricky as any entrepreneur, and yet, her reward for massive success is unlikely to change her life other than the experience it provides.

Second, the ability to access the market is also terribly difficult. How do you reach or advertise to this small subset of artists?

It's like fishing for needles in haystacks, and once you find those needles, you need to convert those needles into buyers.

Graphically speaking, you can plot any business venture on what I call an Effort/Reward Matrix. Here it is:

View attachment 50658

Notice the X-axis where there is no easy path. All paths are challenging, or worse, super hard. The problem is, most new entrepreneurs dabble in the STRESS SPOT and reward themselves poorly for success. If you could plot all the new business ventures on the Effort/Reward Matrix, it would look like this:

View attachment 50660

Notice the congestion in the lower right quadrant, in the Stress Spot. This congestion also means more competition—a fact that drives up costs and lowers margins.

Optimally, your business venture needs to land in the SWEET SPOT, where moderate success can be life-changing. How? Follow the CENTS Framework and make sure your target audience is accessible.

• NEED: Is there significant demand? Are you solving problems or making things better?
  • SCALE: Is the market large enough to change your life, and more importantly, do you have accessibility? Are there advertising mediums where you can target your audience precisely, like a marketing sniper?

As for that struggling entrepreneur trying to sell a sketchbook? Here's where I plot her venture, labeled F:

View attachment 50659

Compare this with my current (and past) business ventures (A,B,C,D); they all land in or near the Sweet Spot. In fact, my productivity venture (D), GoalSumo.com, lands up near the top in terms of difficulty (and reward), yet, I don't expect success in this business venture to be any easier than running a forum or a publishing company.

In totality, I expect the mountain climb to be difficult, all the same. But rewards are significant.

The Effort/Reward Matrix also demonstrates why I no longer invest in single-family real estate; its plot on the E/R Matrix just don't move my meter. Selling t-shirts? Starting a coffee shop? Same thing. These ventures are equally difficult, but their rewards are too low.

There is another detracting factor: Return on Time Invested, and Return on Stress (or mental bandwidth, hassle, etc.).

1. What reward awaits you atop your entrepreneurial mountain? Life-changing? Or a pat on the back and a few blue ribbons for your wall?
  2. Will your arduous journey be worth its reward? Or will it require another mountain journey?

Ensure your entrepreneurial journey is worth the trek because the journey won't spare you. Choose wisely, fight doggedly, and may your reward change your life forever.

- MJ

PS: I created GradeMyBusinessIdea.com to help grade and evaluate business ideas on the CENTS + Accessibility scale. Feel free to try it out free.
I really like your business mentality and how you structure the framework and how it gives ripples.
Out of curiosity. In what order would you grade CENTS? Like which one do you think is most to least important since they will all follow a heirarchy. Like you cant SCALE if there are no NEED. So NEED has to be before SCALE?

I ask this bevause its as you have described 2 mountains. Wheras the stress, effort, time etc is the same but the end the prize is way different. This means some need to be the main focus depending on what stage on yoru business venture you are on. Like the "small mountain" focus on less ENTRY. "Tall mountain" has high ENTRY. Does this make ENTRY the first commandment you would try to break?

Chrisrod2597

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Feb 3, 2022
Thank you MJ

----

Billy?

How?

View attachment 50658

View attachment 50660

View attachment 50659

- MJ

Thank you @MJ DeMarco for this post. I'm glad that you elaborated on the CENTS commanded. Before reading your book I used to want to get into business for my selfish reason of doing what I love(because thats what people have told me). Now I use the CENTS framework to make sure I'm not selling myself short like most people. You have called me out several times in both TMF and Unscripted . I'm glad you did because its definitely something I did not want to hear but also needed to hear.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
I’m curious MJ, where would you plot my venture?

I feel I have low barriers to entry, high competition, little control (I’ve gotten 80%+ of my clients from LinkedIn, but I got banned and now it’s just my employees who can market us via LinkedIn) but the need is there, scale is there and time-freedom is there too. I’m currently down a little from $60K/mo to around $50K/mo.

At the same time, some people, say Iman Ghadzi, are making $10M+/year selling to essentially the same market I sell to (except his may be more geared to beginners whereas I’m more geared to established agencies).
If you have developed proprietary skill/technology then it won’t be necessarily low entry.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.