The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I was an internet millionaire. (R)

mtnman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Oct 3, 2007
Rated R

I was an internet millionaire. AMA. : IAmA

Those fond memories are good enough for me. I accomplished what other people spend their whole life trying to accomplish. I lived a life that other people can only dream of. It would be nice to still have it, but I don't think you can appreciate something until you lose it. Everyone wants to be a millionaire but so few ever become one.
I was living in my car when I first started the website. I had to shower/shave at the gym. I brushed my teeth in gas station bathrooms. At only 19 I saw both homelessness and what its like to be a millionaire. It was an amazing experience.
No matter where you are in life right now, you can become anything you want. I spent 12 hours a day reading programming & business books in Barnes & Noble Bookstore. The only reason why people aren't successful is because they don't want it bad enough. I was willing to do whatever it took to be an "internet entrepreneur" like they show in the magazines.
It's too easy to give up. Flipping your bad situation into a good one is hard, but if you want to be successful then it's just what you have to do. The only alternative is to stay in your bad situation.. forever.

1) I kept trying a lot of different ideas but abandoned many of them. This particular one had lots of people interested in it and grew viral quickly. All I was trying to do was get some opinions from people about the site and then I checked the stats a few days later and it had massive traffic. At that point I knew it was worthy of my time.
2) It evolved daily. I basically just got it up and running even though it was shitty, and as it grew I kept expanding, updating, etc. Whenever I spend too much time trying to "perfect" a site, I usually abandon it before it even has a chance, so I try to just get SOMETHING up and running so I can see if at least the concept has potential, even if it looks and runs like shit.
3) Started out on shared hosting, moved to a dedicated server, then multiple dedicated servers with round-robin, then to a dozen clustered servers, then added PHP caching and hired an admin to optimize the web server and mysql.
4) I was shocked how much money I owed in taxes. The website was almost purely profit besides the servers. I didn't have many tax deductions, etc. I didn't keep receipts for a lot of things because I didn't realize how many things like TVs/computers/cell phones can be written off. Even some of my dinners could have been written off. I would have owed a lot less in taxes if I talked to an accountant before hand, but it all happend so fast.
5) It went viral. I looked at the 2-3 sites that offered something similar and figured out what could be improved. I never let my competitor's outdo me on features or anything else. I always offered EVERYTHING they had and more. Once we were huge, I did some search engine optimization and we were ranked number one on Google for a long time... that helped us grow to be within the Alexa top 500 for a short while.

6) Clickbank (but only offer products related to your niche), Zango (out of business), CPXInteractive (pop-ups), Adbrite (banners/full page ads), and Text-link-ads.
7) My site had user generated content, user moderators, etc. The users ran the site. I just enjoyed the profits while they made it for me. They only cared about the content and didn't mind that the owner of the site was getting rich from it. A few hardcore loyal users made me most of my money and I'm glad they were on my site and not a competitor's.
When I first started the site I took content from all of my competitor's sites. It basically got popular because I condensed several sites content into a one-stop-shop. It didn't matter to me morally because we were all in the gray area of legality anyways. I wanted to be the best of my niche and I was willing to do anything to get there.

Haha \/\/\/

I was dating a girl at the time who was always crazy horny and she was so hot. She could have been dating Brad Pitt or something. I still beat off to her pictures till this day. She was too hot for me.
Anyways, I spent 20k to fly us to Florida on a private jet. We had a $300 champange breakfast (didn't even know what it was until after they served us) and then I rented a Lamborghini Murcielago for the weekend and we went parasailing, jetsking, some mini two person submarine thing and abunch of other fun stuff.
Then I paid one of the hotel staff $200 to go buy sex toys, lube, etc. for later that night. He put them in the room while I was out so they would be ready. I had him put all the batteries n stuff in too. We got really high and drunk. She couldn't walk the next day. Most of her friends that heard the story wanted me to treat them to a similar weekend.. including the sex, but I didn't want to get used so I usually said no. Money does get you laid.. even with the hottest chicks.
30k gone in one weekend. Went through several bottles of Cristal, Dom Perignon, and Petron. We made a lot of friends down there and I let them beat the shit out of the Murcielago rental before I returned it. It was so much fun.
There was a three-some before the weekend ended but I was too f*cked up to remember. The only proof of it happening is that I woke up with two naked hot girls in my bed.. oh and the pictures I found when I took a look at the digital camera on the plane when we were heading back.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Re: I was an internet millionaire.

The comments are pretty pathetic. Just read all the haters. Amazing.

(Ya might want to preface the post with a RATED-R)

LagunaLauren

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
May 20, 2009
Laguna Beach, CA

Wow-started off well enough. Don't think I needed to know you still beat off to a picture of a hot chick/got high/threesomes. Is that supposed to be impressive or aspirational? :smxE:

maximus20895

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Mar 16, 2009
Knoxville,TN

it was to show just how hot the girl really was. I thought it was funny and different from the everyday American uptight community.

marktech101

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Oct 11, 2008
Durham, NC

Great story, I love hearing about these type of journeys. Something struck me in the title, though: Is there something in the word *was*? Did you somehow lose your money to the private jets, Lamborghini Murcielagos, and threesomes? Or was the last paragraph there only to inspire, not to discourage?

Thanks for a great story.

--Mark

mtnman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Oct 3, 2007

The comments are pretty pathetic. Just read all the haters. Amazing.

(Ya might want to preface the post with a RATED-R)

I just skimmed it... should've gone in the funnies maybe, as I got a chuckle from it.

Post modified.

Jag

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jun 15, 2009
Texas
Sorry just wondering if I am only one that was thinking along the terms of "Trademarked" when I saw the (R) following the post title! Definitely in the business mindset when I am at this forum! :smug2:

Back on topic. Thanks for sharing; I found some of the comments to be entertaining and some parts insightful.

rocksolid

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Nov 17, 2008
New York
Hey MTNMAN, tell us more about the business end. What happened to the website? You only gave us part of the story. Did you get bought out like MJ?

Knightsman

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Sep 14, 2009
South Carolina
Very interesting. So...yeah spill it, what happened, why the past tense?

Moneymaka

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
3%
Jul 22, 2009
Click the link, people. The story's posted on reddit along with the reason why he lost the money.

kurtyordy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Aug 28, 2007
PA
Hey MTNMAN, tell us more about the business end. What happened to the website? You only gave us part of the story. Did you get bought out like MJ?

Very interesting. So...yeah spill it, what happened, why the past tense?

Click the link, people. The story's posted on reddit along with the reason why he lost the money.

ummmmm, I could be way off base here, but this is not Matt, he is just providing the info from Reddit.

Correct me if I am wrong Matt.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
This is a story from Reddit.

The guy lost all the money when he blew it on drugs, women, and cars. He had to kill the website because it was breaking the law.

In other words, the guy found a Fastlane through illegality which is one of the easiest to exploit. Not recommended.

osm

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Sep 26, 2009
Interesting read... I can't believe how open he is about everything, it certainly gives you insight into other people making money. What was interesting is.. He delivered on giving what people wanted! (except in this case it was against the law)

LagunaLauren

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
May 20, 2009
Laguna Beach, CA
mtnman-May want to preface stories like that that it's someone else's story, not yours! Confused some people here. I thought it was about you too. You temporarily lost some major respect points with me thinking you authored that post. (respect points reinstated...Glad you're not the *ss in that story!) :smxB:

ITA

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
26%
Dec 16, 2008
Hong Kong
To me the moral of the story is, invest your money into money-generating assets instead of blowing it on BS.

If he had bought a couple of nicely located rental units with the money, he could have been on the beach ***** hot chicks for the rest of his life.

mtnman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Oct 3, 2007
ummmmm, I could be way off base here, but this is not Matt, he is just providing the info from Reddit.

Correct me if I am wrong Matt.

No correction needed, the FTM popo (police) is onatopofit!

mtnman-May want to preface stories like that that it's someone else's story, not yours! Confused some people here. I thought it was about you too. You temporarily lost some major respect points with me thinking you authored that post. (respect points reinstated...Glad you're not the *ss in that story!) :smxB:

Hehe, I assumed the link at the top would indicate such a thing. Not like the permalinks mid stream gave it away either. ;)

But really I'm responding because what you said last... you would lose respect for me because if I was telling a story of how I've lived life and made mistakes? Interesting, as I do have these stories (minus the kaCHING!) and I am an a$$, but I mean well. :)

I like your name.

LagunaLauren

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
May 20, 2009
Laguna Beach, CA
But really I'm responding because what you said last... you would lose respect for me because if I was telling a story of how I've lived life and made mistakes? Interesting, as I do have these stories (minus the kaCHING!) and I am an a$$, but I mean well. :)

I'm all for making mistakes and learning from them, etc.. The negative respect points would have been for the remarks about beating off to a picture, getting high, sex toys/she couldn't walk the next day, etc. I'm not prude or offended by any means, but that was TMI, a little crude and pig-ish. More locker-room guy talk kind of stuff rather than investment forum stuff. I'm sure that was aspirational to some guys here, but I'm not impressed. Just glad that wasn't you relaying your story, mtnman.

Moneymaka

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
3%
Jul 22, 2009
I'm all for making mistakes and learning from them, etc.. The negative respect points would have been for the remarks about beating off to a picture, getting high, sex toys/she couldn't walk the next day, etc. I'm not prude or offended by any means, but that was TMI, a little crude and pig-ish. More locker-room guy talk kind of stuff rather than investment forum stuff. I'm sure that was aspirational to some guys here, but I'm not impressed. Just glad that wasn't you relaying your story, mtnman.
It's called having fun, you should try it sometimes.

Even if you're not into that kind of stuff, i bet he had a great time in a way most people can't even afford, and that should give him "positive respect points"

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
It's called having fun, you should try it sometimes.

Her comment has nothing to do with "fun" or not having it. It was about tact and respect on this board (not for the guy with the story) -- this isn't a high school locker room with the boys and such *fun* (and the telling of such *fun*) shouldn't be on an investment forum, or at a minimum, such details could be omitted without the changing the point of the story. TMI indeed hence the rated-R.

ZDS

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Oct 2, 2008
Her comment has nothing to do with "fun" or not having it. It was about tact and respect on this board (not for the guy with the story) -- this isn't a high school locker room with the boys and such *fun* (and the telling of such *fun*) shouldn't be on an investment forum, or at a minimum, such details could be omitted without the changing the point of the story. TMI indeed hence the rated-R.

Going to have to 100% agree with this. Everyone has their own stories that are weird/mest up/dysfunctional beyond belief. Their is a time and a place for everything. Save it for a few beers and a football game :)

Roman

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Aug 21, 2008
Pacific NW
I spent 20 minutes looking at the redit site...
How do I read his story? all I see is comments....

LaughedAt

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Sep 20, 2007
Israel
I spent 20 minutes looking at the redit site...
How do I read his story? all I see is comments....

His story is IN the comments, his username is netsuccess, he tells his story in the comments and answers some of the questions members ask him!
If you wanna make it easier, enter netsuccess in your browser search box and it should take you to his comments only, then you'll be able to read his whole story!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.