The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I make more money from my web business than from my day job yet I am less fulfilled than before

juicey

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
124%
Jul 5, 2016
Hi everyone,

I have been a part of this forum for already 4 years and I sure am grateful for reading MJs books and finding this forum. I am a big lurker as you can see from my post count.

Looking back on that time I wouldn't have hoped to achieve the kind of total income I now have by this age.

I used to love my job, my days were proactive and I was filled with a purpose to become the best in my field. And that kept striving me forward and helping me learn a lot in a short time.

Then in Spring, I loaned money and bought my first real asset - a website. The investment was super successful as in the Fall I switched the ad publisher and instantly 4-5x'ed the revenue, making me earn the same as I do from my day job (I earn 2 times higher salary than the median in my country). The business is passive as I spend less than an hour a week on it.

At the same time, I also started freelancing a little, which made me earn even more. I was really happy at the beginning, as I saw it as a way to also increase my expertise by having more experience and get another side-income.

But fast forward to the end of the year and I don't feel the drive or the energy during my day job anymore, I am quite unproductive and feel that the goal to become the best in my field is weakening. The freelance work is also not exciting, just a way to sell more time and earn extra income.

I never really had the major goal of breaking free from a day job either as my job already offered a lot of freedom and I used to love it(I have worked remotely from Asia, my schedule is flexible, the boss is nice, the pay is good etc.). I don't hate my job by any means, I still like what I am doing, but work itself is just more boring and slow - It might be also to do with me having more free time at work, fewer challenges at work that would force me to grow, etc.

After I have basically gotten passive income worth of my salary so easily, I don't feel like taking much credit for it, as I didn't build the business, but just took over something that was working and only really made one change.

I am extremely grateful though for where I am at the moment and that I could see that extra income after a certain level doesn't really increase happiness in any way. I am now looking to build something myself that would help me feel like I have really accomplished something, increase the feeling of fulfillment and try to combine it with something I am passionate about.

I have thought about starting an agency myself, but seeing how I don't enjoy freelancing that much (selling my time and working with smaller clients than I do at my day job)
and how I lack the network and personal brand, I am not really considering that at the moment.

Thanks for reading and major thanks to @doitman for creating a legendary thread that inspired me to acquire a business.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

juicey

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
124%
Jul 5, 2016
I know I haven't made it. Although I also think that "making it" is very subjective. If I 10xed my income, I don't see right now how this would make me happier and more fulfilled, which I see as the end goal.

Therefore I think this is the part I need to figure out: choose a goal big enough that would drive and motivate me and also make sure that working on that goal and achieving it is something that I would truly care about.

Do you have any advice, books or threads in this forum to recommend that would help me to think bigger or what you think I should read?

Last edited:
G

Guest-5ty5s4

I know I haven't made it. Although I also think that "making it" is very subjective. If I 10xed my income, I don't see right now how this would make me happier and more fulfilled, which I see as the end goal.

Therefore I think this is the part I need to figure out: choose a goal big enough that would drive and motivate me and also make sure that working on that goal and achieving it is something that I would truly care about.

Do you have any advice, books or threads in this forum to recommend that would help me to think bigger or what you think I should read?
Do you have a girlfriend? Wife? Kids? A paid off house? What will you do if this business dries up? How large is your investment account? Got any hobbies, like playing guitar, into fast cars, traveling, fishing, camping?

It sounds like you’re facing the same thing retirees face. But it also seems like you’re not really “set” either. So maybe work on getting really, truly “set” first?

How about stuff you dreamed of as a kid that wasn’t “realistic?” Wanna be a rockstar? Well, you can afford to pursue that if you’re not stuck in an office - take some lessons, join a band, try out for stuff... Famous actor? Go crazy with the auditions, you don’t need a job.

sojeer

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
May 10, 2018
How about travelling? I know that it might be a bit difficult now but when the things calm down...
I also have a usual job which is easy, satisfying and flexible and found myself that I don’t need too many things.
but there are always goals afterwards: visiting new countries, buying a home in a nice place, learning new things, languages. Set new goals.

BenNguyen

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 3, 2020
Philadelphia
Hi everyone,

I have been a part of this forum for already 4 years and I sure am grateful for reading MJs books and finding this forum. I am big lurker as you can see from my post count.

Looking back on that time I wouldn't have hoped to achieve the kind of total income I now have by this age (I am 25).

I used to love my job, my days were proactive and I was filled with a purpose to become the best in my field. And that kept striving me forward and helping me learn a lot in a short time (I am a digital marketer, focused on apps).

Then in Spring, 10 months ago, I loaned money and bought my first real asset - a website. The investment was super successful as in the Fall I switched the ad publisher and instantly 4-5x'ed the revenue, making me earn the same as I do from my day job (I earn 2 times higher salary than the median in my country). The business is passive as I spend less than an hour a week on it.

At the same time, I also started freelancing a little, which made me earn even more. I was really happy at the beginning, as I saw it as a way to also increase my expertise by having more experience and get another side-income.

But fast forward to the end of the year and I don't feel the drive or the energy during my day job anymore, I am quite unproductive and feel that the goal to become the best in my field is weakening. The freelance work is also not exciting, just a way to sell more time and earn extra income.

I never really had the major goal of breaking free from a day job either as my job already offered a lot of freedom and I used to love it(I have worked remotely from Asia, my schedule is flexible, the boss is nice, the pay is good etc.). I don't hate my job by any means, I still like what I am doing, but work itself is just more boring and slow - It might be also to do with me having more free time at work, fewer challenges at work that would force me to grow etc.

After I have basically gotten passive income worth of my salary so easily, I don't feel like taking much credit for it, as I didn't build the business, but just took over something that was working and only really made one change.

I am extremely grateful though for where I am at the moment and that I could see that extra income after a certain level doesn't really increase happiness in any way. I am now looking to build something myself that would help me feel like I have really accomplished something, increase the feeling of fulfillment and try to combine it with something I am passionate about.

I have thought about starting an agency myself, but seeing how I don't enjoy freelancing that much (selling my time and working with smaller clients than I do at my day job)
and how I lack the network and personal brand, I am not really considering that at the moment.

Thanks for reading and major thanks to @doitman for creating a legendary thread that inspired me to acquire a business.
Hey could you tell me about this “business model” if you will? You bought a website and now you make money from ad revenue? Could you elaborate more ? Also with your I suggest reading the book called “Flow “

here is a quote from the book

Contrary to what we usually believe, moments like these, the best moments in our lives, are not the passive, receptive, relaxing times—although such experiences can also be enjoyable, if we have worked hard to attain them. The best moments usually occur when a person’s body or mind is stretched to its limits in a voluntary effort to accomplish something difficult and worthwhile. Optimal experience is thus something that we
make happen. For a child, it could be placing with trembling fingers the last blockon a tower she has built, higher than any she has built so far; for a swimmer, it could be trying to beat his own record; for a violinist, mastering an intricate musical passage. For each person there are thousands of opportunities, challenges to expand ourselves.

juicey

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
124%
Jul 5, 2016
Do you have a girlfriend? Wife? Kids? A paid off house? What will you do if this business dries up? How large is your investment account? Got any hobbies, like playing guitar, into fast cars, traveling, fishing, camping?

It sounds like you’re facing the same thing retirees face. But it also seems like you’re not really “set” either. So maybe work on getting really, truly “set” first?

How about stuff you dreamed of as a kid that wasn’t “realistic?” Wanna be a rockstar? Well, you can afford to pursue that if you’re not stuck in an office - take some lessons, join a band, try out for stuff... Famous actor? Go crazy with the auditions, you don’t need a job.
Girlfriend; no dept; planning to buy an apartment soon and another business to increase cash flow and assets. So I have a plan to follow. I do am looking for new hobbies. I love traveling and have traveled to over 30 countries on a low budget. But most of it has been fast travel, would love to try Vagabonding.

I have always been the type of person that could get by with little and not have many wishes for myself. One dream I do have is to be a race car driver.

But thanks for the comments. I felt I needed to write my thoughts down and get another perspective on this. I am from a small country and it might have its influence :)

juicey

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
124%
Jul 5, 2016
Hey could you tell me about this “business model” if you will? You bought a website and now you make money from ad revenue? Could you elaborate more ? Also with your I suggest reading the book called “Flow “

here is a quote from the book

Contrary to what we usually believe, moments like these, the best moments in our lives, are not the passive, receptive, relaxing times—although such experiences can also be enjoyable, if we have worked hard to attain them. The best moments usually occur when a person’s body or mind is stretched to its limits in a voluntary effort to accomplish something difficult and worthwhile. Optimal experience is thus something that we
make happen. For a child, it could be placing with trembling fingers the last blockon a tower she has built, higher than any she has built so far; for a swimmer, it could be trying to beat his own record; for a violinist, mastering an intricate musical passage. For each person there are thousands of opportunities, challenges to expand ourselves.

Yup, It's pretty simple. I have a website with valuable content, which gets lots of daily visitors and thus I can sell ad space on that website through a mediator like Adsense - explained here Google AdSense - Earn Money From Website Monetization

I used to have quite a lot of flow on my job, but lacking it lately.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

Girlfriend; no dept; planning to buy an apartment soon and another business to increase cash flow and assets. So I have a plan to follow. I do am looking for new hobbies. I love traveling and have traveled to over 30 countries on a low budget. But most of it has been fast travel, would love to try Vagabonding.

I have always been the type of person that could get by with little and not have many wishes for myself. One dream I do have is to be a race car driver.

But thanks for the comments. I felt I needed to write my thoughts down and get another perspective on this. I am from a small country and it might have its influence :)
Well you should listen to or read Unscripted ... all of these things in life cost money and it takes a lot of money to live the “retired” life. So that is motivation! Maybe you never plan to marry or reproduce, but most people end up wanting a family eventually.

If you are already content, then I guess you just won the game already. Most people aren’t even at a place where they are debt free, let alone living off of their investments or their own business.

BenNguyen

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 3, 2020
Philadelphia
Yup, It's pretty simple. I have a website with valuable content, which gets lots of daily visitors and thus I can sell ad space on that website through a mediator like Adsense - explained here Google AdSense - Earn Money From Website Monetization

I used to have quite a lot of flow on my job, but lacking it lately.
Thanks, could you tell me how much your website was? I’m frying to do the same thing, already looking at some on flippa but most of them are 1500$ net profit for a 25$ k website. I just wanna know how much would I have to invest in a profitable website

Spino

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Jan 26, 2019

I think you just need to figure out your next goal and what you are passionate about, something that gives you fulfillment since you said you are lacking it now.

Someone previously in the thread said "You haven't made it yet", I disagree, for your age I think you have achieved a lot already and you are on the right track.

I am originally from a small town and I think the environment might drive you to "think small", I opened my mind moving overseas to a metropoli, not saying you need this big of a change but perhaps something to open your mind or explore new things.

juicey

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
124%
Jul 5, 2016
Thanks, could you tell me how much your website was? I’m frying to do the same thing, already looking at some on flippa but most of them are 1500$ net profit for a 25$ k website. I just wanna know how much would I have to invest in a profitable website
I bought mine for 25k and it was doing around 1.2k net profit (USD) a month. So in general this is a really good price point if other factors look good as well. But I bought from a local Facebook group, not in Flippa. In Flippa they are generally more expensive than you brought out.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.