The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I have a great idea that I want to develop ASAP!!! need advice!!

Idea threads

Young and Rich

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Jul 13, 2011
North Carolina
I've got this great idea that i know for a fact is going to be a huge success. The reason I say that is because right around when i came up with the idea (around march of this year,2012) there were no competitors for my idea. That is until a week later; two different sites launched.

After several months of postponing my idea ( i always said I was going to start during summer, where i can devote all of my time to this), I check back with the two sites that launched in march. One of them has pretty much made no progress (no funding and no effort from developer), but the other has EXPLODED. I don't want to go into the numbers, but trust me they are HUGE. The site has the same exact idea I have, but I already see ways i can improve on their site. The problem is I am really behind because the site is all about user interaction and they already have a HUGE amount of members for such a short amount of time. So, the more members they gain the harder it is to catch up.

Furthermore, I don't know much about web development other than some basic html/css that I learned about a year ago. I have tried to learn javascript and php, but it would take YEARS before i become proficient and I just don't have that amount of time. However, I do have some capital that I have saved over the last 2 years. I have about $1000 liquid and an asset worth $10,000 that will take me about a week to liquidate. I want to make my move right now, but I also don't want to blindly throw money away. I want to make sure I develop fast, but efficiently ( at least semi-efficiently, I know there's a steep learning curve and I won't know everything right off the bat).

I know I could always outsource the development of the site, but what about the day to day running of the site. I mean, I don't know anything about paid advertising, SEO, how to drive organic traffic to my site, advertising on my site, etc...

If anyone can please help, I need some advice!!

p.s I have read the millionaire fastlane , and like many of you agree that it is a great book. It has inspired me ever since I read it. Thank You MJ for such a great book!

Lastly, for anyone that is wondering this idea does fit the CENTS commandments :)

EDIT: Please forgive me if this is a little hard to read and understand, it's been a long day and it's late.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited by a moderator:

Rain

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
39%
Apr 5, 2011
I'm not a programmer myself, but I generally know where to go for what on the Internet. PM me if you'd like to discuss this idea more and what I can do / if I can help you.

Also, remember: Execution is king, ideas are pawns.

Having an idea is great, but it's a small part of the equation. Assuming the idea meets the necessary standards, success depends on proper execution.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
it would take YEARS before i become proficient and I just don't have that amount of time

I respectfully disagree. It shouldn't take you years to sit down and try to become an expert in a field. Most successful entrepreneurs didn't know anything about their field. Look at what you want, and then work step by step to that vision. It's not gonna be 1 or 3 steps or actions but thousands. I can guarantee you a lot of successful internet entrepreneurs do not know ALL the programing languages or ALL the details of the language they used to build their site.

I have never met a successful INTERNET entrepreneur who outsourced their site. NEVER. If its just to sell something or put a presence on the web then yeah. But an actual website whose sole purpose is to provide value, you need to know something.

Entrepreneurs with the CLEAR vision of the business system that solves the need in the market place and the know how to accomplish it are the ones who come out on top.

Every entrepreneur's vision, skills, business philosophy, discipline and determination is going to be different, this is why some start ups in the same idea field fail and others thrive.

good luck

Young and Rich

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Jul 13, 2011
North Carolina
Why should I build the site when the outcome is going to be the same either way? Whenever it needs updating, I could always outsource or get a partner...

Could anyone with experience in this field provide some insight

EDIT: After some light researching I have found that peter thiel, kevin rose, mark cuban, and several others were NOT web developers.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
OK So you never mention the idea so no one steals it, however you are eventually going to start the business and advertise exactly what your business idea was to everyone you possibly can to get customers...

I dont know what it is about the idea people that never mention what the idea is. It just comes across weird to me.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
Why should I build the site when the outcome is going to be the same either way?

Not true, this is why the outcome for myspace and facebook is totally different. This is why execution is the holy grail of the fastlane, not worthless ideas. I mentioned this above, if your website is not focused on providing value but merely serving as a tool for an internet presence for something else then yeah go for it. what I was saying is, there really is no such thing as outsourcing the fastlane or hiring someone to make millions for you.

My recommendation at this point is for you to find a co-founder, someone who is a *good* web developer.

RaOne

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jan 31, 2012
I know I could always outsource the development of the site, but what about the day to day running of the site. I mean, I don't know anything about paid advertising, SEO, how to drive organic traffic to my site, advertising on my site, etc...

I used to know nothing about these matters too when I just started my biz and good for me I had no money to outsource anything then. I would just blow it all. I took me exactly 1,5 month to learn building websites (seriously, it's not about years, mate). If you need some really huge and complicated website, looking stellar you might well outsource the coding job but I strongly recommend you at least learn to do the maintenance yourself. It's way easier than you imagine. SEO is even easier than that provided you have the tools. Here SEO in Practice - SEO Book For Beginners check out this free guide, you'll get the idea of how to do all this stuff without any help from anybody as soon as you finish reading.
Best luck, mate. Yeah, and 1 website is not exactly a competition - you can totally beat those guys (there's some info on how to do this in this seo guide).

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
Well as for not mentioning it take a look at the link that MJ posted yesterday about Spanx. She worked on the company for 2 years before telling anyone.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.