The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

"Hustle House": What would you want living-wise as an entrepreneur?

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
I'm planning to leave the U.S. next year and travel for most of the year. During that time, I wouldn't mind creating a new community and hearing your input on where you'd live, how you'd live and why. If anyone here has some interesting ideas or places, then I'd love to hear what you think and maybe make that a reality.

So here's the question...

If you could create your own entrepreneurial "house", what would that look like? Where would it be? Who would be there? What would the vibe be like? What would your day look like from the morning until evening?

Starting out, all of us wanted to escape the day-to-day grind and find a place where we could "get into the zone". For people on this forum, that was Scottsdale at a point. Now, there's communities from this forum in Puerto Rico, Bali, San Diego and maybe a few other places where entrepreneurs are "clustering" to work off of each other's energy.

Outside of this forum, we see this prominently in communities like Silicon Valley. "Hacker Houses", "Startup Houses", or whatever you want to call them. You have these same communities being recreated in other parts of the world. I saw a couple personally in Beijing and Shenzhen in tech. In the gaming space, there's something similar - "Gamer Houses". In sports, there's the university "sports team dorms", in the pro's rookies living together, etc.

In all of these communities, there's something special. However, not all of them are optimized for the most common businesses.

Business-wise, from that list, the best fit would likely be Silicon Valley. However, Silicon Valley has tremendous pitfalls... it's expensive.

When you're starting out, I believe there's certain things you don't want to worry about: cooking, cleaning, washing your clothes, etc. Your focus shouldn't include 2 hours per day of acquiring ingredients, preparing a meal, and cooking. It should be on hustling. You shouldn't be cleaning your house. You should be making cold calls.

Hence, why I think the "Gamer House" model is closer to the ideal model.

Something like Bali:

A villa with 3 other entrepreneurs. A cleaning lady. A chef. No worries but work and relax.

However, that lends to the question: do you want to be in Bali? Or some remote place in the mountains where there's nothing to do but work? Maybe something like this:

Not as nice, but good internet and the same setup: food, cleaning, life basically taken care of. Just sit and work.

Or maybe something warmer, but similar:

Something in Colombia. Middle of nowhere. Same timezone as the U.S. so you could call all day...

So in your opinion what would your ideal entrepreneur house look like?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
I am probably going to vacate the UK next year too. I am actually seriously thinking of renting a villa in Bali. There are a lot of pluses to the island but, together with Chiang Mai, those plusses have made them the Nomad Mecca of the world. Both Columbia and Argentina have their appeal.

New Zealand also appeals to me but that might be because my family came close to moving there when I was in my teens.

I don't know if I would want one location. The thing is if its a temperate climate I would want to get away from the coldest, darkest months. Hot climates can also wear thin in the heat of summer. A tropical climate (20 to 30° year round) sounds much better but then you have a rainy season and or hurricanes. I am looking at St Lucia as an alternative to Bali as it is closer to family and has a lot going for it. Mountains, Forest, great scuba diving etc. So maybe permanent locations in St Lucia UK and then a few months going Nomad just for the hell of it, probably via motorcycle through Europe.

If you could create your own entrepreneurial "house", what would that look like? Where would it be? Who would be there? What would the vibe be like? What would your day look like from the morning until evening?

So lets say St Lucia. 3 or 4 bedroom villa 3 other like minded people who want to build a serious business but are not just going to stare at a screen from 9 till 9. (well they can if they want to but I will be done by 2:00) For me an early start and early finish.

There is no point in living in a paradise if you are going to be cooped up all day long. It is easy to end up spending all your time working towards a goal only to end up not living a life. Entrepreneurship will do that to you if you allow it to dominate every waking moment. It's not healthy. So, a balance of work and play is vital. Late afternoons evening exploring, diving, spending time on the beach, a meal and a few drinks in a bar. Nothing particularly high octane.

Maybe that life is just too laid back for many on here but I've been around a while. I've worked stupid hours every day for way too long and missed out on a lot as a result. I'm now older and hopefully wiser.

Live life now, don't postpone it to some future date because you are too busy. That future date often never arrives.

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans. - John Lennon

fastlanedoll

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Aug 21, 2019
Something like this:

But I can't afford it...............

yet.
One can dream.
Or maybe never :blush:

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain

fastlanedoll

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Aug 21, 2019
I get it, location matters.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
621%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
I’m trying to get a fastlane house together on lake Tapps in Washington state if anyone Is interested.

I like living on a lake currently. It’s been one hell of a summer.

I like America right now. I like driving my car. I’ll have this winter off so I’ll be flying around and having some fun in Bali/India/Thailand but during the warmer months I really enjoy being in Washington.

VentureVoyager

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
223%
Aug 19, 2017
Merida, Yucatan, Mexico
Amazing idea!
For me, Bali or some Thai island (Koh Samui, Koh Phangan or Phuket) would be perfect- the most bang for your buck.
You could have amazingly cheap and delicious food, cleaning, laundry etc. for pennies. Or a private cook.
It's also perfect for single gentlemen, if you know what I mean :D
So a nice 3-4 bedroom villa with pool and seaview would be awesome.
I spent 16 months in SE Asia, so I have some experience.

Central America could be nice too. I was thinking about Bocas del Toro province lately. But have never been there so far.

I once joined the so called "Growth House". It was 6 of us - 3 guys from Poland, one from Czech Republic, one from Australia and two Germans.

It was one of the most productive months in my life, however, the schedule was a little bit too "German" and I felt like having a corpo job at times (let's say it could be a bit too strict and packed). However, something like this with more "chill" vibe would be perfect.

Every day we would:
Work (5 x 50min. pomodoros), eat out together, meditate, do Wim Hoff breathing, go out to clubs and meet girls (I hate clubs, but the guy who organized it was very much into it - but it was fun after all), go to meetups and hit the gym.

We also had the so called "hot seats" and accountability meetings.
Hot seats would come down to one of us sitting on chair in front of other guys, sharing his doubts, problems, struggles, and he would get honest feedback from the rest of us.

Sometimes we would invite someone to teach us something, e.g. about effective communication, dieting, business, mindset and other things.

@AgainstAllOdds What's your planned monthly budget anyway?

Last edited:

gryfny

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jun 11, 2019
Europe
@VentureVoyager can you tell me more about this Growth House? How did you find this place and what were the requirements to join? Doing a few months in such a setting seems like a better plan than to buy something IMO.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
@VentureVoyager can you tell me more about this Growth House? How did you find this place and what were the requirements to join? Doing a few months in such a setting seems like a better plan than to buy something IMO.

In the UK you get arrested if you are found to have a growth house. ;)

softwareRules

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Aug 25, 2019
Canada
You should check out Hacker Paradise, they run a program for remote workers where you can work in Lisbon, Marrakesh, Cape Town, Buenos Aires, Santiago: Work remote and love travel? Do both with Hacker Paradise!

Not sure if direct links are okay but they might be a good model for what you're thinking since they've done this a few times so you can rely on their pricing as a broad guide to their unit economics and margins.

Their 2-week pricing is $1550 for tier 1 locations, tier 3 location is $1750 USD. Not sure if that includes flights or food or anything else but for 2 weeks, it isn't too bad.

MetalGear

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
258%
Jan 24, 2017
Narnia
I'm guessing you would need a warehouse nearby if launching ecom? This sounds like a good idea to launch in Chiang Mai or other nomad hubs. So AirBNB and WeWork meet? Is that what you are thinking?

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain

Charnell

Block me if you're a quack
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 12, 2014
Kansas City
If you could create your own entrepreneurial "house", what would that look like?
As much floor space as possible. The more room the better. I've always thought about taking over a mechanic's garage and converting it to a complete workspace. Free weights and power racks to hit the weights without leaving.

I'm pretty much a recluse when the sun's up. Vampire status. I would want everything available without having to leave.

ee951d2a3c826572c2cdbcabaefd62ec.jpg

Where would it be?
A truly ideal location would be somewhere that stays about 60 degrees year-round but also has social options for evenings. I don't give a damn about the beach or hiking or the sun. I want to be able to throw on some jeans and a sweater and go grab an old fashioned and a cigar out on a patio.

Who would be there?
2-3 other single guys in their late 20s/early 30s that are working on their own business. One of them in a similar but not the exact same space and the others doing something completely different. That way, we can brainstorm together if need be and come at their issue from a different perspective.
portrait_mid_x2.jpeg

What would the vibe be like?
A live accountability group. Meet up on Sunday, figure out what we want to accomplish that week, then keep each other on track to reach that goal. Push each other to get past the goal depending on the metric. Relaxed, some real light music playing during the day that doesn't interfere with conversation and can be drowned out by earbuds.

cigar-bars-habano.jpg

What would your day look like from the morning until evening?
Wake up about 8 am, crack a cold one start drinking coffee. Skip breakfast. Hop on the computer and get to work for 2-3 hours. The worst tasks first.

11 am, eat a keto meal with macros calculated by someone with a degree. Hit the home gym workout. Shower, shit, shave. Talk some shit with the other guys in the house.

2 pm, hop back on the computer or phone and get back to work for 3-4 hours.

6 pm, plan the next day out for my morning and afternoon tasks. Review with everyone how the day went, problems they have, more banter. Figure the evening out.

7 rink, shred some more weights or video games, get entertained somewhere else, whatever.

12 am, lights out.

I'm kind of doing something like this now, creating my space by design and with intent. Just moved into my own place after living with my best friend for a year. Decided I didn't want to have the opportunity to veg out on the couch, so I don't have one. Instead, I built a daybed. Either I'm working at my computer, sitting down, or laying down relaxing.

Why stand when you can sit and why sit when you can lay?

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
@AgainstAllOdds What's your planned monthly budget anyway?

When I travel, I spend around $4,000 a month. I'd say half of that is housing.

However, I wouldn't be opposed to a lower budget. My costs get inflated since I bounce around a lot. I can probably get down to half with the same lifestyle if stay in the same place. Plus, I love great value.

I've done 5-star hotels, and also done cabins in villages. Anything on the spectrum is fair game, though long-term my preference would be closer to the 5-star hotel vibe so that I can get shit done.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
There's a lot of great posts in here, so let me toss out some of the ideas I have.

I'm thinking of getting a bigger house, and dedicating one, two, or three of the rooms to visitors. I saw this work in Silicon Valley and it was amazing.

Basically you create a house with great people, and then let other like-minded people fly in and visit. What ends up happening is that slowly you build a network of like minded people without ever leaving. You make friends with basically 100+ people over the course of a year, and end the year with an international network of like minded hustlers without ever going anywhere. Then, their network grows on top of your network.

Another crazy idea I have:

Somehow integrating the "Hustle House" with a "Model House". Basically the "sorority" to the "fraternity". A place like Bali attracts top models in Asia either for vacation or work. Top models are in tune with the richest guys (most successful businesspeople), the best nightlife, and have access to an entire network that us "nerds" don't. If you can create a 6-person house, have 3 guys full-time in three rooms, one room for regular visitors, and then two rooms with double beds, and models shuffling through, then you could create an epicenter that people would want to be a part of. You'd attract all the top hustlers in the region. If your house has enough value, then you can even charge the modeling agencies to post up girls there. Offer a chef, personal trainer, etc.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
So AirBNB and WeWork meet? Is that what you are thinking?

Yup. Just better and a much, much smaller scale.

You should check out Hacker Paradise, they run a program for remote workers where you can work in Lisbon, Marrakesh, Cape Town, Buenos Aires, Santiago: Work remote and love travel? Do both with Hacker Paradise!

Thanks for linking this.

Here's the problem I have with these services:

I want the best food Monday to Friday without having to leave. I want a cleaning lady. I want an assistant. Maybe a personal trainer.

Here's more of what I'm thinking:

When you're in the house, you're not eating bullshit. You're in there and have all your meals:
1) Prepared for you;
2) Optimized for your physical goals;
3) Delicious so you don't have to leave the house

Basically complete control over the "health" part of your life without the time required to do it.

A chef makes you all the food, and you just eat it. Slowly start getting in better shape just by being in the house.

Next, I'm thinking of going as far as getting a personal trainer. In Thailand, something like a Muay Thai trainer with pad work would make sense:

Maybe setting up weights like @Charnell suggested. Or setting up close to a gym that can easily integrate into the lifestyle.

For me, the ideal place helps accomplish a few different goals:
  • Money (business)
  • Fitness
  • Friendship/Network
  • Social Life
The goal is that if you stay in the "house", that these goals get accomplished automatically through just being there. I think it'd be incredibly hard to figure out, but possible.

MetalGear

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
258%
Jan 24, 2017
Narnia
Check out the SoHo House, doesn't need to be as fancy but looking at their business model might be stimulating

G

GuestUser4aMPs1

@Tom.V @RayAndré wanna chime in?

We've been doing a Hustle House since March of this year in Puerto Rico.

Having done this for most of the year, I may weigh in on a few things I'd do differently and adjust moving forward in the next 6 months we're together.

Last edited by a moderator:

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
@Tom.V @RayAndré wanna chime in?

We've been doing a Hustle House since March of this year in Puerto Rico.

Having done this for most of the year, I may weigh in on a few things I'd do differently and adjust moving forward in the next 6 months we're together.

This is the Puerto Rico team referenced in the OP. Would love to hear what you guys think.

Kingmaker

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
337%
Jan 26, 2013
San Diego
I live in the San Diego entrepreneur house and here's some rules from the trenches:
  • No girlfriends allowed - guaranteed to derail the entrepreneurial ventures of person who gets one, and their failure might start affecting others in the house.
  • Can bring girls but no overnight stays - kick them out after smashing.
  • No weed smokers - the anxiety/paranoia of these people is not worth dealing with.
  • No unkempt/dirty people - sounds trivial but can get really annoying since you might end up sharing kitchen/bathroom with someone like that.
  • Good sized garage to store stuff in.
  • Neighboors/landlord who can deal with playing loud music/occasional debauchery.
  • Chef cleaning/person - we don't have this yet and struggle mightily with wasting time on household crap.
  • Gym nearby.
Overall the people you live with matter way more than location and amenities, and if done right it's an amazing environment to push you to succeed.

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
Sad. Flawed. Immoral. Disappointing. Laughable. Pathetic. Typical.

So many emotions, so little time to type.

MetalGear

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
258%
Jan 24, 2017
Narnia

What is bad about the idea? WeWork and AirBNB are both great companies, why is this any different? The WeWork founder is worth over $4B.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
444%
May 27, 2013
United States

Not really seeing how those adjectives apply to this thread. Except maybe typical... people here have done it before.

I was thinking more like fun, effective, inspiring, focused, hustle, grind, profit.

Sign me up @AgainstAllOdds. I can bring my kids right???? :hilarious:

I wish I would've done something like this in the past and roomed with some hustlers. Would've shortcutted 5 years off my learning curve.

Been trying to convince my wife to take a trip to asia though... would love to experience the Bali villa life for myself.

Last edited:

RayAndré

Win From Within
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Oct 7, 2017
Tampa, FL
Hey @AgainstAllOdds, and everyone else interested:
I'm @RayAndré, one of the starters of the Puerto Rico House.

A couple things:
* First, know what you want in this experience, and why you want it / need it.
* Second, understand there's a difference between 1) the people and 2) the place.
Knowing the First will help you determine the Second.

@AgainstAllOdds you mentioned travel:
* This is so fun! If you're able to travel (international) and work at the same time, I did this for 2 years and HIGHLY recommend it. Mostly for the experience that most people will never get. And if you can build your biz at the same time, golden. I personally know people doing this. This comes back to the First thing, do you want 100% hustle, 100% travel, or somewhere in between? You'll have to decide for yourself and everyone will differ.
* This lifestyle is called being a Digital Nomad and its been around for years. There are organized communities of people who travel monthly to a different country. You'll get a mix of business owners to freelancers to employees. I traveled with WiFi Tribe – Find Your Tribe and Work from Anywhere and Work remote and love travel? Do both with Hacker Paradise!. Both were great. I recommend WiFi Tribe.
* If you'll be traveling, how long do you plan to stay in each place? Every 1 month? Every 3 months? This WILL affect your focus and ability to improve whatever it is you want to improve. (One of the big reasons why I "settled" in PR is because of this.)
* Its F*cking fantastic and you'll have amazing unique experiences with great people you may never have the chance for otherwise while you're YOUNG.

Regarding the place:
* This is all personal choice with many factors. What kind of vibe do you want to live in? City, beach, mountains, cold, hot, latin, european, etc, etc? What food do you like? What activities do you enjoy? Do they have those where you're thinking of going.
* The place you choose will have some impact on your focus. Places like PR/Bali/Medellin attract certain kinds of like-minded entrepreneurs.
* Don't forget to check for good internet. Also Google Fi can be a life saver.
* These links can help you narrow the search: Nomad List, 2017's Best Places to Work Remotely and Live - HighSpeedInternet.com
* Digital Nomad hubs are Bali, Medellin, Thailand, Lisbon, etc
* About gyms, you can look for a place with a nearby gym or get into calisthenics which requires no gym. You can get a great workout in your home throughout your day.

Regarding the people:
* Two options here: 1) meet like-minded people as you travel/when you move, 2) get Fastlane roommates.
* If you'll be traveling constantly, #1 can wear on you as your friends will change every time you or they move.
* If you're not traveling constantly, #1 is more possible in cities that already attract like minded entrepreneurs (see 2nd bullet above ^).
* If you're looking for people to support you and keep you going regularly, #2 is the way to go.

Regarding the "House":
* In PR: we have no official rules. We all came single, one now has a girlfriend, one is messy, one gets mad at the mess, we have a cleaning lady, no chef, workouts are done at home, gym nearby, or at the beach. Work is done at home or cafes, one is getting an office.
* Only "official" event is get dinner together once a week, and of course we chat daily about what we're doing.
* We spend our time both working and doing the things we enjoy. We're quite balanced when it comes to both personalities and lifestyle. Each of us balances our lifestyles differently.
* We're all happy :)
* @SteveO said to me once, "Whatever you're doing, make sure you're happy." Can't stress enough how important that is.

Overall the people you live with matter way more than location and amenities, and if done right it's an amazing environment to push you to succeed.
This I agree with 100%. Do a "trial run" and AirBnb together at the next Summit. That's what we did.

All in all, I've basically gotten exactly what I wanted with the move to PR and have become so much better in many ways. All three of us have. Could I/we be moving faster? Yes, but 1) enjoying life & island paradise is worth it to me, and 2) had I been hustling as fast as I could, I might not have found the thing I actually now enjoy spending my time building.

At the end of the day, do what feels right to you. It can be hard to leave and start traveling. It can be hard to find the right people to live with or place to move to.
But if its what you want, don't stop until you find it.

Last edited:

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
surfers-paradise-destination.jpgthe-hotel-grounds.jpg

5 Star hotel or a resort in Surfers Paradise Australia.

Great weather year round, lots of sexy woman.

The vibe would be to hustle hard and play hard, enjoy your time but create an environment which will get everyone pushing to do better and better everyday, call each other on your bullshit excuses etc.

Clean area, housekeeper, separate bathrooms.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.