The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

NOTABLE! How Do You Invest in Yourself? Non-Business Skills You Find Valuable

OP
OP
MTF

MTF

Never give up
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
May 1, 2011
Great thread, marked NOTABLE and FEATURED.
Cool, thanks!

Learn how to lose ( whether material stuff or a friendship/loved one)
I guess Stoicism can be called a skill, so we can expand learning how to lose to learning how to accept unfavorable circumstances.

Travel/foreign cultures.

Travel helps to break out of my daily routine. Once back home, I almost always have a refreshed mind and great new ideas.

There is a lot of wisdom in any culture built up over hundreds of generations... so yeah, a lot of value lies in learning from them.
Definitely. Particularly during a longer trip, you can't help but change thanks to the new stimuli.

Almost three years after starting this thread, I would add:
  • swimming - great not only for developing your body, but also your mind as swimming is generally not something that you can do distracted (unless you wear waterproof headphones which kind of defeats the purpose of swimming.) I also highly recommend open water swimming, which is more invigorating than swimming in a swimming pool.
  • surfing - I'm a newbie in this, but I don't think I've ever experienced anything else that humbles you more than the ocean. When you get pounded by waves, you realize how weak you are in the grand scheme of things. And maybe it's weird, but to me, it's an eye-opening experience that makes me a better, calmer and more understanding person. And of course, few things can compare to the fun of catching a great wave.
  • storytelling - we tell stories, simple and more elaborate, every day. What happened to you when you were stuck in traffic last Monday. How a certain thing changed your life. How you met someone. How your product can change the life of your client. All of this comes down to the ability to tell a captivating story. The better you are at it, the easier cultivating personal and business relationships is.
  • yoga - I find it incredible how everyone is obsessed about adding muscle, but so few are interested in achieving balance, mobility, and the ability to control muscle tension, all of which are IMO also crucial to fitness. After all, who cares that you can bench press 300 lbs if you can't sit comfortably in a full squat, keep your body straight when you stand, or balance on a single leg.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Last edited:

NVious

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jun 12, 2015
Physique, we are biologically hard wired to respect low body fat, muscles and definition.

Accessories, a nice watch, nice shoes, nice hats, nice chain, nice bracelets, i.e things you wear 24/7 as opposed to shirts and clothes you may wear a few times and that's it.

Curiosity, questioning and networking....asking people about themselves, being curious about them, offering help where you can, being a good person in general

Posture

Good haircuts
Also, these ones are MASSIVE, yes they can go under networking but they need to be EXPLICITLY SAID

GIVE COMPLIMENTS,
honestly you think most "high level" individuals in their field are used to it, but some of them are not and they will get taken back and smitten, but forget about high level people, EVERYONE UNDERSTANDS THE SEVEN DEGREES OF SEPARATION, YET PEOPLE LIVE LIKE UNLESS THEY TALK TO WARREN BUFFET DIRECTLY THERE IS NO WAY TO GET TO HIM. Why do I say this? BECAUSE EVERYONE IS CONNECTED TO SOMEONE THAT MATTERS and if the person that is connected (not the person themselves) like you.....guess what happens? Exactly.

So BE GIVING THOSE COMPLIMENTS

Also simply put ask people to hang out and if they are important individuals offer to buy them dinner or a drink.

Matt Sun

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Oct 21, 2017
Argentina
I could say many things...

The Wim Hof Method: Is amazing that just doing a few breath you can not be cold anymore even if you forgot your coat. Also liberates your respiratory system. Alkalinizes the body. Strenghten loungs. And has a meditation kind of effect.

Vegan recepies... Vegan diet in general is amazing for health IMO and backed by lots of scientific studys.

Edit: Also learning about medicinal plants. There is much stronger medicine growing wild in your back yard than in the pharmacy store. And it's also much safer than syntetics.

Last edited:

Olimac21

Silver Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Dec 3, 2015
Belo Horizonte, Brasil
Also, these ones are MASSIVE, yes they can go under networking but they need to be EXPLICITLY SAID

GIVE COMPLIMENTS,
honestly you think most "high level" individuals in their field are used to it, but some of them are not and they will get taken back and smitten, but forget about high level people, EVERYONE UNDERSTANDS THE SEVEN DEGREES OF SEPARATION, YET PEOPLE LIVE LIKE UNLESS THEY TALK TO WARREN BUFFET DIRECTLY THERE IS NO WAY TO GET TO HIM. Why do I say this? BECAUSE EVERYONE IS CONNECTED TO SOMEONE THAT MATTERS and if the person that is connected (not the person themselves) like you.....guess what happens? Exactly.

So BE GIVING THOSE COMPLIMENTS

Also simply put ask people to hang out and if they are important individuals offer to buy them dinner or a drink.
This is so simple yet powerful. I was talking the same thing with my dad about compliments and showing some affections when people deserve it.

NVious

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jun 12, 2015
This is so simple yet powerful. I was talking the same thing with my dad about compliments and showing some affections when people deserve it.
I actually started working with one of the youngest ifbb pros in europe by complimenting him i told him "you re too big bro, leave some size for the rest of us!" Then i asked him about his goals and rest is history. Compliments go A LONG way!!!

DiamondDog

New Contributor
Dec 3, 2016
Seduction.

I've spent the last year improving my "game" with women. It didn't only help me get with women I thought were unattainable before but my social skills in general have progressed a lot (not that I was a complete dweeb before).

Nothing like walking into a room and being the most confident person in it. Always strong eye contact, good posture and confident speaking. Sh*t, I've come to realize that a lot of times it's not about what you say but how you say it.

Before anyone thinks that I gained confidence because I seduced women, let me tell that's not the case. I got confidence and THEN I got the women.

Pat D. Rick

uhhh...42?
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jun 11, 2016
From the top of my head, these are the things that come first to my mind:

Fitness/Nutrition
I plan on living a long and healthy life, so it is important I start now with the right lifestyle not in 50 years. I keep reading and learning about stuff that has the potential of making me a stronger and healthier person.
I also go to the gym and do a good mix of cardio and calisthenics. Never lifting weights though, can't see how that should be any better than my current programm.

Reading/Audiobooks

As for the non business books I like self-development books and yes, even good old novels. I enjoy listening to audiobooks that are NOT about business, but about adventures and heroes. It sparks my creativity as I'm following the audiobook and diving deeper into the story.

Science
For educational purpose of course. The things I'm most interested in are evolutionary biology, physics and behavioral psychology. It's important in my eyes to look behind the curtains and understand how things work and how they came to be.

People
With this I don't just mean becoming better with people-skills. I actually mean that I try to learn from everybody I'm talking to. There is quote that goes something like this "Every person you will ever meet, knows something that you don't know".
This is so true and so I always ask people about their life, passion, skills etc. When a topic comes up that I have no clue about, I start asking questions.
Somehow this could count as people-skill as well because people love to talk about themself. Most of the time I try to be the one that's listening not talking.

NVious

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jun 12, 2015
Buying time.

Omg this one is MASSIVE, almost ALWAYS the person will feel indebted to you if you are a serious individual that comes prepared, has a good attitude and a bit of a sense of a humor and the relational capital will almost always exceed the $1-300 you spend for the hour.

I would say there is a sweet spot though

Think the demand for someone like Mark Cuban isn't actually in line with the value he creates, not saying he is a "scam" or anything like that for charging 50k for the hour, but I'm just saying bang for the buck might be better for people that can basically do 85-95% of what he can for 1-5k.

Anyways, I don't think this is an issue, but I'm just throwing it out there as I like thought experiments.

Personal recent example, bought 1/2 an hour of poker coaching for $175 USD, did this person create that immediate value back? Depends....negative mindset would say "NO, HE BASICALLY TOLD YOU WHAT YOU KNOW" positive mindset would be "ok that means I STICK to the right path, he did answer a few specific questions that I had in very specific poker spots and he was a good dude" and in actuality he ended up pointing me to the right person to pitch for my poker course which could have an immediate ROI of 30,000% (original $175 investment) and lifetime value of the relational capital created could honestly be in the millions as in

1.He points me to the right person
2.Because I cite him to the right person that gives me social proof and authority
3.Person is more likely to comply with my ideas
4.Because of all of this I get a paid position with my poker course at this training site
5.They know I do quality work and they stake me for larger tournaments like the main event in Vegas for 10k as they know I'm a GODLY player who has a GODLY work ethic and is just in general a good dude that would help anyone out if he could

All From JUST $175......

NVious

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jun 12, 2015
Accessories, i.e hats, bracelets, chains and a watch.

These items total may cost $500-1k, BUT THEY INVITE PEOPLE TO COMPLIMENT YOU (if someone is complimenting they are or WILL BE a high level individual, yes parasites can employ this strategy as well, but that's not really much of a thing and a bit of awareness and you avoid this), but they are GREAT conversation starters that you can then basically build a relationship with the person SOLELY BASED ON THESE INANIMATE OBJECTS WHEREAS OTHERWISE THEY MAY HAVE NEVER SAID ANYTHING TO YOU!!

KEEP IN MIND THEY ONLY NEED TO CREATE A CERTAIN AMOUNT OF MONEY (LET'S JUST SAY 1K FOR SAKE OF EASE) FOR THEM TO BE WORTHWHILE INVESTMENTS AS A LIFETIME PROPOSITION!!!!!!!

Charnell

Super Nintendo, Sega Genesis
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Oct 12, 2014
South Dakota
Off the wall, but auto detailing.

I first got into it back in 2013 when I was still in the military. Spent a few hours after work one day cleaning the Cadillac and made it shine!

Today it was mid 90s with the same amount of humidity, decided to make that 15 year old car look new again.

It's hard to describe the satisfaction and triumph you feel when you finally rub down that last bit of carnauba wax and smile at your sweaty reflection. Something about taking ownership and seeing the finished project in its completeness, after a few hours of elbow grease.

Too bad I'm off the booze wagon for a few weeks, because tonight would be the perfect night for a few beers to relax after that workout.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

YoungPadawan

Miles to go before I sleep
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Nov 7, 2015
I've been working on my nutrition by eating Paleo/keto and have been jumping rope to get into better shape.

I've also been learning how to dress better and have been purging my old wardrobe.

guy93777

Bronze Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jun 5, 2019

character , self reliance, self confidence and survival skills .

people skills are important but we never know how people will react in life.

the results are too random. i don't believe in people skills . i believe in systems

i believe that system thinking is key for interacting with people.

because no matter what people do, the odds that you will get what you want are high

fo example : the banking system , the insurance system.

quick explanation :

NVious

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jun 12, 2015
Sorry for the triple post, was not my intention, just they all didn't come to mind at once, so it came out this way.

NOT thinking you are better than people, GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND FOR PEOPLE YOU FEEL HAVE GREAT POTENTIAL EVEN IF YOU ARE "OBJECTIVELY ABOVE THEM." Yes ofc people can only be helped if they want to be and you may look like a bit of an a$$ at times, but I feel this gets taken to an extreme and if you are a legit person there is nothing wrong with putting yourself out there and "forcing" (obviously not actually forcing) help.

I'll give a personal example, recently some 15 year old Russian kid that is into reading SI books (Brian Tracy, Dale Carnegie, Richard Koch, Robert Kiyosaki) and fitness liked one of my posts, now he didn't follow me or anything, so I could easily go "cool" and just ignore it, but I saw that he has great potential so I liked a ton of his pictures, left comments and followed him first. I then sent him a message to encourage him to keep doing what he's doing and to tell him the importance of learning English for success.

Obviously this is going above and beyond and who knows maybe he stops one day or something. BUT, it is important along the business, entrepreneur and self improvement journey not to become TOO jaded about people which is very, very VERY easy and to actually FORCE yourself to go above and beyond in the way you would when you were starting out so as to mimic the beginners mind.

This doesn't necessarily have to do with business, many people here have plenty of other skills, i.e the guy with the auto waxing (just an example, nothing meant by it other than proximity means it's an easy example for me to go on) could go on craiglist or kijiji or a car forum and offer it free to someone or free to teach them, NO expectations, they could be shitty people, they could be time wasters and they could even be parasites, but sometimes we need to go above and beyond and just give with NOTHING in return.

Pick up trash on the street
Give money to homeless
Ask people how their day is going, ask people if you can help them with anything, ask people about their goals
EXPECT NOTHING when you do this, just humble yourself and approach life as a beginner

Challenge yourself to do this once a week, I don't care what level you are (most of you are at least close to intermediate), do it, offer something free and expect nothing in return. Hell do it through Craiglist , Kijiji, a forum, to one of your friends, give something of yours away etc etc.

Ubu_roi

Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jul 24, 2018
Europe
A lot of the things that were said before are great, and I totally agree with many of them!

The one thing that wasn't mentioned before, and helped me a ton is acting (as in theatre acting).

It directly and immediately helps with speaking in public, using the right tone of voice, being aware of your body and your expressions.

It's a "safe ground", where you can make huge mistakes, with (almost) no consequences at all. It's all a game after all, like a small piece of life.

After some time, it also helps you understand people better, and makes you ask questions about yourself. You sometimes reach your limits, and you're ALWAYS, always very uncomfortable. Which also helps ;-)

happiness2go

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Jul 21, 2018
Germany

character , self reliance, self confidence and survival skills .

people skills are important but we never know how people will react in life.

the results are too random. i don't believe in people skills . i believe in systems

i believe that system thinking is key for interacting with people.

because no matter what people do, the odds that you will get what you want are high

fo example : the banking system , the insurance system.

quick explanation :

View attachment 25440
Excellent point! Systems thinking is an amazing thought-tool that I had somewhat forgotten about. Thanks for the reminder !

For anyone who is interested in starting to learn about systems thinking - Peter Sange's book "The fifth discpipline" is the best starting point IMO.

Some other skills that just came to my mind:

Creative thinking:
Tools that help with idea creation (mind mapping, Six Thinking Hats, design thinking etc.)

Tony Buzan and Edward de Bono are among my favorite thinkers here.

Memory palace / method of ioci:
The skill that the worldchampions in memorization have mastered. Interesting tool to memorize insane amounts of information.

Emotional intelligence:
The ability to manage your own internal state - certainly an important skill to develop.

Intercultural communication:
In a globalized economy, the ability to communicate with someome from a different culture is becoming more and more crucial.

Reactions: MTF

NVious

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jun 12, 2015
Taking notes:

Got a good idea?

WRITE IT DOWN

Shoot for 10 a day James Altucher style, but even 1 a day will have you KILLING IT COMPARED TO THE AVERAGE PERSON BY THE END OF A FEW MONTHS EVEN!!!!

//////

Phone sleeve
for warm showers, not so you can browse IG, but so you can take notes as most good ideas come to us in the shower due to it's relaxing nature

/////

Going through your notes at the end of the week

uroz

New Contributor
Dec 2, 2016
Haven't seen it mentioned a lot but I think we should put more notice on simple fixing stuff, working with various tools(hand tools, power tools), building stuff. My GFs father is oldschool, that dude can build anything you imagine a single person can, its amazing to see his methods compared to my primitive stuff. I mostly build EASY stuff with wood, but always wanted to try some welding.

Just starting to build my own workbench since I had no place to work on my stuff.

NVious

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jun 12, 2015
Humble activities:

Japanese Samurais used to meditate on being killed.

I believe we too must learn to be humble.

One thing I do is pick up garbage I see on the ground, it's futile and I don't do much (a few per day), but it keeps me humble and reminds me:

1.I am NOT bigger than my environment

2.I too one day will be discarded (dead) like the trash

3.In a way it lets me feel extremely alive and happy as it is a positive thing

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe to become an INSIDER.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom