The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How did you find your industry??

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Thank you for you wisdom , however that seems to be my issue . I'm not sure what you mean by dig into "something" .
start with an industry that:

1) You have a little bit of interest in
2) Already has people spending money

And do something...anything...even freelancing.

For example: I've been around the computer industry for years, and I like computers. So, I started doing freelance Access programming. My eventual goal is to build a SaaS business. Right now, though, I'm still doing custom software, but I'm managing the process and am not doing programming anymore. I hire people to do that for me.

The fact that I was a freelancer and in control of my own destiny gave me the ability to change my business slowly but surely into something that is more than just a freelance gig.

If you like cars, become a car detailer. I met a guy that did very well for himself detailing luxury cars for rich people in Montecito. He had a whole crew of people working for him. While I think he does some of the work himself, he was the chief salesman, and he was very good at that part of his job. Who knows where he is today, but he could have used that business to build into something bigger.

yeah, sure, CENTS is great (read MJ's book), but some people like me need to start with something more basic and build from there.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

WinTheDay

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
Oct 20, 2015
USA

And do something...anything...even freelancing.

Thank you for this , I'm going to be following your first two steps thoroughly until I find something that fits good ! Thank you .

I occasionally freelance on Upwork I guess I'll get back to that not interesting in the least just brings in income .

Paul Thomas

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Jul 9, 2013
my industry found me.

:rolleyes:

but really - although I'm very new in what I'm pursuing, I just jumped in to something I saw demand for.

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Thank you for this , I'm going to be following your first two steps thoroughly until I find something that fits good ! Thank you .

I occasionally freelance on Upwork I guess I'll get back to that not interesting in the least just brings in income .
when you do get back to freelancing, focus on what kinds of problems your clients are facing. See if you can enlarge the project they hired you for - not because you're trying to get more out of them, but because you've found something they truly need that they didn't know about before they talked to you.

Get into that mindset as soon as you can, and your freelance gig will grow quickly.

BeFound Faithful

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Dec 19, 2015
Southern California
Thank you for thatI guess I was really frustrated not being able to get what I want and lost focus on what's really important like you said is what other people want .

Thank you for taking the time to post this , my thing is when you say shift from consumer to producer are you speaking in all aspects of your life . Or just key parts , examples if you don't mind
I must admit I'm consuming tons on stuff , books , podcasts ( listening to a podcast right now ) , motivation blogs , etc .. I'm taking in so much but releasing nothing . Very frustrating .

WinTheDay,

On what business to choose....

What need do people have that your strengths can help address and meet?

About switching from consumer to producer...

The idea is somehow to force change your thinking. I would suggest making yourself answer this question (and others) but maybe this to start.

With all this that I'm learning how am I going to put it to work?

and you could ask yourself

How can I make the transition from trying to get to actually giving?

The uncomfortable part is not letting yourself off the hook.

WinTheDay

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
Oct 20, 2015
USA
when you do get back to freelancing, focus on what kinds of problems your clients are facing. See if you can enlarge the project they hired you for - not because you're trying to get more out of them, but because you've found something they truly need that they didn't know about before they talked to you.

Get into that mindset as soon as you can, and your freelance gig will grow quickly.

Thank you very much , this is very helpful .

WinTheDay

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
Oct 20, 2015
USA
WinTheDay,

What need do people have that your strengths can help address and meet?

About switching from consumer to producer...

The idea is somehow to force change your thinking. I would suggest making yourself answer this question (and others) but maybe this to start.

With all this that I'm learning how am I going to put it to work?

and you could ask yourself

How can I make the transition from trying to get to actually giving?

Thank you , I must admit that this is truly eye opening and a change in perspective for me . It doesn't get any more clearer than this , thanks for taking the time to break down your thoughts .

WinTheDay

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
Oct 20, 2015
USA

Found two industries , one I've been apart of for years and another I want to be apart of. Going to be browsing them for needs/wants. Pretty sure money is being spent in both markets. Thank you.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.