The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How did you find your industry??

Mr4213

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
May 9, 2016
This question is aimed more at the people who have already achieved noteworthy success in a field.

I read A LOT of books related to business and finance. I listen to podcast all the time (Recently I have been listening to some of Mj's interviews and youtube) I read blogs (Like Mark Cuban) I'd say at minimum I spend 12 hours a day just learning s**** relevant to business. Some days I even read two books and take notes on them. I studied 14 hours a day and taught myself JavaScript in one week (The fundamentals) I have learned a good amount of information, but while useful, I feel it is too broad. I also have nothing tangible to apply that knowledge to.

I want to be focused on one single industry and kick a** at it. If I spent the 12 hours a day learning I do now on one single focus I feel I would be able to do so much more and I could actually start producing tangible results. I would be able to analyze one specific industry and identify opportunities with it.

I feel that my biggest issue is that I can not choose a industry to jump into for various reasons.

So for all of you successful fastlaners out there, how did you choose your industry?

Were you searching for a need and found one? Then jumped into the industry?

Or did you already have a set industry and then you found needs within it?

Should I stop analyzing and just say f*** it and jump into something and give it my all?

And what advice would you give to someone in my situation?

Thanks for any and all insights.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ilrein

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Oct 1, 2012
This is similar to asking: what's the meaning of life, why should I be alive?

Isn't there any field that peaks your natural interest? Is there any subject that captivates your imagination?

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
"You don't need to be an expert."

G

GuestUserX09

My industry found me. (lol being dramatic.) I literally just started doing what I thought seemed cool and had a decent payoff. After a several years of toying around you'll forget that your toy projects are now big boy projects worth money. Do it for fun at first or you'll be disappointed.

Or like @sWALK90 said.. just pick something.

As @Andy Black said.. You don't need to be an expert but.. for me, I was never really confident about my work or making much money until I at least knew most of what was going on in the industry.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
This question is aimed more at the people who have already achieved noteworthy success in a field.

I read A LOT of books related to business and finance. I listen to podcast all the time (Recently I have been listening to some of Mj's interviews and youtube) I read blogs (Like Mark Cuban) I'd say at minimum I spend 12 hours a day just learning s**** relevant to business. Some days I even read two books and take notes on them. I studied 14 hours a day and taught myself JavaScript in one week (The fundamentals) I have learned a good amount of information, but while useful, I feel it is too broad. I also have nothing tangible to apply that knowledge to.

I want to be focused on one single industry and kick a** at it. If I spent the 12 hours a day learning I do now on one single focus I feel I would be able to do so much more and I could actually start producing tangible results. I would be able to analyze one specific industry and identify opportunities with it.

I feel that my biggest issue is that I can not choose a industry to jump into for various reasons.

So for all of you successful fastlaners out there, how did you choose your industry?

Should I stop analyzing and just say f*** it and jump into something and give it my all?

@Mr4213 ... read this thread:

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
You're consuming a lot of content OP.

Would you say you're on team Consumer or team Producer at the moment?

Which team do you want to be on?

"You don't learn until you launch." (Dan Norris)

Here's another post that might help:

ZeroTo100

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Feb 2, 2016
New York City / New Jersey
I feel like nobody has experienced this more than I have, but now I'm learning it seems to be a common thing.

I'm trying to attack it from multiple angles. I'll explain more in my progress thread about how i'm dealing with it.

I've had some success in the past, and a lot of failure after. I've also experienced idea overload.

Here is what i'm learning...

A) If you're selling a physical product, the product doesn't really matter all that much. Find something that you can change just a little bit. The problem doesn't have to be that big.I think the way it's marketed has more to do with it.
B) You don't have to have passion to build something successful. When you start making money, YOU'LL DEVELOP PASSION for business. Put passion into building a brand, not the product. It makes sense too. If you sold junk cars for $600 a pop and you were selling 9 a day, or selling gold watches and making $200 but you only sold 1 a week...Which do you think you would have more fun with?
C) F.O.C.U.S - FOLLOW ONE COURSE UNTIL SUCCESSFUL...

(C) I'm still currently trying to figure out. I've got multiple things going on and I'm trying to validate projects before I decide to focus on the 1 that will get me to where I want to be. I really think passion is BS. You can have passion for other projects after your successful and made some money...

Good luck!

Mr4213

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
May 9, 2016
You're consuming a lot of content OP.

Would you say you're on team Consumer or team Producer at the moment?

Which team do you want to be on?

"You don't learn until you launch." (Dan Norris)

Here's another post that might help:
I 100% agree, I have been thinking the same thing myself.

I would not consider the learning a waste though. If not for the books, I would be just another one of the masses after all. After reading a good book I have never regretted the lessons taught.

Believe me though, I am 100% ready to jump in. Just having issues finding what I would like to be involved with. Everything I have seen so far is just crowded and has low barriers to entry which I avoid for obvious reasons. I want to create real value and innovate. Not be another interchangeable business with margins competed away.

So up to this point I have just been learning and seeking out needs that need to be solved and or looking for things to improve on.

Mr4213

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
May 9, 2016
This is similar to asking: what's the meaning of life, why should I be alive?

Isn't there any field that peaks your natural interest? Is there any subject that captivates your imagination?

To be honest, the only thing I really love is business itself and that is the problem. I love everything about it

David Young

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Jun 1, 2015
There are a multitude of different areas to consider with a given industry. I can claim a degree of technical expertise in my chosen field, but this doesn't even begin to touch on all the other relevant fields (logistics, HR, finance etc). An alternative approach would be to consider a product or service that be applied to multiple industries. This would also provide some hedge against the economic cycles of a single industry.

CPisHere

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Sep 17, 2011
Louisiana
My wife's kid's retail store came from her love for kids, which gave her a target market, which lead us down the rabbit hole of filling needs.

My janitorial company came from researching business models that would be inexpensive to start/scale. A key factor was that I was my own customer, as I will be selling to people in the same position as my full-time job.

Leo Hendrix

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Apr 15, 2014
Do you have a job?

You could start off with any position in something that interests you and preferably in a position that you can see how the whole operation is run etc.

Another way, utilize what you have learnt as a service somehow to someone who can pay you for it or offer mentoring, equity or something else valuable in return, you could find something like this via craigslist for example if you cant find someone locally.

MJ found his opportunity while working and being active out in the real world in some field, so its better to get out there somehow.

WinTheDay

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
Oct 20, 2015
USA
It seems that I am going through the same exact problem/phase as OP, it seems the hardest part for me is just picking an area. I'm not really concerned whether I will like it or not I'm more focused on just getting started and gain the experience and momentum I want.

I wouldn't say I'm indecisive it's more along the line as finding something that I believe has a reasonable chance of working.

I DON'T KNOW WHERE TO FIND MARKETS

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
You won't really find your industry until you dig into something with everything you have.

Its not as bad as it might sound - when you actually do dig into something, it will likely morph over time into something that matches your core skills and interests. You won't know what those skills and interests really are, though, until you dig in.

Keep learning and reading, just don't do it 12 hours a day...1 hour a day is plenty. You'll learn much more by doing.

Empires

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Jan 12, 2016
Planet Earth
Looking for industries then finding needs is backwards in my opinion.

I didn't worry about what industry to be in. I just looked for needs in my day to day life and found many needs every day.

Ideas came from commercials, articles, thought sessions, etc. Not all of the ideas will suit you.

Keep a list of ideas and then narrow it down until you have the one that interests you most.

But don't get stuck on that step like I did, you eventually have to pick one and execute.

illmasterj

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
253%
Jan 19, 2016
1360m
I picked IT because I was always good on a computer. A friend picked dentistry because he knew there was heavy demand and not enough supply. Another became a printer because an opportunity presented itself at the right time (he just sold his printing company for multiple millions). Many went into construction because they didn't know what to do and it was the family trade.

Don't over think it, the more things you try the better idea you will have. Better to try something for a while, hate it and know rather than researching what you might like online. Experience is great for personal growth.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
244%
Dec 27, 2015
Phoenix OR
Sometimes, it's a matter of letting your mind percolate quietly in the background. Then you wake up one day and go, "Oh, people are already asking me for this product/service/advice. There may be a bigger market here."
Or the more you talk to customers, the more they tell you what they want. After my 3rd big customer asked for a book club, I created a turnkey club for their companies. I should have done it for the first.
Or, events just coalesce, and you're in the right place at the right time. I'm finishing up a book, and got a reminder notice from a trade forum. Hey, EP on the East Coast is about to retire...and his site still looks like crap. And, it's an election year... hmmm.... there's definitely an opportunity here!

You never know how the idea comes, or when. Write down all your quirky ideas. Just remember, action precedes motivation. I would never have been able to take advantage of the next big product development if I hadn't kept up with industry news, and maintained certain relationships.

BeFound Faithful

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Dec 19, 2015
Southern California

What are you doing now?

WinTheDay

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
Oct 20, 2015
USA
What do other people want?

Thank you for thatI guess I was really frustrated not being able to get what I want and lost focus on what's really important like you said is what other people want .

Shift from consumer to producer. I'm not too far ahead of you but that shift is necessary. I wish knowledge (don't get me wrong i'm reading stuff all the time) = $$$ like many of us were raised to believe but it's not true.

Thank you for taking the time to post this , my thing is when you say shift from consumer to producer are you speaking in all aspects of your life . Or just key parts , examples if you don't mind
I must admit I'm consuming tons on stuff , books , podcasts ( listening to a podcast right now ) , motivation blogs , etc .. I'm taking in so much but releasing nothing . Very frustrating .

WinTheDay

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
Oct 20, 2015
USA
Looking for industries then finding needs is backwards in my opinion.

I didn't worry about what industry to be in. I just looked for needs in my day to day life and found many needs every day.

Ideas came from commercials, articles, thought sessions, etc. Not all of the ideas will suit you.

Keep a list of ideas and then narrow it down until you have the one that interests you most.

But don't get stuck on that step like I did, you eventually have to pick one and execute.

Thanks a lot , I love this . my only problem is that I really want to start pushing out content and generate a following and then find a need mostly because I just feel like I'm endlessly consuming without putting anything out . It's like day by day goes and I've learned but that's it . Any words would be great . Thanks again !

WinTheDay

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
Oct 20, 2015
USA
You won't really find your industry until you dig into something with everything you have.

Its not as bad as it might sound - when you actually do dig into something, it will likely morph over time into something that matches your core skills and interests. You won't know what those skills and interests really are, though, until you dig in.

Keep learning and reading, just don't do it 12 hours a day...1 hour a day is plenty. You'll learn much more by doing.
Thank you for you wisdom , however that seems to be my issue . I'm not sure what you mean by dig into "something" .

WinTheDay

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
Oct 20, 2015
USA
Didn't mean to hijack the thread ... I'm just going through the exact same thing as OP... :headbanger:

jesseissorude

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Jun 12, 2014
Nashville
Start with the customer.

Who is a community of people that you would wake up every day excited to help?

I'm an electrical engineer with an extensive background in rapid prototyping and digital design... so I was pretty much always going to make electronic doodads to sell. But--without getting into too much detail about what I do--I also belong to a community of people that loves buying new devices for their hobby/job and will spend extravagantly on just the right one.

Sorry to be vague, I just don't want to share too much about what it is that my business sells, but the point is this:

I chose the customer first, then found where my skills intersect with a need they had.

David Young

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Jun 1, 2015
Start with the customer.

Who is a community of people that you would wake up every day excited to help?

I'm an electrical engineer with an extensive background in rapid prototyping and digital design... so I was pretty much always going to make electronic doodads to sell. But--without getting into too much detail about what I do--I also belong to a community of people that loves buying new devices for their hobby/job and will spend extravagantly on just the right one.

Sorry to be vague, I just don't want to share too much about what it is that my business sells, but the point is this:

I chose the customer first, then found where my skills intersect with a need they had.
I think this a fantastic approach. Part of reason i ended up here was because i am not happy with the industry i am in. Though it is important to recognise that all industries have their negatives and even the most glamorous can become tedious at times.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.