The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Hiring and Managing Contractors (developers). Advice Needed

A topic related to SAAS or APPs

mojorisin

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Oct 6, 2019
I've hired a few contractors in the past for task work with success. In building a SaaS, I learned I needed more than only a developer so I negotitated with a smaller agency. Overall its gone well, and I trust the owner. The UI looks good, but after the big project they lost interest and now have fumbled on ongoing updates. I need to keep going back to have them fix very basic items that are not correct.

The main issue, I believe, is they are not actually using or even attempting to use the product we're developing. We used to call it "eating our own dogfood". I know this because they make stupid and obvious development mistakes that anybody with common sense using the product would not do. When I asked them, they're like "we're not fintech experts". Yeah, ok but we're talking basics like 3 column totals need to equal each other. I then need to escalate, then they charge me to redo some of the basic crap. It also costs me alot of extra time.

So I found a specific dev on Upwork who's highly rated, has an MBA, and when I speak with him he "gets it".

However I have comfort with the agency since they handled my setup, devops, and overall build for 8 months. I'd essentially be leaving them for an unknown.

I really need to go faster, not have to re-explain basic stuff. Not only does it cost me money but TIME to market. I have test users waiting on features or I'm gonna lose their interest.

Any advice here for you experts??? TIA.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

binydev

New Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Jan 20, 2024
I think both working with individual developers and agency works perfect. How about have you consider technical co-founder with some small share.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
@GIlman has a team of developers I think.

mojorisin

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Oct 6, 2019
I think both working with individual developers and agency works perfect. How about have you consider technical co-founder with some small share.
I have thought about the co-founder. While I have not done it in my past, I can envision the pro & con. I would not want to do 50%, but something like 20% would be of interest to me. My thinking is to find a developer who is already working with me, if strong, then make an offer of ownership in exchange for development work.

My other thought of a co-founder would be an influencer. Somebody who could catapult the business simply through their network.

Bottom line: they would need to add significant value to the business. Its always "fun" to co-found with a buddy, but if they will not catapult the business with a unique skill I do not have then what's the point right?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

binydev

New Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Jan 20, 2024
I have thought about the co-founder. While I have not done it in my past, I can envision the pro & con. I would not want to do 50%, but something like 20% would be of interest to me. My thinking is to find a developer who is already working with me, if strong, then make an offer of ownership in exchange for development work.

My other thought of a co-founder would be an influencer. Somebody who could catapult the business simply through their network.

Bottom line: they would need to add significant value to the business. Its always "fun" to co-found with a buddy, but if they will not catapult the business with a unique skill I do not have then what's the point right?
You made good points, actually for being co-founder it needs to have the same vision not only technical skill. But if you find someone that shared you vision and technical skill, and you with good idea and marketing or sales, it is easy to build robust product that we call productoracy,

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.