The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Here we go! Countdown to self sufficiency.

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

94blackbird

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
May 21, 2015
Cleveland, Ohio
Wow, thread titles can be tough when you don't want to just say "look at my progress thread for xyz business!"

There will be a little rambling here.

While this will be a progress thread, I'm also starting this thread to help keep myself honest. Which is why before I go into some "details" (by which I mean vague descriptions of things that could pass for details), there are a couple things I want to confess *WARNING* what comes next may sound like a pity party, but it is far from it.

I'm a big thinker. I've been thinking all my life, way outside the box, sometimes to the point of trying to reinvent the box. To the point where I have note books of scribbles and drawings that will likely never see the light of day. To the point where I take little if any action in the past because I was too busy thinking!

I've been a little doer. By this I mean I've done all the typical wantreprenuerial type stuff like fancy logos, brainstorming to the point of turning the dead horse into mush, you know, good old fashioned busy work that doesn't actually produce anything other than feeling like you accomplished something rather than actually accomplishing something

I'm messy. I start things then tend to leave them half finished. As I write this I'm trying to find the motivation to clean up my last mess from my last side bid to get ready for my latest venture.

That feels better the get some of my inner thoughts out (or it will once I post it.)

Now on to the good stuff

My latest idea violates the "don't follow YOUR passion" line of thinking hugely, as it focus' on something I've always been interested in. It also evolved from the current mess that I have to clean up in order to move forwards. It's also in an industry full of people literally trying to follow their dreams.

Insert Big BUTT(s and I cannot lie, and you other brothers can't deny)

I will be approaching this from a teacher/lifestyle coach type angle to help people who might be interested but are discouraged because they don't have all the facts about what it takes to get started in my particular niche. The niche I am targeting gives me an almost unlimited audience base, as many who are in it now don't know they are yet. Or they have thought about it but never took action because they don't know how to get started.

This will give me plenty of material to work with for how to's, tech tips and performance guides. News and happenings within the industry will also be posted, as well as links to sites to provide more indepth coverage than I will likely have time for at this stage, but can drive traffic due to being a more centralized directory and also eventually getting a link or mention on their pages. This is also a part of my advertising plan, but not the only part. I have a couple other avenues I want to utilize that will get my name and my product out there and in people's minds.

This will back end nicely into the products and services I will be offering for sale, which will be an immense value when compared to my competitors (of which there are no current direct competitors, but many who offer various parts of what I will be proposing.). There are people who will probably think I am insane or naive for offering my product at the prices I feel are correct for my niche. Which is ok. I've been called worse.

The risks are almost non existant beyond the risk that I will crash and burn, the way I am going to do this. I will be working from home, and the equipment I need is stuff I would need to buy eventually anyways for my own personal projects. I would like to eventually rent or buy a building to work out of, but it isn't necessary at the moment and would be an (at this point) unwanted and unwarrented unnecessary added expense.

My (current) main (longterm) goals are:

Up and running by the end of the year. I would prefer sooner, but I have a huge rash of time consuming commitments over the rest of the summer this year, and into the fall. Next year I will be more careful with my ti.

Post updates monthly at a minimum, even if it is just to kick myself in the butt for not getting anything done that month. I will post more often if my progress warrants it.

My #1 goal is to get out from needing my current (or any) job (working for someone else). My work schedule this year has been less than stable, and it makes barely getting by a huge accomplishment at this point. I've also had to start over several times in the last few years because, for one reason or another, I was either unable to continue working that job (several injuries that kept me from continuing in the Marine Corps) or my boss' no longer required my services (last 2 jobs before the current one).

Current Next Step: Finish removing mess from my work area.
Finish date: No later than August 31st, 2015

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Grok

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Jul 14, 2015
Apache junction
Some of the things you are dealing with are very close to what I need to work on.
I recommend the threads 7 things not to do. Also 7 things to do.
I

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Grok

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Jul 14, 2015
Apache junction
Some of the things you are dealing with are very close to what I need to work on.
I recommend the threads 7 steps that will radically change your life in 30 days or less,guaranteed Also 7 things to do if you don't want to be a millionaire

I

I recommend the threads 7 things not to do. Also 7 things to do.
I

Charnell

Block me if you're a quack
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 12, 2014
Kansas City
unable to continue working that job (several injuries that kept me from continuing in the Marine Corps)

Semper fi, brother.

Are you using the GI Bill at all? I got out last year and am going to start my second year of school next month. One of the reasons I bring it up is because the monthly stipend was enough to cover all expenses during the school year, and I continued building up my publishing gig to the point where this was the first summer "off" I've had in years. By off I mean I was and am able to work on my own things as opposed to working.

94blackbird

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
May 21, 2015
Cleveland, Ohio
Semper fi, brother.

Are you using the GI Bill at all? I got out last year and am going to start my second year of school next month. One of the reasons I bring it up is because the monthly stipend was enough to cover all expenses during the school year, and I continued building up my publishing gig to the point where this was the first summer "off" I've had in years. By off I mean I was and am able to work on my own things as opposed to working.

I did use my GI bill, went to a trade school after I got out. The seed for my current idea was planted there, it's just taken me awhile to come around to it lol. In the mean time I need to keep working to pay my bills and obligations.
What I got from the tech school and the following experience tie pretty heavily into what I'm getting ready to do. While it is possible to self educate, it would take someone a long time and a lot of trial and error to gain what I have already. I also have a natural affinity for my chosen niche, and sometimes think the instructors at the school (who are all very knowledgeable and highly experienced) sometimes had problems grasping some of the things I'm planning to do.

Last edited:

94blackbird

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
May 21, 2015
Cleveland, Ohio
Update #1

Been fleshing out some ideas I have for my pre grand opening campaign. Even have a catchy catch phrase that should help cement my business' equally catchy name in people's minds when they are thinking about my niche/industry. I've also been looking into the equipment I need to get started, and just about have that cost nailed down. I'm shooting for having that ironed out right around the time I finish cleaning up my previous mess. From there I will be building my prototypes. I haven't nailed down a price point as of yet, simply for the fact that I need to figure out how much time it's going to take me to produce each unit, but I'm close, I have all the material costs nailed down. I want to have my prototypes finished by the end of october at the very latest. Any later than that and I will have to look at pushing back my opening date.

I also have my first and second year growth goals roughed out, where I believe I will be from the time I go live to then. I'm aiming to be profiting right around 10k a month by the end of the second year. Could definitely be more, I'm going to try like hell for it not to be less than that.

Worked on the mess a little over the weekend, tomorrow is going to be a big day. I'm going to get rid of a lot that I don't need or want for my current venture. After that I'll be moving stuff I do want or need to an off site storage facility. This will give me back most of my space and allow me to start doing what I need to do to get it workable. The mess won't be completely gone tomorrow, but I will be a big step towards getting it gone.

Short version:
Made progress on advertising, content and branding for my business.
Looking to aquire necessary minimum equipment by the end of august.
Will be ordering material for prototypes around that same time

Immediate goals:
Clean out/get rid of majority of mess tomorrow, July 22, 2015.
Finish mess no later than August 31st 2015 (I know this will sound like an excuse, but I do need the flexibility due to my time commitments and the vagueries of ohio weather. Much of what I have to accomplish is currently out of doors.)

I will report back my progress tomorrow on the clean out/dumping.

94blackbird

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
May 21, 2015
Cleveland, Ohio
Did not get as far as I wanted today for a number of reasons, mainly my fault (procrastination), but remembering that I had to post progress here helped kick my butt in gear and only waste half the day.

There was also A LOT more than I had originally anticipated. 2 loads to the scrapper for sure. First load is ready to go though so I'll hit it hard first thing in the morning and get what I wanted to finished up.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

94blackbird

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
May 21, 2015
Cleveland, Ohio
The mess I was targeting today is gone. A little sweep up is all, but I made a lot of progress today.

94blackbird

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
May 21, 2015
Cleveland, Ohio
Quick progress update:

Worked on the mess a little, haven't had the time I thought I would lately, but it is still manageable to get it cleared out in the time I've allotted myself.

i have also been doing a little soul searching, if you will, to pare back my business concept to the basics. I had to do this, as I have seen the numerous pathways to which my original idea could branch, and it's bringing me to near inaction from the amount of actionable material that is available to me. In the coming days I'm going to write down my focus and put it on the wall in front of my computer so I have a visual cue to help keep me on track. I'm also going to start keeping an idea journal as a way to get the ideas that aren't focused on what I'm immediately working on out of my head and out of the way. That way I will be able to come back at a later date and see if any of it still makes sense once my core business is up and running.

To that end I have identified the core of the value I'll be providing. I have a two pronged approach I will be following, one is offering the product itself for sale, the other is offering paid experiences to demonstrate the product and start getting word out about my business and the quality and value I will offer. People will pay to try out my product because it will be an escape from reality for them, a chance to pretend to live a lifestyle 99% of people can only dream of.

I have already identified the competitors in the demonstration part of my segment, and I will be able to blow them away as far as value to the customer.

still grinding away but that's ok. I can see the tunnel I need to dig to find the light at the other end.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.