The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Greetings from Nowhere

bwl772

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
300%
Jul 27, 2021
Hello everyone.

First off, I'm writing this one handed on my cell phone at 4am while trying to rock the baby to sleep. There will probably be a few typos. I need to get this off my chest though, I can feel the pressure bearing down on me, and I have to get it out, even if it's too a forum of strangers that have never met me.

I grew up in a small rural town. I graduated in 2005 (I'm 34 now) in a class of 37 people. My town had no stop light; only a gas station, a post office, a delapidated diner that has more rats than customers and a trailer park that was 100 yards from my school.

I didn't grow up poor, I'd say we were middle working class. My dad worked on cars before he got his union job. My mom worked at the hospital. We had everything we needed growing up; I had a Nintendo, an ATV I rode with my brother on our 5 acres. We had a good childhood.

Little did I realize the limits that were placed on my reality by my family. I don't blame anyone ; they didn't know any different, and never had the resources and technology I have now to learn any different way of life. Not a single person in my immediate family has a college degree. Nobody, from my grandpas, grandma's, mom or dad has known anything but a clock in and clock out 9-5.

My dad devoted his later working years to the union, which began to eat at his soul with the stress and pressure that the position brought on. He enjoyed the Prestige, but it eventually drove him to secretly, then openly become an alcoholic for about 10 years.

When I was in high school, all I ever wanted to do was follow in my grandpa and dad's footsteps and to work in the same industry. I attained that and got a well paying job with good benefits.

I loved it at first ; it was challenging, exciting, and in my little world, I couldn't dream of anything more.

I made it.

Fast forward 8 years from there, it's now 2014. I meet a girl from out of town. She's shirt, blonde, beautiful... and she's from LA.

I don't know why this girl decided to move from LA to my little mill town, but here she is. We go on a few dates and eventually get married.

This is where my reality begins to flip upside down.

I begin to meet her family. I notice a trend; nobody has a boss. Not her dad, her brother, her sister... nobody.

They all work for themselves. They all have their own businesses.

I barely knew what the word "entrepreneur" was before I met my wife. I thought it was for other people, smarter than me with more resources and connections than me. I was a union trades person. I was proud of my blue collar, hard working and dangerous profession.

It was my... identity...

And then, I had a few beers with her dad one day. We talked jobs, business and life. I told him I lived my job, it paid well, but I noticed a lot of people in LA work for themselves.

He explained how he was glad I was happy at my job, but he couldn't imagine working for a boss. He had scraped enough money together at a young age when he emigrated to the states to start a small restaurant that he eventually turned into 6 different locations. He was an entrepreneur. He charted his own course in life.

That plain ride back home was where my life pivoted. I was going back to a small town, a job, a community that only had a 9-5 mindset. That wasn't me, anymore.

I downloaded books to listen to at work. Rich Dad Poor Dad (which, iro I ally, my situation looks very similar to), and then I found The Millionaire Fastlane .

I listened to that book 3 times. There was something about the blunt honesty that was addicting.

I stewed on that book for a few years. Tons of business ideas, absolutely zero action. I kept grinding away at my 9-5.

One baby.

Two babies.

Now I'm 34. I'm having what some might call a midlife crisis. I'm afraid to call it that.

My dad just retired, extatic to escape the job he once idolized. My father in law in LA retired years ago. He's much younger than my dad and will neve need to work again from his businesses and investments.

My job is no longer fulfilling. Day in, day out, same shit. It's still a great job, it pays the bills, feeds my family and provides insurance for all of us.

For me though, it's doing nothing but that. I'm unfulfilled. Unmotivated to do this until I'm my dad's age, 30 more years, only to walk away frustrated and disgrunteled by a job I once revered and proudly identified with.

My sister in law just sold her Amazon business. She worked on it for 4 years. I remember the say she flew to Vegas to learn about e-commerce. She knew nothing, and worked like a dog every day since then. Her and her partner just sold it for 4 million. I'm extremely proud of her, but now I'm forced to examine my own life.

I'm at a crossroads. I can't keep doing this same unfulfilling work until I die. If my sister in law could do something like that, what makes me think I couldn't at least have a shot at success in my own business?

Now I have kids and a wife that depend on me while my soul seems to flicker out.

I need something else, something of my own, my own passion, my own project, my own business that nobody else can control but me....even if it's just a dream I chase for the rest of my life.

It's better than the alternative; groundhog day until I'm 62.

Thanks for reading.

- B

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Phenomenal intro, thanks for sharing. Interesting that you are surrounded by people who "have done it" or "are doing it". You've got a glimpse of a Fastlane without reading the book, then the book confirmed what you suspected.

Take a read at The Great Rat Race Escape -- the story in there feature a young couple (with two kids) who eventually find their way to an Unscripted /Fastlane... I believe the light turns on at age 34, just like you. The story would resonate with you.

Welcome aboard.

D

Deleted70138

Such a sincere story.
Good luck to you and even better adventures, in case you jump into entrepreneurship.

bwl772

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
300%
Jul 27, 2021
Phenomenal intro, thanks for sharing. Interesting that you are surrounded by people who "have done it" or "are doing it". You've got a glimpse of a Fastlane without reading the book, then the book confirmed what you suspected.

Take a read at The Great Rat Race Escape -- the story in there feature a young couple (with two kids) who eventually find their way to an Unscripted /Fastlane... I believe the light turns on at age 34, just like you. The story would resonate with you.

Welcome aboard.
I just finished that one. I've read all three of your books. I finished your newest book the day my sister in law sold her Amazon business. Same exact day. I read about the fi tional couple in the book (I won't give away the ending) only to come home to realise my sister in laws life just changed forever, too.

Hit me like a ton of bricks.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Yup, after a $4M liquidation, her life will never be the same. And here's the thing: She probably can do it again in 2, 3 years after all she learned.

BDR

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Aug 9, 2021
Northeast
Man, I'm reading this while working the night shift at a Union Job. It's been busy as hell in here "putting out fires" since I got in at 4:30 pm. It's 11:30 pm, a little more than half way there until the 5:00 am light at the end of the tunnel. I'm the Supervisor which is entry level salary. This means that I'm the person the hourly folks vent at and the scapegoat for the upper level management. I'm 40 yrs old and have worked hard in a career full of ups and downs, layoffs, shitty raises and petty promotions. It's a great job for the area but still forces me to live paycheck to paycheck. I know your situation and feel your pain buddy. I'm getting out too.

Odysseus M Jones

[B...{r<°∆°>}--O--{<°∆°>k}...E]
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Feb 2, 2020
I don't know why this girl decided to move from LA to my little mill town,

I begin to meet her family. I notice a trend; nobody has a boss. Not her dad, her brother, her sister... nobody.

They all work for themselves. They all have their own businesses.
Did you ever find out why your wife, a city slicker, surrounded by a family of entrepreneurs, move to a one gas station town and marry a regular Joe?

I'm at a crossroads. I can't keep doing this same unfulfilling work until I die
What's your plan?

bwl772

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
300%
Jul 27, 2021
Yup, after a $4M liquidation, her life will never be the same. And here's the thing: She probably can do it again in 2, 3 years after all she learned.
I watched her and her business partner literally work 7-8 days a week for 4 years. They were in the nutrition and supplement space.

I saw them deal with lawsuits, a bookkeeper that had no idea what she was doing and screwing up their taxes, Amazon updating their terms on supplements and them having to scrap massive orders due to not being up to par, people trolling their Amazon reviews.

It was a nightmare, but they never quit. And now she will probably walk away with around 1.2 or 1.3 when it's all said and done.

It was a front row seat to what the process actually is, and it was ugly at times.

But, I'm extremely proud of her and excited to see where her life takes her.

bwl772

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
300%
Jul 27, 2021
Man, I'm reading this while working the night shift at a Union Job. It's been busy as hell in here "putting out fires" since I got in at 4:30 pm. It's 11:30 pm, a little more than half way there until the 5:00 am light at the end of the tunnel. I'm the Supervisor which is entry level salary. This means that I'm the person the hourly folks vent at and the scapegoat for the upper level management. I'm 40 yrs old and have worked hard in a career full of ups and downs, layoffs, shitty raises and petty promotions. It's a great job for the area but still forces me to live paycheck to paycheck. I know your situation and feel your pain buddy. I'm getting out too.
Hang in there, you're not the only one in your position. Your not alone. I used to work a lot of 12 hour night shifts when I was single. It was great overtime money, but maaaaan, 3 or 4am hits and its TOUGH making it til the sun comes up. My "wall" was always 4am, I feared it every night. Haha

There are so many people that work in my industry that have let YEARS slip away, breaking their backs on 12 hour night shifts, only to do it again and again and again.... Man.

Life's too short for that.

Best of luck. Stay safe out there.

bwl772

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
300%
Jul 27, 2021
Did you ever find out why your wife, a city slicker, surrounded by a family of entrepreneurs, move to a one gas station town and marry a regular Joe?

What's your plan?
Im trying not to give too many details, but she took a job in a dying industry right out of college. She never planned on being here more than 2 years or so. Then, she was moving on to greener pastures.

We crossed paths while she was in the area working, and it's all history from there.

My plan now is to find a "side hustle" I can work on while working a full time job and taking care of a toddler and newborn.

I sold an old car and took the money and invested in a new laptop, some software and a camera to build high end virtual tours.

I've been working for free on the first few tours to build my confidence and portfolio, and I just got my first paid job of my life... Hahaha.... $300!!

My promise to myself was to make my first dollar for myself before the end of the year.

Maybe I'll double my money next year!! $600!! Haha...

I'm having fun though, adding value to local struggling small businesses, and it gives me a flicker of hope I can build this into something special.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I've been working for free on the first few tours to build my confidence and portfolio, and I just got my first paid job of my life... Hahaha.... $300!

nice congrats!!

Odysseus M Jones

[B...{r<°∆°>}--O--{<°∆°>k}...E]
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Feb 2, 2020
Im trying not to give too many details, but she took a job in a dying industry right out of college. She never planned on being here more than 2 years or so. Then, she was moving on to greener pastures.

We crossed paths while she was in the area working, and it's all history from there.

My plan now is to find a "side hustle" I can work on while working a full time job and taking care of a toddler and newborn.

I sold an old car and took the money and invested in a new laptop, some software and a camera to build high end virtual tours.

I've been working for free on the first few tours to build my confidence and portfolio, and I just got my first paid job of my life... Hahaha.... $300!!

My promise to myself was to make my first dollar for myself before the end of the year.

Maybe I'll double my money next year!! $600!! Haha...

I'm having fun though, adding value to local struggling small businesses, and it gives me a flicker of hope I can build this into something special.
Good to hear you've got something going to get you out of the rat race.

And the next time you feel down, remember it's all about mindset.

BDR

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Aug 9, 2021
Northeast
Hang in there, you're not the only one in your position. Your not alone. I used to work a lot of 12 hour night shifts when I was single. It was great overtime money, but maaaaan, 3 or 4am hits and its TOUGH making it til the sun comes up. My "wall" was always 4am, I feared it every night. Haha

There are so many people that work in my industry that have let YEARS slip away, breaking their backs on 12 hour night shifts, only to do it again and again and again.... Man.

Life's too short for that.

Best of luck. Stay safe out there.
I'm back at it tonight with 12 more hours ahead of me. I usually hit the wall at around 2-3. Fortunately I live about a 10 minute drive from work so no long commute to worry about falling asleep at the wheel on those long nights.

We work rotating shifts, 3 days, 3 off, 3 nights, 3 off... I doubt I need to tell you, but it's murder on your sleeping patterns.

This is my 3rd Plant I've worked at in this dying industry. The first one closed it's doors twice, leaving me looking for a job both times. Getting out has been long overdue...

I'm glad to hear you're making progress. Keep grinding. Hopefully that's your ticket out. Best of luck to you!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...