The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Free service for you ! Yes 0 $

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
You've got guts, OP.

People have been trolling you and cutting you down when you're putting yourself out there, implying that you're not offering any sort of value. "Oh, Google can do it just as good as you" and "Your information is incorrect".

You've learned a powerful lesson: when you put yourself out there, you're gonna get criticized. You've handled it extremely well. And you seem to understand the criticisms people are throwing at you.

Last year, around this time, I offered a FREE service to INSIDERS: a free Wordpress landing page. I got like 8 requests, delivered 3 (the other 5 didn't follow up), and only one kept what I delivered. My last 'customer' didn't get his in time and ended up paying for someone else to do a more legit one (I still apologize, by the way). I was planning on using it as a tripwire to my other services.

I learned a few things:

1. Scarcity works. I said 'first 3 get it' and within 45 minutes, 3 people PMed me.
2. FREE isn't always BEST. I should have charged $20 or something small (and honestly, I should have paid for an ad if I were to do this). Even if the money is small, it's still making them invested in what's going on.
3. People will still look a gift horse in the mouth. I didn't evade criticism just because I gave it away for free.

My advice: stop offering this service for free right now. People will still PM you, some of whom are willing to pay.

Rep+ for having some balls, even though it amounted to nothing except a life lesson.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

shubham525

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Jul 16, 2015
India
Alright, I've got one for you.

Can you find me a database of all medications available for sale in Australia, including basic descriptions (one or two sentences is fine) and pictures of them in a consistent format (e.g. picture of one pill, picture of liquid in medicine cup etc.)?

I'll also need the same for the US and the UK... but that can come later. Thanks.

Hey mr. b , have a look at this, I liked this database best - http://www.nps.org.au/medicines
You've got guts, OP.

People have been trolling you and cutting you down when you're putting yourself out there, implying that you're not offering any sort of value. "Oh, Google can do it just as good as you" and "Your information is incorrect".

You've learned a powerful lesson: when you put yourself out there, you're gonna get criticized. You've handled it extremely well. And you seem to understand the criticisms people are throwing at you.

Last year, around this time, I offered a FREE service to INSIDERS: a free Wordpress landing page. I got like 8 requests, delivered 3 (the other 5 didn't follow up), and only one kept what I delivered. My last 'customer' didn't get his in time and ended up paying for someone else to do a more legit one (I still apologize, by the way). I was planning on using it as a tripwire to my other services.

I learned a few things:

1. Scarcity works. I said 'first 3 get it' and within 45 minutes, 3 people PMed me.
2. FREE isn't always BEST. I should have charged $20 or something small (and honestly, I should have paid for an ad if I were to do this). Even if the money is small, it's still making them invested in what's going on.
3. People will still look a gift horse in the mouth. I didn't evade criticism just because I gave it away for free.

My advice: stop offering this service for free right now. People will still PM you, some of whom are willing to pay.

Rep+ for having some balls, even though it amounted to nothing except a life lesson.

Thanks for your precious support J. ( I appreciate rep pts , thanks )
I truly understand all three points.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I like your style OP.

I will keep you in mind the next time I need some (paid) research done. Can you PM me your Skype and/or email address please?

jason91

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
May 15, 2015
USA
Hey mr. b , have a look at this, I liked this database best - http://www.nps.org.au/medicines

Thanks for your precious support J. ( I appreciate rep pts , thanks )
I truly understand all three points.
AHEM* how much longer until the document is finished? :)

Some feedback regarding your thread:
I think you did a great job posting this on the forum. Many starter companies offer free services or free trials to get customers jumping into the funnel.

I think the negative criticisms here are mostly to let you know that you can't make EVERYTHING free. And free can sometimes lower perceived value.

However, when you're starting a company - no matter how much value perception you put around your offer, most people won't pay you 1,000 without searching your name. If there's no proof to your worth, they will not purchase. So it's a good thing you're offering something for free right now.

Even MailCheat(Chimp) a pretty big company offers a free basic account. Zopim offers free basic livechat. Many 1-800 number companies offer free 30 day trial. Nothing wrong with giving some things free - In today's world it's an important part of getting more potential clients / customers using your company.

As for what you're doing, when you get a good amount of positive feedback, you can use it to show people when you start charging for jobs. Or, say the next time someone needs another write-up, you can say it's no longer free, and charge a fair price for it.

Now the key here is to make sure you deliver an EXCELLENT product even at a free price.

shubham525

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Jul 16, 2015
India
AHEM* how much longer until the document is finished? :)

Some feedback regarding your thread:
I think you did a great job posting this on the forum. Many starter companies offer free services or free trials to get customers jumping into the funnel.

I think the negative criticisms here are mostly to let you know that you can't make EVERYTHING free. And free can sometimes lower perceived value.

However, when you're starting a company - no matter how much value perception you put around your offer, most people won't pay you 1,000 without searching your name. If there's no proof to your worth, they will not purchase. So it's a good thing you're offering something for free right now.

Even MailCheat(Chimp) a pretty big company offers a free basic account. Zopim offers free basic livechat. Many 1-800 number companies offer free 30 day trial. Nothing wrong with giving some things free - In today's world it's an important part of getting more potential clients / customers using your company.

As for what you're doing, when you get a good amount of positive feedback, you can use it to show people when you start charging for jobs. Or, say the next time someone needs another write-up, you can say it's no longer free, and charge a fair price for it.

Now the key here is to make sure you deliver an EXCELLENT product even at a free price.

Thanks I read it very carefully.Thanks, its 10 pm here , document will be done by morning.

shubham525

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Jul 16, 2015
India
I'm going to be using the OP on a paid basis. I spoke with him via Whatsapp and he was polite/presents himself well. I will keep you guys posted and I'm all about helping him grow his business if he does a good job.
Thanks a lot Ryan, I will do my best .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smarty

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jan 2, 2013
I am just providing free honest research service as long as I find it ok and have time.
Whats the issue ?

I'm not against you at all although I may have come off as combative and I like your proactive attitude. My argument is just about the $0 service which in my experience didn't work as well as it theoretically should. People either ignored it, didn't appreciate it as much as to take action on it, or moved on with someone else who was cheap but not free.

I have many clients and most of them say they just want someone who is honest, reliable, precise, has good communication and who will do the work without much supervision. Offer that and people will be all over you - this is my seductive formula ;)

Anyways learn from the experience, keep your good attitude and you should be fine. I see some people in this thread already are having the butterflies about you :smuggy:

shubham525

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Jul 16, 2015
India
I'm not against you at all although I may have come off as combative and I like your proactive attitude. My argument is just about the $0 service which in my experience didn't work as well as it theoretically should. People either ignored it, didn't appreciate it as much as to take action on it, or moved on with someone else who was cheap but not free.

I have many clients and most of them say they just want someone who is honest, reliable, precise, has good communication and who will do the work without much supervision. Offer that and people will be all over you - this is my seductive formula ;)

Anyways learn from the experience, keep your good attitude and you should be fine. I see some people in this thread already are having the butterflies about you :smuggy:
I totally agree with you smarty , free services can't be longterm .They are just for building good rapport. Liked your seductive formula ;)

BlakeIC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jan 9, 2014
Not Washington
OP has guts.

OP, what is the best routine for an absolute beginner to weight-lifting, and why? Will rep-transfer $100 for an elaborate research.
are you calling yourself a beginner? I can give an answer off the top of my head right now

HAL

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Jul 23, 2015
This thread reminds me of this thing I used to do. I would go put gas in my car, then drive about 40 minutes to this office. I would answer phones, do whatever computer tasks need to be done, pick up lunch for people. The best part is, I did all of this for free. It was called an internship.

I wish I had made better use of my time and money.

shubham525

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Jul 16, 2015
India
This was my intro when I joined this forum on 16th of July.

"I am shubham from India 20 years (young).Its been a week on fastlane ,have read mj's book. Struggling and learning times right now.I am doing b.tech (engineering) from a bad college.Here private college are in abundance with no value.Job will be poor.I need to work myself if i want reach any heights ,my friends have not realized that yet and i am almost alone in my venture.I have joined amazonaffiliate program for some side earnings.There is no concept like part time job here,full time employees are available for low wages.I have started a blog (shubham525.wordpress.com).Currently living with parents,getting all knowledge i can through internet,books.Accumulating capital to trading(future/options) in stocks one of my close friend has started to earn in that.Aim is to reach the highest level possible.Just looking for a escape."

I have never heard about words like "upwork" or "copywriting" till then, Even I got to know about "affiliate marketing " from here only.
Many good people now genuinely support here ( thanks @Ryan D. and all ).
Now I am just working upward. Learning and doing what I can .
@Grzegorz Gołda helped me know about Teesprings
@Glacier - for affiliate marketing.
But I know one thing , that I am gonna acheive what I want . No matter what happens.

I know I haven' t started a real business yet , but do keep in mind all problem people face and keep analysing new things. How to solve this or make life easy.
There is one gadget I have thought of. :)

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
This was my intro when I joined this forum on 16th of July.

"I am shubham from India 20 years (young).Its been a week on fastlane ,have read mj's book. Struggling and learning times right now.I am doing b.tech (engineering) from a bad college.Here private college are in abundance with no value.Job will be poor.I need to work myself if i want reach any heights ,my friends have not realized that yet and i am almost alone in my venture.I have joined amazonaffiliate program for some side earnings.There is no concept like part time job here,full time employees are available for low wages.I have started a blog (shubham525.wordpress.com).Currently living with parents,getting all knowledge i can through internet,books.Accumulating capital to trading(future/options) in stocks one of my close friend has started to earn in that.Aim is to reach the highest level possible.Just looking for a escape."

I have never heard about words like "upwork" or "copywriting" till then, Even I got to know about "affiliate marketing " from here only.
Many good people now genuinely support here ( thanks @Ryan D. and all ).
Now I am just working upward. Learning and doing what I can .
@Grzegorz Gołda helped me know about Teesprings
@Glacier - for affiliate marketing.
But I know one thing , that I am gonna acheive what I want . No matter what happens.

I know I haven' t started a real business yet , but do keep in mind all problem people face and keep analysing new things. How to solve this or make life easy.
There is one gadget I have thought of. :)

We're all surrounded by blind people nonstop everyday after day after day after day... that's what makes this place so beautiful :) we're not alone in the world.

shubham525

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Jul 16, 2015
India
Create a heat map of North American metal fabrication shops with data less than 10 years old.
Overlay a dot map of the top 10 technical schools in North America.

Create a heat map of North American engineering consulting firms with data less than 10 years old.
Overlay a dot map of the top 50 engineering schools in North America.

PM me with links and references.
Please have a look ZCP, its a map of all metal fabricators in North America https://www.google.co.in/maps/searc...+North+america/@39.4878251,-102.9932321,4.75z

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
You are 1/4 of the way through a past due project.

shubham525

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Jul 16, 2015
India
You are 1/4 of the way through a past due project.
Yes I understand , working on it now. Is this map ok as a heat map ?

jason91

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
May 15, 2015
USA
Honest Review:

Now since the OP offered a free service, I conducted a test. Hopefully this gives him valuable info on where he can improve.

Here was my message to him:
"Hi shubham - following Vigilante's post on OODA loop, I'd like you to research and write out a word document about OODA loop.

Can you please include these main points in your own words:

OODA Step by Step Approach
How to Raise Situational Awareness
A simplified version of the OODA diagram found on wikipedia
Public Crime statistics in the US in 2015 (Must have source link - FBI, etc.)

Extra:

Other methods similar to OODA loop (Basic explanation of a few)"

I pretty much based it off how easy the document is understood vs. the OODA thread.

Here is my analysis:

The Good
- OP is willing to attempt things
- OP has a customer centric personality
- OP communicates easily

The Bad

- Needs training in writing
- Needs to write more original content
- Did not deliver on-time, asked for deadline extension
- Confusing structure, jumps here and there without proper guidance
- Typos
- General readability is not high
- Caused me to skip paragraphs and not want to read

Overall: 2/5 stars
The article he wrote does not deliver proper content or structure. I currently would not re-use the free service, due to this experience.

However, I believe with proper training and experience OP can be a great freelancer.

Last edited by a moderator:

shubham525

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Jul 16, 2015
India
Honest Review:

Now since the OP offered a free service, I conducted a test. Hopefully this gives him valuable info on where he can improve.

Here was my message to him:
"Hi shubham - following Vigilante's post on OODA loop, I'd like you to research and write out a word document about OODA loop.

Can you please include these main points in your own words:

OODA Step by Step Approach
How to Raise Situational Awareness
A simplified version of the OODA diagram found on wikipedia
Public Crime statistics in the US in 2015 (Must have source link - FBI, etc.)

Extra:

Other methods similar to OODA loop (Basic explanation of a few)"

I pretty much based it off how easy the document is understood vs. the OODA thread.

Here is my analysis:

The Good
- OP is willing to attempt things
- OP has a customer centric personality
- OP communicates easily

The Bad

- Needs training in writing
- Needs to write more original content
- Did not deliver on-time, asked for deadline extension
- Confusing structure, jumps here and there without proper guidance
- Typos
- General readability is not high
- Caused me to skip paragraphs and not want to read

Overall: 2/5 stars
The article he wrote does not deliver proper content or structure. I currently would not re-use the free service, due to this experience.

However, I believe with proper training and experience OP can be a great freelancer.
Thank you for feedback jason. I will improve.

Last edited by a moderator:

shubham525

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Jul 16, 2015
India
@shubham525 A lot of respect for your attitude!

Everyone else who said nothing valuable, give him useful advice and stop shitting on him for no reason.
I truly appreciate your support sija1 , thanks a ton.

Aaron237

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Aug 31, 2015
Ok I have a research project. Let me know what industries have the highest demand to supply ratios... and which have the lowest.

Also I'm a big research nerd. Do you ever do R coding or statistical analysis? Your offer is very broad, perhaps selecting a specialty niche within "research" would help.

Last edited:

Silverhawk851

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
482%
Sep 22, 2012
Toronto/Traveling
Takes big balls for someone to offer their services for free,
then get burned and rejected when they put their best forward,
and yet still continue to take the feedback objectively and move forward.

Esp as a younger guy.

OP is good in my books, he gotz the hustle.
REP+++

PM'd, if I can help with anything let me know

P.s great job with the idea of providing value free of service first,
better than 99% that join and post the "Guys, I need to make a million by 2.5 weeks, tell me how"

juggler619

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
May 25, 2015
Abu Dhabi
@shubham525

Hey, Good going , Taking actions beats everything.

118599-zach-galifianakis-thumbs-up-gi-ipxl.gif

Cheers!

Last edited:

shubham525

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Jul 16, 2015
India
@shubham525

Hey, Good going , Taking actions beats everything. Sometimes you gotta take a leap of faith.

118599-zach-galifianakis-thumbs-up-gi-ipxl.gif

Since your from INDIA with a population of above 1.2 billion . I'm sure using your "researching powers" you could locate a "need" to solve a problem for 1.2 billion people and then move on from there using TMF and this forum as your guide.

"A problem isn't considered worthy unless it could solve a problem for a BILLION people."

Cheers!
Yeah I do keep brainstorming on finding a solution which I can apply to a problem.
Thanks for support.

croman

not a humanoid(wage-slave)
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Aug 23, 2013
Steel Town Canada
So many negative people....

human nature at its best.....

"thing called Google?"...etc etc??? Guys cmon....

Give the kid a list, save yourself hours of YOUR OWN TIME.

Maybe you save a bunch of time?? Maybe what he comes back with isnt perfect? Ok,,...drop him a few lines,....takes a few minutes?.....he improves/fine tunes his work .....now save another block of time for yourself??.

Critics man. This guy could save me 30 hours of tedious bullshit work for free...terrible isnt it?

Anyhow, OP......

good job.

I would like to send you a small job.

I need a list of Canadian Steel fabricators to produce my Amusesment Park Attraction. The list starting from my province and working its way outward.

Fabricator needs to be able to handle fabricating my unit from A-Z....includes on-site paint shop too. I will give details but below are just a few.

Must be able to handle producing my attraction in a 6 month time frame as needed by my potential customers(large size company capable of big and small jobs).

Needs to be able to create as little as one unit to as many as 20+ units within a six month period depending on orders....

Fabricators must have 20+ employees.

I need the info in an easy to read format with links readily available

I will give more details via pm if you accept the job.

OK, so this may save me at least a full day or more of tedious work.

Ok,

Next job, I need stainless steel trolleys 1/4 ton for my attraction

Next job, I need full body harnesses. Details to follow

Next job, I need plastic mould companies capable of producing devil tails for attraction

Next job, I need list of highwire rope fabricators and a comparision in pricing

Next job, I need etc etc etc......

ALL THIS WILL SAVE ME A TON OF TIME....Can this FREE service help you too??

DOESNT HAVE TO BE perfect, i can further advise if something that the OP has sent me is not up to par....

But bottom line is he would save me probably close to 40 hrs of work that i can use elsewhere....

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.