The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

Add a pro tier to a reasonably popular free service

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

benhowdle

New Contributor
Jul 4, 2020
UK
First-time poster, apologies if this is the wrong forum!

I built and run Reqres - A hosted REST-API ready to respond to your AJAX requests Reqres - a free tool for developers. It receives millions of requests a month (the devs using the tool), and the homepage itself gets 20-30k unique visitors a month.

I run ads on the homepage which generates $200-300/month.

I'm looking to add a Pro tier to the service to start generating monthly income (through subscriptions) from it. I have a mailing list of ~200 people who clicked "I'm interested in the Pro tier" button, and sent them a survey to try and dig into exactly what devs would want from a Pro tier. I got 4 responses back.

What would you do to find out what people want from a Pro tier? Would you even add a Pro tier? How would you monetize this free service?

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Reactions: Kid
OP
OP
benhowdle

benhowdle

New Contributor
Jul 4, 2020
UK
Reactions: Kid

drahz

Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jul 24, 2019
It looks like an alternative to JSONPlaceholder, they are not monetized only sponsorship.

You can try to limit the number of requests per IP and then force them to go pro. But you are also risking that they will move to a different free service.

Kid

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
Mar 1, 2016
you say that, but I offer that as an advertising option. One company trialled it and weren’t happy enough with the CPA from each click, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ seems worth exploring
I meant it as a joke but something diff came to mind - what if test content itself would be somewhat endorsed - like for user account name would be -
"Johnny B.- XYZ company happy customer"
or some text ad in avatar.

This method was explored by Unsplash.com, by giving away pictures that included something that brands paid for.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE Fox's Web Design Guide: Earn $100K this year (Yes, 2020!) and Go Fastlane
How do I sell to a different country with an accent? And a foreign number. Cold e-mails don't...
MARKETPLACE Kill Bigger Incubator
Hey @Cruiser I just shot you a reply! Amazing product BTW!
MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
Well, we made it halfway through the year. Don't know what the rest'll bring, but it's gonna be...
FEATURED! Introducing... WEALTH EXPO$ED, A Short Story By MJ DeMarco
Not really a teaser but it does employ a fictional story, so that is similiar. This upcoming...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Dropping a quick note in here to say... if you are on TFL, you are part of an elite group of...

Forum Sponsor

sponsor

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom