The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Dressing For Success... Stop looking like a fool.

Topics relating to managing people and relationships

CDNY

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Jun 18, 2018
New York
Really? Have you read anything that he has posted? It is not gibberish.

Your opinion changes nothing about his reality. If you think it is BS just don't listen and move on. Or try listening to what he (and others with Legendary status) have to say. You might learn something.

A bit defensive, eh? This is a business and entrepreneurship forum. If someone is going to give style advice here it only makes sense to see how they personally dress.
Enough do.

Eh, just seems silly. Would you take fitness advice from someone you’ve never seen just because they sound knowledgeable?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

WJS

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
342%
Dec 3, 2017
MY
A bit defensive, eh? This is a business and entrepreneurship forum. If someone is going to give style advice here it only makes sense to see how they personally dress.

Eh, just seems silly. Would you take fitness advice from someone you’ve never seen just because they sound knowledgeable?

Maybe you should stop posting further for the time being, and take the time to read the Gold and Notable threads. The way you comment makes you look foolish. When I first joined the forum, I didn't even make my first post until I have a general idea of how this forum works, the mentality behind it, what is encouraged and what is frowned upon.

Granted, I've never met any of the Fastlane Forum members, but there are numerous meetups throughout the year, in various locations, and every year around February there is a Fastlane summit as well, where people gather and learn from each other.

So this is not a forum where no one knows no one, and you need to vet through every single thing that is posted. Of course there are lots of opportunists lurking around trying to take advantage of others, but they are usually quickly exposed and are gone.

You do need to be careful about taking advice from strangers from internet, but at least do a bit of homework first so you don't stick out like a sore thumb.

Last edited:

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
I take it you are in Calgary based on your comment. If you notice, these people taking public transit are not dressed nice. They wear the bare minimum in regard to dress shirt, pants and shoes. While in that environment I always wore slightly nicer dress shirts that fit me properly, that made me stand out in a good way. 90% of the people dress in raggy "dress" clothes.

The ones who only wear what is required and no more are the ones you are talking about. The employees are not who we should be after. We need to be talking to decision makes and those with influence.

sure i guess these are the people im looking at, my point is it shouldn't matter what you dress like. true fastlane is not giving a ****

my previous boss that made a few bucks above minimum wage wore one of the slickest suits you could see on the market, what did he drive? nothing, he rode the sky train .

(and yes im in calgary right now)

should you be a slob and not shower for a week wearing Cheetos stained shirts and shorts? no, but dressing up like you are some hot shot is ridiculous imo, to each theyre own i guess, but i cant take someone that wears a suit seriously a majority of the time.

yes i am aware people like mark cuban and other bajillionaires wear fancy stuff, but the wealthy people ive encountered in my life look like average bums, never in a million years would you think they have money, sometimes aswell when you see theyre cars. that is until you see theyre house..

enough gossip girl, carry on ladies and gentleman

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
@sparechange you can't even take the time to hit shift at the start of your sentences, or when using "I". I think that says a LOT about you.

I don't think you comprehend the scale of the deals we are going after. These are not some internet sales, or product sales. If the business will not scale to 8+ figures in a few years WE DON'T GO AFTER THEM. These are different people, and you interact accordingly with them. If you want to wear cheeto stained clothes then go ahead, this is not the thread that you need to bother yourself with.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
ill be sure to wear a cheeto stained shirt saying I LOVE BOOBS as mentioned above when i sell to my next client

cheers m8 =)

rpeck90

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
Nov 26, 2016
United Kingdom
Do you have any tips/advice for bespoke suits & shirts? I don't know any of the insights etc..

i just did 2 sales direct to client in downtown business district, wearing jeans and a tshirt. wearing a suit makes you a massive douche bag imo. or you need to beg investors for $.

poor people usually dress up to look professional, but to me they just look like slaves, its hilarious to see these people jam packed side to side on a train (or better yet a bus!) riding public transit looking all fancy.

being from vancouver ive been surrounded by wealth all the time and its always the lower class that dress up and the insanely rich that look average. just my thoughts

no thanks. i prefer looking like a fool.

In regards some of the posts about looking like a fool, the way I see it is that it's part of a hidden "conversation" you have with people before you engage with them. If you genuinely want to succeed, and are willing to do whatever it takes to get there, I think dressing with a modicum of professionalism is a prerequisite.

Maybe it's not for everyone (drug dealers would look out of place in a suit) - but for people managing assets - dealing with banks/investors/clients who may wish to part with $100,000's - dressing like you have considered the impression you put across is important.

That's only my take - I think everyone has a different perspective depending on the environment in which they work. I've found *many* people actually don't want to deal with $100,000 deals - they are in it for the journey and put that across with the perceived nonchalance of their dress code. In respect to @Kak, if he's someone who deals with C-Level (which requires dressing to impress)... I would take what he mentions in regard to moving in that world. If you're a hot-shot graphic designer, then - yes - wearing a suit would make you a douchebag (in that world).

--

I took this several years ago, legit or nah?

ef40dc95112092dad605185c0554d08c.jpg

c4n

Full throttle
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
May 30, 2017
but dressing up like you are some hot shot is ridiculous imo

It helps if you actually read posts from @Kak and others:

Agreed about "fancy" nothing flashy ever. You don't want to draw attention to your clothes EVER. You want clothes to basically be part of you and your leadership. To support your goals Just part of the bigger picture.

Thank you for the thread. I have to admit I am a sloppy dresser most of the time.

I had a video call with my largest customer today. Last time I did that I was wearing a t-shirt, but after reading all this I've put on a nice shirt this time.

I don't know if it's all in my head, but the energy was great and I killed it. Maybe there is something to it...

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Do you have any tips/advice for bespoke suits & shirts? I don't know any of the insights etc..

I actually don't. I have never had a truly bespoke suit or shirt made. MTM is as far as it has gone for me. Most of my stuff is off the rack and tailored a bit. Off the rack does pretty well with my shape.

In the price range I was working in. 1500 or less, MTM got me a brand name label, a timeless design, and an establishment I could trust. For 1500, options are very limited with bespoke. One day I will get an amazing bespoke suit from Kiton, Brioni, or Oxxford, but I want to do it right. I have 20-30 pounds to lose before I would want to.

For those that don't know... A bespoke suit is truly made for you. You will be fit several times and meet the person doing the work. Every single detail is up to you.

A MTM suit or made to measure, uses an existing pattern, adjusts a few numbers in the making of your suit and one final fitting. You can decide on pockets, lapels, liners, buttons, but not overall shape. They send off for these with your measurements. Don't be fooled because they use the word CUSTOM and BESPOKE to describe this all the time and, though it's an excellent option and better than 95 percent of men's suits, it's not bespoke.

My next suit will be a MTM Hickey Freeman or MTM Southwick.

Last edited:

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas

I’d say this is a pretty professional look for a casual business dinner or drinks. I can only speak as an observer, because I don't dress like that, but I would say it achieves the professional goal in a casual setting.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
What do you think about jeans with a shirt and blazer (and tie?) for a web design/online marketing meeting?

I live in Canada.

Hell yeah. Im sure you will be very professional. Tuck the shirt in, wear a belt that matches your shoes. You could even probably lose the tie.

Veloce Grey

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Jun 24, 2014
This reminds me, I should get dressed. I'm invariably naked while reading this forum.

I was truly hoping to find MJ in this thread saying how much he loves wearing that tie I bought him. He probably hasn't even worn it yet. I knew I should have gotten him that Spongebob onesie instead.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I understand the concept of this thread and agree with the importance of dressing properly for each situation, BUT where are the pictures of some of your outfits @Kak?

I’m not trying to out you, but it seems silly to take style advice on a forum where barely anyone here even knows what you look/dress like.

Dozens of the highest-profile members here know him personally. Take his advice, or don't. He won't lose a seconds worth of sleep over it.

Last edited:

CDNY

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Jun 18, 2018
New York
Dozens of the highest-profile members here know him personally. Take his advice, or don't. He won't lose a seconds worth of sleep over it.

I don’t see why it’s so far fetched to want to see how the guy giving out style advice personally dresses.... isn’t that basic common sense?

Why would anyone lose sleep over a forum comment? LOL

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
Maybe he doesn't want photo's of his mug all over some random forum that anyone can sign up at?

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I don’t see why it’s so far fetched to want to see how the guy giving out style advice personally dresses.... isn’t that basic common sense?

Why would anyone lose sleep over a forum comment? LOL

Style advice? More like professionalism advice. This isn't queer eye for the straight guy a**hole.

I operate a business that requires professionalism, so I know how to present myself. I'm not even opposed to sharing my closet on video, but I don't owe you shit and I don't have to prove a damn thing. I am here helping people clean up their appearance for business... FOR FREE. I am not selling a 12 step book series on "style". I'm not charging for business coaching. I am helping out people that have CLEARLY appreciated this thread and might have learned a thing or two.

Other than that it is MY OPINION. I'm not holding myself out to be some style expert, just an observant business guy helping other business guys. I'll freely admit that. You're the only one that doesn't seem to get that. Still people are tuned in for some reason... I wonder why?

Last edited:

CDNY

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Jun 18, 2018
New York
No worries, @Kak! My apologies for disrupting your AMA thread. You took the time to do this and I should’ve been more open to your input. After thoroughly reading through this entire thread, I’ve already learned a bunch of different things I can do to dress better. Seriously, thank you so much!

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
Same goes for university. I have never been so disgusted seeing male peers coming in dressed in lazy slippers, dressed rather weakly in sleepy t-shirts, and looking as if they came to take a nap than attend a class (and yes, they do take naps in class!).

Have you seen uni students over here in SG before? In terms of sloppiness, we might be able to beat you Malaysians! LOL

Btw, wearing short-sleeve shirts with black pants seems to be a thing of the past (1970s - 1990s) where long sleeve shirts wasn't popular yet (especially in our region). It's mostly the older generation "uncles" who still do that.

Depends on the event you're going to, but my first thought upon seeing this is : British Schoolboy :rofl:

Duane

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
286%
Jul 23, 2015
Lakeland FL
No worries, @Kak! My apologies for disrupting your AMA thread. You took the time to do this and I should’ve been more open to your input. After thoroughly reading through this entire thread, I’ve already learned a bunch of different things I can do to dress better. Seriously, thank you so much!

There's something you don't ever see.

Rep+ for the growth.

AlexLegault

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Jun 6, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Hell yeah. Im sure you will be very professional. Tuck the shirt in, wear a belt that matches your shoes. You could even probably lose the tie.
Sweet, I ended up wearing that (minus the tie) and pants instead and the guy I met the other day basically closed himself (must be the clothes...) ;) lmao

On a serious note though, I'm sure it does make a big difference.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Sweet, I ended up wearing that (minus the tie) and pants instead and the guy I met the other day basically closed himself (must be the clothes...) ;) lmao

Your professionalism does at least some of the talking! Bad a$$ man! Congrats on closing!

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)

good job man! keep hustling hard

Veloman

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Feb 10, 2018
Austin
Every time I put on a suit for an interview I felt like a complete tool. I call it my bullshit suit. Especially when it's not winter and I'm sweating because of it.
My everyday attire is synthetic collared golf shirts and mesh shorts. My wife makes me put on real shorts when we go out. I can't stand pants if it's above 75 degrees. I am in central TX.

But I suppose if you spend most of your time in buildings where the AC is blasting it to 70 degrees, then a suit might not be so bad.

Honestly, this whole traditional appearance stuff, 'just because' doesn't sit well with me. Just because some old men decided this was the way you should look, doesn't mean I need to look that way. I ask 'what's the goal here?' Am I here to sell men's suits? No. Then why does society say I have to wear a suit? I understand the point of "playing the game". But I tend to question everything. Who's to say it can't be changed?
I rather do business with a party that meets my needs and isn't concerned about wearing cufflinks or a tie.

It's one thing to look decent and not shabby. But formal wear really needs an overhaul, particularly in hot climates.

rpeck90

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
Nov 26, 2016
United Kingdom
Every time I put on a suit for an interview I felt like a complete tool. I call it my bullshit suit. Especially when it's not winter and I'm sweating because of it.
My everyday attire is synthetic collared golf shirts and mesh shorts. My wife makes me put on real shorts when we go out. I can't stand pants if it's above 75 degrees. I am in central TX.

But I suppose if you spend most of your time in buildings where the AC is blasting it to 70 degrees, then a suit might not be so bad.

Honestly, this whole traditional appearance stuff, 'just because' doesn't sit well with me. Just because some old men decided this was the way you should look, doesn't mean I need to look that way. I ask 'what's the goal here?' Am I here to sell men's suits? No. Then why does society say I have to wear a suit? I understand the point of "playing the game". But I tend to question everything. Who's to say it can't be changed?
I rather do business with a party that meets my needs and isn't concerned about wearing cufflinks or a tie.

It's one thing to look decent and not shabby. But formal wear really needs an overhaul, particularly in hot climates.

View: https://youtu.be/S9UgoZi3lqo?t=234

"...even in the days of Rome, it was the sizzle the first Roman merchant used back then to sell his fancy togas to his men customers. He'd hold up the fancy toga and his only selling sentence was... it'll make you look senatorial"

Suits are what togas were to ancient Romans - you don't need one, but they denote authority & power.

This is important if you're dealing with larger amounts of money, personal data or some other important thing. Selling real estate, building rapport with fancy new clients and handling $100,000's of clients' money all require a suit IMO. Same with swanky offices + executive cars.

For everything said about Zuck, he suited up when on Capitol Hill.

The point is that you don't need one. There are many degrees of "smart" which can enhance your appearance. The key is getting into a position where you look respectable. Whether that means a full-on suit is up to you, or the circumstance. Modern business typically accepts a blazer/jacket with a shirt and "smart" trousers (which can include chinos if they're legit). Getting the jacket tailored and/or adding a pocket square will enhance the look drastically.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011

I get what you're saying, but ultimately whether we like it or not, that's how the game is played. You can use it to your advantage (given how many people don't care about their appearance, you can easily stand out just by wearing a well-fitting jacket) or rebel against it and reduce your odds of success whenever it's important to look professional.

I get noticeably different reactions when I'm shopping in a nice jacket and tie vs wearing my sweaty workout clothes. Wearing a simple dress shirt in a restaurant will make most waiters treat you differently than if you're wearing a loose t-shirt.

If I want to communicate a specific message ("I mean business"), I wear a shirt and a tie. Do I feel super comfortable in it? Not really (though after wearing it regularly for a certain period of my life I got used to it). Does it get the job done? Absolutely - particularly if you're young and people can treat you like an inexperienced teenager if you're wearing a t-shirt.

Even if you're against the traditional approach, compare these two images (both show business consultant Bedros Keuilian):

nOzej3L.jpg

Who radiates with power, business experience, and guaranteed results?

All things being equal, would you rather hire a business consultant in a v-neck and a baseball cap or in a suit? No matter what you think about wearing a suit, I'm pretty sure that you're more attracted toward the second guy.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I had a video call with my largest customer today. Last time I did that I was wearing a t-shirt, but after reading all this I've put on a nice shirt this time.

I don't know if it's all in my head, but the energy was great and I killed it. Maybe there is something to it...
James Schramko talks about when he was selling high end AMG Mercedes. The wife of a prospect took him aside and told him to get a better tie. He went home a bit shaken but went out and got the best tie he could. He then felt a million dollars and his sales went up.

One of my neighbors cycled for Ireland at the Olympics. He told me he was thinking of creating a subscription box of fresh white socks for cyclists. Huh? Then he told me how some of the top guys pull on a pair of brand new socks before every training session and every race. It makes them feel a million dollars. So in their world a new pair of white socks is a performance enhancing aid.

Last week I was wandering around town running errands in shorts and trainers/sneakers/runners. I popped into a cafe to grab food and check in on work on my phone. I saw two previous clients talking to each other in the corner. I slipped into a booth before they saw me. If I’d even just been wearing smart jeans with my smart runners then I’d have cheerfully said hello and bid them good day.

Some of it’s in your own head, but what you believe affects how you feel and act.

When I was an IT consultant going onto client sites where everyone wore dress trousers and a shirt then I would indeed dress one level smarter. I’d not wear a tie, but I’d wear a suit jacket. I’d take it off after half an hour and muck in with the rest of the team.

I’m a consultant and I’ve even overheard managers talking to directors on the phone saying “Yes, he’s here. He’s wearing a suit.”

But I have to work with the techies so I can’t look like a salesman or project manager who doesn’t know his arse from his elbow. I also can’t make them look bad. Make everyone look good, especially whoever pays your invoices, and good things happen.

If the biggest PR agency in Dublin asks me in to help pitch to their potential new enterprise client then I’m not turning up in runners and shorts. That would be disrespectful to both the end client and my contact in the PR agency that’s put their neck out and vouched for me.

Will I wear a suit? I might... but without a tie. I want to look like someone who can do the work as well as talk a good talk. I might even dress in smart jeans and shoes with a nicely ironed polo shirt.

It’s down to who I’m meeting, why I’m meeting them, what I want them to think about me, and how I want to feel.

It’s also about showing respect to whoever you’re meeting. Often it’s the thought that counts. They can tell you’ve made an effort, and that’s a brownie point.

Wearing unironed or dirty clothes is just being a slob. I’m taking the kids to hurling training this morning. I’m wearing shorts, runners, and a t-shirt. As will everyone else. I’m sure some will be business owners etc. This isn’t an occasion to dress to impress, but I’m not turning up like I’ve just dived out of bed. (A bed that I made btw.)

I’m an adult. I’ll wear what I want to wear, and what I want to wear are clothes that show my respect for others, and for myself.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I get what you're saying, but ultimately whether we like it or not, that's how the game is played. You can use it to your advantage (given how many people don't care about their appearance, you can easily stand out just by wearing a well-fitting jacket) or rebel against it and reduce your odds of success whenever it's important to look professional.

I get noticeably different reactions when I'm shopping in a nice jacket and tie vs wearing my sweaty workout clothes. Wearing a simple dress shirt in a restaurant will make most waiters treat you differently than if you're wearing a loose t-shirt.

If I want to communicate a specific message ("I mean business"), I wear a shirt and a tie. Do I feel super comfortable in it? Not really (though after wearing it regularly for a certain period of my life I got used to it). Does it get the job done? Absolutely - particularly if you're young and people can treat you like an inexperienced teenager if you're wearing a t-shirt.

Even if you're against the traditional approach, compare these two images (both show business consultant Bedros Keuilian):

nOzej3L.jpg

Who radiates with power, business experience, and guaranteed results?

All things being equal, would you rather hire a business consultant in a v-neck and a baseball cap or in a suit? No matter what you think about wearing a suit, I'm pretty sure that you're more attracted toward the second guy.

I remember walking into a store one time ready to drop $10,000 in cash on what I was looking for. I was wearing ripped up jeans and a t-shirt. The salespeople literally looked right past me and pretended like I wasn't there. I can almost guarantee you had I walked in with a shirt and tie on they would have been hovering around me and getting me bottles of water while I browsed. If my memory serves this was in a consumer electronics Big Box store but you will see it most notably in car dealers and jewelry stores.

This is brilliantly captured in the movie Pretty Woman when Julia Roberts is shopping for dresses.

AlexLegault

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Jun 6, 2017
Ontario, Canada

good job man! keep hustling hard
Thanks man will do!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.