The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  • Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs who are earning their freedom and living their dream.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane) Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block.

FEATURED! Dressing For Success... Stop looking like a fool.

404profound

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Aug 27, 2017
Desert of Desertion
You can pick up a pair of Allen Edmonds under $200, they've got clearance sales all the time, including right now on their website, I saw some even in the $100 range.
Not sure if anyone mentioned this about Allen Edmonds, but they also carry large sizes (up to 15 3E I believe). They are my go-to for business formal shoes.

Become a Fastlane INSIDER to view the forum ad free.

Arun Siva

aspiring 大君 of the bourgeoisie
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Aug 31, 2016
NORD-TRONDELAG
smythebates.com
. wearing a suit makes you a massive douche bag imo. or you need to beg investors for $.

poor people usually dress up to look professional, but to me they just look like slaves, its hilarious to see these people jam packed side to side on a train (or better yet a bus!) riding public transit looking all fancy.
this depends on the industry. Maybe in IT or tech fields looking average is ok, however in many other fields dealing with extensive travel overseas, unfortunately jeans are frowned upon ruthlessly.

YoungPadawan

Miles to go before I sleep
Speedway Pass
Nov 7, 2015

Dami-B

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jan 25, 2015
Lagos, Nigeria
What do you think of groomed facial hair stubble (like designer facial hair stubble) for professional meetings instead of clean shaven? Do you think people would it's inappropriate or would it be out of place?

I have a baby face when I shave.
I remember vaguely in the book Shoe Dog by Phil Knight, Phil would talk about how his founding team members would have all different kinds of hairstyles and long beards, but he couldn't have one because he always had to negotiate with the bankers for loan extensions, and capital infusion into Nike, so he always had to keep a clean shave and short hair, and dress professionally.

Sheens

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Jan 13, 2018
USA
Burberrys' 42L Navy Blue Serge Blazer/Jacket - Gold & Silver Buttons - $1,595.00 | eBay

I thought of this thread when I came across this on ebay for anyone looking for another example of a nice looking sport coat without spending a crazy amount of money or full price on a designer. Buy It Now price $99.95, not sure what shipping was on it.

I would also highly suggest double checking your measurements or having a professional do it for you. But if you end up making your own "Fat guy in a little coat" video (Chris Farley from Tommy Boy) could catch it on video for us!
**absolutely just kidding about making the video, we have all purchased incorrect sizes before. I am strong proponent of dressing for success and thanks for all of your time in this thread Kak!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYB3Fx0a8-4

Last edited:

jmusic

Meep.
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Read Millionaire Fastlane
Mar 4, 2015
Lots of good advice on here. I've started to up my suit game after stumbling on Real Men Real Style on YouTube. I had a 3 piece light gray wool suit made when I was in Bahrain, and while the quality is nice, the trousers fit too tight in the seat (I lift so that may be why), and there's no extra fabric to get it taken out. Second suit purchase is a navy 2 piece MTM at a local clothier. Super 160's wool, and the fit is exceptional.

Regarding watches & belts, I always follow this rule: Always match leathers, and always match metals (only allowable exception is a wedding ring). In this regard it helps to have a preference. For me it's dark brown leather and silver metals. The brown leather goes with any color except black (which as mentioned above is best to avoid anyway), and looks GREAT with jeans.

As far as dressing to impress others, I prefer to dress to impress myself. When I really dress up, *I* feel like a million bucks, and that's the only thing that matters to me!

For me, it's the most uncomfortable attire, hands down.
Painful? No.
Aggravating, distracting and borderline claustrophobic? Yes.
I feel the same about just a buttoned up collared shirt.
If a collared shirt feels claustrophobic, it's likely not sized correctly. With off the rack shirts, the collar size also determines the waistline. I'm in between 16.5 and 17, and had to go with a 17 because the 16.5 was almost choking me when I bought a Brooks brothers shirt, but that thing has yards of extra fabric around the midsection. I need to get that one taken in... When I had a shirt MTM at the same clothier, I was able to get a 16.75 collar. Fits perfectly, and not claustrophobic at all.

Regarding matching colors: Jacket and pants need to match EXACTLY (paired suit), or else don't match them at all (compliment instead). In fact, whenever you have your suit cleaned, always send the entire suit to the cleaners whether you've worn all parts of it or not.

Arun Siva

Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Aug 31, 2016
NORD-TRONDELAG
smythebates.com
i must say as a heavily tattooed man of muscular build, the early stages of my career were horrific due to assumptions and unfair and erroneous misjudgments. I had no other choice but to dress up and dress overly in order to be taken seriously at many firms. However it worked for me and unfortunately in the realms of financing/ senior management/ executive purchasing firms and manufacturing firms, I really wish i could go in with something less then a 3 piece suit, but like my rich uncle said, "theres a lot of bastards out here" and we have to impress every angle any way possible. Having a great personality is one thing, but nowadays having the complete arsenal is ever so important. Believe me it sucks, not everyone is in IT/software were we can mark zuckerburg or steve jobs (wearing simple clothes nonchalant casual as F*ck) but unfortunately the old timers that have a firm grasp of many industries still adhere to the clothing standards of yesteryear.

shubham525

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Jul 16, 2015
India
It has come to my attention that few people give this enough thought.

A common theme of my posts is thinking big and leadership. Both of these REQUIRE interaction with other people. Sure you can build some onepreneur super outsourced company and make good money... But the VAST majority of the extremely wealthy got that way by making strategic deals, establishing influence and leading others.

Which brings me to LOOKING THE PART. It's popular, and often considered a badge of honor, in entrepreneurial circles to not own a suit, to almost intentionally dress like sh*t and not give a f*ck. To that, I ask, why? To what end?

I have learned how to dress properly when interacting with influential politicians and high-level C suite executives of very large companies. I have learned how to dress properly when I have to approach the lower offices with hourly workers. From formal meetings to business lunches, I have done it all. To say looking professional in every single interaction pertaining to your business is important would be an understatement.

Now, I'm no expert, but I am observant and have years of experience meeting people in person. There is no excuse not to look your best and present like someone who can back up the talk. It also doesn't have to be expensive.

Ask me anything.
Very well said , dressing accordingly for particular occasions can open a lot of doors.

Kak

Capitalist Swine
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jan 23, 2011
For those of you that haven’t started this journey, and might be on a tighter budget... I can recommend JC Penny’s Stafford brand... They make a pretty good product at a bang up price.

I own a couple of sport coats from Stafford. Nobody, including myself, knows the difference between a $150 sport coat and a $400 one. Now, the really high end stuff $1200-1500+, there is a noticeable difference.

Stay away from solid colors from the cheap companies.

I’m a bit of an extremist, as long as I’m buying less than absolute perfection, I might as well get 3 of the cheapest I can find that still look nice.

Last edited:

Arun Siva

Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Aug 31, 2016
NORD-TRONDELAG
smythebates.com
I own a couple of sport coats from Stafford. Nobody, including myself, knows the difference between a $150 sport coat and a $400 one. Now, the really high end stuff $1200-1500+, there is a noticeable difference
when i first started, i can attest to the stafford brand however it is really subpar in quality. (for heavy usage) when I went to various countries they didnt hold up. Now mind you if you are slowlane by all means a great place to start, but as you progress in skills, income you should seriously invest in the heavy hitting brands of Zegna, John Lobb, Turnbull and Asser, Michael bastian, Burberry, Holland & Sherry etc even used garments from authorized resellers are a good investment. Trust me, it makes a huge difference. People worldwide are much more adept and aware at suits and top brands (not the fake top shit brands like LV, gucci, prada, tommy hilfiger, ralph lauren etc) but true time tested suitors and tailors. Mind you this only applies for those of us that are required to wear suits for our line of work.

Kak

Capitalist Swine
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jan 23, 2011
when i first started, i can attest to the stafford brand however it is really subpar in quality. (for heavy usage) when I went to various countries they didnt hold up. Now mind you if you are slowlane by all means a great place to start, but as you progress in skills, income you should seriously invest in the heavy hitting brands of Zegna, John Lobb, Turnbull and Asser, Michael bastian, Burberry, Holland & Sherry etc even used garments from authorized resellers are a good investment. Trust me, it makes a huge difference. People worldwide are much more adept and aware at suits and top brands (not the fake top sh*t brands like LV, gucci, prada, tommy hilfiger, ralph lauren etc) but true time tested suitors and tailors. Mind you this only applies for those of us that are required to wear suits for our line of work.
Interesting perspective. I never thought of the fact that people that are more attire centric in other countries might catch the details that us slobby Americans do not.

I like Stafford stuff for sport coats quite a bit, but I put more effort into my suits. If the sport coats last 2 years I’ll be happy with the purchase.

What I have noticed is the middle-end stuff. The jos a bank, Macy’s, and men’s warehouse suits if you will... That stuff is no better than Stafford, but it’s just sold in a nicer store at twice the price. Even some of the lower end brooks brothers stuff is just Chinese made like Stafford.

Agreed about moving to the much nicer brands there being a nice difference. Almost NOBODY I do business with wears stuff that nice. Around here, even among the lower end millionaires, brooks or banks are pretty much par for the course.

Last edited:

Arun Siva

Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Aug 31, 2016
NORD-TRONDELAG
smythebates.com
Agreed. however jos a and brooks are actually looked down upon (mostly in europe and in hong kong) I guess it may due to lack of upheld quality over the years.... With that being said, there are so many direct leather and wool suit manufacturers (highest per capita in italy) that it is possible to cut out hte middle man and get high quality goods at a decent price (even new)

like paul evans or ace marks for shoes (my 2nd tier go to pair of oxblood paul evan oxfords is still going strong)

Kak

Capitalist Swine
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jan 23, 2011
Agreed. however jos a and brooks are actually looked down upon (mostly in europe and in hong kong) I guess it may due to lack of upheld quality over the years.... With that being said, there are so many direct leather and wool suit manufacturers (highest per capita in italy) that it is possible to cut out hte middle man and get high quality goods at a decent price (even new)

like paul evans or ace marks for shoes (my 2nd tier go to pair of oxblood paul evan oxfords is still going strong)
Do you know about the canvassing of a jacket?

I have one "fully canvassed" suit and two "fully canvassed" sport coats. They are certainly nice, and supposed to be MUCH better than "fused" Chinese made stuff. Clearly they look nicer, but I don't see a huge difference. Thoughts?

Arun Siva

Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Aug 31, 2016
NORD-TRONDELAG
smythebates.com
There is without a doubt a huge difference especially for the long haul.

Traditionally, men’s suits were constructed with a layer of horsehair canvas underneath the wool fabric shell. This canvas holds the shape of the suit and keeps it from sagging or deforming, much like the foundation of a house keeps it upright.

The canvas lining allows the suit fabric to drape naturally, allowing a clean, well put-together look.

The fussed and half-fuss-half-canvas variants are just horrid as a served foundation and are usually found in the cheap drivel at major box stores.

Attachments

Arun Siva

Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Aug 31, 2016
NORD-TRONDELAG
smythebates.com
@Kak i just got a steal of a deal from a haberdashery consignment store, an ISAIA pronounced (ee-sai-ee-ya) super 160 (wool yarn count) suit and pant relatively close to my size (of course some alterations will be made to suit me, always get something a 1/2" measurement wise larger) for 400$ the suit brand new goes for 2000$ at nieman marcus and saks fifth.

Kak

Capitalist Swine
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jan 23, 2011

Traditionally, men’s suits were constructed with a layer of horsehair canvas underneath the wool fabric shell. This canvas holds the shape of the suit and keeps it from sagging or deforming, much like the foundation of a house keeps it upright.

The canvas lining allows the suit fabric to drape naturally, allowing a clean, well put-together look.

The fussed and half-fuss-half-canvas variants are just horrid as a served foundation and are usually found in the cheap drivel at major box stores.
Haha! There we go!

THIS is why I can’t tell the difference between a $400-500 jos a bank and a $150 stafford. Fused. Chinese. Probably the same generic stuff with two different labels on them.

I really like the way Canali fits OTR and we have MTM store in my city too!

Last edited:

jmusic

Meep.
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Mar 4, 2015

Arun Silva is right on the money, and explains one of the major differences between nicer suit jackets and the cheap crap (extra fabric for tailoring purposes, lining, sewing & fabric quality, and the finer details being many of the others). I've heard that some of the super cheap suits that you can find in Asia are actually canvassed with newsprint!

Good information, but his suit jacket is actually too tight.

Arun Siva

Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Aug 31, 2016
NORD-TRONDELAG
smythebates.com
Real quality pays. Trust me. With some tailor work you can find hidden gems from yesteryear and trust me it will go a long way. I had several gentleman from Mumbai to Abu Dhabi to Kuala lampur note several pieces of my wardrobe. It makes for conversation and also exudes some sort of respect ultimately.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Brian Suh

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
May 19, 2018
I don't know. I feel like focusing on how you look takes away too much time from the important stuff. Just put on a simple t shirt and a pair of shorts and get out the door and get to WORK.

Kak

Capitalist Swine
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jan 23, 2011
I don't know. I feel like focusing on how you look takes away too much time from the important stuff. Just put on a simple t shirt and a pair of shorts and get out the door and get to WORK.
Shut it down folks. No need for additional commentary. Brian here has cracked the code none of us were able to arrive at. Bravo. Groundbreaking. Featured post.

I'm just thankful he took his valuable time away from the "important stuff" to enlighten us all.

Brian Suh

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
May 19, 2018
Shut it down folks. No need for additional commentary. Brian here has cracked the code none of us were able to arrive at. Bravo. Groundbreaking. Featured post.

I'm just thankful he took his valuable time away from the "important stuff" to enlighten us all.
i mean this is the fastlane forum. Isn't whole point to be as inefficient as possible? I am not discounting the importance of dress but look at bill gates and mark zuckerberg. They literally dont give a F*ck and just throw on a pair of khakis and a t shirt.

Brian Suh

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
May 19, 2018
i mean this is the fastlane forum. Isn't whole point to be as inefficient as possible? I am not discounting the importance of dress but look at bill gates and mark zuckerberg. They literally dont give a f*ck and just throw on a pair of khakis and a t shirt.
The reason i am saying this is because most people I know who dress "flashy" are usually broke losers

Kak

Capitalist Swine
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jan 23, 2011
i mean this is the fastlane forum. Isn't whole point to be as inefficient as possible? I am not discounting the importance of dress but look at bill gates and mark zuckerberg. They literally dont give a f*ck and just throw on a pair of khakis and a t shirt.
Did you read the thread?

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
nope. It's 8 pages long lol. Just giving my opinion. I guess I spoke to soon? Oops.
I'm sure if you just throw on a pair of jeans and a t-shirt you'll be Mark Zuckerberg.

Sorry this thread is so long. We will try to keep threads to a page or two in the future to make sure you can actually read them in between video games.

Paleo

Bronze Contributor
Mar 3, 2014
I was once skeptical that there was any significant difference between cheaper men's clothing and the high end makers that would justify the large difference in price.

But having worn everything from low end department store lines, to middle market , to the elite brands such as Brioni, Canali. Barbera, Corneliani, Zegna, Canterelli (yes, I like Italian) the better Burberry, I can say that there is a HUGE difference is quality and wearability that does justify buying at least a few of these pieces.

The fabric is so good. Lighter. Softer. Drapes better. Breathes better Has great "hand", a tailor's concept that is hard to explain unless you've experienced it.

A fused jacket (Jos Banks, department store) is stiff. A canvassed jacket molds to and moves with the wearer. The fabric, design, cutting and sewing means that the clothes not only look great , they are so much more comfortable to wear. A cheap suit is uncomfortable; a good suit is not.

If you are thinking you can't afford these clothes, I will give you one word: Ebay. Search around and you can find authentic items from reputable sellers. Also, if you have the time and are in the right areas- thrift stores. I'm a bit of a treasure hunter and have found some great scores in thrift stores. I can often pick out just by site a quality piece on the rack and touching the fabric confirms it. Some of my favorite thrift store finds had no tags at all, or just the tag of the men's store that sold it, but were great quality.

I will admit, though, that a dream of mine is to have a couple of suits made by Savile row tailors.....

Brian Suh

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
May 19, 2018
I'm sure if you just throw on a pair of jeans and a t-shirt you'll be Mark Zuckerberg.

Sorry this thread is so long. We will try to keep threads to a page or two in the future to make sure you can actually read them in between video games.
Jeez didn't know this forum was so full of butt hurt guys who take life so seriously. I can go back and forth with these childish arguments but I am going to end it right here.

Brian Suh

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
May 19, 2018

You know nothing about me. Stop making assumptions. This one post gave me all I need to know on how simple minded you seem to be. Again, I was just giving my opinion on this matter as the post was dressing for success stop looking like a fool. Sure dressing nice is good and you should definetly do it but don't let it take away from what's actually important. In life, all that matters is execution and if you are good enough. If you have those two, you can wear a dirty chuck e cheese t shirt and jeans with paint stains and beat the guy who is wearing a $1000 armani suit who is an idiot.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Jeez didn't know this forum was so full of butt hurt guys who take life so seriously. I can go back and forth with these childish arguments but I am going to end it right here.
::4 minutes later::

You know nothing about me. Stop making assumptions. This one post gave me all I need to know on how simple minded you seem to be. Again, I was just giving my opinion on this matter as the post was dressing for success stop looking like a fool. Sure dressing nice is good and you should definetly do it but don't let it take away from what's actually important. In life, all that matters is execution and if you are good enough. If you have those two, you can wear a dirty chuck e cheese t shirt and jeans with paint stains and beat the guy who is wearing a $1000 armani suit who is an idiot.

Kak

Capitalist Swine
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jan 23, 2011
nope. It's 8 pages long lol. Just giving my opinion. I guess I spoke to soon? Oops.
Yep you did. For the 16th time in this thread... Flashy isn't the point. Competence and professionalism is... But you wouldn't know that because you didn't read the thread and decided comment from the peanut gallery about t-shirts and efficiency.

You and @sparechange have added precisely nothing to this discussion.

Out of Touch

Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jul 9, 2018
Canada
Page 2:
The way I see it is that @Kak plays the game on a different level. Do you need to dress for success if you're a solopreneur working on your e-commerce store? Not really as you don't interact with people face to face so there's no point in buying a nice suit if you aren't going to wear it anyway. If you're fine with running a small business, I don't think that Kak has a problem with that.

Should you pay more attention to your clothes when you negotiate with millionaires or billionaires who can potentially sign a 7-figure contract with you? I think so. It's a completely different world where every single detail matters.
Not impress, or to attract attention... Just look the part.

So politicians are corrupt... So... They control a sh*t load of money.

People that want to actually make money. You can't go through life bitching about conformists, talking about it the way things ”ought” to be, and expect to make anything of yourself. Like it or not, the world we live in is the way it is. If you show up to a business meeting with me and you look like you just rolled out of bed in the morning, the deal isn't happening.

Being the best, most professional version of yourself is in YOUR best interest.
Once again... Not to impress, just to look the part. Impressing and standing out are not the goal. Exuding professionalism is. The more capable you come across, the better the deals you can swing.

You SHOULD ABSOLUTELY CARE about the opinions of the people you are trying to make a deal with. This notion of ”f*ck them” is ridiculous. Once again. It is in YOUR best interest. You're not doing this for them.

This is the last time I defend my position on why it's important. IT IS and those that don't agree are wrong. You cool cats that can't be bothered to look halfway decent because it's beneath you... Good luck... I hope you play the lotto because you can't make real money in a vacuum.
There's your answer.
I don't think that anyone here is butt hurt... If you take a look above your post, there seemed to be some productive and informative discussion going on. You kind of broke the flow of the conversation there with a post that was refuted on Page 2.

Next time in a short thread just try to make sure to read all the posts prior to posting. (At least skim over). It's proper forum etiquette and shows some respect to the other posters in the thread.

------

Unfortunately, I don't have much to contribute to this thread as dress-code where I am in my Fastlane journey is not yet important. But I appreciate the time and value that @Kak is providing to those who need it.

Also, that story about @Vigilante 's dad's old business partner gave me a chuckle. That was a good one.

Kak

Capitalist Swine
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jan 23, 2011

jmusic

Meep.
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Mar 4, 2015
Just recently got my first pair of AE shoes: first quality 5th avenues in dark chili. I've had dress shoes before of course but these just exude quality.

For those who don't know the fit is just as important with shoes as the rest of your outfit. I wear size 14 in athletic shoes and went to a Nordstrom's to try these on. The 14 was too long but it was still too narrow. Turns out I need a 13E.

One of the things you should get when you're paying for nicer shoes is the better fit. AE makes 9 different widths!!!

Men’s Shoe Size Chart: Getting The Right Fit

Another way shoes can really amp up your style is when you're in "casual mode."

final_2.jpeg

Sperry Topsiders are super comfortable, can go with shorts or jeans (roll the legs 2-3 times to create some separation) or even khaki pants. Always wear sockless or with no-show socks. If you want you could even throw a sports jacket onto the above.

Imagine the "bumping into a client" scenario as described earlier in the thread (I'll look for it when I get a chance...) but this time on a Saturday. Would you be negatively judged for not wearing a suit on Saturday? No.

What about looking like a hoodrat?

Last edited:

Arun Siva

Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Aug 31, 2016
NORD-TRONDELAG
smythebates.com
dude shut the F*ck up

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Post thread…

Search the Forum

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe to become an INSIDER.

FASTLANE INSIDERS

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom