The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Dressing For Success... Stop looking like a fool.

Topics relating to managing people and relationships

Consolation

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Sep 6, 2017
Malaysia
Even football/soccer players who will rolled their SPORTS JERSEYS in mud and dirt chose to be serious in terms of dressings. They mean business.

jdt dressing.jpg

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Ocean Man

Life-long learner.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Sep 26, 2018
United States
Ordered my first pair of Allen Edmonds, Coffee - Park Avenue Cap-Toe Oxford and Full-Toe Cedar Shoe Trees. When I went to the Allen Edmonds store to take my size, they gave me two potential sizes. Hopefully, this one is correct...
Screen Shot 2021-06-29 at 9.17.39 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-06-29 at 9.18.03 PM.png

One of the dress shirts came in the other day, a bit too large. I'll see if I can get it tailored before I fly back to Korea.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Ordered my first pair of Allen Edmonds, Coffee - Park Avenue Cap-Toe Oxford and Full-Toe Cedar Shoe Trees. When I went to the Allen Edmonds store to take my size, they gave me two potential sizes. Hopefully, this one is correct...
View attachment 38657View attachment 38658

One of the dress shirts came in the other day, a bit too large. I'll see if I can get it tailored before I fly back to Korea.
They are well made shoes! I have a pair just like them.

Ocean Man

Life-long learner.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Sep 26, 2018
United States
My first pair of Allen Edmonds came in. Park Avenue. I’ve also purchased tree shoes to go along with them.

Attachments

• B1DA0B13-979B-4ADB-87CA-25A80D401ACB.jpeg
    B1DA0B13-979B-4ADB-87CA-25A80D401ACB.jpeg
    188.3 KB · Views: 15

Hong_Kong

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Apr 7, 2022
It has come to my attention that few people give this enough thought.

A common theme of my posts is thinking big and leadership. Both of these REQUIRE interaction with other people. Sure you can build some onepreneur super outsourced company and make good money... But the VAST majority of the extremely wealthy got that way by making strategic deals, establishing influence and leading others.

Which brings me to LOOKING THE PART. It's popular, and often considered a badge of honor, in entrepreneurial circles to not own a suit, to almost intentionally dress like shit and not give a F*ck. To that, I ask, why? To what end?

I have learned how to dress properly when interacting with influential politicians and high-level C suite executives of very large companies. I have learned how to dress properly when I have to approach the lower offices with hourly workers. From formal meetings to business lunches, I have done it all. To say looking professional in every single interaction pertaining to your business is important would be an understatement.

Now, I'm no expert, but I am observant and have years of experience meeting people in person. There is no excuse not to look your best and present like someone who can back up the talk. It also doesn't have to be expensive.

Ask me anything.
I read this thread and I see both sides of it.

Wearing a suit, look good feel good. A well tailored suit made from real materials (not poly) is the most comfortable thing you will own. Feel your best, and you will perform at your best level.

On the other hand, wearing sweat pants and a t-shirt is motivating as well, it mentally tells you "I don't need anyone's approval, I can wear whatever because I am a boss."

The thing that is problematic is that wearing casual clothes could be a self fulfilling prophecy. What if the reason that you like wearing sweatpants is because subconsciously you view yourself as a loser, and are uncomfortable in clothes associated with success?

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
I read this thread and I see both sides of it.

Wearing a suit, look good feel good. A well tailored suit made from real materials (not poly) is the most comfortable thing you will own. Feel your best, and you will perform at your best level.

On the other hand, wearing sweat pants and a t-shirt is motivating as well, it mentally tells you "I don't need anyone's approval, I can wear whatever because I am a boss."

The thing that is problematic is that wearing casual clothes could be a self fulfilling prophecy. What if the reason that you like wearing sweatpants is because subconsciously you view yourself as a loser, and are uncomfortable in clothes associated with success?

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
It depends... It's that same old answer. Again. Who are you trying to impress or influence? Are you trying to fly under the radar or be out front and center? What effect are you trying to make?

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
@Hong_Kong

A lot has certainly changed in the world since I wrote the first post of this thread.

Back then I was visiting the dry cleaners once a week! I was wearing jackets, dress shirts, nice shoes, all of it, several times a week. Why? Because I had a place to wear it.

Today, I can’t get people to meet in person. It’s like that entire part of business evaporated. Now people want to use Zoom or MS Teams for everything. While that is in fact easier, I have noticed it doesn’t leave the impression or influence others the way having an enjoyable and productive meeting of the minds. Either way, it’s not up to me, it’s culture.

Granted I have a big backlog of clothes that need dry cleaned, but I haven’t been to the dry cleaner in over a year.

I used to even wear jackets to church, at least partially causing a lot of the men including the pastor in my otherwise casual church to do the same. Today, the pastor frequently wears a nice looking plain t-shirt. I’m not bothered either, I guess I just don’t care anymore.

The culture has made and is continuing to make a decisive move toward informal attire. The more formal city dwelling executives don’t take meetings anymore. So my nicer clothing is reserved for weddings, galas, and other events that are also waning.

I can confidently say that today, in 2022, dressing for success comes down to looking like you care. That’s it.

Interesting how times change. Having nice suits is very very low on my list of musts at the moment. As much as I like them, mine are collecting dust.

Last edited:

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
@Hong_Kong

A lot has certainly changed in the world since I wrote the first post of this thread.

Back then I was visiting the dry cleaners once a week! I was wearing jackets, dress shirts, nice shoes, all of it, several times a week. Why? Because I had a place to wear it.

Today, I can’t get people to meet in person. It’s like that entire part of business evaporated. Now people want to use Zoom or MS Teams for everything. While that is in fact easier, I have noticed it doesn’t leave the impression or influence others the way having an enjoyable and productive meeting of the minds. Either way, it’s not up to me, it’s culture.

Granted I have a big backlog of clothes that need dry cleaned, but I haven’t been to the dry cleaner in over a year.

I used to even wear jackets to church, at least partially causing a lot of the men including the pastor in my otherwise casual church to do the same. Today, the pastor frequently wears a nice looking plain t-shirt. I’m not bothered either, I guess I just don’t care anymore.

The culture has made and is continuing to make a decisive move toward informal attire. The more formal city dwelling executives don’t take meetings anymore. So my nicer clothing is reserved for weddings, galas, and other events that are also waning.

I can confidently say that today, in 2022, dressing for success comes down to looking like you care. That’s it.

Interesting how times change. Having nice suits is very very low on my list of musts at the moment. As much as I like them, mine are collecting dust.
A lot of it has to do with gaining a sense of "presence". It's not just your clothes. It's how you wear them. Some people walk into a room and everyone notices them no matter what they are wearing.

The Sandman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Jul 12, 2022
@Hong_Kong

"Know your audience."

I'm working on buying a local business and the store has a tropical theme. When I first met the owner at the store he was wearing a Hawaiian shirt. We had some back and forth through the broker and I went in last week to talk face to face, and I wore the 1 Hawaiian shirt I have. It was a gift from my mother in law, and the guy loved it. I left with a verbal agreement. Probably would have gotten it without the shirt but it certainly didn't hurt. People generally appreciate effort.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
"Know your audience."

I'm working on buying a local business and the store has a tropical theme. When I first met the owner at the store he was wearing a Hawaiian shirt. We had some back and forth through the broker and I went in last week to talk face to face, and I wore the 1 Hawaiian shirt I have. It was a gift from my mother in law, and the guy loved it. I left with a verbal agreement. Probably would have gotten it without the shirt but it certainly didn't hurt. People generally appreciate effort.
You mirrored him... you have a much better chance to get an agreement when you follow their lead both in dress and speech.

I just met with a contractor on a flip I'm doing. We had never met. He saw my overalls and the fact I'm a senior citizen woman, and he over-explained everything -- without telling me what I wanna know -- very frustrating. (This house needs some foundation work, and the roof line changed so we can add a large carport and slab. That roof line change will give us an attic space to run our heat ducts for the upstairs bedrooms and add the carport roof.) I stopped him in mid-sentence and explained my experience level. I told him to bring the conversation up a notch. After that, all was well. We'll see how he bids out this series of jobs...

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
@Hong_Kong

The world changed a lot in a short period of time. Amazing. Did not expect this change in attitude from you.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.