• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

FEATURED! Dressing For Success... Stop looking like a fool.

Discussion in 'People & Relationships' started by Kak, Jun 10, 2018.

1. Kak

Kak Capitalist Swine Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $27,154
    Sounds cool! Try some nice boots too like Tecovas Ropers or something of the like. Very "industry".

2. GPM

GPM Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $20,012
    @Kak what would you suggest for the following situation?

In downtown here the outfit for 99% of everyone is dress pants, dress shirt, dress shoes (Monday to Thursday) and jeans and dress shoes with a golf or button shirt on Fridays. Bankers wear suits, almost no one else does. Ties are also rarely worn, but they do look sharp and make one stand out when compared to the masses.

What would you suggest one wear when going to meet people for lunch and informal greetings. Also, what would you suggest to wear for actual meetings?

Kak likes this.
  3. GPM

GPM Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $20,012
    We also have a similar style. I hate anything flashy. I hate big bold patters or anything shiny. Skinny ties look foolish, as do giant pointy clown shoes that stick out 5" past your toes, and are so shiny they could be used as a mirror.

I am fit, bordering on what today's society calls "skinny" (man do I HATE being called that though). I like "slim fit" jackets and shirts so that they don't look like billowing sails on me. However, if it is so tight as to restrict motion, I wouldn't look at it twice. I like suits and jackets with subtle striping, nearly the same color as the clothing itself. Lends it a nice classy appearance without looking too bold or in your face.

Is there a particular type of fabric that you prefer for your suits and jackets? Does this change with the weather or the season?

Andy Black and Kak like this.
  4. Philip Marlowe

Philip Marlowe Every Day On, No Days Off Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $1,459
    This is important. Don't own a solid black suit unless you're a limo driver or a bouncer.

Huracan, ChrisR, FastNAwesome and 2 others like this.
  5. Kak

Kak Capitalist Swine Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $27,154
    What I would say is that it depends on who these people are. Who are the people that just wear a dress shirt and slacks? To me a dress shirt and slacks looks like an employee. The golf shirt on Friday is "casual Friday" to me that says "yay Im allowed to wear something besides my typical crummy Walmart dress shirt". I would venture that you could dress a level above them and do well.

On bankers... Around here most of them wear very dark suits mostly black. Thus my comment earlier about black suits also being emoloyees. A banker isn't the prestigious job it used to be.

One level better than these employee types, in my opinion, would be the same look with a sport coat. Make sure the shirt is nicer than average too. Believe it or not, regardless of formality, you will probably be dressed nicer than the banker in his every day cheap black suit.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    c4n, ZF Lee, Andy Black and 3 others like this.
  6. Kak

Rep Bank:
    $27,154
    I have 5 suits... All of them are a thin high quality 100% wool construction.

I have about 10 sport coats. 2 are camel hair for winter. 4 of them are 100% wool. 2 of them are blended wool and synthetic fibers. I also have linen/cotton sport coats. Nothing beats linen in the hot summer. My linen sport coats are structured nicely and still look like a classy sport coat. A lot of times the linen stuff can be really flat. Avoid those.

c4n, MidwestLandlord and GPM like this.
  7. dompie85

dompie85 Bronze Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $843
    Vest or no vest with the suit (4 button, mid cut V, 5 button high cut V, 3 button low cut V??) I personally like wearing a vest (mid cuts) with my suit.

I currently own 2 cashmere, custom fitted suits. My wife doesn’t like me wearing the vest, I love it

8. kelvinfernandezm

kelvinfernandezm Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $1,906
    Was it a live open casket?

Xeon likes this.
  9. Vigilante

Vigilante Legendary Contributor Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $183,857
    Well it was an open casket but not sure I would call it live.

YoungPadawan and Xeon like this.
  10. kelvinfernandezm

kelvinfernandezm Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $1,906
    It was sort of a pun. Here's the the thing you said the only time he saw you in a full suit and tie was at his funeral. How can he see you if he's dead?

11. Vigilante

Vigilante Legendary Contributor Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $183,857
    You think I am going to entertain your morbid pun and attempt at humor regarding a discussion about my dead mentor?

I've only ignored one person in the history of this forum. I might have just made it two.

12. kelvinfernandezm

Rep Bank:
    $1,906
    Man created fashion not women. Remember those kings that wore high heels and white makeup also the wig.

You can dress however you want and not give a f*ck. But guess what people will look at you and see that you don't give a f*ck. So why in the hell would they do business with you if you just don't give a f*ck. They know you'll only be thinking of yourself and not of them. Truth is when it comes to dressing the part we are doing it for other people. We want them to feel comfortable around us by looking good and having good hygiene.

Yeah the top politicians are not your model citizens but there's a reason why they get away with so much sh*t because they have control over strong societal institutions. Having just a tiny bit of access to this societal institutions can make a big difference in your life.

The majority of humans care about impressions. I was working with this one guy who clearly did not give a f*ck about impressing others. He smelled bad, bad hair, bad breath, untie shoes, dirty clothes etc. Well everyone else hated him and they made him quit. The bosses did not fire him but he became an outcast at work.

Xeon likes this.
  13. kelvinfernandezm

Rep Bank:
    $1,906
    I apologize if it offended you.

Puripong, ChrisR, Xeon and 2 others like this.
  14. Vigilante

Rep Bank:
    $183,857
    Thanks.

ChrisR, ZF Lee, Kak and 1 other person like this.
  15. Ninjakid

Ninjakid Platinum Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $9,731
    For the record, I'm not trying to fake anything. This is just the hairstyle I had at the time, but it's different now.

I rarely dress like this tbh. I kinda just wear whatever I like.

16. Kak

Rep Bank:
    $27,154
    Are you f*cking serious? What is the matter with you?

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    ChrisR, Xeon, luniac and 6 others like this.
  17. Kak

Rep Bank:
    $27,154
    The vest can formalize a suit. Probably not in most business settings today. Things are more casual.

I like 2 button suits. They are classic.

18. Kak

Rep Bank:
    $27,154
    Sometimes all it takes for me is one comment and I know I never need to read another post from them.

GPM, Vigilante, Get Right and 3 others like this.
  19. MidwestLandlord

MidwestLandlord Legendary Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $37,643
    GREAT thread @Kak

A&E's shoes/boots are awesome. But for guys that are hard on shoes, the cost can be kinda steep.

I've found Ecco brand boots/shoes to be great. About half the price of A&E's, great quality, and I think all of their selections have non-slip soles that still look like a flat soled boot/shoe (non-slip being important in the north where I live, but most non-slip soles look clunky...these don't)

I buy 2 identical pairs, wear each every other day. Shine them weekly in winter, monthly in summer. They last a good 6 years or so, then they get turned into lawn mowing boots (probably look stupid mowing in chukkas/wing tips/derby's/chelsea's, but who cares lol)

That works out to about $66 a year for 2 great pairs of boots.

I have about 30 pairs of shoes/boots lol

ChrisR, TheCj, Andy Black and 4 others like this.
  20. Ronak

Ronak Silver Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $7,720

You can pick up a pair of Allen Edmonds under $200, they've got clearance sales all the time, including right now on their website, I saw some even in the $100 range.

404profound, Kak and MidwestLandlord like this.
  21. Danny reds

Danny reds Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $184
    Man i love this!!! Definitely bookmarking this :thumbsup:

TheCj, Kak and Vigilante like this.
  22. Kak

Rep Bank:
    $27,154
    Rep+ I have like 8 pairs and I didn't figure this out until the 7th. I've resoled 2 pairs. They truly are a buy it once and have them forever item.

23. GPM

Rep Bank:
    $20,012
    Anything magical that you do with your dress shoes if your feet sweat in them? I find dress shoes to lack in the breathability department, and when I am wearing a pair it is generally for the whole day.

Swamp foot is not cool.

Kak likes this.
  24. Longinus

Longinus Platinum Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $13,461
    Talc powder.

[​IMG]

SquatchMan and ZF Lee like this.
  25. SquatchMan

SquatchMan Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,594
    I douse all my shoes in Gold Bond before putting them on.

The one downside is that my ex-gf thought I had ashy feet the first time she saw me without shoes and it's a mess if you have carpet, but I got tired of having smelly feet.

You can also take them off if appropriate (sitting at desk). One of the things I like about living in Asia is that no one looks at me strange when I take off my shoes indoors.