The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Don't bash college

A post of a ranting nature...
Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnjohnson

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
May 2, 2015
I am just annoyed that most entrepreneurial forums I come across have a negative view of college/institutions of higher learning. There was even an ad on youtube where this guru said the secret to getting a ferrari or lamborghini was to "DROP OUTTA COLLEGE" which is absurd.

In the Bay Are/Silicon Valley it seems almost everyone under 35 who has anything going for them is a college grad. They will communicate with each other, rather than the college dropouts who order primerica starter kits.

And if you do not attend college you also don't know anyone- no old classmates, no poker buddies from the dorm, no alumni network, no professors are available to you to brainstorm, make introductions, and offer references.

You might say networking events. How many intelligent, technical, college-educated co-founders will risk everything for you and your idea which is most likely viewed as silly? They will most definitely choose to co-found with a formally educated person over you.

Most coders worth their salt have college degrees. In any event a trained monkey can learn to code - they teach it in grade school these days. Most coders are not the brains of the outfit. Many tech entrepreneurs hire coders for peanuts to bring their ideas to fruition.

The difference is that those people with degrees know ten times more about the actual background, foundations, and multiple facets of the technology. They are the ones who ultimately invent new technology. Coders are the guys, often not too bright, that entrepreneurs can ask to resolve a tech question on a free internet site. And again, many of those coders have college degrees.

Also, if you are actually arrogant enough to believe you can self-teach yourself engineering of any discipline through ocw or something, go for it. Then, compare yourself with any chemical engineering major. See which one is more competent.

I really don't understand why people hate college so much. I'm 15 years old and even I understand it should be appreciated greatly.

The fact is you aren't as smart as you think. Just because your parents told you you were special doesn't mean you are the next Gates/Ellison/Etc. These people had incredible work ethics and intelligence levels to gain admission into their respective elite universities. They also took advantage of their universities cutting-edge software technology. They also met their co-founders there.

Did you self-study every aspect of your industry since the age of 12? Did F500 companies buy the rights to the software you coded in high school? If not, its probably time to stop tooting your horn about how you are the next revolutionary entrepreneur and start cracking the textbooks.

Bottom-line: Reading TMF doesn't give you any edge over anybody else. It's a self-help book that millions have read.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

FreshStart87

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Jun 28, 2013
New Jersey
I am just annoyed that most entrepreneurial forums I come across have a negative view of college/institutions of higher learning. There was even an ad on youtube where this guru said the secret to getting a ferrari or lamborghini was to "DROP OUTTA COLLEGE" which is absurd.

In the Bay Are/Silicon Valley it seems almost everyone under 35 who has anything going for them is a college grad. They will communicate with each other, rather than the college dropouts who order primerica starter kits.

And if you do not attend college you also don't know anyone- no old classmates, no poker buddies from the dorm, no alumni network, no professors are available to you to brainstorm, make introductions, and offer references.

You might say networking events. How many intelligent, technical, college-educated co-founders will risk everything for you and your idea which is most likely viewed as silly? They will most definitely choose to co-found with a formally educated person over you.

Most coders worth their salt have college degrees. In any event a trained monkey can learn to code - they teach it in grade school these days. Most coders are not the brains of the outfit. Many tech entrepreneurs hire coders for peanuts to bring their ideas to fruition.

The difference is that those people with degrees know ten times more about the actual background, foundations, and multiple facets of the technology. They are the ones who ultimately invent new technology. Coders are the guys, often not too bright, that entrepreneurs can ask to resolve a tech question on a free internet site. And again, many of those coders have college degrees.

Also, if you are actually arrogant enough to believe you can self-teach yourself engineering of any discipline through ocw or something, go for it. Then, compare yourself with any chemical engineering major. See which one is more competent.

I really don't understand why people hate college so much. I'm 15 years old and even I understand it should be appreciated greatly.

The fact is you aren't as smart as you think. Just because your parents told you you were special doesn't mean you are the next Gates. Gates had an incredible work ethic and intelligence to get into Harvard in the first place and took advantage of the institutions cutting edge technology (he also met his co-founder there).

Did you self-study every aspect of your industry since the age of 12? Did F500 companies buy the rights to the software you coded in high school? If not, its probably time to stop tooting your horn about how you are the next revolutionary entrepreneur and start cracking the textbooks.
Not another one of these

D

DeletedUser394

Broski, just because your parents are forcing you to attend college when you get older, that doesn't mean that you need to start this thread in an attempt to convince yourself that you are going by your own decision.

lol, when I was a teenager I thought I knew everything. Then I grew up and realized I was a total idiot. I'm probably still an idiot - only richer (and without a degree). Shiet.

Enjoy the student debt, embrace it. Become one with it.

What a shit thread. Almost gave me cancer.

College threads should go right to the [HASHTAG]#landfill[/HASHTAG]

Veloce Grey

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Jun 24, 2014

The fact is you aren't as smart as you think.

Those are amusing lines to put together. The latter is what every 15 year old should probably know.

Perhaps hold off advising people about college for a few years.

FreshStart87

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Jun 28, 2013
New Jersey
I guess someone should create a college success forum. In my opinion I know plenty of blue collar slowlaners that make more money than college grad slowlaners. Ive learned how to become a great person through self help books and never stepped foot in college.

Johnjohnson

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
May 2, 2015
Those are amusing lines to put together. The latter is what every 15 year old should probably know.

Perhaps hold off advising people about college for a few years.

What separates me from the rest of 15 year olds is that I actually have reasons for supporting higher education. Yet, you resort to attacking my age which I briefly mentioned rather than 99.9% of the thread which contained valid points. I guess college it is since no one can actually refute any of my arguments.

Lavi Fletcher

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Jun 2, 2015
Sydney
The whole point of the Fastlane is to get started as soon as possible and not waiting around for imaginary deadlines like "Once I graduate".

If your mentality can't be changed easily, you're most likely gonna be a middle class loser earning that $70K and then wonder why you see a guy driving a car worth 10 years of salaries and why you can't do the same.

And who said anything about teaching yourself engineering LMFAO.

On your point about "no old classmates, no poker buddies from the dorm, no alumni network, no professors are available to you to brainstorm, make introductions, and offer references", I'm 17 bruh and have just cold-emailed a bunch of people, allowing me to talk to 3 founders who have multi-million dollar exits, the primary application reviewer for Y Combinator, angel investors, VCs (all in real life) as well as executives of Remittance and Peer-to-peer lending companies (by email). I'm in Year 12 at high school and while I am 2 years older than you, tell me how my credentials are greater than yours?

Bottom line: They're not. Your mindset is just downright retarded. At the end of the year, I'm going to Atlanta to work on my FinTech startup full-time. Without a college degree w0w!

I don't even know what to think dude, you came to this forum saying "don't bash on college", that's like going to an Anti-Vax forum and saying "don't bash on vaccinations".

Whatever, do what you want and in 10 years you'll be looking at the ones who hustled and lived through the grind and are now partying, while you're jerking yourself off in a graduate position on $30K a year.

Good luck.

The Grind

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Oct 17, 2014
I'll just go ahead and say it.

College is literally the biggest waste of time and money on the planet. IF you want to become rich, have real freedom, and contribute real value to the world.

Moreover, the social conditioning aspect of the "you must get good grades on high school so you can get into a good college so you can get a good job" rather than thinking for yourself about your future, is much more of an issue.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%