Pick a direction. Get started. Keep going.
- May 20, 2014
Great story, thanks for sharing.What’s the story of your first sale?
- I was actually not looking to sell anything at all! I found a product only which was essentially small piece of aluminum with some engraving on it. And it cost $39! I figured I could design it myself and 3D print it for much cheaper. And so I did.
I then posted a picture of it on a Facebook group and people LOVED it and they all wanted one! That's when I started making and selling them to people in the Facebook group. The profit margin was massive! It cost my less than a dollar of material to print it and I was selling it for $20 a pop. It was still half the price of the aluminum one that I found online. The customers were happy and I was happy.
How did you feel in that moment?
- This can actually happen! I can actually think of something in my head, bring it to life, present it to people, and get them to buy it!
What changed from that moment onwards?
- I knew I couldn't sell that product forever. It was pretty lucrative while it lasted however it was meant for an extremely niche audience and it wasn't a consumable. Eventually, everyone that wanted one, got one.
What has it lead to?
- I have designed and manufactured several other products since then and I'm currently in the testing phase. These are targeted towards a much larger audience and will hopefully be a huge hit!
What would you have done LESS of?
What would you have done MORE of?
What one piece of advice would you give someone about making that first sale?
- Learn how to talk to people without sounding like a desperate car salesman.
I’ve never really considered how people can make something with 3D printers and sell them.
Wondering how you could create a monthly subscription out of it... Can you create and sell small figures as collectibles for example?
I’m curious. What did procrastination look like for you? Was it doing nothing, or was it doing busy work?
Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.