The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Young ambitious mind in need of further guidance

Thomas Baptiste

Guide Yourself!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Jun 8, 2018
Commonwealth of Dominica
Greetings to everyone in the community!

Let me start by introducing myself. I'm Thomas; a 20 yr old male who currently lives in the Caribbean. More specifically, I'm a citizen of the Commonwealth of Dominica, The Nature Isle of the Caribbean. I am a web developer and graphic designer, and i'm known locally for my skills with anything software related. My use of this forum is late but it can't be helped due to my circumstances. My island was devastated by Hurricane Maria in September of 2017 , and things are just starting to return to a state of normalcy here. I actually read the Millionaire Fastlane shortly after that time. It was a tough period for me and many others, but honestly the book inspired/motivated me and since then i've taken steps to create my own fastlane business.

There are countless hurdles ahead of me. Primarily, the tough thing right now is operating on this island seeing that we are still a third world country so there are many limitations. Regardless, there are things that I still need to learn in order to implement my ideas properly which results in question of attending a foreign college (if i'll be able to afford it). There are many skills i've yet to acquire that are necessary for my success, but i'm on the path and I hope this forum will be a help. Thanks for reading. I wish for my presence here to be of mutual benefit to everyone involved.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018

Let me start by introducing myself. I'm Thomas; a 20 yr old male who currently lives in the Caribbean. More specifically, I'm a citizen of the Commonwealth of Dominica, The Nature Isle of the Caribbean. I am a web developer and graphic designer, and i'm known locally for my skills with anything software related. My use of this forum is late but it can't be helped due to my circumstances. My island was devastated by Hurricane Maria in September of 2017 , and things are just starting to return to a state of normalcy here. I actually read the Millionaire Fastlane shortly after that time. It was a tough period for me and many others, but honestly the book inspired/motivated me and since then i've taken steps to create my own fastlane business.

There are countless hurdles ahead of me. Primarily, the tough thing right now is operating on this island seeing that we are still a third world country so there are many limitations. Regardless, there are things that I still need to learn in order to implement my ideas properly which results in question of attending a foreign college (if i'll be able to afford it). There are many skills i've yet to acquire that are necessary for my success, but i'm on the path and I hope this forum will be a help. Thanks for reading. I wish for my presence here to be of mutual benefit to everyone involved.

Great intro, Thomas. Welcome to the forum. I admire your learning new ideas and thinking about the future, even while recovering from catastrophe. I hope that your island's recovery goes well.

Do you see yourself wanting to stay in Dominica, or ultimately to relocate?

There are some Gold threads that might give you some great ideas on how to monetize your talents, using the gig sites like Fiverr and Upwork, and with your own web design business.

I realize you are just starting on your entrepreneurial business. This forum is an amazing resource for ideas that will inspire you! And for people happy to talk with you too. I'm glad you joined!

Thomas Baptiste

Guide Yourself!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Jun 8, 2018
Commonwealth of Dominica
Great intro, Thomas. Welcome to the forum. I admire your learning new ideas and thinking about the future, even while recovering from catastrophe. I hope that your island's recovery goes well.

Do you see yourself wanting to stay in Dominica, or ultimately to relocate?

There are some Gold threads that might give you some great ideas on how to monetize your talents, using the gig sites like Fiverr and Upwork, and with your own web design business.

I realize you are just starting on your entrepreneurial business. This forum is an amazing resource for ideas that will inspire you! And for people happy to talk with you too. I'm glad you joined!
I will surely try out the platforms you mentioned and use the resources here. Thanks for the welcome and the kind words.

AlexLegault

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Jun 6, 2017
Ontario, Canada
GThere are many skills i've yet to acquire that are necessary for my success, but i'm on the path and I hope this forum will be a help.

What skills do you require? And why do you need them?

And welcome to the forum brother. Lots of great people and advice here. :)

Thomas Baptiste

Guide Yourself!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Jun 8, 2018
Commonwealth of Dominica
What skills do you require? And why do you need them?

And welcome to the forum brother. Lots of great people and advice here. :)

Thanks for the welcome brother.

First and foremost, time management! Although difficult to do so given my circumstances, when I get the opportunity to work on my goals (even when I deliberately make time for them), I usually fail to do anything substantial that is progressive. Honestly feel like I'm at a standstill. I'm stuck between the slowlane life here, or the relocating elsewhere and trying to get the fastlane life work for me. The only way I can successfully relocate is through attending a foreign college as an international student to say the least. Everything around me currently is a headwind!

Secondly, there's the improvement of my web development skills. I have the million dollar idea, but it's the execution that's giving me a headache right now. With the current level of my skills, I can't see myself implementing my ideas as I currently have them designed. I guess starting small and working up from there is the path I should take now.

Lastly, Business skills! I have limited experience in business, if i can learn anything at all from the experiences of you guys here on the FastLane Forum then it will help immensely.

KeithWallace

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
254%
Jun 7, 2018

Hi Thomas, welcome to the Fastlane forum, interesting intro.

Curious, what are your reasons for wanting to go to college? Do you need a qualification, or is it a route to move out of the country? Do you feel you need some specific training to reach your business goals? As you've read Millionaire Fastlane , you'll know MJ's views on (expensive) college courses - don't let 'them' tell you it's necessary (but maybe it is, depending on what you want to do).

I have found tons of value in online courses - many are free such as Coursera, Udacity, Khan Academy and iTunes University and luckily these sites are heavily weighted towards web design/computing and business courses. If there's nothing there that you fancy, Udemy almost always has a sale on (or a voucher you can find) so you can get any course for $10. I've done some great courses there. If you want recommendations for courses, let us know what you're interested in learning.

I can't pretend to relate to what it's like living on a devastated island, but I would imagine as long as you have a computer made in the last 15 years and an Internet connection there shouldn't be much holding you back.

I'll be interested to see your progress.

Thomas Baptiste

Guide Yourself!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Jun 8, 2018
Commonwealth of Dominica
Hi Thomas, welcome to the Fastlane forum, interesting intro.

Curious, what are your reasons for wanting to go to college? Do you need a qualification, or is it a route to move out of the country? Do you feel you need some specific training to reach your business goals? As you've read Millionaire Fastlane , you'll know MJ's views on (expensive) college courses - don't let 'them' tell you it's necessary (but maybe it is, depending on what you want to do).

I have found tons of value in online courses - many are free such as Coursera, Udacity, Khan Academy and iTunes University and luckily these sites are heavily weighted towards web design/computing and business courses. If there's nothing there that you fancy, Udemy almost always has a sale on (or a voucher you can find) so you can get any course for $10. I've done some great courses there. If you want recommendations for courses, let us know what you're interested in learning.

I can't pretend to relate to what it's like living on a devastated island, but I would imagine as long as you have a computer made in the last 15 years and an Internet connection there shouldn't be much holding you back.

I'll be interested to see your progress.

Thanks for the welcome!

Going to college currently is less about getting the qualification, and more of an avenue to relocate as you rightfully mentioned. Qualifications are not a priority for me as I type this, seeing that working for another is something that I would like to stop/avoid. Going to college will help me in regards to developing certain networks that aren't available on island. as well as improving on my knowledge base.

The island is devastated, and I only recently got full access to the internet ( almost 9 months after the Hurricane hit). Funny story, several months before the Hurricane hit I spent my savings purchasing an Alienware 15 r3 which is a gaming laptop with the intentions of practicing my web programming on a powerful computer with enough power to last me a long time and not needing to upgrade in 10 years or so. Honestly it's probably my saving grace right now. Since then I've been waiting for electricity to return ,and things have gotten incrementally better. I actually plan on taking some Udemy and Udacity courses to aid with the implementation of the ideas that I have, but business wise, I feel the need to get out and start in a place where the laws governing business are close to that of which I want to operate under.

AlexLegault

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Jun 6, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Thanks for the welcome brother.

First and foremost, time management! Although difficult to do so given my circumstances, when I get the opportunity to work on my goals (even when I deliberately make time for them), I usually fail to do anything substantial that is progressive. Honestly feel like I'm at a standstill. I'm stuck between the slowlane life here, or the relocating elsewhere and trying to get the fastlane life work for me. The only way I can successfully relocate is through attending a foreign college as an international student to say the least. Everything around me currently is a headwind!

Secondly, there's the improvement of my web development skills. I have the million dollar idea, but it's the execution that's giving me a headache right now. With the current level of my skills, I can't see myself implementing my ideas as I currently have them designed. I guess starting small and working up from there is the path I should take now.

Lastly, Business skills! I have limited experience in business, if i can learn anything at all from the experiences of you guys here on the FastLane Forum then it will help immensely.
Time management is simple. Although there are lots of "tricks" and "methods" out there, all it comes down to is having a goal to motivate you, cutting all the distractions and taking small breaks in between tasks to do things you enjoy.

As for skills, start small and build up from there. If you try and do a lot right away, your brain will literally say "F*ck that shit. I need to preserve glucose (sugar)".

Dream the big picture but then come back to earth and act on the first step/action you need to take. That's all you need to do.

Reverse engineer what you want, that's where the answers are.

Thomas Baptiste

Guide Yourself!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Jun 8, 2018
Commonwealth of Dominica
Update 29/06/2018

Currently, I'm on a path that's kind of hard to put into words without getting emotional or rambling on and on. It's interesting really. I went through a rough time in 2017, and in the midst of it all I was introduced to the Millionaire FastLane . It's guided my thinking, my associations, and most importantly it has organized my ambitions.

Sincerely, thank you MJ!

Now onto the circumstances:

• I've started on a path that will allow me to start my own technology company, but I have some hurdles. I don't have a solid internet connection given my current circumstances, so doing anything online at this moment ( including using this forum ) is incredibly expensive for me.
  • I previously mentioned that skills are needed in order for me to successfully continue on the FastLane. More specifically coding skills/logic skills. I can't deny that the internet is very helpful in that regard, but it's currently a luxury I can't afford.
  • I failed to mention previously that I need to relocate so that I can successfully transition from sidewalk/slowlane to fastlane. Relocating is basically the key in the ignition at this point. It's actually not even an option anymore. It's just a matter of time.
I successfully applied and got accepted into a college in Montreal, Quebec, Canada; where i'll successfully be able to acquire the necessary skills/network needed to materialize the concepts/ideas that I have in my head. Trust me, it's a dark and deep feeling of helplessness when you have an idea but you can't execute it because you don't have the technicalities down. Education will help. College will help.

Also, I'm actually considering permanently relocating to Canada. The resources are better ,and the economy is better. The scale is larger for my targeted users; it's a better situation relative to operating here ,on island.

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018
Congratulations on your steps forward, Thomas! Your clarity, motivation, resourcefulness, and persistence are so amazing. You keep on going, in a situation that could make many people say, "It's hopeless, I'm stuck on an island that got wiped out by the disaster." I have no doubt that you will achieve all the success you desire!

For the super-expensive internet problem, you could add browser plugins like NoScript and ImageBlock. With NoScript, you can block scripts except for the sites you approve. Put this forum site on the allowed list so you can browse and post. Leave scripts blocked for other sites, except when you need to make a post or place an order. Image Block prevents images from loading, so that you get a text only view. With these plugins, the amount of data loaded will go way down. I'm reluctant to also suggest a plugin that blocks ads on an ad-supported site, but if you can't afford to even download the ads, you'd probably not cost MJ too much revenue for now! Once you live where there is good Internet service, you can disable the plugins and get back to the full browser experience.

Do you know what will be your college major? Or will you figure that out while you're there?

Thomas Baptiste

Guide Yourself!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Jun 8, 2018
Commonwealth of Dominica
Congratulations on your steps forward, Thomas! Your clarity, motivation, resourcefulness, and persistence are so amazing. You keep on going, in a situation that could make many people say, "It's hopeless, I'm stuck on an island that got wiped out by the disaster." I have no doubt that you will achieve all the success you desire!

For the super-expensive internet problem, you could add browser plugins like NoScript and ImageBlock. With NoScript, you can block scripts except for the sites you approve. Put this forum site on the allowed list so you can browse and post. Leave scripts blocked for other sites, except when you need to make a post or place an order. Image Block prevents images from loading, so that you get a text only view. With these plugins, the amount of data loaded will go way down. I'm reluctant to also suggest a plugin that blocks ads on an ad-supported site, but if you can't afford to even download the ads, you'd probably not cost MJ too much revenue for now! Once you live where there is good Internet service, you can disable the plugins and get back to the full browser experience.

Do you know what will be your college major? Or will you figure that out while you're there?
Thanks for the kind words, I appreciate it. The browser plugins i'll look into thank you.

I already figured out that I'll want to major in Computer Science with a focus in web technologies. I already have minor experience in it, and i'm hoping I can expand on that. I'm currently putting my finances together to ensure that it will be a smooth transition.

JordanK

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
296%
Feb 17, 2014
Ireland
This is an awesome thread man. Well done on realizing that your circumstances aren't ideal for getting to the Fastlane and quickly adjusting/taking action by getting accepting into a Canadian college.

Thomas Baptiste

Guide Yourself!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Jun 8, 2018
Commonwealth of Dominica
Update 27/07/2018

This month has been somewhat slow. The fact is I'm stuck in a waiting process to attend the school the next academic year. I'm stuck in this slowlane job in order to make ends meet. On the bright side i've been surrounded by real people that have showed me the joys of enjoying life in the moment, but on the dark side, they all are content with where they are. The mentality of the people i'm surrounded by is one of complacency; a complacency I can't stomach.

I'm actually in the process of applying for a scholarship in order to attend the school. Since my finances are really weak at the moment, it's not even a choice anymore. I just have to wait for the approval and then I can get the ball rolling. I literally have 0 leverage right now in terms of relocating. It's all up to this approval i'm waiting for right now. Hopefully, I'll be able to do something productive in the time that i'm waiting.

JohnZ123

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Jan 23, 2014
Hey Thomas I think it's really awesome you're being very resourceful. I'm also from Toronto, Canada with a lot of relatives in Montreal. If you're ever down to meet up or at least keep in touch online let me know!

Thomas Baptiste

Guide Yourself!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Jun 8, 2018
Commonwealth of Dominica
Update 20/11/2018

Unfortunately, although I did all I could, mustered all the effort ,and put in all the energy, I am unable to pursue studies at this point in time and in the foreseeable future. This is a real disappointing and hopeless struggle. I spent upwards of 5k CAD filling out applications and working towards getting out of my country and situation. The only bright side to this is the fact that I'm currently seeing the world for what it really is. Where being an entrepreneur and fastlane isn't even an option. It's not a choice guys. If you want to live the life you want and have all the leverage you desire, you need to do so on your own terms. That's the brightside of it. You have the power. I left my slow lane job and I'm actually a technician right now for a small business (telecomm) that has fastlane principles and is actually on the road to do some major stuff. I plan for the next few weeks and months to learn all I can and see how they operate here. The scale is small but the magnitude is large enough to make sustainable profits.

Even if I don't go now, the ambitions I have will not fade and I'll surely make things work one way or another. It's just disappointing that this plan didn't work.

The real decisions are tough to make. I either stay here and get stuck in the slowlane to survive, or I go all out from here and risk everything on my future. Difficult times.

Last edited:

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
Didn't see your thread earlier, but welcome to the forum. Thanks for keeping us updated. Glad you've at least found another path.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...