The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Can you "steal" an idea that is already out there?

Idea threads

DavidofMN

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
218%
Apr 19, 2011
Stillwater, MN
I met this lady who is offering this: www.mydaycase.com

It is basically a iphone case with a clear back panel that has interchangable inserts so that you can change the look of your phone without buying a new case. I am getting some to sell in The Fashion Mobile as a test because I thought they were cool.

I have met with her and talked to her about it. She thought of the idea, found a supplier on DHgate.com, got samples and designed/made the inserts all in 6 weeks. She made a website for it and is now selling them. A case and 3 inserts is like $27. The case is not patentable and others have posted this idea on youtube and pinterest. She just did it better than them.

She is a graphic designer and makes all the designs. I can't do that. You can also make your own custom ones by uploading your own pictures.

So it got me thinking about it. The cases are about $1.50 or so. The inserts cost about $.50 or so. So for about $3 or $4 you can offer these for sale wholesale for $10-12.

Pretty cool idea but is it something I should pursue? Because here is the twist I want to put on it. I have two children that are 11 and 10 years old. They both have ipod touches which have cases on them. My idea is to offer the kids a case and 3 or 5 inserts for their ipod touches/iphones that they can trade with each other. Kinda like trading cards for your phone.

For girls it could be cute designs/justin beiber/cool sayings and for boys it could be something like action guys/pokemon type guys. Then the parents could buy one case with the started pack designs to protect the device then the kids would buy the inserts to make it their own/trade designs/looks with their friends.

I can test this idea buy doing it for my kids and their friends at their school and see what happens. It would cost me very little I suppose. Buy a couple of cases at the store first to test this out, make some of the cards and give them to kids to see what they think of it.

The idea got me thinking about other fads/trends that go big quickly. Silly bandz, pogs, pokemon (though these are still pretty big). Also could go down the licensing route (which she is exploring) of college logos and merchandise.

Is this even worth pursuing? CENTS evaluation:
Need: Weak Yes - People need cases to protect their devices and something that is different/customizable is always attractive to people.
Entry: Fail - Anyone with a credit card and printer could do this. Buying the product from China wholesale my sound hard but can be done easily. Case is not patentable unless you design a new one.
Control: Fail/Weak Yes - At the mercy of the suppliers for the actual product. If I would go for the "trading card" twist of the idea then some control could be exercised on the inserts.
Scale: Yes - Wholesale these and you could sell lots.
Time: Weak Yes

Thoughts?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited by a moderator:

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Sam Walton didn't invent the discount store, he just made it better than K-Mart. Then, he copied Sam's Club from Saul Price's Price Club.

This lady didn't invent the cases or the idea of an insert. As long as you are not infringing on any patents that she has... you might be good to go. I'd be surprised if anyone could patent this. Clear cases have existed for ever, as have multiple types of inserts, stickers, and other stuff. I bought my daughter a clear case for her phone a few years ago with an insert for her sorority logo.

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
No doubt they will sell, but I believe the business model violates the entry principle. If you can get the clear cases, the inserts would be very, very easy to make and easily copied.

However, if you could brand it, and nail the execution, you may be able to get a leg up on any other copiers. However, I have no idea of what the competitive landscape looks like.

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
The interchangeable plate theme is going really strong right now. I was talking to a local jeweler and her biggest seller is an the interchangeable pendants. It's a chain with a silver base, and you snap in/out different emblems depending on occasion/mood/outfit/etc.

I like the phone plate idea, and it can really take off with a strong BRAND behind it.

My girlfriend's an illustrator and is active in a social network of artists called Deviant Art. The big trend at the moment is trading 'adoptables' which are simple characters or animals with unique designs that you can adopt. Teenagers are paying via paypal to own these unique designs.

Here's a sample of the kind of work she's been selling:
Adoptables by JMA-adopts on deviantART
These designs sell for $5-$25 each and the people who buy them have the right to redraw them, etc. But it's really about 'collection'.

I think that there's a big opportunity these types of character designs to be incorporated into this cell-phone plate idea.

Have them for moods/personality types/cliques/stereotypes/music genres/whatever. You can have this be like the 'taggable' facebook pics that were trending not so long ago. example: http://tagmyfriends.fb-addicts.com/fbimages/Bleach-Personality-2.jpg_1312130771.jpg
except you'd buy your shy friend a 'the shy one' plate, your goth friend 'the goth', etc.

With a short/sweet/memorable/brandable name like "fooze" you can put Fooze.com on the back of all the plates, Advertise with PPC for Video on youtube with a test budget ($500/month to start). Throw up a shopify store to sell the different plates in. You can also test T-Shirts, Notebooks, Binders, etc. for FREE by using a print-on-demand service like Cafepress or Zazzle.com so you don't have to invest in inventory until you know it will be successful.

tincho1492

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Aug 7, 2011
Uruguay
My girlfriend's an illustrator and is active in a social network of artists called Deviant Art. The big trend at the moment is trading 'adoptables' which are simple characters or animals with unique designs that you can adopt. Teenagers are paying via paypal to own these unique designs

Still not understand what an 'adoptable' is. Do they print them and use as their mobile covers?

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
The word "steal" is too harsh. It makes it seem like only one person can "own" an idea. This is why barriers to entry are so important because even if you do something that has never been done before, your brother and dad and mother in law will all try to get in on the action flooding the market and creating a worthless market.

There is a grad student in my Entrepreneur society at school that created waterproof iphone cases for your iphone. its been done before. He is doing 4 million in sales this year and already has 17 employees. Thats proprietary because not everyone can engineer something. the harder something is the better.

Eskil

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jul 18, 2012
Scottsdale, AZ
How about:
Start out by having some good designers make a collection of a range of various designs. Anything from cool, sporty, flashy, gothy, hip, retro, whatever...
Prove that you can sell these, and then move on to contact small to medium sized pop-cultural brand names and see if you can get some license deals going.

Being a Kiss fan, I know that they get approached by hundreds of companies every year who want to cut license deals by printing/manufacturing their <INSERT PRODUCT HERE>, but with Kiss' logo and likenesses on it. And Gene Simmons being the entrepreneur that he is has a hard time saying no to most of them (Lol). They have over 3000 merchandised items to date I believe...

Kiss is just an example. My point is that if you can get some bands, artists, skateboard brand names, fashion brand names, movie poster / likenesses, etc. etc.... then you could have a winner with licensed cover prints... ;)
Check Vigilante's licensing thread for reference. You are helping them make money for doing nothing - and many are not gonna say no to that. It's a win-win.

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
Still not understand what an 'adoptable' is. Do they print them and use as their mobile covers?

No an adoptable is simply a design that people on Deviant Art will place on their page. It's completely digital, and serves no practical purpose other than people 'wanting' them and subsequently buying them.

It doesn't really apply to the mobile cover idea, but because they're making so much traction I was suggesting taking the concept of uniquely stylized characters and branding them to specific to the phone cover idea.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Because here is the twist I want to put on it.

Most new businesses are simply that ... a new twist (or a better twist) on something that already exists.

Ideas build on Ideas.

As long as you aren't violating copyrights, patents, and trademarks, go crazy.

chrishobson

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Nov 14, 2012
This actually sounds like a pretty good idea that I am sure my fiancee would spend way too much money on, especially if you had Hello Kitty inserts lol.

I wouldn't consider it stealing at all, but in my opinion if the person who originally told you about it is a friend or colleague I wouldn't pursue it. If a random person took my idea and made money on it no big deal, but if it was a friend I'd be angry.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.