The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Billionaire Ray Dalio: Meditation is ‘the single most important reason' for my success

Andrew W

Be a Provider.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
400%
Apr 12, 2018
I've seen lots of people interested in meditation here so I thought I'd come by and drop my two cents along with a Massive resource that will help tremendously. First off, I've been studying meditation for the past three years on-and-off. I'm no master but I have spent long enough to know some of the best resources out there on the topic. (Skip to end for resources).
There are an insane amount of disciplines regarding meditation but the one I use is called "Concentration Meditation."

Technique
You essentially focus on your breath and at the same time let all of your surroundings in; sounds, smells, and feelings, everything. But at the center of it all you focus on your breath, and every time you feel yourself thinking of something else Anything else, you divert your attention back to the breath.

This might seem like it doesn't do much when you first start but if you keep at it everything becomes easier. You are practicing concentrating on something intently and when you stop meditating and begin working this focus and attention carries over. If you don't believe me, just give it a try. One week is all I'm asking, if it doesn't work for you, move on. No harm, no foul. But it might just be one of the most important additions to your life you'll ever make.

Resources
First off, watch this video:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAVPDYhW_nw&t=467s

This will give you an overview of the point of meditation. No mumbo-jumbo here.

Second, get this book: https://www.amazon.com/dp/1501156985/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20
I am in no way affiliated with the author or this book, however, it is perhaps the most definitive and useful meditation guide I've ever read through.

End
Thanks for reading, I hope these resources can help! This is the best resource I've found on the topic and that video is a great introduction to the benefits of meditation.
Cheers!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
I personally meditate using methods taught by OSHO.

It has helped me gain clarity and awareness. And apart from reading every day, it's the single most thing that has had a revolutionary effect on my life. It says something because very little things in life have such an impact.

This area is definitely one of those things that most people dismiss cause after all "how is this gonna make me money?" Most people don't care about this kind of stuff because it seems like a waste of time.

To make this discussion interesting here is why I think it does help you make money cause it has happened to me:

We are stuck in a level of consciousness that drives our attention and awareness outward.

We need to drive our attention and awareness inward. More self-awareness.

In other words we understand things outside of ourselves the more we understand ourselves.

We need to meditate in order to gain awareness of things outside ourselves.

In other words start with yourself.

It's very difficult to form complex relationships and insights with all your attention outward.

Every single day you need to build your problem solving skills. Spirituality and meditation help you get there. Solving problems=cash money.

It's very difficult stuff. And most people don't see that connection. But whatever.

Think of a normal distribution curve. Success is an occurrence at the 3% level. Most people don't care about this stuff...hhmmm...

Last edited:

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
Dammit.. I mean to post this in my last reply, but @Thoelt53 distracted me with his dumb shit...

0*Q1pbDo77TWfWtcQQ.png

"More- over, brief mindfulness training significantly improved visuo-spatial processing, working memory, and executive functioning. Our findings suggest that 4 days of meditation training can enhance the ability to sustain attention; benefits that have previously been reported with long-term meditators.”
http://jtoomim.org/brain-training/Zeidan2010_Mindfulness_Meditation.pdf

Last edited:

Nigel B

Life Long Learner
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Sep 18, 2017
USA
Thanks to those contributing to this thread, esp. @ChrisV. I've tried meditation off and on, but never manage to commit to it in the way I know I should - going to make it happen this time.

Nigel B

Life Long Learner
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Sep 18, 2017
USA
Into the Magic Shop
I lost my way in that book - think I was listening to it when Unscripted came out :)
Seriously I think that might be why I stopped halfway thru it.
I'll finish that along with the other reading this thread has brought up.

Rawseed

Legendary Lurker
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
255%
Mar 1, 2018
Atlanta, GA
I am completely sold on meditation and it's benefits. It seems as if three out of every four successful people in the world meditate.

I've been doing the Headspace app 'Tiny Habits style' for the past 30 days. 3 minutes a day for 10 days. Then 5 minutes a day for 10 days. Now 10 minutes a day for 10 days. And I've seen some benefits in my mood and cognition.

However, I do feel like journaling is extremely powerful as well. And it's easier to explain and to execute. If you can't get into meditation, consider journaling. Try it twice a day. Right before bed and as soon as you wake up.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
I am completely sold on meditation and it's benefits. It seems as if three out of every four successful people in the world meditate.

I've been doing the Headspace app 'Tiny Habits style' for the past 30 days. 3 minutes a day for 10 days. Then 5 minutes a day for 10 days. Now 10 minutes a day for 10 days. And I've seen some benefits in my mood and cognition.

However, I do feel like journaling is extremely powerful as well. And it's easier to explain and to execute. If you can't get into meditation, consider journaling. Try it twice a day. Right before bed and as soon as you wake up.
Have you read Tim Ferris’ Tools of the Titans?

After doing interviews with dozens (perhaps hundreds? not sure) of the worlds top performers, this was one of the first lines in his book:

“In this book, you’ll naturally look for common habits and recommendations, and you should. Here are a few patterns, some odder than others:

More than 80% of the interviewees have some form of daily mindfulness or meditation practice

A surprising number of males (not females) over 45 never eat breakfast, or eat only the scantiest of fare (e.g., Laird Hamilton, page 92; Malcolm Gladwell, page 572; General Stanley McChrystal, page 435)

Many use the ChiliPad device for cooling at bedtime
Rave reviews of the books Sapiens, Poor Charlie’s Almanack, Influence, and Man’s Search for Meaning, among others

The habit of listening to single songs on repeat for focus (page 507)
Nearly everyone has done some form of “spec” work (completing projects on their own time and dime, then submitting them to prospective buyers)

The belief that “failure is not durable” (see Robert Rodriguez, page 628) or variants thereof
Almost every guest has been able to take obvious “weaknesses” and turn them into huge competitive advantages (see Arnold Schwarzenegger, page 176)”
Excerpt From: Timothy Ferriss. “Tools of Titans.” Apple Books.

Ayanle Farah

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 13, 2016
When a billionaire and super successful person tells you ‘the single most important reason' for my success you best listen to what that is!
LOL, he could say "brushing my teeth made me successful" and you'd probably believe him.

You'll find many average joes meditating, even I did it at one point, where is my billions?

MythOfSisyphus

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
521%
Jan 15, 2018
Australia
I found the book Waking Up by Sam Harris and was hooked on the idea of meditation. Built 10 minutes of Vipassana into a habit on workdays.
It's a very good place for the more logic oriented individuals to begin as it explains meditation without any of the guru BS.

I started meditating around 8 years ago and I view it as a meta skill that's impacted almost every area of my life. My fitness and health has improved, my finances have improved dramatically, I've increased my desire and capacity to learn and improved my relationships.

Its a very gradual change but the biggest impact it's had for me is the ability to really detach from situations or things that used to stress or worry me. I can now view things in a very calm, analytic way and then act accordingly.

Best of all though it's really enjoyable when you do it regularly. Ive found its increased my capacity to enjoy all the simple things in life that my busier, more stressed self used to take for granted.

Lionhearted

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
266%
May 29, 2012
Killeen Texas
LOL, he could say "brushing my teeth made me successful" and you'd probably believe him.

You'll find many average joes meditating, even I did it at one point, where is my billions?

That's like saying,"I worked out at one point, where is my buff body?" LOL This guy has been meditating since 1968! That's 50 YEARS TWICE A DAY! He continues to do so to this day! So understand the difference and the possible correlation between the two? And if he said,"Brushing his teeth made the difference" and he had a GOOD case for it I would at least investigate that too!" Note also that he said ,"Meditation was the single most important reason for his success." Language matters. He did not say,"It was the ONLY reason for his success." Now here is the thing you have to ask yourself ,"What is in it for him to tell you this?" His net worth is $18.1 BILLION!!!! He could be spending all his time doing ANYTHING ELSE! You name it he can afford to do it with a thousand of his best friends! So ask yourself WHY would he waste his valuable time telling us this if he didn't believe it and he did not think it was worthwhile telling? He's not even selling a product on the suggestion! He doesn't have to, he has $18.1 Billion! LOL Success leaves clues and when it does I listen. You can disregard the mans words but you can't disregard his success.
I suggest that you check your attitude towards super successful people. Try and see them in a more positive light. I am not suggesting that you NOT be critical but I am suggesting to have a neutral bias and base your opinion on what is actually there as opposed to what you project. For example I don't particularly like Bill Gates but I would not dismiss any success advice he has for me off hand. The guy has to know something of value! He certainly has been financially successful! If someone has a better handle on something than you do(IE. financial success), have the humility to at least ask why did it work for him and not for me? And what can I learn from them to make my life better? All the best. Thanks for responding.

Last edited:

Ayanle Farah

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 13, 2016
That's like saying,"I worked out at one point, where is my buff body?" LOL This guy has been meditating since 1968! That's 50 YEARS TWICE A DAY! He continues to do so to this day! So understand the difference and the possible correlation between the two? And if he said,"Brushing his teeth made the difference" and he had a GOOD case for it I would at least investigate that too!" Note also that he said ,"Meditation was the single most important reason for his success." Language matters. He did not say,"It was the ONLY reason for his success." Now here is the thing you have to ask yourself ,"What is in it for him to tell you this?" His net worth is $18.1 BILLION!!!! He could be spending all his time doing ANYTHING ELSE! You name it he can afford to do it with a thousand of his best friends! So ask yourself WHY would he waste his valuable time telling us this if he didn't believe it and he did not think it was worthwhile telling? He's not even selling a product on the suggestion! He doesn't have to, he has $18.1 Billion! LOL Success leaves clues and when it does I listen. You can disregard the mans words but you can't disregard his success.
I suggest that you check your attitude towards super successful people. Try and see them in a more positive light. I am not suggesting that you NOT be critical but I am suggesting to have a neutral bias and base your opinion on what is actually there as opposed to what you project. For example I don't particularly like Bill Gates but I would not dismiss any success advice he has for me off hand. The guy has to know something of value! He certainly has been financially successful! If someone has a better handle on something than you do(IE. financial success), have the humility to at least ask why did it work for him and not for me? And what can I learn from them to make my life better? All the best. Thanks for responding.
No one is into meditation more than Indians yet how come they're one of the poorest countries?

There is probably a billionaire out there who never meditated in his life, meditation worked for this guy sure but for millions around the world it's a waste.

You can't justify everything as "he's financially successful so he must be right", I used to think like that aswell.

If you always jump on everyone's advice you won't have the confidence to do things on your own, you're always going to need guidance.

Last edited:

SquatchMan

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
383%
Dec 27, 2016
Nowhere
Lots of belief traps in this thread and people having somewhat blind faith in a system/process.

Where have we seen that before?

Anyway, I'll speak of my experiences and you can make of it what you want.

I meditate while listening to pure binaural beats (4 hZ to 6 hZ) through headphones while doing the whole focusing on my breath part.

The beat may be a crutch, but they do work well for me as I have an especially active internal voice. Binaural beats are the only way I've found to kind of turn it off and actually meditate.

I've also read about people meditating with that frequency having out of body experiences (OBE), entering other dimensions (?), and viewing other data streams (!). However, I have not experienced any of that, yet.

I'm not sure if it does anything for business though and meditating because "this billionaire said it's important and I want to be a billionaire too" (no one actually said that; it's an example) is probably the wrong mindset to begin meditation. It's too ego driven and basically money chasing.

Lionhearted

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
266%
May 29, 2012
Killeen Texas
No one is into meditation more than Indians yet how come they're one of the poorest countries?

There is probably a billionaire out there who never meditated in his life, meditation worked for this guy sure but for millions around the world it's a waste.

You can't justify everything as "he's financially successful so he must be right", I used to think like that aswell.

If you always jump on everyone's advice you won't have the confidence to do things on your own, you're always going to need guidance.
I appreciate that. There are many ways to learn. I find learning from others learned experience is easier than my own. Everyone has his own path and you get to yours.
Again the guy did not say I meditated and that is what made me a billionaire he said it helped him greatly. He runs a hedge fund so I think there is more to his success than just meditating but he did say it was the most important factor so again I think that is worth looking into. Not preaching that you should or should not.
Why are people in India poor? Same reason they are poor here I suspect. You can meditate till the cows come home but if you don't take ACTION to change your situation nothing in your life will change. Thanks. All the best.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore

Ayanle Farah

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 13, 2016
I appreciate that. There are many ways to learn. I find learning from others learned experience is easier than my own. Everyone has his own path and you get to yours.
Again the guy did not say I meditated and that is what made me a billionaire he said it helped him greatly. He runs a hedge fund so I think there is more to his success than just meditating but he did say it was the most important factor so again I think that is worth looking into. Not preaching that you should or should not.
Why are people in India poor? Same reason they are poor here I suspect. You can meditate till the cows come home but if you don't take ACTION to change your situation nothing in your life will change. Thanks. All the best.
I can respect that.

Why don't we test it?

You go the way of learning from others experience, take all their advice, read all the books and I will learn through trial and error, let's see who achieves more.

Let's put a deadline from today to new year: January 1st 2019.

D

Deleted61358

Last edited by a moderator:

Lionhearted

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
266%
May 29, 2012
Killeen Texas
I can respect that.

Why don't we test it?

You go the way of learning from others experience, take all their advice, read all the books and I will learn through trial and error, let's see who achieves more.

Let's put a deadline from today to new year: January 1st 2019.
Define what you mean by achieve more? Personally I want to be wealthy in all aspects of my life. Mentally, spiritually, socially, physically, financially and most of all wealthy in FREEDOM.

Ayanle Farah

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 13, 2016
Define what you mean by achieve more? Personally I want to be wealthy in all aspects of my life. Mentally, spiritually, socially, physically, financially and most of all wealthy in FREEDOM.
Whether you have a business atm or you are just getting started, let's see who achieves more in business untill January 1st 2019.

It means we'll go out and do our own thing, then after new year we will compare our accomplishments/milestones during this time and see which method was more effective, trial and error or learning from others experiences.

You don't have to do it if you don't want to.

Healthfulness

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Oct 7, 2018
Denmark
I am meditating for pretty long time so I'll add my 2 cents. While meditation doesn't guarantee financial success, there are benefits that everyone will experience. Main idea of meditation is to increase awareness, both - self and environment awareness, this will have huge positive impact in every aspect of life as people often tend to be so lost into their thoughts that they don't see what's happening around them, this for sure includes opportunities to increase your income, but there's way more than just that. I remember when I started, for first months I had no idea why I am meditating and I was very skeptical until the point where I got this "aha" moment, It's a lifetime process, but It really helps to calms down your mind and organize your thoughts, and once in a while I get insights that are highly valuable and really put things into perspective.
Definitely, try It, It takes very little effort, 10 minutes in the morning and 10 in the evening is enough, try It for few weeks and see If that does any good for you.
On technique, just focus on your breathing, whenever you notice you're thinking - switch focus to breathing, the goal is not to stop thoughts, thats impossible, goal is to be able to control your mind as most people just follow the orders their mind gives to them and they are not always beneficial, meditation helps to detach from thoughts - observe and analyse them.

Lionhearted

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
266%
May 29, 2012
Killeen Texas
Whether you have a business atm or you are just getting started, let's see who achieves more in business untill January 1st 2019.

It means we'll go out and do our own thing, then after new year we will compare our accomplishments/milestones during this time and see which method was more effective, trial and error or learning from others experiences.

You don't have to do it if you don't want to.
I appreciate the challenge. I define my progress and success on my own terms. I am in a competition against my WORST ENEMY, ME! I grow continuously as person and that is my personal journey not a competition. I am sure you will do fine this year and I know I will excel, regardless of whether I meditate or not. To me ACTION trumps all else. I have found my gold mine (figuratively) now it is up to me to MINE the gold out of it. Meditating alone will do nothing to get the gold out of the mine but if meditating makes me a better miner then there is nothing but good in that. If it does not then I will continue to become a better miner regardless. BTW my gold mine is between my ears. All the best Ayanle.

Last edited:

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
I'm not sure if it does anything for business though and meditating because "this billionaire said it's important and I want to be a billionaire too" (no one actually said that; it's an example) is probably the wrong mindset to begin meditation. It's too ego driven and basically money chasing.

I actually think most people will not meditate just because of an article like this.

Number 1 because it's hard work. Number 2 because people have a hard time seeing WHY someone should meditate. When you first start meditating there is a lot of resistance to it because we are prisoners to to our external desires as buddha says.

I'm confused on meditation. is it just closing your eyes and not thinking about anything?

There are a lot of meditation techniques and you don't have to wear a funny outfit to do it. It can be just sitting in a chair and watching yourself. But almost all techniques revolve around the same idea, the idea that we are not awake and that we are a prisoner to ourselves. If this idea resonates with you and you agree with it, meditation is something to look into.

MythOfSisyphus

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
521%
Jan 15, 2018
Australia
I'm very likely one of the very few people on earth that doesn't think science is the tell all of our existence. Science tells us what we witness and piece together. Science is not going to explain our spiritual selves.
I think where a lot of people go wrong is this dogmatic belief that until something is 100% verified by science its BS. The types who look down on anyone for trying something that hasn't first been backed by 200 peer reviewed studies.

Science is a wonderful tool, but that's all it is. It can verify things as true and verify things as false but that doesn't mean everything in between is irrelevant or wrong to put faith in.

Many things we now hold to be true were once thought to be nonsense... The earth being round for example.

Last edited:

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
Edit, whoops I misread your comment

I think where a lot of people go wrong is this dogmatic belief that until something is 100% verified by science is BS. The types who look down on anyone for trying something that hasn't first been backed by 200 peer reviewed studies.

Science is a wonderful tool, but that's all it is. It can verify things as true and verify things as false but that doesn't mean everything in between is irrelevant or wrong to put faith in.

Many things we now hold to be true were once thought to be nonsense... The earth being round for example.

Yes, great post. Just because something isn't known by science doesn't make it untrue.

The error people make is They think there are two categories: True (proven by science) and Untrue (not proven by science)

But in reality there are three categories True / False / Not enough information to make a determination. Proven / Disproven / Unsure. It's an error I see Athiests make. They assume since we don't have enough data (actually I just think that science isn't equipped to make that determination) but since it's not scientifically proven, it falls under the category of 'untrue.' and it doesn't work like that.

Last edited:

Daniel.N9098

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Oct 4, 2018
For those getting started, a very good book to read is "10% Happier" by Dan Harris, he explains his journey throughout spirituality and meditation. It is excellent because he is a great story teller and at the beginning he was very skeptical about these two topics.

Great recommendation. I found his story very relatable. I've been meditating for over a year now. I can't think of a single not to meditate.

Thinh

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Aug 11, 2018
Woah, when I read the first post of this thread I got excited like a little girl waiting to try her new princess costume she just received for her 5th birthday.

Why? Because (seemingly) out of nowhere, last week my kindle made me a recommendation to read "Principles" from Ray Dalio. I never heard of this guy one week ago and now there's a post on the fastlane forum about it. Talk about Baader Meinhoff

If you haven't read it, add it to your reading list.

I haven't finished reading the book and while part of me wants to say it changed my life, it's still a bit early to make such a declaration. But the guy surely know what he's talking about. At almost every paragraph I read, I get an epiphany. Ok I might be exaggerating a bit, but that's really the feeling.

Last time I lived this was with... The Millionaire Fastlane (I swear I'm not a sycophant).

Now, about taking advice from a billionaire, I believe him when he says that, and meditation is without any doubt a good practice. But of course it's not a silver bullet. I'm sure he doesn't even thinks it is. Remember? There's no silver bullet. At all.

The more I learn, discover and hear about successful people, the more I believe that no one actually knows what the f*c they are talking about, except for THEIR CONTEXT.
That means that every advice out there is given by someone that has their own character, upbringing, way of seeing and dealing with things, environment... Which is almost always different than yours or mine.

Now I'm not rejecting every advice that's given. But I think the way you take the information and adapt it to your own context is a LOT more important than the advice in itself.

Yes, they are millionaires who never wake up before 10am. But there are a ton that do.
Wealthy people who don't work hard. Many of them work like mad though.
Successful entrepreneurs who made it on their first attempt. But countless of others who made it after 5, 10 or 100 attempts.

And probably billionaires who don't meditate.
But it's not important. Context is. What is important to me is that when I come across a strategy/advice/opinion, I try it, and see for myself in MY context if it produces results. That's really the only way you will ever know what works or not.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.