• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

Billionaire Ray Dalio: Meditation is ‘the single most important reason' for my success

Discussion in 'General Mindset, Motivation, Beliefs' started by ChrisV, Oct 23, 2018.

1. ChrisV

ChrisV Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $11,331
    Hijena1, SMH, Lionhearted and 8 others like this.
  2. BookwormMitch

BookwormMitch Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $938
    I was going to ask what type of meditation but that’s what the whole article is about.

Have you done any research on different types and which is best Chris?

I have the calm app on my phone which I love, I had a look at all the other apps but I preferred calm. Still need to make it a more regular habit, this thread is a good reminder of how important it is.

Midas, lucasb, NateKruse and 2 others like this.
  3. Olimac21

Olimac21 Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,260
    For those starting in the meditation world, I recommend: Joseph Goldstein videos (especially on craving or non self) and the meditation apps Insight Timer/Headspace.

MetalGear and ChrisV like this.
  4. ChrisV

ChrisV Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $11,331
    TM (Transcendental Meditation) is the most widely researched. Mindfulness is catching up, but that’s stuff you do as you go about your day. Kind of like “portable meditation”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Madame Peccato

Madame Peccato Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $182
    I 100% would love to know the science behind this, I've always been fascinated by the powers of our mind. Also I really need to start meditating myself, I'm going to start this evening in fact.

Santi Merino and SteveO like this.
  6. The Abundant Man

The Abundant Man Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,902
    I meditate when I sleep. Does this count?

7. SteveO

SteveO Legendary Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $90,898
    I feel that meditation is simpler than we all try to make it out to be. Not easier, just less complicated. It is simply connecting with our inner-selves. No science needed. No change in the brain. Just a connection...

I do agree that meditation helps tremendously. But, we are still going to accomplish without it. It reduces the churn and stresses. It also provides clarity.

I meditate 10-30 minutes a day. Usually 2 sessions. It is necessary to take myself into a lower consciousness first. I try again later if there is difficulty relaxing into the proper state.

8. luniac

luniac Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $10,664
    Zhan Zhuang

9. ChrisV

Rep Bank:
    $11,331
    Yes but knowing the science shows people the benefits and can help them stay on track.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TinyOldLady likes this.
  10. ChrisV

Rep Bank:
    $11,331
    Okay so... meditation helps with a mental facet called Executive Function.

Executive Function is “higher order thinking.” It’s planning, response inhibition, goal directed behavior, Self Control. Read through the answers and you’ll notice a lot of the difference between the wealthy responders and non wealthy responders had to do with many of those things, most notably Self Control.

Executive functions (EFs) make possible mentally playing with ideas; taking the time to think before acting; meeting novel, unanticipated challenges; resisting temptations; and staying focused. Core EFs are inhibition [response inhibition (self-control--resisting temptations and resisting acting impulsively) and interference control (selective attention and cognitive inhibition)], working memory, and cognitive flexibility (including creatively thinking "outside the box," seeing anything from different perspectives, and quickly and flexibly adapting to changed circumstances).

If you look at my thread about the differences between Millionaires and non-millionaires, the differences become obvious.

FEATURED! - Author spent 5 years interviewing 177 selfmade millionaires to find their secrets. Findings inside.

Meditation helps Excutive Function, Self Control and boosts willpower. It makes it easier to do the things you know you need to do, but don’t feel like doing.

We all know what we need to do to succeed, just like people generally know what they need to do to lose weight. It’s usually just a disconnect between knowing and doing. It's not usually"i don't know what to do" it's usually more like "i don't feel like doing that."

Here are a couple of other things that help executive function.

"Various activities appear to improve children’s EFs. The best evidence exists for computer-based training, traditional martial arts, and two school curricula. Weaker evidence, though strong enough to pass peer review, exists for aerobics, yoga, mindfulness, and other school curricula."

"Children devote time and effort to activities they love; therefore, EF interventions might use children’s motivation to advantage. Focusing narrowly on EFs or aerobic activity alone appears not to be as efficacious in improving EFs as also addressing children’s emotional, social, and character development (as do martial arts, yoga, and curricula shown to improve EFs). Children with poorer EFs benefit more from training; hence, training might provide them an opportunity to “catch up” with their peers and not be left behind. Remaining questions include how long benefits of EF training last and who benefits most from which activities."

Activities and Programs That Improve Children’s Executive Functions

Also:

"The importance of social, emotional, and physical health for cognitive health is discussed because stress, lack of sleep, loneliness, or lack of exercise each impair EFs [exec functions]. That EFs are trainable and can be improved with practice is addressed, including diverse methods tried thus far."

Executive functions. - PubMed - NCBI

Adele Diamond is one of the leading researchers when it comes to Executive fuction.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
  11. ChrisV

Rep Bank:
    $11,331
    Well if calm is the one you like, then calm is the best ;)

In my opinion if it keeps you coming back, that's one of the most important things.

Sleep is important, but unfortunately it doesn't count as meditation lol. Meditation teaches you to calm your mind, which sleep doesn't.

ZF Lee likes this.
  12. SteveO

SteveO Legendary Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $90,898
    I'm very likely one of the very few people on earth that doesn't think science is the tell all of our existence. Science tells us what we witness and piece together. Science is not going to explain our spiritual selves.

13. ChrisV

Rep Bank:
    $11,331
    I'm not, lol.

No... I'm half kidding... i don't think science will ever explain 'life' or what it means to be alive. But everything else it's got a monopoly on, imo. Including meditation benefits.

14. Daniel.N9098

Daniel.N9098 New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $16
    Best way to start is to sit down tonight and get started. All it takes is 5 minutes in silence and focus on your breathing. Good luck!

Madame Peccato likes this.
  15. MetalGear

MetalGear Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $4,384
    1. I use a free app called Insight Timer for my practice
    2. I'm interested in transcendental meditation
    3. Anyone know any good resources?

TinyOldLady, Olimac21 and SteveO like this.
  16. socaldude

socaldude Platinum Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $10,072
    I think that science and spirituality is totally compatible. Actually, the most successful scientists were spiritualists.

It's just that a lot of academics and scientist quickly dismiss any evidence and are intellectually arrogant. Despite the fact that there is NO evidence to say that we can't connect to higher mental dimensions.

I just find it funny that the most intelligent people in our society quickly dismiss these kinds of things without evidence to the contrary and existence of evidence to support it. They will say "prove it" but a proof only exists in mathematics and logic. You can't prove the Big Bang or evolution. There is only evidence to support the theory that makes it "more likely than not to be true".

Scientist think they are the smartest persons in existence but the error of thinking there is that non-human "things" have intelligence as well. And nature as a whole is has an intelligence as a whole. And one far superior and mysterious to anything we can grasp with our fragile minds.

"Everyone who is seriously interested in the pursuit of science becomes convinced that a spirit is manifest in the laws of the universe – a spirit vastly superior to man, and one in the face of which our modest powers must seem humble" - Einstein

Real Deal Denver, NickB and ChrisV like this.
  17. Madame Peccato

Madame Peccato Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $182
    Thanks @ChrisV for your explanation.

18. daru

daru Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $937
    I found the book Waking Up by Sam Harris and was hooked on the idea of meditation. Built 10 minutes of Vipassana into a habit on workdays.

MythOfSisyphus, Midas, NickB and 2 others like this.
  19. Olimac21

Olimac21 Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,260
    Any recommendation of Vipassana meditation sources?

20. Olimac21

Rep Bank:
    $1,260
    For those getting started, a very good book to read is "10% Happier" by Dan Harris, he explains his journey throughout spirituality and meditation. It is excellent because he is a great story teller and at the beginning he was very skeptical about these two topics.

Daniel.N9098, MetalGear and daru like this.
  21. ChrisV

Rep Bank:
    $11,331
    KLaw, MetalGear, Olimac21 and 2 others like this.
  22. Ninjakid

Ninjakid Platinum Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $9,696
    Science can't explain the nature of our consciousness.

23. MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco Raving Lunatic Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $352,772
    Admin Post
    I actually like his newer book better, A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life's Purpose.

24. ChrisV

Rep Bank:
    $11,331
    He explains how to do it briefly here:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AX9vX7YzfSo

PS, this is exactly why I hate Gary Vee.

Roz, MetalGear, SteveO and 1 other person like this.
  25. ChrisV

Rep Bank:
    $11,331
    A unique perspective on mindfulness. What he is describing is not meditation at all though. It’s closer to mindfulness, and it’s not even that really.
    But mindfulness is somewhat of a meditation you can do as you go about your day:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzuazdarDHE

re mindfulness: these are good (quickish) videos about the duality.... there are the thoughts.. then there is this consciousness that is aware that you’re thinking... but it’s not the thoughts itself. Understand? Because thoughts can’t think about themselves... there’s something else there that knows youre thinking. And aligning with that consciousness is part of meditation. I love how Jordan explains it especially.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIaY0l5qV0c

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6F-jyrSBgg

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
    MetalGear and NickB like this.