The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

NOTABLE! Billionaire Ray Dalio: Meditation is ‘the single most important reason' for my success

Wiggly0607

Bronze Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
May 1, 2013
Ohio
Didn't see it listed here, but the best book on mindfulness and meditation that I've read is titled, "Buddha's Brain" by Rick Hanson, Ph.D. Does a great job of explaining the neuro underpinnings in a way that won't make you lose interest. Recommend it to everyone.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Thinh

Contributor
Aug 11, 2018
I went to the TM center once in my city and never went through with it. I went to an intro class. Its something that I have wanted to do for over 15 years, and never have done it. Its good to hear about all of the success people have had with it.

Lately, I have experienced a lot of business stress; my last company was bought out in a hostile takeover and my office(which I led) was closed, and I have just left a high stress, extremely negative environment I am happy to be away from now.

I have used Headspace a lot. Back in the 90's when I started with meditation, I learned from a book written in the 70's, which taught me to count my breaths. I would count every exhale up to 4, and repeat. e.g. exhale 1, exhale 2, exhale 3, exhale 4, repeat.

Headspace and 'mindfulness' is hard for me to do. My mind wanders, I am easily distracted, I fall asleep. I may go back to the breath counting, or look back into TM.
Just a quick tip: being distracted and having your mind wandering is totally normal. The most important (and probably only ) thing is to "catch yourself" and gently go back to focusing on your breath or sounds or whatever helps you stay focused on the present.

Also, I've seen people talking about doing it for 20 minutes. You don't have to. That's actually quite contradictory to the purpose of meditation. You can do it 5 minutes, or even just one minute. The purpose of meditation, if there is one, is to appreciate the process in itself, not achieve a result like "having done 20 minutes of meditation."

Even meditating in hope of reducing stress is detrimental.

There's this talk from Alan Watts which I personally find incredible. He compares meditation to dance or music. He talks about other things but the topic of meditation starts at 2:40, although I strongly suggest listening to the whole video. It's a whopping 12 minutes long.

jesseissorude

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jun 12, 2014
Nashville
"Buddha's Brain" by Rick Hanson, Ph.D
Thanks! Just added it to my to-read list.

Two that really helped me are:

Wherever you Go, There You Are by John Kabat-Zinn
Going to Pieces Without Falling Apart by Dr. Mark Epstein

If you only read one of the two, go for Dr. Epstein's book. He makes vipassana meditation extremely relatable to western psychology and strips out all the woo woo.

handog

Believing Is Seeing
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Sep 3, 2018
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
I'll add a vote for Lloyd Glauberman and his HPP cd's. It works a bit differently, but two competing threads of storytelling that happen on both sides (left and right) instantaneously allow the suggestions to go right in.

Seems to work for me as long as I'm in habit with running the meditations.

HPP: Download Hypnosis, Self Help & Meditation CDs - Dr. Lloyd Glauberman

mindfulimmortal

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas
Just a quick tip: being distracted and having your mind wandering is totally normal. The most important (and probably only ) thing is to "catch yourself" and gently go back to focusing on your breath or sounds or whatever helps you stay focused on the present.

Also, I've seen people talking about doing it for 20 minutes. You don't have to. That's actually quite contradictory to the purpose of meditation. You can do it 5 minutes, or even just one minute. The purpose of meditation, if there is one, is to appreciate the process in itself, not achieve a result like "having done 20 minutes of meditation."

Even meditating in hope of reducing stress is detrimental.

There's this talk from Alan Watts which I personally find incredible. He compares meditation to dance or music. He talks about other things but the topic of meditation starts at 2:40, although I strongly suggest listening to the whole video. It's a whopping 12 minutes long.

FYI - 20 minutes is the "optimal" time much like 8hrs of sleep is the general recommended time. Is 10 or 15 minutes good - Yes. Is 60 minutes good - Yes. I did some research on why TM recommends 20 minutes and it is scientific based not simply someone's opinion. Basically the first 5-10 minutes is much like your bodies sleep patterns. It allows your mind and body to relax. The next 10 minutes (give or take a few minutes) is where the most "value" is derived. If you only have 15 minutes then that is better than none. The last thing you want is meditation to cause you more stress. TM has been studied at more "clinic" such as the (Mayo clinic, Cleveland Clinic) based institutions than most meditation techniques. TM is used for veterans with PTSD as well as other mental health issues.

Olimac21

Silver Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Dec 3, 2015
Belo Horizonte, Brasil
Thanks! Just added it to my to-read list.

Two that really helped me are:

Wherever you Go, There You Are by John Kabat-Zinn
Going to Pieces Without Falling Apart by Dr. Mark Epstein

If you only read one of the two, go for Dr. Epstein's book. He makes vipassana meditation extremely relatable to western psychology and strips out all the woo woo.
Miracle of Mindfulness is very good too.

Thinh

Contributor
Aug 11, 2018
Yes. I did some research on why TM recommends 20 minutes and it is scientific based not simply someone's opinion. Basically the first 5-10 minutes is much like your bodies sleep patterns. It allows your mind and body to relax. The next 10 minutes (give or take a few minutes) is where the most "value" is derived.
20 minutes is good.
But 2 minutes is no less "good".

I point that out because it's exactly what made a difference for me. The first time I tried meditation, I gave up because it felt a hassle, justly because I felt "obliged" to do it for a minimum amount of time.

When I discovered this concept of not giving a damn about how long you meditate, that's when I embraced it with consistency. And now I regularly do 15-20 minutes, but it comes naturally. Had I kept aiming at 20 minutes, I wouldn't be meditating daily as I do today.

But the most important thing, and that's really my point, is that wanting to derive value from meditation is exactly what one shouldn't seek for in meditation.

mindfulimmortal

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas
20 minutes is good.
But 2 minutes is no less "good".

I point that out because it's exactly what made a difference for me. The first time I tried meditation, I gave up because it felt a hassle, justly because I felt "obliged" to do it for a minimum amount of time.

When I discovered this concept of not giving a damn about how long you meditate, that's when I embraced it with consistency. And now I regularly do 15-20 minutes, but it comes naturally. Had I kept aiming at 20 minutes, I wouldn't be meditating daily as I do today.

But the most important thing, and that's really my point, is that wanting to derive value from meditation is exactly what one shouldn't seek for in meditation.
All good considerations. Everyone is different so I can only speak from what works for me. I am heavily biased for TM as I have tried many other methods and the holy grail was TM for me. Everybody in my TM sessions has said the same thing in that they have tried other methods but this was the first thing that gave them good results and quickly. Appreciate the conversation Thinh

G. Wellthy

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Jul 21, 2018
The Waking Up App by Sam Harris
- changed my relationship with meditation
- made me eager to try to be better
- provided insights that helped fill the gaps of the philosophy of mindfulness.

And now finding a meditating cadence has been the single best personal development achievement while really finding my fulfilled life.

Can not recommend learning to meditate with any greater conviction.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe to become an INSIDER.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom