• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

NOTABLE! Billionaire Ray Dalio: Meditation is ‘the single most important reason' for my success

Discussion in 'General Mindset, Motivation, Beliefs' started by ChrisV, Oct 23, 2018.

1. luniac

luniac Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $12,086
    To paraphrase Alan Watts "the buddha said you must let go of desire, so now you desire to let go of desire lol..."

SteveO likes this.
  2. Primeperiwinkle

Primeperiwinkle Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $4,275
    There’s a book called The Sedona Method that was helpful for me, especially the part about whatever you fear is what you want to happen because that’s the identity (victim of ___) you’re most comfortable with.

I wanna see Ayanle’s update but I can’t tag him.

SteveO likes this.
  3. Ninjakid

Ninjakid Platinum Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $12,061
    Let me remind everyone, I've been using meditation since I was 17, and I'm 25 now. So safe to say I know A LITTLE about this topic and what works for me.

I agree with this. That's why I do this type of meditation for about 10-15 minutes a day, not much more than that.

I disagree with this. Most people are not actively engaged in their life. If people were present, and their mind was focused on their actions, there wouldn't be an epidemic of mental illness.

This is very interesting. I didn't know that, but in a way it's not surprising. You brain and body responds to repetition.

This is interesting because Tibetan Buddhists actually use mindfulness meditation, rather than the empty-mind meditation used in Zen.

The whole philosophy around Tibetan Buddhism is to visualize yourself as the Buddha, rather than the Zen approach which is clear your mind and you will feel the Buddha nature.

My theory is that most people are doing mindfulness wrong.

Sorry, I literally have no time or interest in reading anymore books these days.

THat's interesting, I haven't heard of this practice before. I think everyone has something that works for them.

I understand this. I've studied Zen quite thoroughly, trying the meditation practices and reading scripts and such. But the thing is, you have to spend A LOT of time in zazen meditation to get to this point. Zen monks do sitting meditation for many hours a day, and even they believe enlightenment is unlikely in one lifetime.

Some people have remarkable results for themselves doing this, but I just find for me it's not very constructive. I use it when I need to practice emptying my mind, but I can't do it for hours on end.

EDIT: @luniac I didn't mean to shoot down your book recommendation by the way, thanks for it. I just meant I don't read much anymore, and I have a few books I'm trying to get through right now, so I likely won't end up reading it anytime soon lol. But if I wanna share excerpts from the book with me, feel free to message me anytime!

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
    SteveO likes this.
  4. luniac

luniac Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $12,086
    I agree with u about the engagement, i meant sort of like most people think they're engaged but they're not really engaged.
    If everyone is sick then noone is sick right.

The book actually theorizes that Mindfulness was originally invented as a pathway to the Empty Mind.
    Basically mindfulness is not supposed to be the end goal, unlike the way its taught today.

The book mentions several ancient texts specifically mentioning an "Empty" mind, from the Hindu stuff to the Chinese Tao stuff.

It's all good bout not reading the book lol, the website actually summarizes it good enough in the articles.

5. MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco Raving Lunatic Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $386,698
    Admin Post
    Upgraded to NOTABLE, tons of discussion and links to different practices.

Ninjakid likes this.
  6. adiakritos

adiakritos Bronze Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $1,073
    Where can I find that quote from Ray? Also, does it say what type he practices? Just the name will suffice. Thanks.

7. Ninjakid

Rep Bank:
    $12,061
    Yeah, that's what I got from mindfulness too. You're not really supposed to get attached to the thoughts, you're supposed to be aware of what's going on in your mind, and see yourself as the Witness Behind The Mind.

I think many people practice mindfulness as a form of overthinking and it ends up being opposite of the desired effect. The Tibetan monks probably understand the correct way to practice.

And I definitely agree that having a clear mind is a worthy goal. Every thought brings a person that much closer to anxiety. There's no point of attaining ay worldly success if your mind is constantly clouded in thought.

In fact, I think a person is self-actualized when they're free of worried thoughts, and are able to express their true selves and offer their innermost gifts to the world.

Zhan Zhuang meditation is probably really good because it activates your body as well as clearing your mind, giving you more physical energy to go about your life.

I might check out the book though because it sounds interesting, I'll probably check out the site too!

8. luniac

Rep Bank:
    $12,086
    yea man zhan zhuang is awesome, its like standing zen. The physical aspect made me a lot better at my sport cause i learned how to move my body more properly.
    It's actually the first step in traditional internal martial arts.

9. Ninjakid

Rep Bank:
    $12,061
    This is something I would have more interest in because I'd actually be using my body so like you said, it would improve coordination and make me better at sport.

luniac likes this.
  10. Ninjakid

Rep Bank:
    $12,061
    I'm actually forgetting to mention this:

I've had some really trippy moments while doing sitting meditation. I felt like I was accessing different dimensions and leaving my body at times. When I'd come out of it, the world would almost almost seem like it wasn't real, like a dream state.

If I did that everyday for several hours, I'm not sure I would even be the same person...

luniac likes this.
  11. jesseissorude

jesseissorude Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,166
    I started Unscripted this morning (I know, I know :wideyed:) and in the early chapters, MJ says:
    That made me immediately think of this thread.
    It really feels like people are afraid to be left alone with their thoughts.
    I know I fall into that trap.

Action for me: 5 mins meditation every morning to build the habit.

Duane likes this.
  12. rogue synthetic

rogue synthetic * Not actually Rutger Hauer Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $6,132
    If you didn't find value in it, it wasn't for you. Forget it, have a nice day, and move on without the ego.

You know. Zen.

Right?

(Consistency in belief and action means more than words.)

13. azt3k

azt3k New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $67
    What an awesome thread so far!

I'd been vacillating between several articles, quotes, tips and tricks on an optimal mediation practice for some time and finally decided to pick up The Miracle of Mindfulness by Thich Nhat Hanh.

While I must admit I'm definitely a novice when it comes to the actual practice of meditation, a mere few pages into this book and I already have experienced the benefits of some of the simple exercises (like working to synchronize the length of your exhalation with that of your inhalation).

14. Matt Dassel

Matt Dassel New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $78
    There might be too much hype on mediation, I believe.

I've come to notice that, in the mind, having laser piercing, sociopathic focus is a very similar experience to meditation when you feel your own breath.

Which is the focus you want to crush it.

But also more likely, is that, Ray Dalio made his money charging fees in the industry rather than beating stock indexes each year.

15. luniac

Rep Bank:
    $12,086
    A mild version of that happened to me when doing the wim hof breathing method, felt like i sort of left my body, but only briefly.

However I do lose track of time when standing, the 1 hour alarm tends to ring when i feel im at around 35-40 minutes.

Ninjakid likes this.
  16. momomaurice

momomaurice Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,240
    I've starting meditating since I read the Miracle Morning in October last year. It has helped me a lot. I feel more calm and when I'm meditating I often get a good idea in my head about something I should be doing in my business.

I recommend the book Headspace if you want to learn more about meditating and how to do it properly.

17. William

William J Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $823
    Almost done this book. Fantastic! I’ve read Power of Now and I like A New Earth better as well. I will read it over again.

I realized by reading this book and listening to Tolle, how challenging it is to:

1. Stay in, accept, and not resist the moment
    2. Not judge and label things

I’m slowly becoming more aware of when I’m identifying with my mind and emotions - thus making me more present. Becoming aware of my awareness is keeping me grounded. This is a continual process and it’s empowering. I have much more energy from somewhere deep.

In the past, I’ve struggled with strong identification with my emotions and thoughts. Now, I observe those things, accept that a feeling or thought may exist, then let it subside. Some moments are more challenging than others - but I also know that my presence/awareness is growing.

I’ve meditated consistently for years now - using a technique from Dr. Robert Anthony.

Sometimes, I feel a bit boxed in with meditation. You know - sit down - close eyes - do this or that. But that’s me though. I know TM works for a lot of people. Haven’t tried it.

I’ve had some drama in my life and strong identification with my mind replaying events or beliefs - Tolle’s teaching has been the most effective/practical for me.

1. Mind goes into whatever thought or story
    2. Observe it - realize you are not your thoughts, emotions, life situation, etc. but the awareness.
    3. Honor what is, the moment, accept it - don’t resist
    4. Great presence will emanate.

That has been my form of meditation.

Oprah has a great series with Tolle called Super Soul Conversations - look it up on Spotify or Apple podcast. They just finished the series. Episode 10 - the last one - is fantastic.

Also check this out. Warning: Tolle talks sloooow. His laugh is awkward but funny as ever haha. All that said, he is effective at communicating his points:

View: https://youtu.be/A1kwBuEr7y4

socaldude likes this.
  18. socaldude

socaldude Platinum Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $11,322
    Meditation is kind of like going to the gym. We know it's good for you and the evidence says it will improve your well-being. And yet people don't do it and are very resistant to it.

Just to kind of sell people on it, meditation gives you an insight to your inner life. It brings awareness to the very emotional and thought nexuses that hold you back in life.

Look how 99% of our world lives. No self-awareness and zero self-reflection. We direct our attention outward way too much. If it's true that the kingdom of heaven exists within then nobody will ever find it because we are too busy looking outward instead of inward.

The other day I was at a parking lot and these two ladies were lashing out at each other over a stupid parking spot.

Anything by Osho is a good start.

Bradley R and Kingmaker like this.
  19. Bradley R

Bradley R New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $87
    I used to be in the anti-meditation camp and think it was all "woo-woo" b.s., but as I started following successful people I realized so many of them talked about how big of a role meditation/visualization played in their success. When I see a trend like that by successful people, I tend to give it credibility. Then I went to a big self-development seminar and that is what really turned me onto the idea of meditation/priming and I have made it an important part of my day since. It has been extremely useful in clearing my head and prioritizing, particularly because I spend a lot of time in my own head with the brain going 100mph.

My question for everyone out there though is this: what helps you get into the "best" meditative state? I find sometimes I'm able to get much deeper into than others. The only correlation I've been able to see is that getting into an excited/energized physical/mental state helps me sink deeper. For example, post-workout or after listening and dancing to high energy music I'm able to sink into a much deeper meditation. Anyone else notice this? It's like higher your energy before the deeper you can go during

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.