The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Advice needed from fellow fastlaners!

Illusion

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2%
Sep 2, 2011
Montreal
Hey guys,

Ive been working on an idea I had for a while.

Being in the real estate business for a little while (real estate broker), Ive become quite familiar with the system us brokers use to search and post listings. (MLS system)

The specific software that my real estate board uses happens to be the same software as many other real estate boards use making my potential market a decent size.

After being frustrated at the way some functions worked, I developed an add-on for this software that adds a huge benefit, allows me to save hours a day, and has become indispensable to me.

After showing this add on to a few other people in the industry, including some real estate professors, other brokers, agency owners, etc. I realized then a lot of them had a huge interest in it and would definitely be willing to pay for this add on. In fact, the professor at one of the real estate schools asked me if id be willing to let the school use it to help out the real estate students.

I would like to create a company and market this add on to all the agencies and brokers who belong to the real estate boards that use this specific MLS system.

My question:

Considering that I do not own the MLS system used, can I legally sell this add on? would I need to acquire some sort of license? would I be better off licensing this idea to the company that owns the MLS system?

I do not know where to go from here. The add on is working and functional and works extremely well. I can do in 1 hour what should be taking 10-15 hours.

Keep in mind, the company that owns this MLS system is a 1.5 Billion dollar company that is publicly traded.

So... What to do? I dont know how to advance from here.

Fellow fastlaners i need your advice !:cheers:

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Brander

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Jun 3, 2011
Australia, USA, Europe
It's probably better to ask the source, but congrats on testing the market. Do the MLS system owners actually own the software you are talking about (for which you crated an add-on)? Are there other add-ons present in the market for this software? How likely is it that if you talked to the MLS owners or software owners they'd replicate the add-on in a few days? Is there anything you can patent and then approach them? It's a tough one without more information...

In the meantime, just sell the crap out of the thing to anyone that has expressed a desire to have it.

James Fake

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 4, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
I'd agree with everything roark said. Check for others selling add-ons and see how they are legally doing. and in the meantime; sell the crap out of it to the locals..

Illusion

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2%
Sep 2, 2011
Montreal
It's probably better to ask the source, but congrats on testing the market. Do the MLS system owners actually own the software you are talking about (for which you crated an add-on)? Are there other add-ons present in the market for this software? How likely is it that if you talked to the MLS owners or software owners they'd replicate the add-on in a few days? Is there anything you can patent and then approach them? It's a tough one without more information...

In the meantime, just sell the crap out of the thing to anyone that has expressed a desire to have it.

This is the MLS system I am talking about.

http://www.marketlinx.com/solutions/matrix/matrix.asp

Yes they actually own it, and there are presently no add ons that I could find. If Id show them there is a possibility they replicate the add on or just build it into there software although it would take longer then a few days. I do not want to sell it locally either for the moment because im not even sure if that's legal.

I dont even know who to see at this point :S

Illusion

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2%
Sep 2, 2011
Montreal
What's the license on the software?

I have no clue.

My problem is that I know a lot about the system it self, but when it comes to licenses and so forth for software im a complete noobie. Im in process of reading one simple idea, but doesnt really help much.

How would I find out more about the types of licences and which that software has?

jgearheart

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Jan 20, 2012
Going to their "Legal" link would be a good start and doesn't seem to leave you much wiggle room.

5. Authorized Use of Website Services.

CoreLogic grants you a fully revocable, non-exclusive license to use the Services and view and print documents or information obtained on the website, subject to the following terms and conditions:

a. The documents or information may be used by you solely for informational purposes and will not be distributed to others who are not acting for you.

b. You will not charge any fee to any person in connection with the Services and information obtained by you on the website.

c. The Services or information obtained on the website will not be modified by you in any way.

d. You will not use the website to sell a product or service or to increase traffic to a website for commercial reasons. You will not take elements of the website and reformat or display them, or mirror them on another website.

e. All copyright or other proprietary notices that appear on the website or the materials downloaded or printed from the Website, will appear on any copy of the document or portion that you make.

f. CoreLogic reserves the right to revoke this license at any time. You agree that you and any person to whom you distribute the Services or information will immediately discontinue any use of the Services or information upon notice of revocation. If revocation occurs in connection with a subscription service, CoreLogic will refund the pro rata unused portion of your subscription fee following such revocation.

The license granted by CoreLogic does not include the layout or design of the website or logos, graphics, sounds, or images on the website. Elements of the website are protected by copyright, trade dress, or other laws and will not be imitated in whole or in part.

8. Intellectual Property Notices.

All images, text, sound, photos, custom graphics, button icons, the collection and compilation and assembly, and the overall “look and feel” and distinctiveness of the website constitute trade dress and the property of CoreLogic. The absence on the website of a CoreLogic product or service name, slogan, or logo does not constitute a waiver of CoreLogic's trademark or other intellectual property rights relating to such name or logo. All other product names, company names, marks, logos, and symbols appearing on the website may be the trademarks and the property of their respective owners.

You agree that the Services available on the website are protected by copyrights, trademarks, service marks, patents, trade secrets, or other proprietary rights and laws. Except as expressly authorized by CoreLogic, either in these Terms of Use or otherwise, you agree not to sell, license, rent, modify, distribute, copy, reproduce, transmit, publicly display, publicly perform, publish, adapt, edit, or create derivative works from the information, services, or products. As noted in these Terms of Use, you may print or download information or products from the website for your own use, provided that you keep intact all copyright and other proprietary notices. Systematic retrieval of information, Services or products from the website to create or compile, directly or indirectly, a collection, compilation, database, or directory without written permission from CoreLogic is prohibited. In addition, use of the information, Services, or products for any purpose not expressly permitted in these Terms of Use is prohibited. For information on requesting such permission, please contact CoreLogic at 4 First American Way, Santa Ana, California 92707, Attention: Legal Department.

Your best bet may be to approach the company and try to sell them your idea.

InMotion

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Mar 18, 2011
Is there anything you can patent and then approach them? It's a tough one without more information...

This...

I'm not a lawyer, but get someone to actually pay for it first and see what they offer. There are a few posts about this on the forum. As far as I know, only algorithms are patent-able in software related business; granted this is not my area. In the patent world, if you actually sell something before you file for a patent then it can become void. Maybe you could offer it as a trial for free and see what the response is.

Need to pm someone and explain in detail. The intricacies in software publishing is, I believe, what you seek.

Illusion

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2%
Sep 2, 2011
Montreal
If only I had someone to PM.

Ill try to get a provisional patent for what I can, then I think Ill approach a company I know already deals with them but is based in my city. This is a tough one, but i definitely wont give up.

Noel

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
Jan 6, 2012
In terms of applying for protection please get that first! You can file yourself free with a little help from odesk lawyer (Make sure you have signed protection before discussing with a lawyer)! Get protection in place before you go having any conversations with them. You have a window of opportunity before filing completely I know here in the UK it gives you about 8-9months protection while you forge ahead with deals. The add on opportunity would be a huge market for you and I think you can do this yourself. It sounds like you are a bit hesitant in taking this step? You can also find developers that are willing to do the work and take a cut of the proceeds once it is in the market place. If you are really struggling trying to find someone reliable just message me. I am just working on a project similiar re add ons etc. ps tip: You can use a lawyer say in Spain that is a lot cheaper than US and then convert the info it may be cheaper this route. I have just had to to do this for a licensing agreement and then paid in UK to convert to UK law.

Illusion

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2%
Sep 2, 2011
Montreal
So after going through some lawyers, we have come to the following conclusions:

Everything is legal except 1 big point, which I must approch my real estate board for permission.

This is a bit of a catch 22, because of the following. If they turn us down, it basically kills the potential of this idea to make money legally. If they do how ever approve it, it will become a partner product and will be backed by the real estate board making it easier to market and sell.

We have 2 agencies interested in adopting this program for their agents so far (out of 2 approached) which is almost 200 clients to start.

The people who have seen this really want it and are willing to pay.

My problems:

Im not experienced in this game and im not sure if im truly prepared for a meeting like this.

It doesnt seem like there is much we can patent or copyright apart from the algorithms which can be easily changed anyways.

CPisHere

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Sep 17, 2011
Louisiana
Are real estate boards local? If you give them a slice of the action there's no reason they wouldn't approve you. This idea has a ton of potential - don't sabotage yourself because you feel unprepared. You will learn and grow as you go.

Illusion

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2%
Sep 2, 2011
Montreal
Real estate boards vary by area, state or province for the most part. The issue is that they are usually non-profit organizations. They usually adopt something if it is for the greater benefit of their members. In this case I would be saving their members 10 hours+ a week each (12,000 members just in Quebec). The other problems how ever are that I need permission to scrape part of the members only section, and the bureaucracy of these boards is crazy.

I want to use my local board as a pilot, and once I get their approval, expand into bigger real estate boards such as Ontario, and of course the Unites States.

I'm polishing up the look of the add-on and ill post some with and without screen shots!

cliqflip

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Feb 21, 2012
Orange County
What does your add-on do? I just got out of real estate and would love to hear what exactly it does.

in California we have to log-on online and use it as a webpage - will the addon still work for this?

Illusion

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2%
Sep 2, 2011
Montreal
Im pretty sure California uses Matrix, and it is as you say a webpage which you log into.

send me a PM and we can chat on Skype or Google chat and ill show you what it does, as well as give you a free trial soon ;)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.