Hey guys,
Ive been working on an idea I had for a while.
Being in the real estate business for a little while (real estate broker), Ive become quite familiar with the system us brokers use to search and post listings. (MLS system)
The specific software that my real estate board uses happens to be the same software as many other real estate boards use making my potential market a decent size.
After being frustrated at the way some functions worked, I developed an add-on for this software that adds a huge benefit, allows me to save hours a day, and has become indispensable to me.
After showing this add on to a few other people in the industry, including some real estate professors, other brokers, agency owners, etc. I realized then a lot of them had a huge interest in it and would definitely be willing to pay for this add on. In fact, the professor at one of the real estate schools asked me if id be willing to let the school use it to help out the real estate students.
I would like to create a company and market this add on to all the agencies and brokers who belong to the real estate boards that use this specific MLS system.
My question:
Considering that I do not own the MLS system used, can I legally sell this add on? would I need to acquire some sort of license? would I be better off licensing this idea to the company that owns the MLS system?
I do not know where to go from here. The add on is working and functional and works extremely well. I can do in 1 hour what should be taking 10-15 hours.
Keep in mind, the company that owns this MLS system is a 1.5 Billion dollar company that is publicly traded.
So... What to do? I dont know how to advance from here.
Fellow fastlaners i need your advice !:cheers:
Ive been working on an idea I had for a while.
Being in the real estate business for a little while (real estate broker), Ive become quite familiar with the system us brokers use to search and post listings. (MLS system)
The specific software that my real estate board uses happens to be the same software as many other real estate boards use making my potential market a decent size.
After being frustrated at the way some functions worked, I developed an add-on for this software that adds a huge benefit, allows me to save hours a day, and has become indispensable to me.
After showing this add on to a few other people in the industry, including some real estate professors, other brokers, agency owners, etc. I realized then a lot of them had a huge interest in it and would definitely be willing to pay for this add on. In fact, the professor at one of the real estate schools asked me if id be willing to let the school use it to help out the real estate students.
I would like to create a company and market this add on to all the agencies and brokers who belong to the real estate boards that use this specific MLS system.
My question:
Considering that I do not own the MLS system used, can I legally sell this add on? would I need to acquire some sort of license? would I be better off licensing this idea to the company that owns the MLS system?
I do not know where to go from here. The add on is working and functional and works extremely well. I can do in 1 hour what should be taking 10-15 hours.
Keep in mind, the company that owns this MLS system is a 1.5 Billion dollar company that is publicly traded.
So... What to do? I dont know how to advance from here.
Fellow fastlaners i need your advice !:cheers:
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
