The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Actions Speak Louder than Words

Anything related to matters of the mind

Chaseb731

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Oct 8, 2011
While I do not post a lot here, I am an extremely active user of this forum. I spend my time absorbing information and offer active and valid input where I feel I can add value. Most of you probably do not know me, I hope I can offer some insight into my mindset with this post.

I have noticed over that past few months that there has been an increase in the amount of threads that contain phrases such as “I’m going to…”, “I will do…”, “I will be a billionaire…”, and many more similar titles.

During these past few years as an up and coming entrepreneur, I have had my fair share of mentors. Some more successful than others, but one lesson rang true more than anything else from each of them. That lesson has been drilled into me continuously since day 1.

Actions speak louder than words. Generally we see people start their progress threads extremely excited and ready to take on the world. We also see these same people fall off the map after a weeks / months. They talk about what they are going to do, how successful they are going to become, what type of Lamborghini they should get, or how they will become a billionaire within 3 years.

While I encourage optimism and looking to the future, let your actions speak for themselves. Keep a journal, and once you get far enough into your journey, you can post it up for review and feedback. While you do lose the real time feedback, you are not stopped from asking specific questions about issues you encounter and possible solutions to these questions.

I have even been guilty of posting these threads and having them fall out after a few months, but as my mindset of this idea that actions speak louder than words shifted, I tend to try and offer value and contribute with everything that I share on this forum, while sharing select experiences in select threads.

Do you agree, disagree, or have something to add? Please share your own experiences with this matter.

I apologize if this has been posted before, but I still see it happening. I motivated me to post my own views on it. Please excuse any grammar errors, it is 2:15 am here and I am still going strong.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
Yes.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

^^^ LOL...

Great line I heard a while ago:

"Tell me what you've done, and I'll tell you who your are."

Last edited:

Kid Money

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
229%
Mar 1, 2012
Agreed. But in all honesty.... There are just as many threads like this as there are other ones. So basically you wrote a long post saying actions speak louder than words..... But yet you haven't provided any "action" or results.. And just "words"... I'm truthfully just giving you my honest feedback and I swear I'm not trying to be a dick or even fired up. Just sayin'. It cracks me up when people post like this because it's almost like it's just as big of a "look at me" as the person posting the other post ( I have one ) but regardless even if I hadn't posted that I would still look at this the same. People can say what they want about those posts and I'm sure I'm a "wantrepreneur" to a lot of people who have made a hell of a lot less $ and taken a lot less action than I have in my ventures.

So basically your thoughts:

People should lay off posting their goals and aspirations and only take action. "Let the business talk" type stuff...

...but on the other end you didn't provide anything.

It doesn't make you any more or less successful just because you take a different approach. Some people take the quiet humble route and some take the loud route. I know guys that make 100k that take the humble route thinking that they are right, and I know a guy that sold his software company and had military contracts for 250M that is obnoxious and takes the other route. Personally I think it's in the eye of the beholder.

Of course everyone is going to love the humble guy... That's life.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
But in all honesty.... There are just as many threads like this as there are other ones. So basically you wrote a long post saying actions speak louder than words..... But yet you haven't provided any "action" or results.. And just "words".
This. Agree 100%.

Chaseb731

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Oct 8, 2011
Agreed. But in all honesty.... There are just as many threads like this as there are other ones. So basically you wrote a long post saying actions speak louder than words..... But yet you haven't provided any "action" or results.. And just "words"... I'm truthfully just giving you my honest feedback and I swear I'm not trying to be a dick or even fired up. Just sayin'. It cracks me up when people post like this because it's almost like it's just as big of a "look at me" as the person posting the other post ( I have one ) but regardless even if I hadn't posted that I would still look at this the same. People can say what they want about those posts and I'm sure I'm a "wantrepreneur" to a lot of people who have made a hell of a lot less $ and taken a lot less action than I have in my ventures.

People should lay off posting their goals and aspirations and only take action. "Let the business talk" type stuff...

It doesn't make you any more or less successful just because you take a different approach. Some people take the quiet humble route and some take the loud route. I know guys that make 100k that take the humble route thinking that they are right, and I know a guy that sold his software company and had military contracts for 250M that is obnoxious and takes the other route. Personally I think it's in the eye of the beholder.

Thanks for the feedback.

I guess it's a matter of perspective. This is more focused on those that say I'm going to be a billionaire in 3 years, or something along the lines where they aren't really taking any action at all. I do see where you are coming from in regards to your own progress threads, and there will always be exception to the rules for progress threads. Just take a look at Vick, Likwid, etc.

My main focus was on offering a bit of perspective to those that I feel could use it.

There is nothing wrong with posting aspirations and goals, but it seems like these days the more mature / active forum members really jump at those that post about insane goals such as Billionaire posts or what color their Lambo should be, rather than just ignore those posts.

If I can help a few people think twice about their posts like those I listed above, I feel the forum would be better for it.

Mike Kavanagh

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Aug 17, 2013
This is more focused on those that say I'm going to be a billionaire in 3 years, or something along the lines where they aren't really taking any action at all. I do see where you are coming from in regards to your own progress threads, and there will always be exception to the rules for progress threads. Just take a look at Vick, Likwid, etc.
It's a bit of attention whoring. They post some outrageous number and expect people to ooo and ahh at it. In reality it just sets people's bullshit monitor off.

I said it before, everyone is a narcissist on some level.

Ubermensch

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 7, 2008
Chicago

50 Cent - a guy who is worth around $400,000,000.00 X $0.50, made an interesting observation on this subject.

Watch 5:30 - 6:00. A fresh fighter walks into the gym. Before he can throw a punch, before he can jump rope, before he can dance around the ring like a true champ, his coach is calling him champ. He's making grand declarations to himself. He tells himself that he is better than Ali. He tells himself that he can beat Mayweather.

The same phenomenon can be seen on the Fastlane, where members use monikers and descriptions such as "rich kid," "most dominant person on the internet," "the next trump," and even Ubermensch. In a way, it's a psychological game you play on your own mind, kind of like faking it until you make it.

Just as Fifty analogizes a rapper to a fighter, you can analogize a rapper's mentality to the entrepreneur's mindset. In Kendrick Lamar's verse above (listen to 4:45 -6:00), he throws punches scored as knockouts by the hiphop community. In the verse, Kendrick essentially says apart from Eminem, Jay-Z, Nas, and Andre 3000, he's going after all of the other rappers. In one fell swoop, he swings at Drake, Meek Mill, Pusha T, Mac Miller and others.

In the interview above, right after Eminem stresses the point that he doesn't sit around twiddling his thumbs on twitter ("all I do is rap"), he says that he loves what Kendrick did with the control verse, as it continues the essence of hip hop.

I think hip hop culture represents, in a way, an extreme version of what goes on in the real world and even on this site. There are lots of people trying to "make it big," and only a few of us do. One guy might talk a big game, and make grand declarations that either annoy or inspire readers.

Being an entrepreneur, freeing yourself from the Matrix, is hard work. It involves walking down the road less traveled, staying course even when you stumble, getting up after you fall down, and heightening your determination whenever the world throws shit at you to slow you down. Sometimes, a site like this is all an aspiring star has, because on a site like this, you find kindred spirits, and like-minded people who fight the same fight and struggle with similar struggles.

Actions do speak louder than words, but just because someone is using words doesn't mean it's logical to say that he's not capable of acting to back up those words... nor does it mean that he has already done what is necessary to back up those words. If you doubt this, try walking into an MMA gym and picking a fight with the guy who talks the most shit. That could get very ugly. Very fast.

Last edited:

JPHerrmann

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
210%
Dec 20, 2014
I would much rather see more threads regarding ones personal optimism for success, but based on their past accomplishments. Atleast if we understand their past accomplishments, we can provide advice on how to direct their talents. Ultimately, it is pertinent that we pursue our goals of satisfaction in life, which a successful career in the field of their talent will yield. Too often I see one with the goal to achieve "X" amount of money within "X" amount of time. This mindset will lead to failure. Stop thinking that life is all about money and ferrari's.... all that says is you are too simple minded to ever become an educated and respected success....

Ubermensch

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 7, 2008
Chicago
I would much rather see more threads regarding ones personal optimism for success, but based on their past accomplishments. Atleast if we understand their past accomplishments, we can provide advice on how to direct their talents. Ultimately, it is pertinent that we pursue our goals of satisfaction in life, which a successful career in the field of their talent will yield. Too often I see one with the goal to achieve "X" amount of money within "X" amount of time. This mindset will lead to failure. Stop thinking that life is all about money and ferrari's.... all that says is you are too simple minded to ever become an educated and respected success....

This post is a tad ironic.

I have spent a lot of time studying how wealth is generated, particularly in the United States. It seems to me that you have two types of "successes" in America.

One is the "traditional" millionaire. This is the millionaire described in Thomas J. Stanley's books. The average millionaire is in his mid-fifties, married, owns a home, and is most likely a small-medium-sized business owner, or a doctor or lawyer. The net worth is $1M -$3M, and the income is $150,000 -$350,000. These are rough numbers, and the exact ones can easily be found with a little research or cracking open Stanley's Millionaire Mind.

Then there is the "Fast Lane." This millionaire is probably under 50, maybe under 40 and maybe even under 30. This millionaire is aimed at something more than mediocre success (not to insult the success of hard-working "Stanley-type" entrepreneurs everywhere).

It is this younger mindset that I has intrigued and inspired me for years, and it is the mindset expressed most fiercely in hip hop music.

Listening to and looking at the lyrics in the following songs reveals a spirit oozing and overflowing with Nouvea Riche glory.

Song: I Like It
Artists: Meek Mill & Mac Miller

Interpretation in bold...

[Hook: Meek Mill]
I was f*cked up, but bitch I'm back
(He wasn't where he wanted to be in life, but he hustled hard and got to where he wanted and needed to be).
I wasn't in the club ho cause I was in the trap
(He wasn't out partying, because he was working hard to make millions. Forbes noticed.)
I see you show me love, you ain't like when I was down
(Classic Meek Mill. He's pointing out that people doubted and hated on him when he didn't have money, which is undoubtedly one of the reasons he went so hard in the first place. Lol. Now look at him.)
Now, I'm stuntin' on them hoes bitch, how you like me now. bitch?
(Best line in the entire song)
How you like me now?
(Middle fingers up.)
I tell 'em how you like me now?
Cause I be shinin' like a diamond, I got money in my pocket
(He's referring to the beautiful things money buys, like diamonds, (<<---- link) that his haters can't buy. His doubters can't afford a diamond bracelet, because it costs more than their annual salary. So, he wears them to make a point, to rub it in their face.)
I don't even have to press, I see it, like it, I'ma cop it, oh!
I see it, like it, I'ma cop it, oh!
(Like Nikki Minaj said, "I mean, who even checks the price tag, you know"?)

[Verse 2: Mac Miller]

Comin' through the city, up in Philly, out with Meek
(Mac is from Pennsylvania, just like Meek)
Make a hunnit every week so now I'm stuntin' like a Sheikh
(The kid is making $100,000 per week from performances and other hustles. If you're like me, that's more than both parents made in an entire year.

[Intro: Meek Mill]
R.I.P to all the young niggas that couldn't make it here
Ain't no love in the summertime

[Hook: All Steezy]
I'm kinda hot right now
I think I'll let the clock wind down
We must've hit the finish line, cause
Ain't no love in the summertime (x7)

[Verse 1: Meek Mill]
Where young niggas dying for a pair of number nine
Jordans,
They got it scorching on the other side
Ever see a nigga get murdered and see his mother cry
Prolly one of the reasons I never cried

(Young black males have a hard time in the United States. Most of us are doing time. Young black males make up 2% of the population, yet they account for 40% - 50% of the prison population. To make matters worse, in cities like Chicago (dubbed Chiraq), the murder rate is so insanely high that some years more people die in the city than American soldiers die in Iraq. The murders skyrocket during the summertime. Hence, there is "no love" in the summer time. Or, "love is dead," in Nietzsche's words.

Trying to ball for a hundred summers and never die
(The circumstances in life created a mentality that the thing that matters above all else is money. If you grew up without a father, too, maybe you would think the same. If you grew up in an extremely racist society, where the deck is stacked against you, then you'd probably strike back with the ferocity necessary to land you on the Forbes list.

Last time I seen my daddy I had to tell him bye
Rolling down in the ground mama couldn't tell me why

So I was on the corner all them late nights

Young nigga out there swimming with the great whites

Cops always shining on me like a stage light
It wasn't no time for stage fright

Niggas busting, medics rushing clearing the scene
Young niggas was dying boy I pray its never my team

(Young black males die every day. Meek hopes that it is never anyone on his team.)
So we out here strapping
Before this rapping I was trapping
I'm talking middle of summer when niggas get put in caskets oh!

(Lil Snupe, the kid on this song with Meek Mill, was shot and killed in the summer of 2013, making the last line of Meek's verse that much more real, that much more poignant.

This story sheds a little light on the "get rich or die trying" mindset.

Look at the living conditions of the person coming up. Robert Greene talks about this in the 50th Law. A hustler who comes from nothing - like a neophyte fighter calling himself the champ from the day he steps into the ring - you develop the unshakable belief that you can have anything and everything.

If you really want to understand the mindset of people coming up from the gutter (located beneath the bottom), you might need to open your mind a bit. The very factors leading to the success of those you're studying might be the very factors that you dismiss (for whatever reason).

This song is all about chasing paper, taking over the world, expressing a grandiose ego... and making haters mad. You might not like it, but... you think Mac Miller cares what you think?

Human nature is a funny thing. People who've never met you, who know literally no real-world facts about you, will talk about you and diss you just because your ambition makes them uncomfortable.

No matter. "And if they hate then let em' hate and watch the money pile up."

Last edited:

JPHerrmann

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
210%
Dec 20, 2014
This post is a tad ironic.

I have spent a lot of time studying how wealth is generated, particularly in the United States. It seems to me that you have two types of "successes" in America.

One is the "traditional" millionaire. This is the millionaire described in Thomas J. Stanley's books. The average millionaire is in his mid-fifties, married, owns a home, and is most likely a small-medium-sized business owner, or a doctor or lawyer. The net worth is $1M -$3M, and the income is $150,000 -$350,000. These are rough numbers, and the exact ones can easily be found with a little research or cracking open Stanley's Millionaire Mind.

Then there is the "Fast Lane." This millionaire is probably under 50, maybe under 40 and maybe even under 30. This millionaire is aimed at something more than mediocre success (not to insult the success of hard-working "Stanley-type" entrepreneurs everywhere).

It is this younger mindset that I has intrigued and inspired me for years, and it is the mindset expressed most fiercely in hip hop music.

Listening to and looking at the lyrics in the following songs reveals a spirit oozing and overflowing with Nouvea Riche glory.

Song: I Like It
Artists: Meek Mill & Mac Miller

Interpretation in bold...

[Hook: Meek Mill]
I was f*cked up, but bitch I'm back
(He wasn't where he wanted to be in life, but he hustled hard and got to where he wanted and needed to be).
I wasn't in the club ho cause I was in the trap
(He wasn't out partying, because he was working hard to make millions. Forbes noticed.)
I see you show me love, you ain't like when I was down
(Classic Meek Mill. He's pointing out that people doubted and hated on him when he didn't have money, which is undoubtedly one of the reasons he went so hard in the first place. Lol. Now look at him.)
Now, I'm stuntin' on them hoes bitch, how you like me now. bitch?
(Best line in the entire song)
How you like me now?
(Middle fingers up.)
I tell 'em how you like me now?
Cause I be shinin' like a diamond, I got money in my pocket
(He's referring to the beautiful things money buys, like diamonds, (<<---- link) that his haters can't buy. His doubters can't afford a diamond bracelet, because it costs more than their annual salary. So, he wears them to make a point, to rub it in their face.)
I don't even have to press, I see it, like it, I'ma cop it, oh!
I see it, like it, I'ma cop it, oh!
(Like Nikki Minaj said, "I mean, who even checks the price tag, you know"?)

[Verse 2: Mac Miller]

Comin' through the city, up in Philly, out with Meek
(Mac is from Pennsylvania, just like Meek)
Make a hunnit every week so now I'm stuntin' like a Sheikh
(The kid is making $100,000 per week from performances and other hustles. If you're like me, that's more than both parents made in an entire year.

[Intro: Meek Mill]
R.I.P to all the young niggas that couldn't make it here

[Hook: All Steezy]
I'm kinda hot right now
I think I'll let the clock wind down
We must've hit the finish line, cause
Ain't no love in the summertime (x7)

[Verse 1: Meek Mill]
Where young niggas dying for a pair of number nine
Jordans,
They got it scorching on the other side
Ever see a nigga get murdered and see his mother cry
Prolly one of the reasons I never cried

(Young black males have a hard time in the United States. Most of us are doing time. Young black males make up 2% of the population, yet they account for 40% - 50% of the prison population. To make matters worse, in cities like Chicago (dubbed Chiraq), the murder rate is so insanely high that some years more people die in the city than American soldiers die in Iraq. The murders skyrocket during the summertime. Hence, there is "no love" in the summer time. Or, "love is dead," in Nietzsche's words.

Trying to ball for a hundred summers and never die
(The circumstances in life created a mentality that the thing that matters above all else is money. If you grew up without a father, too, maybe you would think the same. If you grew up in an extremely racist society, where the deck is stacked against you, then you'd probably strike back with the ferocity necessary to land you on the Forbes list.

Last time I seen my daddy I had to tell him bye
Rolling down in the ground mama couldn't tell me why

So I was on the corner all them late nights

Young nigga out there swimming with the great whites

Cops always shining on me like a stage light
It wasn't no time for stage fright

Niggas busting, medics rushing clearing the scene
Young niggas was dying boy I pray its never my team

(Young black males die every day. Meek hopes that it is never anyone on his team.)
So we out here strapping
Before this rapping I was trapping
I'm talking middle of summer when niggas get put in caskets oh!

(Lil Snupe, the kid on this song with Meek Mill, was shot and killed in the summer of 2013, making the last line of Meek's verse that much more real, that much more poignant.

This story sheds a little light on the "get rich or die trying" mindset.

Look at the living conditions of the person coming up. Robert Greene talks about this in the 50th Law. A hustler who comes from nothing - like a neophyte fighter calling himself the champ from the day he steps into the ring - you develop the unshakable belief that you can have anything and everything.

If you really want to understand the mindset of people coming up from the gutter (located beneath the bottom), you might need to open your mind a bit. The very factors leading to the success of those you're studying might be the very factors that you dismiss (for whatever reason).

This song is all about chasing paper, taking over the world, expressing a grandiose ego... and making haters mad. You might not like it, but... you think Mac Miller cares what you think?

Human nature is a funny thing. People who've never met you, who know literally no real-world facts about you, will talk about you and diss you just because your ambition makes them uncomfortable.

No matter. "And if they hate then let em' hate and watch the money pile up."
Very interesting. Not sure if that was directed toward my comment here..but that is very good analysis I must say. I never discriminate what one thinks of life, to each their own. but is the case you made of "Rappers" success, Seldom do they make it.

In America, every single person has the opportunity to become and accomplish anything they can realistically dream, most waste that opportunity. Gutter or not, you can get out of it by simply educating yourself, and going to a place that will yield opportunities.

As far as the "rappers" go, I hear the majority of them making a load of money and telling the ''Haters" how they "Made It".... just IMO and i mean IMO... thats not making it.. they act like lottery winners. Just ignorant people that think persistence is all it takes. but listen to them on the interviews. no high school degree. Slang and swearing. seriously, they say they made it all this far but really they are just at the same low level telling off the same losers(Haters) they grew up with. if they really made it, they would have moved on from their past and into the future. they spend their whole lives dealing with their childhood instead of growing up and moving on. again, just my opinion.

And i would just like to add that there are a few exceptions. like Dr.Dre and Jay Z that entered the product development business and went off to be educated.

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Jun 29, 2011
As far as the "rappers" go, I hear the majority of them making a load of money and telling the ''Haters" how they "Made It".... just IMO and i mean IMO... thats not making it.. they act like lottery winners. Just ignorant people that think persistence is all it takes. but listen to them on the interviews. no high school degree. Slang and swearing. seriously, they say they made it all this far but really they are just at the same low level telling off the same losers(Haters) they grew up with. if they really made it, they would have moved on from their past and into the future. they spend their whole lives dealing with their childhood instead of growing up and moving on. again, just my opinion.

I was talking to a millionaire businessman a couple years ago. He said something that contradicted what I thought I knew.
So I asked him if he was sure about it and he said, "Would you rather be right or rich? It sounds like you want to be right."
If my goal was to be rich and I had to choose just one, would it be better for me to be smart and broke, or dumb and rich?

You're saying if someone is rich and uneducated, they haven't "made it."
You think they need to do it the "right" way in order to make it.
What if the way you think is right, doesn't make them rich?
You'd rather be right than rich.

Anyone who achieved their goal of being rich using slang and swearing, not graduating from high school or anything else without hurting others has made it.
I don't care how many people hate on them or how useless people think he or she is, if their goal was to become rich and they are rich, they have made it.
Whether he or she is a rich rapper or doctor, they both offer value to society.

Rich, no diploma, speaks in slang, swears, thinks about past -> rather be rich
Broke, PhD, speaks pretentiously, proper, forgets about past -> rather be right

You value creating a business, being educated and speaking properly.
There are millions of people that hate all three. It's all perception.
Your perception is only right for you, not others.

And i would just like to add that there are a few exceptions. like Dr.Dre and Jay Z that entered the product development business and went off to be educated.
These aren't exceptions. They're just people that did something that you value: business and education.
And according to Wikipedia, Dr. Dre never graduated high school.
He went to an adult school after dropping out of high school, and dropped out of adult school too.

Stop thinking that life is all about money and ferrari's.... all that says is you are too simple minded to ever become an educated and respected success....
Some people value money and Ferraris. You value education and respect.
Demeaning someone for what they value or how they "made it" shows a lack of education and will lose you respect.

I'm not saying I agree or disagree with what you or anyone else has said, but your perception of the world is just that...yours.

Ubermensch

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 7, 2008
Chicago
Very interesting. Not sure if that was directed toward my comment here..but that is very good analysis I must say. I never discriminate what one thinks of life, to each their own. but is the case you made of "Rappers" success, Seldom do they make it.

Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, not his own facts. I find that the more people can get on the same page with the right facts, their opinions usually fall in line.

In America, every single person has the opportunity to become and accomplish anything they can realistically dream, most waste that opportunity. Gutter or not, you can get out of it by simply educating yourself, and going to a place that will yield opportunities.

Education comes in many forms. Which is worth more: A $200,000 education at an ivy league school that puts in $200,000 in debt, or four years of reading a book, like TMF , and willfully attempting to apply it with the same rigor of a high school student cramming for the SAT? I say the latter.

As far as the "rappers" go, I hear the majority of them making a load of money and telling the ''Haters" how they "Made It".... just IMO and i mean IMO... thats not making it.. they act like lottery winners. Just ignorant people that think persistence is all it takes.

LOL.. just a bit hilarious that you compare "rappers" to "lottery winners," and you point out thinking that "persistence is all it takes." Since when does "persistence" play a role in a lottery winner's fate? I suppose foolishly buying lottery tickets every day does constitute "persistence," but that's a type of "persistence" that only Charlie Brown could relate with. The "persistence" that catapulted Eminem from 8-Mile to Rap God is much like the "persistence" that earned Dr. Dre a $800,000,000 net worth, and that is a very different type of persistence.

Also, why say "rappers" are "ignorant" people who THINK persistence is all it takes. They're successful, so I would think they DO know what it takes. Gotta say, man. You're sounding kind of like a hater.

but listen to them on the interviews. no high school degree. Slang and swearing. seriously, they say they made it all this far but really they are just at the same low level telling off the same losers(Haters) they grew up with. if they really made it, they would have moved on from their past and into the future. they spend their whole lives dealing with their childhood instead of growing up and moving on. again, just my opinion.

I do listen to (and watch) the interviews. Do you? If so, which ones are you referring to? The interview with 50 Cent I posted did not contain any swearing. Watch the interviews with mainstream rappers on Power 105. They're insightful, and you get to see real conversations with the real people behind the celebrity. The person spittin' rhymes on the mic is much different than the person speaking into a mic during the interview.

Went off to be educated... what exactly does that mean? I don't think they went to their local community college or the University of Phoenix to learn how to do real business.

Many entertainers moved to "product development" and other tangential ventures that leveraged the fame from the music business. If you really want to understand more about this, check out Robert Greene's analysis of 50 Cent's career in the book The 50th Law.

Kid Money

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
229%
Mar 1, 2012
I was talking to a millionaire businessman a couple years ago. He said something that contradicted what I thought I knew.
So I asked him if he was sure about it and he said, "Would you rather be right or rich? It sounds like you want to be right."
If my goal was to be rich and I had to choose just one, would it be better for me to be smart and broke, or dumb and rich?

You're saying if someone is rich and uneducated, they haven't "made it."
You think they need to do it the "right" way in order to make it.
What if the way you think is right, doesn't make them rich?
You'd rather be right than rich.

Anyone who achieved their goal of being rich using slang and swearing, not graduating from high school or anything else without hurting others has made it.
I don't care how many people hate on them or how useless people think he or she is, if their goal was to become rich and they are rich, they have made it.
Whether he or she is a rich rapper or doctor, they both offer value to society.

Rich, no diploma, speaks in slang, swears, thinks about past -> rather be rich
Broke, PhD, speaks pretentiously, proper, forgets about past -> rather be right

You value creating a business, being educated and speaking properly.
There are millions of people that hate all three. It's all perception.
Your perception is only right for you, not others.

These aren't exceptions. They're just people that did something that you value: business and education.
And according to Wikipedia, Dr. Dre never graduated high school.
He went to an adult school after dropping out of high school, and dropped out of adult school too.

Some people value money and Ferraris. You value education and respect.
Demeaning someone for what they value or how they "made it" shows a lack of education and will lose you respect.

I'm not saying I agree or disagree with what you or anyone else has said, but your perception of the world is just that...yours.

Perfect answer. Seems like JP has a bias toward rappers...Which is all good as you mentioned. At the end of the day it all comes down to how you see it through your eyes. In my eyes it doesn't matter if you are fat, ugly, white, black or orange and dumber than a board. If you set out to achieve your goals and are now "rich" then to me, you made it.

Like you mentioned and my question to JP would be this. How does Dr Dre differ in your eyes if they both (rappers) didn't graduate college, talk slang, Etc.?

I'll know probably why you think that. Dr Dre's PERCEPTION to society is just different because he cleaned his act up, dresses like a businessman now and sold Beat for billions. If the next "rapper" sells his business for billions, is he now "rich" and now an exception?

BTW @Ubermensch 50 is my guy man! Have his albums, watched all of his movies, Tv series, etc. 50 is a beast on so many levels and is a hustler down to his bones. Literally probably one of the most tenacious rappers that's ever lived. 50th law was good!

Last edited:

JPHerrmann

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
210%
Dec 20, 2014
I apologize, regretted posting that the minute i did. This is an extremely debatable and bias topic, theres no right or wrong at the end of the day. just opinion. The only way for me to convey an accurate message of my opinions would be to extensively elaborate on every single word I say. I just don't feel like getting that far into it, sorry if I caused any upset. I don't wish to be a "Hater" people just look at success differently as you said. Again, I apologize for sparking the fire.

Gronsy

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
May 13, 2015
Now that's an interesting thread. I agree with the point of Chaseb731 - nothing can prove better your success than your actions. And examples with various hip hop aritsts are good. Those people put great efforts in what they've achieved for today. Eminem's prosperity in $150 million didn't appear from nowehere and he didn't become successful at once. Just read what he had to come through to get his current fame - Eminem Net Worth - How Did He Become so Rich? His had a difficult life at early age and his firs album wasn't successful at all. However, he continued to do what he believed he had to do and consequently became one of the most famous rappers in the world. And that's how things work for everyone - you must do your best, overcome thousands of failures and only then you reach something that you're aiming for.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.