The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

juanalou

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Jul 13, 2016
Barcelona, Spain
Hi Guys,

I have developed the following product: A complete meal in a bag of chips. It contains all the nutrients that you need from a meal and tastes good unlike the current meal replacement products. I am looking to get funded with Kickstarter to bring it to shelves. I have spent months researching my target market and while they respond well, nobody is interested in leaving their emails once they visit the site. I suppose it's that they do not care for it that much..

I have been using Instagram and FB PPC as means to get traffic and it's ok at best. I know it is really crucial to have an actual email list before even putting up something live on the Kickstarter site. What could be wrong from your opinion? Website design? Copywriting? or the idea is not appealing at all?

www.satisbite.com

4EsNYMrCKSbWR1A9XoMCxdP7U3--WriywmSsy0PM56E

Thanks

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Very nice, I do like the presentation.
Product appeals to myself and appeals to the health issues of its potential market.

A) How does it taste?
B) Have you made any sales? What channels have you hit?
C) Is Kickstarter the right medium for this?
D) Not sure this product lends itself to "leave your email." -- it's food.

That said, your execution might be failing, but the product is not a failure.

Xavier X

Gold Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Jan 1, 2016
These United States
The product images and your site definitely look ready for prime time.
However, I find this crucial line confusing. It could be contributing to poor email sign ups.

"Sign up below to find out when you order Satisbite at a special discounted price"

It doesn't quite make complete sense. I feel like there is a word missing. Perhaps "can," which would make it:

"Sign up below to find out when you can order Satisbite at a special discounted price"

As for getting the word out, you might want to try Facebook groups where people discuss such products or related lifestyle choices.
Reddit is also another option.
Your location says Barcelona (Spain?), so it also boils down to how people receive such products locally.

Overall, I think with some execution tinkering, it could work.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Cool idea.

The downside to what a lot of your current competition offers is sugar. Protein bars, nuts, cereal bars - all super heavy in sugar. I love sugar but my body reacts really bad to it. If these very quite healthy (cooked with good oil and not much salt) I would see them being highly popular.

Great for post gym, jog, work, surf etc.

As others have said too your marketing is on point. Nice work.

Choate

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Mar 25, 2014
Boston
While the design and presentation of the website is elegant and simple, there are a few fundamental flaws that I think are preventing you from getting more emails, if that's your primary goal for right now.

- The way the pink text arcs up makes it look like the website is a single page and doesn't scroll down.

The fix: include a button or something that shows you can navigate downwards to the next section.

- Your email collection is below the fold. The fold that makes it look like its a one page website without scrolling down. Even worst - its below, "Launching soon on kickstarter".

The fix: if your goal is email collection, make it prominent by either suggesting it right next to or under your product photos, or having a pop up over them, if you can do that without detracting the value of your offering.

- As far as the copy goes... You want to be selling benefits, not features. If this is a meal replacement, how is it going to make me feel after eating it? Am I really going to be full?

The fix: Tell me how it makes me feel, how I can still eat potato chips and feel great, making my friends and family jealous, or something. You know what it tells me when you list non-GMO and gluten free on your product? Its probably going to cost a lot more than other potato chips. So yeah, I'd list that somewhere, but not make it so prominent.

- In the little poll, at least give users an idea of how others' voted. If I voted for Smoky BBQ, it'd be cool to see what percentage of the other voters agreed, or chose the other options.

Example: 43% Smoky BBQ, 20% Sour Cream and Onion, 37% Sea Salt. Thanks for voting!

In my opinion, three major things you can do: bring your email collection directly into your customers' sight when they visit the webpage. Re-write all of the copy from the ground up. There are lots of great threads here on the forum about copy. And write a little story about how you got started. Make it real personal, with its own section between your header and your "features", because people love reading how things got started. That's your time to write some great copy and transfer your emotions to the reader how it benefited you so they can put themselves in your shoes.

jsk29

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
314%
Jul 30, 2014
US
I wanna eat a bag right now!

Don't see any incentive to leave my email though.

For what it's worth, I haven't signed up to be on a list for any food product.

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
Jan 13, 2014
Hi Guys,

I have developed the following product: A complete meal in a bag of chips. It contains all the nutrients that you need from a meal and tastes good unlike the current meal replacement products. I am looking to get funded with Kickstarter to bring it to shelves. I have spent months researching my target market and while they respond well, nobody is interested in leaving their emails once they visit the site. I suppose it's that they do not care for it that much..

I have been using Instagram and FB PPC as means to get traffic and it's ok at best. I know it is really crucial to have an actual email list before even putting up something live on the Kickstarter site. What could be wrong from your opinion? Website design? Copywriting? or the idea is not appealing at all?

www.satisbite.com

4EsNYMrCKSbWR1A9XoMCxdP7U3--WriywmSsy0PM56E

Thanks

I like the "welcome to the future of food" line. You might want to add a story line or benefit angle to the product - i.e. pictures of fit people in workout gear enjoying a satisbite.

BTW, since you're going with the 1.5 oz bag, I'd try a 3 pack, a club style multipack, or a POS tabletop corrugate display.

Are you developing for US or European market?

Bellini

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
299%
Mar 26, 2015
Dallas, TX
@juanalou , I like your idea and the look of the product.

To state the obvious, no amount of copywriting or technology is going to make up for putting it in their MOUTH.

Read: SAMPLES

They have to TASTE IT.

Give as many samples away as you can. Not necessarily whole packs but maybe you can get mini sample bags to give to potential retailers and customers so they can try it.

I've seen people standing with food trays in the middle of shopping centers, food courts, bars, sidewalks, festivals, etc with a tray of food for people to try. Let them try a chip or two. All they need to know is how it tastes and how to get it. Consider the free food as part of your marketing expense.

As @Fortune5ive mentioned, consider military and even camping or outdoors stores.

I don't know if vending machines are popular in Barcelona, but if so, consider trying to get your chips put in vending machines in busy office buildings.

Hopefully you will find a retailer who will be willing to carry your product. Good luck.

Red

Nigerian Lottery Prince
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Feb 23, 2010
Phoenix
The glaring red flag I see is that you don't list your ingredients anywhere. There's no way I'm giving you a second thought (let alone my contact info) when you don't put an integral component of your product on the website for review.

Millenial_Kid5K1

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Feb 14, 2017
Atlanta
Your website is really well designed. As a foodie, the first thing I noticed was the "non-GMO!" "Gluten Free!" labels. Is your target demographic health-conscious people? Maybe you could expound on the nutritional benefits of your product (e.g. "All the crunch of potato chips, with none of the saturated fats.", or "Same nutrition as a lean chicken breast and side of carrots, without the hassle of cooking!"). I'm not a copywriter though, take with a grain of salt.

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
I feel you have a real winner with the Product. I'd personally investin this if I was an investor who has experience in bringing food products to market.

Have you considered that route?

@wade1mil has ran successful kickstarter campaigns before. He can give feedback on that.

Email opt in for food product...I think MJ said it before - not quite a typical thing to give your email for.

Def great work on the concept

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Jun 29, 2011
Email opt in for food product...I think MJ said it before - not quite a typical thing to give your email for.
People might opt in for a coupon or a free bag (if that's possible). "Enter your email and we'll send you a coupon for $X.XX off."

Fortune5ive

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Feb 24, 2017
New Jersey
People might opt in for a coupon or a free bag (if that's possible). "Enter your email and we'll send you a coupon for $X.XX off."
I don't think a bag of chips is enough to motivate the average consumer to choose to wait for a coupon in exchange for giving up their email. For a large brand like Doritos, yes! I think this product needs to be shopped around to an established health food brand and possibly the OP can negotiate a royalty of some sort. Perhaps even a buyout. I know we all want to come up with great ideas and see it through but we must also realize how competitive and redundant this market is. If you reach for a health bar...you'll have like 10 choices...even more.

Mac

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Feb 10, 2015
Prisoners eat something similar called slam. Except its pork, chips and whatever they can get their hands on smashed around in a bag and then consumed. Ex-cons might be another market haha (not that I am one).

KSR

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
Feb 28, 2017
Australia
The style and presentation is top notch.

What's one thing people do with food? EAT IT! So in that case, I believe your best marketing strategy would be to hand out free samples wherever you can, you live in Barcelona (Spain), so getting around the EU shouldn't be too hard or expensive. Market this thing heavily, because they look delicious and your product definitely is beautiful.

Do whatever you can to get it out and there for food, I believe samples are your best option.

Longinus

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
441%
Aug 28, 2014
Poland / Belgium
I'd replace sea salt flavor with something that speaks more to the imagination. When I think of sea salt, I see just a mountain of sea salt just laying there in the sun. Not very tasteful in comparison with smokey bbq and sour cream & onion.

I'm also missing more information about ingredients and macros.

KSR

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
Feb 28, 2017
Australia
I'd replace sea salt flavor with something that speaks more to the imagination. When I think of sea salt, I see just a mountain of sea salt just laying there in the sun. Not very tasteful in comparison with smokey bbq and sour cream & onion.

I'm also missing more information about ingredients and macros.

Sea Salt works pretty well for 'Kettle' chips?

juanalou

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Jul 13, 2016
Barcelona, Spain
Guys thanks for all the feedback, here are some replies:

Very nice, I do like the presentation.
Product appeals to myself and appeals to the health issues of its potential market.

A) How does it taste?
B) Have you made any sales? What channels have you hit?
C) Is Kickstarter the right medium for this?
D) Not sure this product lends itself to "leave your email." -- it's food.

That said, your execution might be failing, but the product is not a failure.

A) How does it taste? Taste is top notch. I have conducted tastings with american exchange students over in Spain as US is the intended market.
B) Have you made any sales? What channels have you hit? No sales yet.
C) Is Kickstarter the right medium for this? I believe yes, Soylent, which is a similar product made over 3m in its initial campaign and is now worth over 100m.
D) Not sure this product lends itself to "leave your email." -- it's food. What would you suggest for notifying people once its available on Kickstarter? We need a big audience of backers once it's live so the algorithm ranks us and we get organic backers.

I like the "welcome to the future of food" line. You might want to add a story line or benefit angle to the product - i.e. pictures of fit people in workout gear enjoying a satisbite.

BTW, since you're going with the 1.5 oz bag, I'd try a 3 pack, a club style multipack, or a POS tabletop corrugate display.

Are you developing for US or European market?

US market.

Last edited:

juanalou

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Jul 13, 2016
Barcelona, Spain
While the design and presentation of the website is elegant and simple, there are a few fundamental flaws that I think are preventing you from getting more emails, if that's your primary goal for right now.

- The way the pink text arcs up makes it look like the website is a single page and doesn't scroll down.

The fix: include a button or something that shows you can navigate downwards to the next section.

- Your email collection is below the fold. The fold that makes it look like its a one page website without scrolling down. Even worst - its below, "Launching soon on kickstarter".

The fix: if your goal is email collection, make it prominent by either suggesting it right next to or under your product photos, or having a pop up over them, if you can do that without detracting the value of your offering.

- As far as the copy goes... You want to be selling benefits, not features. If this is a meal replacement, how is it going to make me feel after eating it? Am I really going to be full?

The fix: Tell me how it makes me feel, how I can still eat potato chips and feel great, making my friends and family jealous, or something. You know what it tells me when you list non-GMO and gluten free on your product? Its probably going to cost a lot more than other potato chips. So yeah, I'd list that somewhere, but not make it so prominent.

- In the little poll, at least give users an idea of how others' voted. If I voted for Smoky BBQ, it'd be cool to see what percentage of the other voters agreed, or chose the other options.

Example: 43% Smoky BBQ, 20% Sour Cream and Onion, 37% Sea Salt. Thanks for voting!

In my opinion, three major things you can do: bring your email collection directly into your customers' sight when they visit the webpage. Re-write all of the copy from the ground up. There are lots of great threads here on the forum about copy. And write a little story about how you got started. Make it real personal, with its own section between your header and your "features", because people love reading how things got started. That's your time to write some great copy and transfer your emotions to the reader how it benefited you so they can put themselves in your shoes.

Thanks. Guys I will re-make the site and keep you posted. You are awesome people!

juanalou

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Jul 13, 2016
Barcelona, Spain
@juanalou , I like your idea and the look of the product.

To state the obvious, no amount of copywriting or technology is going to make up for putting it in their MOUTH.

Read: SAMPLES

They have to TASTE IT.

Give as many samples away as you can. Not necessarily whole packs but maybe you can get mini sample bags to give to potential retailers and customers so they can try it.

I've seen people standing with food trays in the middle of shopping centers, food courts, bars, sidewalks, festivals, etc with a tray of food for people to try. Let them try a chip or two. All they need to know is how it tastes and how to get it. Consider the free food as part of your marketing expense.

As @Fortune5ive mentioned, consider military and even camping or outdoors stores.

I don't know if vending machines are popular in Barcelona, but if so, consider trying to get your chips put in vending machines in busy office buildings.

Hopefully you will find a retailer who will be willing to carry your product. Good luck.

Hi, thing is, product is intended for US marker and we are based in Spain. Also we cannot run a small batch before getting the product to peoples hand. Of course we can send out samples made in the lab but it would be extremely expensive, this is why we are going for a Kickstarter campaign. Any other suggestions? Thanks for reply

juanalou

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Jul 13, 2016
Barcelona, Spain
Our kickstarter perks will be 50% off. We cannot give out free stuff until we actually get funded..

jlwilliams

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Dec 14, 2014
Great product.

If you want to sell it in America you are going to need to bring some of it to America. As already pointed out, you need some people putting it in their mouths and (hopefully) wanting more. It's not cheap to do, but you need your product at trade shows and expos. Places where retailers in the health/fitness and outdoor markets go to see what new stuff they can put on their shelves. It's time and cash intensive and exhausting, but a few key shows in the right markets can be huge leverage.

Incidentally, I see the weight being an unsung attribute. Back packers aren't shy about paying for weight savings. If you target this toward the REI and EMS shoppers you will find a tribe that seeks what you offer. A balanced meal that weighs less than a granola bar with zero preparation should be an easy sell. I'd buy a case.

jlwilliams

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Dec 14, 2014
And.... I just put my email in. No kidding, I want some for camping.

Bio degradable packaging would be good. Don't get me wrong, I pack out what I pack in. Still, environmental responsibility is something consumers respond well to. If you help people feel good about themselves, they will pay you.

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
Jan 13, 2014
I'm going to give a couple notes here. I currently work for a CPG startup that has distribution in grocery chains. It's not the same category as your product, and I could be wrong, but this isn't coming from nowhere either ;)
  • Avoid coupons - your conversion will be low, and the people that tend to buy are people that only buy when your product is on deal. You are looking to create actual fans - people who will repeat-purchase at full price. Discounts can have this same effect of cheapening your brand.
  • Free samples - usually avoid. It has always been a failure for us, but there are some pretty famous success stories that used them heavily. You don't have distribution, so it will definitely do you no good to give someone a free sample if there's then nowhere they can go buy it.
  • I see small batch is a problem, which isn't surprising. Please tell me your packer is in the US and not Spain.
Getting distribution will be a little tough if you don't have a gimmick. Buyers for major chains don't usually take risks, and if they do pick up a niche product, they're often looking to rip it off with private label, which is an ugly experience.

You might want to start by profiling your customer then working backwards. Where do they shop? How do they make buying choices? What influences those choices?

Small shops are an option, as actually is AAFES like someone suggested, but expect that to be a long process. Have you thought about the concessioners that have the contracts for university book stores, national parks, and airports?

Since you're selling a healthy alternative to a bag of gas station chips, you might want to look in places like the above where people have limited choices and therefore aren't as price sensitive.

BTW - Your packaging is beautiful. Love it.

Supa

Came for the $. Stayed for the Ice Cream.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
289%
May 27, 2015
Germany
I like your product. Don't really see a problem with it, or a lack of need for it.
The website looks good in itself too. Nice, clean design, but still professional looking.

I think your route through email subscriptions is the problem.

Why should I subscribe to a food manufacturer's email list?

If I want to know if the product is for me, I'd either just order a small amount or read some (real) reviews on it, on some trusted site.

My advice?

Get your product out there before you try any other advertising.

Maybe go to some trade shows in your industry.

Maybe enter the fitness industry if the nutrients are made for it.

Good luck with it :)

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
F*ck yeah. If I were a gambling man, I would say this is gonna win bigly.

Nothing else to add to the above action items. Just wanted to praise the presentation and concept.

LPPC

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Mar 6, 2016
As a bodybuilder/fitness enthousiast, I hate the fact that I have to cook meals and eat them during my break. I would totally consume this product if it's healthy, fits my macros and tastes good. So I would buy this product. I'm curious to the ingredients though and the macros. Website looks good too.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
The glaring red flag I see is that you don't list your ingredients anywhere. There's no way I'm giving you a second thought (let alone my contact info) when you don't put an integral component of your product on the website for review.

+1 here.

A lack of nutritional panel and a list of ingredients is a value attribute (I spoke about this at 2016 Summit) which will lose customers and reduce the size of the market.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.