The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

$5 million Idea - Your Thoughts

Idea threads

blaksol

Possum Trot
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Feb 23, 2014
I have read TMF and been lurking here for a couple of years. I have tons of ideas, some of which I have wasted tons of time on, so after my phone call with Jack Edwards I spent a couple months narrowing down my ideas and ended on this.

I want to build software for the industry I have worked in for the past 8 years. I will try to make this as concise as possible and if more details are necessary for input please let me know.

What my company does: Resell services on a monthly recurring basis. For example, we pay $200/month, we sell for $400/month. We sell a lot of these services (I would guess about 500,000 units in any month), which creates the opportunity for what I do.

What I Do Now: Recover money by finding services we are paying for that we are not receiving revenue for (partially caused by laziness of other employees, but this is expected), to the tune of about $10,000/month (monthly recurring, so if I find $10k in January, accounting shows it as $120k recovered). Some of the units I find have been losing money for up to 5 years in extreme cases. I make a little over $40k a year for this. And so do the other 15 people that do similar jobs in my company, and will continue to forever unless the problem stops.

What my software will do: Solve the problem by making the incoming and outgoing cash more closely tied and forcing users to complete necessary actions through the system (for example now an "order" can be closed out by clicking a button saying a task is completed without any proof the task is actually completed), stop the losses of cash for those long periods of time (roughly $5 mil a year), and save the money our crew is getting paid (about 1.5 mil a year). Also it should save time for numerous other teams that are causing the problems to begin with (and cost some of them their jobs). Also, I could migrate the current data into the new system within a couple months time, so it wouldn't have to be entered manually (which is what usually happens after a merger or acquisition and takes upwards of a year for a team of 10+ people to complete).

About the market: There are at least 2 larger companies (all 3 are publicly traded) with the exact same model as the one I work for in the US that use the same software (which, in part, allows the same mistakes to be made). I have met other people that work for these companies and it seems the same problems exist, though I cannot be sure how aware management or shareholders are of the extent of the problems.

My personal barriers:

1 . I can't quit my job unless I have an investor. I have a wife, mortgage, car payment, student loans for an MBA, etc. I would last literally a month if I quit before I had to start selling things. If I could quit, I may be able to finish the project in about 3 months of 60 hour weeks - except I wouldn't have access to the systems at work anymore which could make it more challenging since I would no longer have access to their software and tables (current software is not simply something I could copy or download) - this also would pose problems if I wanted to hire a programmer, but I don't really want to anyway because I know how to make it and I would be more on top of any issues that come up with a project this size.

2. Assuming I don't quit, I will spend about a year completing the software, and I am not sure how to sell it. I am a terrible salesman, and I don't think doing the copywriting challenge is going to help me in this instance. Even if I was great at sales, I can't approach the company I work(ed) for to sell them software I made while employed there. I will need a partner that has experience with how to get this in front of the right people. Employees and even a few VPs will not want to change software because they have been using the same systems for up to 20 years depending on their time in the industry, and the current system does not cause them much personal pain. However, some financial VPs and all the shareholders would jump on this product if I make the benefits known to them.

So, I guess that about sums up my situation. Any thoughts or advice will be greatly appreciated.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Michael Raphael

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Jul 22, 2013
New York & Florida
1. Do you have a developer?
2. What kind of investment are you looking for? (I may be interested in both Q. 1&2)
3. I may have people in tech industry that can sell software if it helps. I work with some very elite people in this industry. (Oracle, Splunk, Flexlab, Hyperion... just to name a few).

blaksol

Possum Trot
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Feb 23, 2014
1. Do you have a developer?
2. What kind of investment are you looking for? (I may be interested in both Q. 1&2)
3. I may have people in tech industry that can sell software if it helps. I work with some very elite people in this industry. (Oracle, Splunk, Flexlab, Hyperion... just to name a few).
I am the developer. I write php, java, sql, css, html. I need a pitch man with connections. A salary for 1 year to cover time to build, sell, and roll out to 1 company if I quit my job would make the process faster, but i posted to ask for advice and possible connections. If I don't see a path to sell, I may not spend the year making it.

Michael Raphael

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Jul 22, 2013
New York & Florida
Alright, I understood your "pitch" differently. I thought you wanted to create a business, not just make a software then sell it. Nevermind. I may have a contact for you, would still need to know a lot more about the business and whether it is viable. At which point, I can speak to some friends/partners and see what they say. If it's good then you have a nice future ahead of you!

blaksol

Possum Trot
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Feb 23, 2014
It can be a recurring income but the market is limited to a handful of large companies. 3 are fortune 500. There would be about 10,000 users at my company, the smallest of the three. So a license deal or a total sell off could be feasible.

PHowey

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Jan 7, 2014
Chicago
It can be a recurring income but the market is limited to a handful of large companies. 3 are fortune 500. There would be about 10,000 users at my company, the smallest of the three. So a license deal or a total sell off could be feasible.

It sounds like you have identified a need within your business and I applaud you for that. Unfortunately, it sounds like the need should be filled by custom software that is developed in-house. This doesn't sound like a software product to me because it only applies to a handful of businesses. Generally, software products service a larger target market.

With that being said, that doesn't mean it's not a worthy pursuit. How much do you plan to charge for the software? Will it be per user license or is this a one time license for the entire company?

Based on the numbers you provided, there are 10,000 users at your company and for the sake of discussion, lets say there are 10,000 users at each of the other (3) companies. That gives you a total of 40,000 users for your market. There is no investor (that I'm aware of) that will invest in your product that can service a maximum of 40,000 users. So I personally think the traditional investment route is out.

I recommend making this a consulting project. It sounds like you have a deep understanding of the problem and the ability to build a solution. I would recommend putting together a sales pitch along with a presentation and begin selling the solution immediately. I would look to make the companies the investors on the project. Seek a percentage up front. This will give you the funding needed to do this. I would also recommend negotiating a recurring support contract for the software. You are going to have a lot of users to support and this sounds somewhat complex.

You already stated you are not a sales person. Well, you are going to need to become one. Unless you can find someone at your company to partner with that also understands this problem, you are the best person to sell this solution.

I would also carefully check any non-compete or contracts you have with your current employer. Some employers have contract with their employees that claim ownership to anything built during their employment period.

blaksol

Possum Trot
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Feb 23, 2014
I do have a non compete clause in the handbook though I never signed anything. I like the idea of selling up front but then the company may have it developed in house instead if having me do it. In this scenario I still need a partner to sell the software for a percentage of the contract. Again, I'm not looking for a capital investment. Also as far as the price I am not sure yet but I know we have paid $1 million a piece for a few limited programs for a full in house takeover.

PHowey

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Jan 7, 2014
Chicago
I do have a non compete clause in the handbook though I never signed anything. I like the idea of selling up front but then the company may have it developed in house instead if having me do it. In this scenario I still need a partner to sell the software for a percentage of the contract. Again, I'm not looking for a capital investment. Also as far as the price I am not sure yet but I know we have paid $1 million a piece for a few limited programs for a full in house takeover.

If you are concerned that they will simply build it themselves then you don't have a good enough USP or barrier to entry.

Whenever I discuss or even think about a new business, I do what I call the "Share Test". If I am worried to share my idea of project with anyone, then my barrier to entry is way too low. If anyone can execute my idea then my business is worthless. You have to have a USP that makes it easier for your clients/customers to buy what you offer than to do it themselves.

The Share Test does not apply to time sensitive or first to move projects/ideas.

blaksol

Possum Trot
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Feb 23, 2014
That is not a primary concern it was just a thought. I know my company could not execute it, but that would not stop them from trying or appearing to in order to appease the shareholders.

healthstatus

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Apr 11, 2011
Indianapolis, IN USA
If you are creating your fix using your employer's software license, their computers, lights and resources, unless you have a clause in your contract that says you can do all that and own it yourself, then anything you create will be owned by the company.

I would approach one of the other companies, and tell them that you have a solution to this problem and you are willing to work for $55k per year, and 2% of the gross increase in revenue attributable to the software changes and you get 33% of the revenue collected by selling the software to other companies, (including your old one).

blaksol

Possum Trot
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Feb 23, 2014
It's IT inventory tracking.. High turnover. There are 2 other companies exactly like ours and several others that are similar. I would estimate the savings to only the 3 to be $25 million in the first year. How much do you think I should charge for that?

blaksol

Possum Trot
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Feb 23, 2014
If you are creating your fix using your employer's software license, their computers, lights and resources, unless you have a clause in your contract that says you can do all that and own it yourself, then anything you create will be owned by the company.

I would approach one of the other companies, and tell them that you have a solution to this problem and you are willing to work for $55k per year, and 2% of the gross increase in revenue attributable to the software changes and you get 33% of the revenue collected by selling the software to other companies, (including your old one).
I'm not creating it in the office or on the clock. I am only the developer and my name will never be mentioned in negotiations.

healthstatus

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Apr 11, 2011
Indianapolis, IN USA
except I wouldn't have access to the systems at work anymore which could make it more challenging since I would no longer have access to their software and tables (current software is not simply something I could copy or download)

So which is it? Are you using their resources or not?

I am only the developer and my name will never be mentioned in negotiations.
Using other peoples resources without their permission for personal gain is stealing. You better hope they never mention your name, or you have to show up on site for support.

This is why I suggest you approach one of the other companies with the idea of the software and ask for a salary and a percentage of revenue savings to work on it at their place. If you can really save someone $5mil, they will have no problem paying you $55k + $100k bonus and a bonus for selling that software to someone else.

PHowey

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Jan 7, 2014
Chicago
Healthstatus has a valid point. I would proceed very carefully with this project. I missed the part where you need access to their system to build your solution.

blaksol

Possum Trot
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Feb 23, 2014
I don't need it - it could prove helpful as a reference, but I use it every day for my job. It's pretty hard to explain here bit I'm not stealing anything.

blaksol

Possum Trot
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Feb 23, 2014
If I showed up for support it would be at headquarters 500 miles away where no one would even recognize me. We have hundreds of locations.

blaksol

Possum Trot
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Feb 23, 2014
This is why I suggest you approach one of the other companies with the idea of the software and ask for a salary and a percentage of revenue savings to work on it at their place. If you can really save someone $5mil, they will have no problem paying you $55k + $100k bonus and a bonus for selling that software to someone else.

I will give this some consideration. Thanks.

randomnumber314

speed of a drunk camel
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Jan 7, 2014
Minnesoooota,USA
No. Not a concern. No one has tried to copy the existing software or make it much better in decades

Not just for protection, but for leverage. Patent idea, approach other companies that can save $5 mil a year and tell them you'll implement it for 20% of that savings--1/2 down.

blaksol

Possum Trot
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Feb 23, 2014
Not modifying existing code.. I didn't even consider a patent because it rarely is approved or enforced.

blaksol

Possum Trot
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Feb 23, 2014
Yes, I said that poorly, I probably should have said you are adding on to an existing software platform.
Kind of.. it will use a similar table structure to make the data push easier but the only other similarities are result of industry process, not the software process.

blaksol

Possum Trot
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Feb 23, 2014
I didn't make myself clear earlier. The reason it would be helpful to see the current software during building is to see what it is doing not how.

For example, if I built a new shopping cart, but I couldn't see any current examples, I might leave out something important like currency conversion.

Milkanic

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Apr 17, 2012
Madison, WI
You are making 40K as a developer with an MBA? The first thing I would do is start looking for a new job....you are getting shit on. Circle back in a year or two if you think the opportunity is still there.

Also, unless you have you have the source code to the front-end systems, I don't see how you can really solve this. If you can get the all the information from the backend databases, it seems like this could be solved in a few lines of python and if statements.

blaksol

Possum Trot
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Feb 23, 2014
I'm not a developer, I'm a financial analyst. I learned code on the side making Web apps for other groups and at home. I could go get a php dev position for 60 locally but I don't want a job and I don't want to develop full time for more than this project.

blaksol

Possum Trot
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Feb 23, 2014
As an example of my work. . The last public site I built is lukadis.com . It updates automatically and posts to twitter and Facebook. I will be changing the name soon.

blaksol

Possum Trot
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Feb 23, 2014
Thanks for all the feedback. I will put this thread on hold for now. Going to give it a little more thought but probably start building away soon and will just wait til its complete to find a partner to sell for me or quit my job at that time if I feel confident enough it will sell.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
337%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
This is your answer. Consulting gig with an incentive bonus.

And work on selling yourself. 40k with no bonus for saving $10k per month???

Pitch the proposed compensation plan to your company. Do not mention this new software. Only show examples of where you have saved money and ask for a slice of the savings. They will think you want 15% of $120k...... Then you implement and save them $3m / year.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.