The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

30 Years Old - On the Pursuit of Happiness

Paul Howard

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Oct 4, 2017
Long Beach California
Hey all,

Paul here. I found this forum (today), by typing in Google "how often should I write my goals down" and I saw a post from thefastlaneforum in the search engine results page.

A little background about myself:

I was born and raised here in Southern California as an "only child" (or so I thought), and was raised in the ghetto parts of Long Beach. Growing up, my mother was always at work from 2 PM to 11 PM, and my father was always drunk the moment he came home from work. The main thing that raised me was Nickelodeon, and MMORPG (massive online role playing games - Everquest).

Fast forward to the age of 20, my father got into a major accident where he landed on the floor, cracked his head opened and was sent to the ICU. He had a mild stroke / dehydration from drinking too much.

Thankfully, he was able to recover (but not fully). He wasn't able to work again, nor drive. However, having him as a "father" sober was the best feeling ever. This was the time I was able to experience a real father (from my age 20-28).

Fast forward to 2012, I discovered that I had a half sister, which made me realized why my dad was depressed and drank a lot. He was hiding something from his family. I found out she was a victim of human trafficking, and was in Aman Jordan at that time. Through a long process (won't go too much into detail), and dealing with a corrupted embassy, I was able to send her back home to her family in the Philippines. (I didn't meet her until 2016, but even though I haven't met her, I felt like it was the right thing to do).

Fast forward to 2015, my father had passed away and now it's just me and my mom... (sister doing her own thing in the Philippines).

Throughout this whole journey, I studied SEO through forums, and utilizing Google. I didn't learn a damn thing in school, but I still got a degree for my pops as it was his dream. Today, I work for a large e-commerce, doing SEO. However, I'm not happy.

I started thinking, what's my purpose? Or the fact that I know I have a BIGGER purpose, rather than just coming into work, do my thing, go home, go to the gym, sleep, wake up, repeat 5 days a week.

I have a skillset in SEO, and now I want to scale further towards affiliate marketing, and starting my own agency vs. working at a 9-5. I want to live the financial freedom. To be able to wake up at my own time, go to the beach, spend time with family, and then work. Rather than just wake up, work, go home, go gym, go home, sleep, repeat. I realized TIME is extremely valuable..

And I really want to give back to the world. And also make a change just like how I helped get my sister back home to the Philippines...

And so now I'm here, to hopefully gain the confidence, the mindset, and to know that I will do this. To take the jump, and never look back.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Envious

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Sep 26, 2017
London
Hey all,

Paul here. I found this forum (today), by typing in Google "how often should I write my goals down" and I saw a post from thefastlaneforum in the search engine results page.

I was born and raised here in Southern California as an "only child" (or so I thought), and was raised in the ghetto parts of Long Beach. Growing up, my mother was always at work from 2 PM to 11 PM, and my father was always drunk the moment he came home from work. The main thing that raised me was Nickelodeon, and MMORPG (massive online role playing games - Everquest).

Fast forward to the age of 20, my father got into a major accident where he landed on the floor, cracked his head opened and was sent to the ICU. He had a mild stroke / dehydration from drinking too much.

Thankfully, he was able to recover (but not fully). He wasn't able to work again, nor drive. However, having him as a "father" sober was the best feeling ever. This was the time I was able to experience a real father (from my age 20-28).

Fast forward to 2012, I discovered that I had a half sister, which made me realized why my dad was depressed and drank a lot. He was hiding something from his family. I found out she was a victim of human trafficking, and was in Aman Jordan at that time. Through a long process (won't go too much into detail), and dealing with a corrupted embassy, I was able to send her back home to her family in the Philippines. (I didn't meet her until 2016, but even though I haven't met her, I felt like it was the right thing to do).

Fast forward to 2015, my father had passed away and now it's just me and my mom... (sister doing her own thing in the Philippines).

Throughout this whole journey, I studied SEO through forums, and utilizing Google. I didn't learn a damn thing in school, but I still got a degree for my pops as it was his dream. Today, I work for a large e-commerce, doing SEO. However, I'm not happy.

I started thinking, what's my purpose? Or the fact that I know I have a BIGGER purpose, rather than just coming into work, do my thing, go home, go to the gym, sleep, wake up, repeat 5 days a week.

I have a skillset in SEO, and now I want to scale further towards affiliate marketing, and starting my own agency vs. working at a 9-5. I want to live the financial freedom. To be able to wake up at my own time, go to the beach, spend time with family, and then work. Rather than just wake up, work, go home, go gym, go home, sleep, repeat. I realized TIME is extremely valuable..

And I really want to give back to the world. And also make a change just like how I helped get my sister back home to the Philippines...

And so now I'm here, to hopefully gain the confidence, the mindset, and to know that I will do this. To take the jump, and never look back.

Absolutely inspiring post.

You've made the first step. I joined this forum only about a week ago too, because like you, I want more.

I wrote a post asking which is more valuable? Money or Time? This is because I had revived a job offer for a 12,000 pound per annum pay rise, but much more hours and a much longer commute. I got many responses which all said that TIME is more important than the money, so now I'm using the free time I have to create something which will hopefully change my life.

Good luck with your journey.

Daniel.

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
194%
Sep 27, 2017
Long Beach, California
Greetings,

I'm pretty new here as well and have gained so much knowledge in these forums.

Long Beach? I'm within those parts mostly all week, ha. I live in the city of Lynwood but spend most of my time in Long Beach.

GMSI7D

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jan 27, 2016
Lyon, France
Hey all,

LOL

i wonder why you didn't land on a napoleon hill or bob proctor website .

this is their specific teaching .

Paul Howard

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Oct 4, 2017
Long Beach California
I seriously don't know much about this forum. But I'm excited. With no hesitation, I bought the two books, millionaire fast lane and unscripted . Looking forward in participating, and learning from ALL of you. Doesn't matter if you're new in the forum, or a veteran. I'm excited to spend time with a lot of you as well, as a support group and even more.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Welcome Paul, hope you enjoy the books and help drive you into a new purpose, and a new direction.

Thanks for the intro!

Paul Howard

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Oct 4, 2017
Long Beach California
Thanks everyone.

I know we received an e-mail of what to do next,but is there anything else you recommend me checking out in this forum?

And, what did you get out of this forum?

Thanks!

Greg R

Act, Assess, Adjust
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
465%
Oct 28, 2015
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Welcome to the forum and great introduction.

I am just going to drop a perspective here that you may have not considered...

You do not need to pursue happiness to obtain it. Happiness already exists within you. It is up to you to choose to be happy.

If I start a business then I will be happy.
If I have a successful business then I will be happy.

Above you are relying on external events to make you happy. Which will only result in short term happiness at best.

You can learn to be happy now.

I am happy right now even though I don't yet have _______.

Seek happiness within yourself and you won't need to rely on anything to make you happy ever again.

Paul Howard

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Oct 4, 2017
Long Beach California
Welcome to the forum and great introduction.

I am just going to drop a perspective here that you may have not considered...

You do not need to pursue happiness to obtain it. Happiness already exists within you. It is up to you to choose to be happy.

If I start a business then I will be happy.
If I have a successful business then I will be happy.

Above you are relying on external events to make you happy. Which will only result in short term happiness at best.

You can learn to be happy now.

I am happy right now even though I don't yet have _______.

Seek happiness within yourself and you won't need to rely on anything to make you happy ever again.

Hey there,

Actually, I have considered that perspective. External events shouldn't give me that fulfillment you're right.

Nigel B

Life Long Learner
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Sep 18, 2017
USA
Hey all,

Interesting post. So you already gave huge value to a person you did not know - because it was the right thing to do. That giving spirit sounds like a good foundation for finding a way of delivering value. With your chosen path, make sure you don't trade working for a single employer, for simply working for many different employers. It's easy to get yourself in the same time for money trap, just you own the trap ... which is worth very little if you stop working.

If you've not read the books (based on how you found this forum), get them - either will work for you, but Fastlane Millionaire is probably the better one to start with as you already know you want out.

Good luck!

Paul Howard

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Oct 4, 2017
Long Beach California
Interesting post. So you already gave huge value to a person you did not know - because it was the right thing to do. That giving spirit sounds like a good foundation for finding a way of delivering value. With your chosen path, make sure you don't trade working for a single employer, for simply working for many different employers. It's easy to get yourself in the same time for money trap, just you own the trap ... which is worth very little if you stop working.

If you've not read the books (based on how you found this forum), get them - either will work for you, but Fastlane Millionaire is probably the better one to start with as you already know you want out.

Good luck!

Thank you! It's amazing how the universe works. I was looking for something and here it is, this forum! Speaking of, the books came in today! Both Fastlane and unscripted ! Can't wait to go to the beach, relax and for me to read these books!

Paul Howard

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Oct 4, 2017
Long Beach California
I don't know where to post so I'll just post here on my intro thread.

I was at the gym yesterday and decided to read some more of the book (fast lane millionaire). Killed two birds with one stone! Burned 500 calories while reading ha! I wanted to break down at the gym as everything that I was reading spoke to me! It's like it knew exactly what I was going through...

I'm still going through the sidewalk lane chapters which truthfully, it's where I'm at! Some things that spoke to me...

"Earn 50k a month, spend 60k. Earn 250k spend 350k. The money outflows always outpaces the money inflow."

if I make 40k or whatever a year now and am struggling, who says I won't struggle at 400k a year

"poor financial management is like gambling; the house eventually wins"

wealth = strong spirited familial relationships with people, fam god friends. second wealth is fitness :health and the last being freedom.

What really stood out to me was that in 2013 I had bought my dream car the Acura NSX. After I bought the car I realized I STILL wasn't happy. Looking back though, I'm still glad I bought the car because it made me realize that buying that car was NOT the answer to my happiness..(and the car is appreciating in value so that's always good lol)..

Still a lot to read, but this book is exciting.

Nigel B

Life Long Learner
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Sep 18, 2017
USA
Paul, something struck me about the title of this thread in the context of other things I've been reading. Chasing happiness is, I suspect, very much like chasing money - both are journeys not outcomes. At some point you define the NSX as something which would 'make you happy' - but the reality is that you make you happy.

Many, many people look back and identify being "happiest" at some point in the past. If you analyze why you were happy then, and what you are unhappy about now - the differences are the keys to what might 'make' you happy today. Of course you will put a post-rationalization on the past, so your analysis now of what made you happy may be inaccurate ;)

My rambling point is that if you felt more happy at any given point, are there clues in there as to where you need to go next.

I honestly believe that happy is simply a choice - wealth is not, that's a task - but happiness is just perspective. I have met many people with lots of money who only have complaints, as well as those with far less than me who are just full of gratitude for what they have.

If wealth is part of what you need - freedom is (I am sure) awesome - then there is a journey to get there. The journey to 'happiness' is much shorter - accept and recognize all the great things (big and small) today, and fix the things which weigh on you. Some of the latter can be really big (debt, bad relationships, health issues) - but small amounts of gratitude every day offset a lot of that. Sounds trite, but I believe happiness is 90% attitude and 10% situational.

Keep reading - but more importantly, decide what to change!

Paul Howard

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Oct 4, 2017
Long Beach California
Paul, something struck me about the title of this thread in the context of other things I've been reading. Chasing happiness is, I suspect, very much like chasing money - both are journeys not outcomes. At some point you define the NSX as something which would 'make you happy' - but the reality is that you make you happy.

Many, many people look back and identify being "happiest" at some point in the past. If you analyze why you were happy then, and what you are unhappy about now - the differences are the keys to what might 'make' you happy today. Of course you will put a post-rationalization on the past, so your analysis now of what made you happy may be inaccurate ;)

My rambling point is that if you felt more happy at any given point, are there clues in there as to where you need to go next.

I honestly believe that happy is simply a choice - wealth is not, that's a task - but happiness is just perspective. I have met many people with lots of money who only have complaints, as well as those with far less than me who are just full of gratitude for what they have.

If wealth is part of what you need - freedom is (I am sure) awesome - then there is a journey to get there. The journey to 'happiness' is much shorter - accept and recognize all the great things (big and small) today, and fix the things which weigh on you. Some of the latter can be really big (debt, bad relationships, health issues) - but small amounts of gratitude every day offset a lot of that. Sounds trite, but I believe happiness is 90% attitude and 10% situational.

Keep reading - but more importantly, decide what to change!
Thank you Nigel,

Everything you said I agree. I remember going to the Philippines 2 years ago, and I'd see a small house filled with 10 people and they were extremely happy with what they have.

"The journey to 'happiness' is much shorter - accept and recognize all the great things (big and small) today, and fix the things which weigh on you" this stood out. Thanks again.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...