The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Why You Should Listen To NewsRadio [Yes, it's not just for old geezers and slowlaners)

Marketing, social media, advertising

johnp

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Aug 29, 2011
Philly
This just occurred to me today. I’ve been doing something that has helped me tremendously in the last year. So I figured I’d share. Here it goes:

I hate the news.

But, I have been listening to News Radio everyday for the last year at least once per day, usually in the car at lunch. In Philadelphia we have an AM station called KWY. I imagine that every major city has something like this.

So why listen to news radio?

Here are a few reasons:

The Ads - become a better copywriter
In the last year, the best direct response ads that I have come across were on the news radio station that I listen to. Yes, some ads suck. But most are pretty good. Within a few months you’ll learn how to structure a good direct response ad, where to put the call to actions, and what to say - mostly through osmosis. Newsradio has turned me into a better copywriter.

Get exposure to different industries [I didn't know what a CPAP was until I turned on the radio]:
Newsradio is great exposure to industries like roofing, heating, financial, auto and mass market products. It’s a great way to be exposed to products and marketing that you don’t always see online. The best commercial that I ever heard was for a CPAP machine. They run it dozens of times per day daily. There’s another good one out there called myperfectbody (something like that).

Get insight into what’s working
If you heard the same commercial running for 12+ months then I’m guessing it’s working great and worth modeling.

Come up with ideas:
You’ll easily be able to generate about 10 new business ideas just by listening to news radio 10 minutes per day for a week. I think that this has something to do with the fact that many of the commercials are uncovering problems that online people like myself usually aren’t exposed to.

Find new clients:
If I were looking for PPC, email marketing, or copywriting clients then I’d compile a list of all of the local services that are running ads on Newsradio. If they are paying for radio, then they might pay for your service. And it’s easy to show the value:

For example, the other day I heard a commercial for a car dealer. At the end of the commercial they said, “Google our {insert company name, i forget) to find us."

If I were selling PPC then I would call them up and say, hey… I heard your radio commercial. If you’re spending money on radio to get people to your website, then why not put a little money into PPC and Display Remarking so you can stay in front of the people who you have already paid to get to your site?

Learn how to capture attention and keep it:
I recently noticed that news radio stations are great at capturing attention and keeping you engaged. For example, they use bells, whistles, and horns at key moments, especially during transitions. When it comes time to report on traffic they play the sound of cars beeping. There is probably so much psychology behind all of this. It’s like constant pattern interruptions and anchoring.

I could keep going. But I’ll stop here. I just wanted to share this.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

tiagosoares17.22

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Aug 5, 2017
Porto, Portugal
I am considering to start buying a daily paper to know more about what is going on financially inside my country. The daily paper is called Jornal de Negócios which translates to "Bussiness Journal".

I know a lot more of what is going on in the USA (and some other countries) business and financially wise compared to what I know about Portugal. I do not "consume" news but I listen to lots of podcasts, follow certain YouTube channels and read books in English that give me great insights of what is going on there.

Until now it wasn't a big deal not following the markets, but this year I decided to move to my little town to start a business here and I think I could benefit in knowing more about the Portuguese markets.

I will make the test and see if I don't start to have my ideas being shaped by what the mainstream media is selling us.

johnp

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Aug 29, 2011
Philly
:arghh:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Thanks for sharing.

I'm starting to hear a lot of "real estate flipping" seminars and guru hustlers that I never heard of on the radio.

Could be a sign of a market top.

Tommo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Jan 21, 2018
Perth Australia
I'm also seeing a lot of FB ads for "make a fortune on Amazon" seminars in Perth the last few weeks. Not sure if they get radio adverts out though.

johnp

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Aug 29, 2011
Philly
I'm starting to hear a lot of "real estate flipping" seminars and guru hustlers that I never heard of on the radio.

Could be a sign of a market top.

I'm hearing more stuff like this too. One that comes to mind:

Some guy named Dean. His commercials ad starts like this:

"Do you want to make money flipping houses?"

Then he goes on to talk about how they're looking for people in the Philadelphia area to teach this system to. I'm sure it's played all over the country. The ad got stuck in my head for an entire day the other week.

And recently, a few ads for making money from the stock market have started popping up too.

I'm also seeing a lot of FB ads for "make a fortune on Amazon" seminars in Perth the last few weeks. Not sure if they get radio adverts out though.

I see a ton of this too on Facebook. I actually started blocking certain ads because thy videos are so good that I end up watching them and getting shiny object syndrome as a result.

But as far as radio goes, I have never heard a commercial for Amazon on the news radio station. My guess is because the people selling Amazon courses tend to be doing less direct response stuff in the beginning. Facebook is great for building cold audiences fast and cheap. You can't pixel anybody on radio.

But with all of the changes coming to Facebook's ad platform, I think we're going to see a lot of small - mid size advertisers looking for more places to run direct response ads. Radio could be one of them (I don't know much about radio advertising, it's just helpful to listen to), but who knows.

Dunkafelics

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
229%
Jun 12, 2015
Vancouver, Canada
@johnp

I will give you some credit... as I was going to disagree with your headline right from the get-go.

However, you made a lot of valid points in your argument. I appreciate the aspect of having potential customers that you could look at from a copywriting perspective.

The problem for me is that then I will be stuck hearing about all the other useless crap that is happening in the world...

I am up in Canada, but can you give me an example of a worthwhile station that you would listen to in Philadelphia? I may just give it a listen through their online website for context.

johnp

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Aug 29, 2011
Philly
I will give you some credit... as I was going to disagree with your headline right from the get-go.

haha nothing wrong with disagreement. I'm not even sure what my logic was behind the headline. I created it real quick while at work.

I am up in Canada, but can you give me an example of a worthwhile station that you would listen to in Philadelphia? I may just give it a listen through their online website for context.

Here's that station that I listen to: KYW Newsradio 1060

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.