The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

NOTABLE! Why does everyone want to get there so fast?

Iwokeup

Aut viam invenium aut faciam
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
May 23, 2014
The East Coast
Good bump.

I've been having this conversation with myself EVERY. SINGLE. DAY.

As in, what's the balance between speed for speed's sake, and executing well at a slower pace?

For me it's not panic or anything....but rather a sense that I want to achieve that next level of security as quickly as possible. But I've found that when I choose balls-to-the-wall speed over rapid but well executed daily progress, the wheels fall off in other areas. And for the record, I'm married with children and I love my family, and I refuse, refuse to leave them behind.

Which in turns is both frustrating and exhilarating as my family (especially my sons) get to see Dad being "Lord Business"

and incorporating those lessons into their own lives (one son: wants to start importing goods from China and the six year old is all about the lemonade stand with cross and up sells this summer).

The other lesson? It takes TIME to learn some things, and I'm kind of dumb that way...I only learn by doing and (sometimes) F-ing up. Hah!

Anyway, thanks for letting me share.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
...The other lesson? It takes TIME to learn some things, and I'm kind of dumb that way...I only learn by doing and (sometimes) F-ing up. Hah!...
Oh SHIT, a doctor said that.

Iwokeup

FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
May 23, 2014
The East Coast

king156

Contributor
Feb 26, 2016
Money is nothing but a measuring stick of how much value you bring to others. The faster and more you bring value to more people, the faster you will accumulate boatloads of money.

Nothing wrong with having deadlines and goals. I feel goals and deadlines are very important especially when broken down into short term mileposts. But make sure the big long term $$ goals don't make you take your eye off the process of bringing value and fall down looking for get rich quick 'shortcuts', because they are a mirage, they don't exist.
what replica Bentley is that? Looks very square lol

Andy Black

Any colour, as long as it's red.
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Good bump.

I've been having this conversation with myself EVERY. SINGLE. DAY.

As in, what's the balance between speed for speed's sake, and executing well at a slower pace?

For me it's not panic or anything....but rather a sense that I want to achieve that next level of security as quickly as possible. But I've found that when I choose balls-to-the-wall speed over rapid but well executed daily progress, the wheels fall off in other areas. And for the record, I'm married with children and I love my family, and I refuse, refuse to leave them behind.

Which in turns is both frustrating and exhilarating as my family (especially my sons) get to see Dad being "Lord Business"

and incorporating those lessons into their own lives (one son: wants to start importing goods from China and the six year old is all about the lemonade stand with cross and up sells this summer).

The other lesson? It takes TIME to learn some things, and I'm kind of dumb that way...I only learn by doing and (sometimes) F-ing up. Hah!

Anyway, thanks for letting me share.
Like you, I also refuse to spend less time with my kids now so I can spend more time with them later.

When I did motorbike trips with mates, it wasn't about *being* in The South of France, it was about *getting* to The South of France.

The fun was the journey, and the most fun was the windy bits on the map, not the straight line down the motorway.

Life is an adventure. "Problems" are stepping stones on our journey.

Later on I had to physically change bike so that I enjoyed the journey more, instead of only getting enjoyment from going as fast as possible.

I've engineered my life so that I'm happy where I am now, and I'm happy chipping away.

Each moment is a moment to savour.

Go too fast and you don't see what's right under your nose.

I did a few wee videos on this. I'll drop them in later when I'm not on my phone.

Iwokeup

FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
May 23, 2014
The East Coast
Like you, I also refuse to spend less time with my kids now so I can spend more time with them later.

When I did motorbike trips with mates, it wasn't about *being* in The South of France, it was about *getting* to The South of France.

The fun was the journey, and the most fun was the windy bits on the map, not the straight line down the motorway.

Life is an adventure. "Problems" are stepping stones on our journey.

Later on I had to physically change bike so that I enjoyed the journey more, instead of only getting enjoyment from going as fast as possible.

I've engineered my life so that I'm happy where I am now, and I'm happy chipping away.

Each moment is a moment to savour.

Go too fast and you don't see what's right under your nose.

I did a few wee videos on this. I'll drop them in later when I'm not on my phone.
Yep. With as much death and crap as I see, it makes it all too important to enjoy the ride. Life is what happens while you're making other plans, you know?

illmasterj

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jan 19, 2016
1360m
Brilliant post Bill! This year I have hit that "wealthy" mentality. We only have one sensible car, still rent (a modest apartment), etc, in an effort to build the "freedom fund". We'll get some more luxuries in a few years but in our current situation we never stress over the cost of a dinner and manage to travel at least 3-4 times a year. I suspect a lot of the younger ones on this forum wouldn't look at me as wealthy, but I sure as hell feel that way!

I realized that every one of our clients could leave right now and we'd be OK. It wouldn't be ideal, but it's completely different to having huge loan repayments and knowing that you're in trouble two weeks from Monday. As the "freedom fund" gets larger and the passive income grows greater, risks will become increasingly easy to take, hopefully meaning greater opportunities to build wealth in the future.

Andy Black

Any colour, as long as it's red.
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Last edited by a moderator:

MJ DeMarco

Administrator
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 23, 2007
Fountain Hills, AZ
Bump.

Mario_fastlaner

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Mar 1, 2019
Milano
All these goals about making millions before 25, 30 or 1 year or 15 months... Why does everyone want to get there so fast?

Part of the fun is getting there. Ask yourself, if you got to your goal today, what would you be doing differently? I bet you would still be talking about the same things, except maybe doing it in a nicer home or car. But ultimately, your day to day would be the same (this is assuming that you work for yourself).

Making money is not something that you just turn off. If you acquire the skills to make $5m, you don't just say, "well I'm here. I'm just going to sit around for the next 20 years." You will probably use your knowledge and begin another business after you get bored of retirement. If this is the case, then really what difference does it make if you reach that point at 25, 30 or 35?

My point is to enjoy the journey because most of your life will be inside that journey.
Because most people think they will happy ONLY when they’ll have that new car, that new home, that new freedom to do whatever they want.

I’m 21, and I’ve told myself many times that I have to become rich as fast as possible, only then I will be happy.

Only recently, reading this forum, I’m really thinking that happiness is not correlated (money are just a multiplier of what you are now), so I’m trying to change my way of thinking.

rynor

Bronze Contributor
Mar 15, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
Thank you for this post/reminder. It's important to hear every once and a while. I'm 27 and have grown up with the "instant gratification" mindset. If I don't get something ASAP, it bums me out. I fully expected to be successful by now, and the fact that I'm not even close to it, kind of sucks.

I've had to retrain my brain to tell myself that Rome wasn't built in a day, and I shouldn't expect it to be. Starting my own business and working for myself has started to shed more light on this fact. It's still tough, but I'm learning to deal with it.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

happiness2go

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Jul 21, 2018
Germany
I think the main reason why everyone wants to get there so fast is fear. Fear that time will run out. Fear that there isn't enough time for them to fulfill their dreams. Fear that they won't succeed.
This.

Reminds me of the quote:
"Most people overestimate what can be done in a year and underestimate what can be done in 10 years".

Slow, steady and continous growth over time leads to the most powerful results.

Rushing forward while being fear-driven isn't the way forward. Focusing on the process and building the right habits is key.

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
People always want to know why we don't fly more when we travel. I always tell them, we have the most fun when we are driving down the road. My 3 friends and I are heading to St. Louis in a few weeks, people think it's strange that we are driving..... they just don't get it that we will be laughing our @sses off for the 12 hour drive! Make sure to enjoy today, we may not make it until tomorrow.....

PupRich

New Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jul 15, 2019
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::cool::cool::cool::cool:

Wealthy, rich, happy, rich, healthy, rich, smile

Last edited:

Lilyvick

New Contributor
Jul 22, 2019
It's all about human nature - everyone wants to become something, and it's a lot easier to evaluate your success in money. It's easier to see fruits of one's labour in short order than to expend time in only self developing and get nothing in toto.

biggeemac

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jun 25, 2011
See, I like this goal alot more because there is a change to the quality of life in the goal. The monetary value of this goal could be only $2500 a month. Who knows. I think someone with a goal like this has alot better chance to succeed and also well surpass it. And it's not because you are aiming so low.

If you achieve this easily doable goal say within a few months. You move somewhere that you like and enjoy, your outlook changes, you've gained business experience, you have new life experiences, probably have new ideas and wham! Your next business idea is born and you are in the right mindset to launch it.
Wow.....how things have changed since I responded to this. Here are the bullet points......

I now live in a non-metro Oregon city. No more fast paced cities for me.
I love living back home in Oregon, rain and all !!
I am not a millionaire, but I have a million in mortgages and assets, that all make me money.
I love good debt !
If I had a million in the bank, then I wouldn't be very wise.
My wife and I created a sustainable business that nets us $14k-17k a month after expenses, mortgages, etc.
We have met a lot of people and gained a lot of new family since starting our journey.
I am projecting that we will be upwards of $22k a month this time next year.
It took us just over two years to get here since startup.
I now realize that I can live wherever I want without actually LIVING there.
I still work my day job. I am building a new house for my family, and then I will quit my day job.
I think I could be pretty happy just pulling around a travel trailer, and hiking and fishing around the country.

Kevin88660

Bronze Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore
All these goals about making millions before 25, 30 or 1 year or 15 months... Why does everyone want to get there so fast?

Part of the fun is getting there. Ask yourself, if you got to your goal today, what would you be doing differently? I bet you would still be talking about the same things, except maybe doing it in a nicer home or car. But ultimately, your day to day would be the same (this is assuming that you work for yourself).

Making money is not something that you just turn off. If you acquire the skills to make $5m, you don't just say, "well I'm here. I'm just going to sit around for the next 20 years." You will probably use your knowledge and begin another business after you get bored of retirement. If this is the case, then really what difference does it make if you reach that point at 25, 30 or 35?

My point is to enjoy the journey because most of your life will be inside that journey.
I think the answer is simple. People with no money (sufficient to be financially free) actually have no freedom.

So basically if your life expectancy is at 80, would you want to get out of prison next year or five years later?

OP
OP
biophase

biophase

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I think the answer is simple. People with no money (sufficient to be financially free) actually have no freedom.

So basically if your life expectancy is at 80, would you want to get out of prison next year or five years later?
People with no money are the ones that make ridiculous lofty goals. They want a business that makes $1m in 2 years with no idea how to do it or how much work that entails.

My original post was speaking to people who start a business and want to do $1m in 12 months, or $5m in 2 years vs. slowly and steadily building their business on a good and stable foundation.

Kevin88660

Bronze Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore
People with no money are the ones that make ridiculous lofty goals. They want a business that makes $1m in 2 years with no idea how to do it or how much work that entails.

My original post was speaking to people who start a business and want to do $1m in 12 months, or $5m in 2 years vs. slowly and steadily building their business on a good and stable foundation.
Depends on the game they are playing and the business model.

Fast money are usually those that reply on a new trend and has no entry barrier. Drop-shipping in the past is one example. Usually when everyone gets in then the business basically dies. But it is not possible to make a small fortune.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe to become an INSIDER.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom