The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

You can go slower than you think

Anything related to matters of the mind

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
#AndyTalks 028 - You can go slower than you think

A ramble along my favourite canal again...

I talk about:
  • Vlogging and legacy (@Mike Kavanagh really got me thinking in his thread ... thanks Mike).
  • Riding motor bikes too fast.
  • How changing my goal to "being smooth" helped.
  • How someone advised me recently that you can go slower than you think.

TRANSCRIPTION by @Drive2Riches

(A member of) The Fast Lane Forum talked about the power he sees in video logging. Gary Vaynerchuk does an excellent video logging series called the DailyVee. I certainly didn't set off doing these Snapchat stories to do a vlogging series myself. I've been using Snapchat because I think it's a brilliant app for being able to create your snippets of video that can then post to here there and everywhere.

I help people with online marketing or business stuff that... I have coffees with business owners and I have these conversations so I should record them and make them more available. By the way after a while you realize a lot of these conversations you're having, some of the common recurring themes are more mindset stuff than marketing "how to" stuff to do with AdWords or websites or stuff like that.

Anyway, I've been saving these Snapchat stories every evening to my camera roll and uploading them to Dropbox, publishing some of them on YouTube. My original plan -- still the plan -- is to build up a bank of content, shout out to Joshua who recommended I do that. Get a bank of content that's built up from which I can extract little videos and then also I've got a lot of b-roll.

(It's) Interesting for me to go back through some of those days, like last week or the week before and try and find little bits to pull out and then kind of watch and listen to the things I was doing that day, struggling with or something I had to overcome.

(It's) quite an interesting thing this feed looking potentially, maybe my kids when they get older they can follow along and see what Daddy was up to. Wow, maybe it goes as far forward as Grandchildren looking at these vlogs. That would be amazing wouldn't it?

This is making me think of legacy stuff, longer term, really long term now. You know, like in the film Superman, where he throws that thing out into the ice and then his Dad's there talking to him. He's never met his Dad or wasn't old enough or wasn't ready for those lessons or for those messages. Gosh, I'm getting a bit morbid now aren't I?

It reminds me of that saying, "when you're ready the teacher appears." Actually just means the teacher was there all along you just weren't ready to hear it.

It's the same as somebody just trying to get started in business and trying to come up with an idea, find some opportunity. It's the sort of mindset where you think "opportunity only knocks once and when it does I have to grab it with both hands." Actually, opportunity is (all) around, if you're listening for it, it's like a drum role on your door. It's a drum role.

[Watches ducks] Always cracks me up when they do that. [laughs] Ducks, so funny.

Shout out to Liam actually, when last week I was talking about my cash going out quick because I've got sub-contractors. How some of my clients are on 30 day terms so my cash flow is a bit screwed up at the minute. Liam snapped me back and said he knows; he knows that feeling; he's been there before. He also said "You can go slower than you think". That's great advice. It was pretty timely for me as well, just to slow it down; don't get too far ahead of myself.

Sometimes you make much better progress when you're not in a rush, just nice and calm. I remember that in my teens when I was doing sprint training, the lad I trained with he was a 10.6 100 meter runner, I was an 11.6 100 meter runner. There was nothing I could do. The harder I tried to keep up with him the slower I'll go because I'll be working against myself.

I used to race around the countryside on a motorbike, scraping my knee sliders here, there and everywhere. I actually had to change vehicles from a sports bike to a different style of bike just to slow me down and then I really enjoyed it. I saw, wow, there's a castle, I never saw that before I was always haring it past. The guys I hung around with at the time, we were all a bit nuts; we were all talking about "getting your knee down" all the time.

After couple little accidents where I broke my collar bone etc. I remember meeting up with another guy, an older guy, John, and he says, "Andy, are you smooth? Are you smooth?"

Smooth?? What was he on about? What he meant was effortless, did anyone even notice you coming past. Could you do a tricky run through the countryside and never touch your brakes? Well I didn't use my brakes in the countryside anyway. I didn't use my brakes. (As a) road rider engine braking is the way to go, I'll talk about that another time why. But for John the ultimate compliment for a bike rider would be to go through town and never put your foot down. Look far enough ahead to see the red light to see the traffic to know where to position yourself and trickle up to the lights, have them go green just as you're pulling up. Off again. Smooooth, smooooth.

I remember doing that going through town on my big BMW GS. Sports bikes (overtaking me fast)... the past me ... I used to be like that! (Loud) exhaust, attention seeking. Look at me! Yeah! They would all pull up to the lights, I'd bimble up and take off just as it went green and I'd be ahead of them and they'd go -- rrrrr -- all the way through town. So they were barreling up to these lights and all it meant was they waited at the red light longer than me. Personally, I kind of worked out I like being on a motor bike for riding it, not for sitting at traffic lights. So what's the point of getting there early and waiting for thirty seconds?

I changed my goals. Instead of trying to get my knee down, I was trying to be smooth. I was trying never to put my foot down. I was trying to go as slow as I could and enjoy it. How slow could I go without stopping? Oh wow, that was a good game. I think it's a good game in business as well.

So, all you young guns, you can all rush off. I'll meet you at the traffic light. I'll beat you anyway.

(It's easy to) go fast, just do that [twists accelerator]. You can come a cropper mind. Get yourself into situations you didn't see coming as well and too fast for yourself.

(I talked) about Dennis Berkamp when he was playing for Arsenal being a man amongst boys because time slowed down when he got the ball.

Enough rambling my hands are cold holding the phone. I'm not going to do this with gloves, that would be a bit bizarre. I'm going to go get myself a coffee now.

That's a lot of school uniforms to iron. Dammit.

I've got a quick question. I know I can ramble, oh my goodness I do know that. Is that helping you? Maybe things would be better if I did a Q&A? If you sent me questions and I answered questions and rambled but I had a purpose for it? Let me know. There's my just sort of rambling and musing. Does that help you? Are you interested in it anyway and do you have any specific questions? I'll be using Periscope and Facebook Live soon enough to go deep into AdWords and online marketing and I want to keep adding value on Snapchat. I don't have many followers so I can answer questions you've got for me. Later on I might not be able to, so make the most of it now; ask me questions. Also yeah, let me know, am I rambling too much?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

JoeB

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jul 17, 2014
UK
I've got a quick question. I know I can ramble, oh my goodness I do know that. Is that helping you? Maybe things would be better if I did a Q&A? If you sent me questions and I answered questions and rambled but I had a purpose for it? Let me know.

Hi Andy,

I'm only saying this because you asked, but for me, I prefer more condensed, better thought out content.

I started watching your videos for adwords tips but what I got from them were (off the top of my head the things I can remember) "snapchat, getting into a video routine, getting your videos transcribed, adding your videos and transcription to your blog, fitting making videos into your life, how much you like snapchap, ghostcodes, uploading to dropbox, creating a bank of youtube videos, having a b-roll, going for lunch in a hotel and a story on leadership you were told during a course in 2009" - it seems to me it's kind of like 'blogging about blogging'.

Although some of the videos include useful content, it is nothing I would ever share or bookmark as it's too watered down and interspersed with unimportant rambling, and even completely off-topic. For example, I watched one video where someone wanted to start a web design company and was asking for advice on cold calling to get business (I'm not sure why they were asking you in particular about cold calling) and your answer was, to generate leads for the customer, then instead of ringing to sell a service, they could ring with a lead which would get a better result. That video, not only didn't answer his question, it took about 14 minutes to say what I said in one sentence, which in today's ADD society is a loooonng time.

I also think sometimes you need to apply the story to business. In this video, for example, you talk about being smooth and slow on a bike, at great length, then you say "I think it's a good game in business as well.". Why? How? When did it work for you in a business situation?

I'm not saying the above to have a dig, it just seems like you enjoy filming videos and come across well, but sometimes don't have too much to talk about, or miss clarifying the point you are trying to make. That is not a dig at all by the way, I think most people would struggle to come up with something every day, but then that raises the question of why you are doing it every day.

It's good that it does fit into your life, you don't have to edit much and you can get it online the same day, but for me, the viewer, I'd personally prefer a 10 minute summary of the best bits every week.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Hi Andy,

I'm only saying this because you asked, but for me, I prefer more condensed, better thought out content.

I started watching your videos for adwords tips but what I got from them were (off the top of my head the things I can remember) "snapchat, getting into a video routine, getting your videos transcribed, adding your videos and transcription to your blog, fitting making videos into your life, how much you like snapchap, ghostcodes, uploading to dropbox, creating a bank of youtube videos, having a b-roll, going for lunch in a hotel and a story on leadership you were told during a course in 2009" - it seems to me it's kind of like 'blogging about blogging'.

Although some of the videos include useful content, it is nothing I would ever share or bookmark as it's too watered down and interspersed with unimportant rambling, and even completely off-topic. For example, I watched one video where someone wanted to start a web design company and was asking for advice on cold calling to get business (I'm not sure why they were asking you in particular about cold calling) and your answer was, to generate leads for the customer, then instead of ringing to sell a service, they could ring with a lead which would get a better result. That video, not only didn't answer his question, it took about 14 minutes to say what I said in one sentence, which in today's ADD society is a loooonng time.

I also think sometimes you need to apply the story to business. In this video, for example, you talk about being smooth and slow on a bike, at great length, then you say "I think it's a good game in business as well.". Why? How? When did it work for you in a business situation?

I'm not saying the above to have a dig, it just seems like you enjoy filming videos and come across well, but sometimes don't have too much to talk about, or miss clarifying the point you are trying to make. That is not a dig at all by the way, I think most people would struggle to come up with something every day, but then that raises the question of why you are doing it every day.

It's good that it does fit into your life, you don't have to edit much and you can get it online the same day, but for me, the viewer, I'd personally prefer a 10 minute summary of the best bits every week.

Great feedback!

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Hi Andy,

Yes, great feedback. Thank you @JoeB.

Some people like the chatting, however some (most?) prefer it more on point. I'm working out how to get my thoughts down quickly, and then to summarise and pull out snippets. Maybe it won't end up like that.

I also had a goal to help more people, but even in some of my own videos I've talked about helping the people nearest to you.

Maybe I should spend less time trying to "chat" to lots of people via video, and more time with people I already know, and chat "real-time".

Also, what started as an attempt to just get into a daily habit of creating videos has moved slightly towards vlogging - because I want something for my kids and my family.

That doesn't seem to cross over that well, because I'd like to add more family stuff, but obviously not posted all over the place. And then by the time my kids are old enough to be interested in watching this stuff, they won't care about the details of AdWords or stuff like that.

I'll keep doing videos, but my reasons are very different now than when I started. I might not do them for public consumption anymore, but to bring family and friends closer.

Thanks for taking the time to give such detailed feedback. It's very helpful.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Yes, great feedback. Thank you @JoeB.

Some people like the chatting, however some (most?) prefer it more on point. I'm working out how to get my thoughts down quickly, and then to summarise and pull out snippets. Maybe it won't end up like that.

I also had a goal to help more people, but even in some of my own videos I've talked about helping the people nearest to you.

Maybe I should spend less time trying to "chat" to lots of people via video, and more time with people I already know, and chat "real-time".

Also, what started as an attempt to just get into a daily habit of creating videos has moved slightly towards vlogging - because I want something for my kids and my family.

That doesn't seem to cross over that well, because I'd like to add more family stuff, but obviously not posted all over the place. And then by the time my kids are old enough to be interested in watching this stuff, they won't care about the details of AdWords or stuff like that.

I'll keep doing videos, but my reasons are very different now than when I started. I might not do them for public consumption anymore, but to bring family and friends closer.

Thanks for taking the time to give such detailed feedback. It's very helpful.

Two things that might be useful for you:

1. 3 questions - I'm building a habit of a short lead-in and then having 2 to 3 specific questions to answer. When the questions are done the video ends. This helps cut down on rambling a bit since it requires specific talking points.

2. Playlists - I started sorting my YouTube videos into playlists. That way people who come to my channel can filter what they want to watch. Right now they're broken down into: Entrepreneur | Raw Review | Sneaky Mind

JokerCrazyBeatz

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 1, 2016
Finally checked this thread , i finally understand , I guess we are so focused on reaching a level of success because we've never been there and we are tired of our current lives we dont appreciate it first . I can honestly say that im better then i was yesterday and im happy . i havent reached my goal but its on the way

JokerCrazyBeatz

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 1, 2016
This is my current delemma . I FEEL like I'm going to slow . I know what I want . I know exactly what I need to do get there. And I excecute every single day. But since I know it's a process I know it's gonna take time to achieve the things I want and it takes daily effort to reach. But I feel like that's to "simple" , "boring" , "slow". But I'm seeing now that's how things feel when you trust the process. I handle obsticals with much calm and patience. And I'm spreading love and supporting myself and others motivating others . Always growing and learning. Networking with people I'd be scared to even converse with b4. It just feels to planned is all. But I love it so much . It's fun and exciting , I can't wait to see what happens next. I know this is going to be a long journey but my goals feel so easily achievable and so distant all in the same breath.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I know it's gonna take time to achieve the things I want and it takes daily effort to reach. But I feel like that's to "simple" , "boring" , "slow". But I'm seeing now that's how things feel when you trust the process.

And this my friend, is why things get tough. Conquering obstacles and reaching goals is not all "passion" and "love." Awesome to hear you get it!

Young-Gun

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
252%
Mar 8, 2014
Austin, TX
Oh man this thread is wicked-cool.

@Andy Black for what it's worth (since the topic was raised a few posts ago) I love the rambling style of this post, so much wisdom in it.
That said I would like it even more if it was "punched up" so I can see where Lex and JoeB are coming from.

Also loved the irony of the "young guns" always trying to get their knees down.
I can definitely relate.

Your over-arching point was the exact message I needed to hear today (and from a post almost a year ago! Crazy!)

I believe in the process.
The slow-and-steady.
Being smooth, and looking ahead to "pace" out the traffic lights.

Smooth, smooth. Bet you get a lot of wet days in Ireland. Here in Texas I have it easy... steaming-hot pavement 300 days of the year.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Oh man this thread is wicked-cool.

@Andy Black for what it's worth (since the topic was raised a few posts ago) I love the rambling style of this post, so much wisdom in it.
That said I would like it even more if it was "punched up" so I can see where Lex and JoeB are coming from.

Also loved the irony of the "young guns" always trying to get their knees down.
I can definitely relate.

Your over-arching point was the exact message I needed to hear today (and from a post almost a year ago! Crazy!)

I believe in the process.
The slow-and-steady.
Being smooth, and looking ahead to "pace" out the traffic lights.

Smooth, smooth. Bet you get a lot of wet days in Ireland. Here in Texas I have it easy... steaming-hot pavement 300 days of the year.
Lol. And you're even called "young-gun".

I'm not saying not to go fast, just that there's a time and a place.

Here's another related video:

I appreciate the feedback on how rambling helps, and punchier would help even more. I do both. The rambling and repetition allows me to hone a message, and then I can create a super short version. But only after I "darken the page" (Gary Halbert).

Nicoknowsbest

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
395%
Mar 31, 2014
Austria
#AndyTalks 028 - You can go slower than you think

A ramble along my favourite canal again...

I talk about:
  • Vlogging and legacy (@Mike Kavanagh really got me thinking in his thread ... thanks Mike).
  • Riding motor bikes too fast.
  • How changing my goal to "being smooth" helped.
  • How someone advised me recently that you can go slower than you think.

You are one wise man Andy.

The metaphor of riding your bike through the city resonated so much.

And, I have to admit - I am one of those young guns.

In my everyday business life, I usually press the gas till the floor, launching from one traffic light, just to hardly stop before the line with screeching tires at the next traffic light.

I am the guy who accelerates on the highway and because of this tunnel vision on the fast lane, he misses the exit...

I make progress really quickly, but this way of working is starting to become a real problem I feel.

One of my problems - I get caught up in things that could have been solved much easier with a bit of clear and calm thinking.

My biggest problem? I don't give myself credit to enjoy the ride. I don't celebrate wins, I take them for granted.

This is my current delemma . I FEEL like I'm going to slow . I know what I want . I know exactly what I need to do get there. And I excecute every single day. But since I know it's a process I know it's gonna take time to achieve the things I want and it takes daily effort to reach. But I feel like that's to "simple" , "boring" , "slow". But I'm seeing now that's how things feel when you trust the process. I handle obsticals with much calm and patience. And I'm spreading love and supporting myself and others motivating others . Always growing and learning. Networking with people I'd be scared to even converse with b4. It just feels to planned is all. But I love it so much . It's fun and exciting , I can't wait to see what happens next. I know this is going to be a long journey but my goals feel so easily achievable and so distant all in the same breath.

When talking to people about my biggest weakness, the first thing that comes up: impatience.

I sometimes have no patience for people around me, but worse, for myself.

@JokerCrazyBeatz - I feel you. I might not see my path as clear as you do yours yet, but it emerges bit by bit, day by day.

Once I find the path in the woods, I want to sprint right to the end instead of relaxing, enjoying that I finally found the path and appreciating the walk.

Where do you take your calmness from?

I really enjoy this format. Especially for mindset stuff.

Not being 100% on point helps my brain spin off into various directions while listening.

If I had a technical question though, I'd prefer an on-point format.

JokerCrazyBeatz

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 1, 2016
I feel you. I might not see my path as clear as you do yours yet, but it emerges bit by bit, day by day.

Once I find the path in the woods, I want to sprint right to the end instead of relaxing, enjoying that I finally found the path and appreciating the walk.

Where do you take your calmness from?
I know its a game , a process , i know i wont know everything. but i know thats the whole point, its all a learning experience , the good and the bad. All i know is where i want to go , i never know exactly how to get there

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
All i know is where i want to go , i never know exactly how to get there
Lol. I sometimes feel I don't even know where I want to go. I just like moving.

Here's a call where myself and @Nicoknowsbest discuss this (amongst other things):

I'm not quite as aimless as I made it sound... I do have a "vision", but I liken it to the quote below from a Paul Graham article:

I think the way to use these big ideas is not to try to identify a precise point in the future and then ask yourself how to get from here to there, like the popular image of a visionary. You'll be better off if you operate like Columbus and just head in a general westerly direction. Don't try to construct the future like a building, because your current blueprint is almost certainly mistaken. Start with something you know works, and when you expand, expand westward.

The popular image of the visionary is someone with a clear view of the future, but empirically it may be better to have a blurry one.

Full article:

Nicoknowsbest

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
395%
Mar 31, 2014
Austria
I'm not quite as aimless as I made it sound... I do have a "vision", but I liken it to the quote below from a Paul Graham article:
This came at the right moment, thanks for posting this @Andy Black.

Funnily enough, I met a fellow entrepreneur from Canada via a Facebook group and we had a chat on Skype this weekend.

After some intro stories and some chit-chat, he asked me what my big vision was.

So there I was, at a loss for words.

I felt bad at first, because he caught me somewhat off guard.

But thinking about it more, I don't feel bad at all anymore.

Obviously, we all want to reach the fastlane and there are various ways to do that.

And I rather take action and have my vision clarify itself by being active, engaging the market and finding out what works and what doesn't - instead of spending valuable time thinking up my vision sitting behind my desk in a vacuum.

So... 100% agreed with the quote from Paul Graham.

JokerCrazyBeatz

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 1, 2016
Lol. I sometimes feel I don't even know where I want to go. I just like moving.

Here's a call where myself and @Nicoknowsbest discuss this (amongst other things):

I think the way to use these big ideas is not to try to identify a precise point in the future and then ask yourself how to get from here to there, like the popular image of a visionary. You'll be better off if you operate like Columbus and just head in a general westerly direction. Don't try to construct the future like a building, because your current blueprint is almost certainly mistaken. Start with something you know works, and when you expand, expand westward.

The popular image of the visionary is someone with a clear view of the future, but empirically it may be better to have a blurry one.

Full article:
This is really good ! That quote is A1

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.