The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

A. Rodriguez

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Jan 5, 2018
Nigeria
I'm currently 17 and in my first year in college. Picking up TMF and reading it through was undoubtedly the best choice I've ever made in my life. Had I not made that decision to get that book, my wealth strategy as an aspiring entrepreneur would have remained flawed.

So, I'm thinking of what I can start now to kickstart my Journey to freedom. I've already made up my mind not to get a corporate job after college. What are the choices that one can make at 17 that can lead one to success in the fastlane?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

GMSI7D

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jan 27, 2016
Lyon, France
Help people.

Scale.

Eat ice cream.

we have to be careful with that " help people " mantra

famous entrepreneurs like Jeff Walker and Eben Pagan teach that people are not logical when buying things

they don't know what they want and they have psychological biases as well ( buyers remorse )

the real reason why they buy things are often silly and counter intuitive:

like the wife wanting to lose weight so the husband won't cheat on her

instead of losing weight in order to become healthy like logic would guess.

instead of saying " helping people " , i prefer to say "managing the irrational desires of people "

this is reality whether we like it or not

Last edited:

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013
If you're in college, finish college. Being in college doesn't mean you cannot also be an entrepreneur. When you are allowed freedom in your assignments, include entrepreneurial elements. Use the TMFL and other books as your sources for papers. If you have to interview someone for a paper, try to interview MJ, etc.

KrzyszWawrzyniak

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Aug 4, 2017
Great Britain
I'm 19 and one half now. If I could turn back the time and be 17 again I would:

- Definitely go and do some volunteering, whether it's a house care, hospital, charity shop, whatever
- Certainly
talk to every girl
- Partying or clubbing, let's say once a week (no alcohol or buying drinks to everyone, just to go out and have some fun and perhaps meet some nice people)
- Start learning foreign languages including English which isn't my native language
- Realise that college and entire education (*cough* indoctrination *cough*) system sucks, therefore drop out from useless bullshit courses my smart (*cough*) parents choose for me and take only those that are necessary for medicine after choosing this field (or don't go to college altogether if I choose another field that doesn't require degree)
- Get some part-time job to have some pocket money I would spend on foreign languages education and books, which leads to;
- Read books!!! Yes, agonizing to start any book after being indoctri... ehkm, educated, and forced to read books about Eskimos & their doubtfully absorbing adventures and being marked at school afterwards (you know, you get 3 or worse - you're screwed...), but they're still one of the best things one can have on the shelves. Of course, I'm talking about education books, not Maze Runner or Pinocchio...

And I think there's a lot more smaller things I would do but can't be bothered with such details... The point is, change everything you're doing and certainly stop doing what everyone else's doing, e.g. stop F*cking posting on facebooks etc.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I wish I could restart at 17 (well... maybe 20, but 17 is close enough).

Here's the advice I would give:

- Freelance in every/any way possible. This will build your confidence in working with others, your business communication skills, and you'll get better at a number of skillsets you engage in. Everything is freelance-able these days. Writing. Transcription. Typing. Cold calling. Graphic Design. Consulting. Pick ANYTHING you are even remotely good at and give it a try. Even in the real world you can go door to door cutting grass or shoveling snow or whatever. If someone asks you to help them move - do it.

- Read more. A lot more. Get a kindle paperwhite (it's only like $100) and it will pay for itself very quickly with the money you'll save on books. There are also tons of public domain books. Libraries even lend out digital books. And of course there are "other" ways I won't advocate. The take-away is that you should be killing at LEAST a book a month. Two would be far better. Read business/psychology/self help/personal finance/biography/etc... anything non fiction. Fiction CAN be great (Atlas Shrugged, hint hint) but I'd really stick to the non-fiction 9 time out of 10.

- Here's the biggest, hardest one but it will only get harder the older you get: associate with the right people. You're friends right now are probably super-duper awesome folks who you've known your whole life that you couldn't imagine living without. They are also almost certainly the wrong people to help you get ahead in life. Try to make new friends right now with SUCCESSFUL folks. Folks who share the entrepreneurial spirit. In 10 years you'll either be talking about the latest Call of Duty game coming out, how expensive daycare is, what some jerk manager told your friend to do the other day (the nerve!) or you could be talking about solving each other's business problems and how to get further ahead in life. There's nothing wrong with having non-business friends (I have tons) but you should make a conscious effort to spend MORE time with those who will push you to be better. Normal people see success negatively and pull you down to stay with them on their level. If you don't think it's true just try refusing a free doughnut, bagel, or slice of pizza for "fitness reasons" around a bunch of unfit people. Successful people, on the other hand, push you up and genuinely hope you knock it out of the park with everything in life.

- Speaking of fitness, get fit. Join a gym. Workout some how. Eat healthy. Building good habits at 17 is far easier than breaking bad habits at 35 (ask me how I know...). Good health makes everything else in life easier. Avoid alcohol and drugs. Not that I have anything against these things but at 17 they are the easiest and most life destroying habits you can sidle up next to. Alcohol becomes a stress reliever. Drugs become your socialization. Those are two horrible crutches to break free from. If you insist on getting in bed with those two things, make it the rarest exceptions for special occasions, not a daily/weekly form of enjoyment.

- Get a job and aspire to get better jobs. If you go a year without looking for a new job, you're too comfortable. You don't have to GET a new job every year but you should be looking for upward movement at all times. You'll learn things at a job that can be very useful later. You'll get paid regularly, which is important. You'll learn more interpersonal skills. Take on extra challenges and keep your work load high. You'll learn how to not be lazy, not to procrastinate.

- Don't get complacent. You shouldn't spend very long at the same level. It's too easy to fall into that trap. Your mind loves habits and wants everything to stay comfortable but growth requires discomfort and movement. There's ALWAYS something to work on getting better at. If you go a few months without learning something new or working on improvement you are likely stuck in a mediocre frame of mind. Push yourself to be better. Eat a little healthier. Work out more efficiently. Make more phone calls to friends and family. Freelance a bit more. Find a better job. Do your current job a bit better. Solve a problem that you've been ignoring. Anything - just keep the upward attitude.

- Start a business, if possible. Some folks on here built their success upon skills they learned starting businesses at very young ages. This isn't the rule though - if you can make it work, great, but if not, don't worry about it. Starting a business is often expensive (for a 17 year old) and time consuming. Especially in school. If you see a way to do it, absolutely jump on it, but I'd argue the good habits built from the above are far more important right now.

Anyway - this is already getting too long. Everyone has their own path and you'll find yours. But IMHO the #1 most important thing is working on habits, social skills, and attitudes. At 17 you can either join the crowd (get a job, eat like shit, drown your sorrows in booze and drugs, complain about your boss, work whatever job you can get, and engage in escapist behaviors like video games and partying) or stand out from it (build things, get better at things, improve and grow in all areas of your life) and if you don't make that choice, it will be made for you. You'll wake up 10-20 years down the line and think "what the F*ck happened? I had so many plans". Don't let that be you.

Process

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Jul 19, 2017
Solving Pain
I'm currently 17 and in my first year in college. Picking up TMF and reading it through was undoubtedly the best choice I've ever made in my life. Had I not made that decision to get that book, my wealth strategy as an aspiring entrepreneur would have remained flawed.

So, I'm thinking of what I can start now to kickstart my Journey to freedom. I've already made up my mind not to get a corporate job after college. What are the choices that one can make at 17 that can lead one to success in the fastlane?

Work a basic retail or service job and flip things/freelance in your free time. Anything with copywriting or direct response.(web design, copywriting, direct mail, selling info, CL flipping, arbitrage, fixing stuff, cleaning service business, etc.)

Use that bankroll when you find a niche where the established players are holding out. Be the one who doesn't. Use your selling skills and problem solving processes you learned from flipping/freelancing to crush it. Also be the one who doesn't inflate their lifestyle till after they have FU money to do so.

Keep a notebook and reread TMF and Unscripted every month to see tangible results. Focus on one issue at a time. Improvement will be a ongoing process that depends on how much you put in.

Selling solves your only real problem of cashflow and uncertainty.

Make your own luck.

A. Rodriguez

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Jan 5, 2018
Nigeria
- Get a job and aspire to get better jobs. If you go a year without looking for a new job, you're too comfortable. You don't have to GET a new job every year but you should be looking for upward movement at all times. You'll learn things at a job that can be very useful later. You'll get paid regularly, which is important. You'll learn more interpersonal skills. Take on extra challenges and keep your work load high. You'll learn how to not be lazy, not to procrastinate.
Thanks for the suggestion. I can't get a job now because of college commitment. Nevertheless, I have an online business I'm building in my spare time. My target is to have a cashflowing business independent of my time.

A. Rodriguez

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Jan 5, 2018
Nigeria
Keep a notebook and reread TMF and Unscripted every month to see tangible results. Focus on one issue at a time. Improvement will be a ongoing process that depends on how much you put in.
I definitely go back to reread each of the books from time to time especially when i feel discouraged. I'll keep doing this as long as possible until I succeed financially. Then I gift it to others as the secret of my success.

Process

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Jul 19, 2017
Solving Pain
I definitely go back to reread each of the books from time to time especially when i feel discouraged. I'll keep doing this as long as possible until I succeed financially. Then I gift it to others as the secret of my success.

Sure. Treat it like a process where you take tangible and deliberate steps to change your life over time.

If you want the real secret, look at what the people you want to be like are doing and believing and process your way towards that. Use your own testing to tweak the working methods for even better value and results.

Make your aims measurable and based on what is happening. You'll be able to create methods and systems much more easily. From there, you will be able to have more space to be creative in how you serve value to your market.

In short, find things that work and keep stacking upon that. It is like the gumball machine analogy MJ gave in Unscripted . (That helped me a lot.)

Conclusion: Just crank away at "CENTS"ible probabilities.

A. Rodriguez

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Jan 5, 2018
Nigeria
Sure. Treat it like a process where you take tangible and deliberate steps to change your life over time.

If you want the real secret, look at what the people you want to be like are doing and believing and process your way towards that. Use your own testing to tweak the working methods for even better value and results.

Make your aims measurable and based on what is happening. You'll be able to create methods and systems much more easily. From there, you will be able to have more space to be creative in how you serve value to your market.

In short, find things that work and keep stacking upon that. It is like the gumball machine analogy MJ gave in Unscripted . (That helped me a lot.)

:check:

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
I've already made up my mind not to get a corporate job after college.

Sorry, that's stupid. Maybe a decent goal, but a stupid thing to just 'decide' at 17.

You have no idea if you're going to make it or not. Most people never make it.

Very, VERY few of us left college with a non-job income. The vast majority of Fastlaners here left college and took jobs. Some of them were cushy, 6-figure jobs that people say will 'sap your motivation'. My friend, having to go to work everyday is just the motivation you need.

A corporate job will pay you a decent amount, likely more than your living expenses if you continue to live like a student after college. So it's perfect, especially if you want to go off on your own as soon as possible.

---

Anyway, what should you do at 17?

Work hard at everything you do. Don't slack off in school because you feel like you're gonna get nowhere. You're there anyway. Put in the work.

Got a business idea you want to try out? Start it. Now. Even if it's just a 'whatever' business. Something is better than nothing. And put in the work.

And don't forget to have fun. College is one of the few times in your life where you will have the ability to socialize with people your age on a dime.

A. Rodriguez

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Jan 5, 2018
Nigeria

Yes! You're on point. The fastlane is not a destination as most people think. It's not the event. The fastlane is actually a mentality. A mindset. A choice. Its a process.

Money comes as a result of living the fastlane. Its a route that puts the probability of massive wealth in your favour accompanied with freedom to achieve your wildest dreams

MythOfSisyphus

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
521%
Jan 15, 2018
Australia
I'm not sure if it's a prerequisite to success (it's probably not) but I always feel like telling young want to be entrepreneurs to get at least 1 really shit job first.

A. Rodriguez

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Jan 5, 2018
Nigeria
My friend, having to go to work everyday is just the motivation you need.
After High School, I took up a 9-6 job for a full year before getting admitted into college. That experience alone made me hate corporate jobs. I hate to see my Dad rush everyday to meet up time at his work place. I've had my motivation.
A corporate job will pay you a decent amount, likely more than your living expenses if you continue to live like a student after college. So it's perfect, especially if you want to go off on your own as soon as possible.
Absolutely true. Hustling can still do same.
---
Anyway, what should you do at 17?

Work hard at everything you do. Don't slack off in school because you feel like you're gonna get nowhere. You're there anyway. Put in the work.

Got a business idea you want to try out? Start it. Now. Even if it's just a 'whatever' business. Something is better than nothing. And put in the work.

And don't forget to have fun. College is one of the few times in your life where you will have the ability to socialize with people your age on a dime.
Thanks for the advice. Much Appreciated

A. Rodriguez

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Jan 5, 2018
Nigeria
I'm not sure if it's a prerequisite to success (it's probably not) but I always feel like telling young want to be entrepreneurs to get at least 1 really sh*t job first.
The major thing is having some kind of backup if you fail in your attempts at building your business system. That could be from a job or hustling. I'll prefer a job anyway for the sake of security.

Real Deal Denver

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Jan 13, 2018
Denver, Colorado
Very, VERY few of us left college with a non-job income. The vast majority of Fastlaners here left college and took jobs. Some of them were cushy, 6-figure jobs that people say will 'sap your motivation'. My friend, having to go to work everyday is just the motivation you need.

I had a miserable job for several years. System administrator at IBM. But wow, oh wow, what I learned. I'm not talking about the technical stuff.

I had a rare opportunity to work side by side with incredibly talented people. It doesn't matter what the details are that I learned. What I learned, for the very first time, was how to "think." That was a turning point in my life, and I have used those skills to my great advantage ever since. Many people never get to see that, much less understand it. It's not a simple cliche - it's a process and a skill. In fact, I can't imagine being successful at anything at all without having this knowledge.

What a fantastic gift I received from a mere "job."

Work to learn. If you are not stretching the limits and growing, you're spinning your wheels and wasting your time. And you should never waste time, because time is what life is made of! Money is replaceable - skills can be rented or purchased - but time is irreplaceable. Never forget that!

One final thought. Being 17 is like being at the starting line of a 50,000 mile race. Don't worry about it. You have many miles, and a lot of time, to figure things out. Welcome failure along the way. If you don't fail, you're not trying hard enough. Success comes from experience. Experience comes from failure. Read what Thomas Edison said about failure. Also google what so many have to say about being an overnight success. Learn as much as you can from others that have gone before you. Don't reinvent the wheel when you don't have to.

A. Rodriguez

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Jan 5, 2018
Nigeria
What a fantastic gift I received from a mere "job."
This is interesting. Having a job has some real advantage. MJ got his limo idea that made him millions from having a job. But that is rare. ;)

Real Deal Denver

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Jan 13, 2018
Denver, Colorado
This is interesting. Having a job has some real advantage. MJ got his limo idea that made him millions from having a job. But that is rare. ;)

To the contrary, I think it would be very difficult to get an idea that is NOT based on some sort of experience (job?) in a business. An inside track of how a business works is a huge advantage.

I have learned things that books could never tell me, from every job I've ever had. That's what makes a pro a pro. I have mastered, inside out, some of the jobs I've had. Not very many people in those lines of work ever achieve that. I'm not smarter than they are - just much more determined. Anyone can do it if they can see it - believe it - then achieve it. I read that somewhere on a fortune cookie I think...

Even something that looks simple - like a pizza parlor - has many tricks of the trade that can be the difference between barely making it, or making a killing at it. I know a multi-millionaire that sold his CHAIN of pizza restaurants for much more than a small fortune. He started in the business part time being a "grunt" in the kitchen making pizzas. Now his HORSES live in comfort in their AIR CONDITIONED and HEATED stables. Better than some people live!

I know another guy that is a multi-millionaire from what he learned working part time when he was in high school. Lawn care. Simple right? Sure - but not the way he does it. He has a huge company and he owns that line of work in his market. He never stopped learning, and he taught himself how to "build" a business instead of just "working" at a business. Huge differences. He first became an expert at lawn care, and then an expert at how to monetize a business selling that service. All with only a high school education.

I know many other people that have similar success stories. It's certainly not a fluke like being in the right place at the right time. It's totally doable!

Dream big!

A. Rodriguez

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Jan 5, 2018
Nigeria
To the contrary, I think it would be very difficult to get an idea that is NOT based on some sort of experience (job?) in a business. An inside track of how a business works is a huge advantage.

I have learned things that books could never tell me, from every job I've ever had. That's what makes a pro a pro. I have mastered, inside out, some of the jobs I've had. Not very many people in those lines of work ever achieve that. I'm not smarter than they are - just much more determined. Anyone can do it if they can see it - believe it - then achieve it. I read that somewhere on a fortune cookie I think...

Even something that looks simple - like a pizza parlor - has many tricks of the trade that can be the difference between barely making it, or making a killing at it. I know a multi-millionaire that sold his CHAIN of pizza restaurants for much more than a small fortune. He started in the business part time being a "grunt" in the kitchen making pizzas. Now his HORSES live in comfort in their AIR CONDITIONED and HEATED stables. Better than some people live!

I know another guy that is a multi-millionaire from what he learned working part time when he was in high school. Lawn care. Simple right? Sure - but not the way he does it. He has a huge company and he owns that line of work in his market. He never stopped learning, and he taught himself how to "build" a business instead of just "working" at a business. Huge differences. He first became an expert at lawn care, and then an expert at how to monetize a business selling that service. All with only a high school education.

I know many other people that have similar success stories. It's certainly not a fluke like being in the right place at the right time. It's totally doable!

Dream big!
I agree with you. Having domain experience in form of a job is very useful in business. MJ knew about the limo industry and he was able to build his limo website that better suited the demands of the industry. The job experience played the role there. Awesome.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
But that is rare.

Not really? My business would not be possible without the job I had. I learned key skills. And every client I've had since then has taught me a lot. Where do you think ideas come from?

KrzyszWawrzyniak

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Aug 4, 2017
Great Britain
The first thing you need to do is complete your college studies.

Why do you say so?

Because in order to get rich you need to:
1. Go to school and graduate
2. Get a good job
3. Save money whilst living like a greedy Harpagon
4. Invest your money and get 10$ a month back because you know - 10$ a month is still something!!!
5. Trust your life savings
6. Hope you will keep this job for a few decades and hope your financial plan based on hope will work
7. And then, by the age of 70, you're gonna retire rich!

meridian_blue

Eternal Student
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
354%
Jun 11, 2017
Texas, United States
You might find this thread very useful:

What would you do at 16?

The only other thing I would add, since you are in college, is to ensure you finish with a degree that gives you a useful technical skillset and do it cost-effectively (incur as little debt as possible).

A. Rodriguez

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Jan 5, 2018
Nigeria
Because in order to get rich you need to:
1. Go to school and graduate
2. Get a good job
3. Save money whilst living like a greedy Harpagon
4. Invest your money and get 10$ a month back because you know - 10$ a month is still something!!!
5. Trust your life savings
6. Hope you will keep this job for a few decades and hope your financial plan based on hope will work
7. And then, by the age of 70, you're gonna retire rich!
LOL-worthy

ZeroTo100

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Feb 2, 2016
New York City / New Jersey

Find something that interests you. Work for them, learn their business, leave and do your own thing.

That’s what I did when I was your age and it paid off. People will tell you, read a book or take a course but the truth is, go get your hands dirty kid. Sometimes the best way to start isn’t always for yourself (although some might disagree here). Sometimes, it’s best to go out and get your hands dirty working for someone else, learn and make contacts, then leave.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.