The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What happens after I launch my website?

Share your FTE moment...

AMCarbonaro

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
Jul 28, 2011
Wayne County, Michigan
Hello everybody! Recently I have been doing a lot of research on my business venture. This will be my first major attempt at a business. I plan to create a website in which you could integrate all your social networks into one social network. It would not be a new type of social network, but a collage of all your networks in one website. Similar to a website called www.hootsuite.com but this website will involve having a profile with all your social networks on it. I believe in technical terms it would be API's.

I have done the research and I this is my plan: raise money, Create a photoshop design of the website and show it to a Proposer on Elance, have a team create the website! Sounds good right?! Well I have a couple questions which I know you guys can help me with :)

How would my website make money?
I know websites such as Facebook, twitter, and other social networks make money off of advertisements, but is that the only way to make money? Because I don't want to load my website up with a lot of adds. Or what if I made it into a subscription website? But that would draw less of a crowd. I am confused on how I would make money.

What happens after my website is complete?
After my website is complete I can buy a domain, I can create a Google Analytics account or something similar. But how would I manage profit? How do I keep up on coding and keeping my site from crashing?

I have seen many posts on how to create a website, but I haven't seen a forum on what happens after you launch a website. Basically I am asking how I would manage my website after I launch it?

Also, what do you think about an Entrepreneurship major? I am a senior in high school planning on majoring in computer science and entrepreneurship but many people have told me that entrepreneurship is not a good idea.

Thank You
-Anthony C.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
May 21, 2011
Your getting a bit ahead of yourself. Understand that websites are one tool to make a lot of money but there are many others. If building a successful website is what you believe you wish to do then take the time to learn how before you worry about turning it into a profitable business.

AMCarbonaro

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
Jul 28, 2011
Wayne County, Michigan
Your getting a bit ahead of yourself. Understand that websites are one tool to make a lot of money but there are many others. If building a successful website is what you believe you wish to do then take the time to learn how before you worry about turning it into a profitable business.

That's why I posted this thread. This website will be my business. And I do agree that I still have a lot to learn and that is why I am asking how to manage my site after I launch it. I have a great mindset on my goals but little knowledge on how to run a website.

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
May 21, 2011
That's why I posted this thread. This website will be my business. And I do agree that I still have a lot to learn and that is why I am asking how to manage my site after I launch it. I have a great mindset on my goals but little knowledge on how to run a website.

Go to google.com

Gold777

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
32%
Nov 3, 2011
Go to google.com

Seriously THIS. You're asking people how you can monetize your site? REALLY?

You're obviously not ready to run a site, or manage one if you don't know these basic answers. You need to go learn about websites on your own if you're seriously asking these questions though. You have absolutely no idea what you're doing so you need to do some reading and researching.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Basically, you just need to keep the website up and running. Your biggest cost will be paying the developer every time there is an issue or bug found.

You make sure your website is doing its job and that it stays up all the time and is fast.
You will need a developer to make any changes, fix any bugs and help out when things go down.
You keep your customers happy.
You collect money (somehow).

My opinion of your whole post is that you are going about things wrong. You are creating a website and then going to figure out how to make money from it later. How are you going to raise money for this project? An investor is going to want to know how you plan on getting their money back.

AMCarbonaro

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
Jul 28, 2011
Wayne County, Michigan
Woo relax! I'm here to learn not get embarrassed every time I start a thread. This website is a tool to help people with their needs and to learn new ideas etc. *I could of googled it or I could of bought another book, but I decided to ask the forum because I believed I would of received more information because I can actually converse and ask more questions if I am confused or need more help. I have a desire to become successful but people who give negative responses gives me less confidence in myself to keep my dreams alive. Just remember, at one point you didn't know how to monetize a website. *If you are not going to help, then don't reply. I'm here to better myself by asking these questions.*

PatrickP:*
I do know about those website, but websites like these do not have personal profile pages where users can create a collage of their networks. *But the dashboard is exactly what I'm looking for in terms of managing the networks.*

Biophase:
Thanks for the reply. I understand that I will have to keep in contact with my developer in case of problems, but I don't know much about investors or raising money. Do you know how these types of websites get investors interested? What would be the best way I could go about this?

Thanks
-Anthony C

adiakritos

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
May 30, 2011
don't worry man I'm in the same boat.

I'm literally sketching the entire site out on paper. It really gives me a good idea of what I want, where I want it, and even gives me some great ideas for features I'd like to add.

Also, sketching it out gives you a very clear idea of what you want as you define each page, and it also gets your creative juices flowing as far as how to monetize the site.

Here are some ways you can monetize the site:
google adsense
affiliate links
implementing a self serve ad system
charging a premium up front for a subscription to some service
sell stuff using paypal's buttons and or shopping carts
Collecting emails and selling or renting lists to complementary businesses
Asking for donations
Selling ad space to other companies
You can take a small fee per transaction if your site does something like, Like quibids.com, fiverr.com, ebay.com..etc

I can't really think of any more off the top of my head.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Making a website that monetizes simply off of affiliate programs isn't fastlane. It's called affiliate marketing.

And that idea isn't something I would personally use. Why would I want all my profiles on one single site?

Let me one-up your idea with one of my own; a social network search engine. Search by first/last name, skype username, AIM/Yahoo/ICQ screen names, profile names, etc. that monetizes off of advertising products that you and the person you are searching for may mutually like. This may be big money (or at least big traffic if employers get a hold of it)

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
May 21, 2011
My response isn't negative. This is not a forum for information on what you are asking. Understand that everyone on here made there money with pure desire to go out and get it, no one held our hand. If you want to learn, google has the answer.

max momo

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Mar 15, 2008
California
AmCarbonaro,

Good question.
After you have a website you need to:
a) fix the bugs
b) maintain it
c) market the site (reach, seo, PR, pr, etc)
d) perfect the site’s original intentions
e) grow the site while you grow your business models (add new revenue streams)
f) perfect the site/system
g) sell the site/system
h) repeat the process, but with a greater understanding/focus/efficiency

Bottom Line, your site/business will make you money if you solve people’s problems. Your first idea may not be the ultimate site that you build (and may not be the only site you build). Your idea will change over time as you change, as you get feedback during development stage, as you get feedback from users (beta stage). Also, you may find that your site simply isn’t making the money you had hoped, and perhaps you come up with a completely new/better idea later. So, don’t get too hung up on ‘What happens after what’s next”, instead focus on what NOW and what NEXT!

Why not learn to develop your first site yourself? You can do it. You are young enough to learn a new language or two, and have time on your side. Once you understand the language, process, system – then you can pay someone to maintain/improve your original site and build your next site. At that point you will at least understand the basics and be in a better position to write the scope of work, bid out work, estimate costs, and generally negotiate from a position of strength/understanding vs. where you are now.

Good luck!

Kid Money

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
229%
Mar 1, 2012
458 Said this a forum of information but yet he directs you to google.. Seems like a bit of a contradiction to me. You will run into people like him all throughout life. Just ignore them. I can't tell you a whole lot about websites because I don't have one YET. When people tell you you are in over your head they are full of crap. What I can tell you is ACT NOW! get a basic idea of what you want and get the site going or at least designed. If you can't afford it then start saving or create some way to generate the money to make it starting TOMORROW. I had an idea about 2 weeks ago that I know will bank a lot of money off the web so even before I had every single idea down I went to a web designer and they are a few weeks out anyway. I have a few weeks to iron everything out and not to mention that the web designers have great ideas and can hint to you on how you could possibly make money. In a nutshell just get the ball rolling in one way or the other. The longer you wait the longer it will take and you will think your way out of a good idea. IMO I wouldn't charge a fee or subscription. People shy away from that it seems. Most sites like yours take a long time of no profit to become profitable through advertising. All you can do is put your heart and soul into it and see where that takes you.Another thing bro... Just because you are young don't let people like 458 push you around. I am 23 and when I started a very successful business last year I had all those 40 year olds that tried pushing me around working for me. Fastlane is whatever you consider it in my book as long as you have a goal and can turn some kind of profit in some time.

Darkside

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Jul 4, 2010
San Diego

I have done the research and I this is my plan: raise money, Create a photoshop design of the website and show it to a Proposer on Elance, have a team create the website! Sounds good right?!

Actually that sounds terrible. Don't mean to insult you or put you down, but no investor will give you money so that you can have someone build your site for you on elance, especially since your concept has already been done by many other businesses. Investors typically like to have at least one founder who is technically skilled so that they don't have to outsource the job of building the site to someone else.

And, they won't just give you money for an idea; you actually have to show them a finished site with traction; as in a certain number of users registered, certain amount of revenue, etc. Unless you've already successfully built a company that IPO'ed or sold for hundreds of millions of dollars, then they won't invest in you just for having an idea. Venture capitalists typically fund 1 out of every 1000 entrepreneurs that pitch to them.

Likwid24

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Mar 26, 2011
Staten Island, NY
You should at least do some research, read some books and have some sort of basic knowledge about what your doing before you come on here and ask everyone tovspoon feed you. I don't mean to sound like a dick but your going about this all wrong. You need to learn to walk before you could run. Take baby steps. At least have some knowledge or idea on your subject before you ask a question.

You can't come on here expecting everyone else to do the dirty work for you, especially if they see you put in very little effort yourself. Hard work is what makes people successful. If you can't put in the work then you wil never succeed.

Sorry man. I know your young but someone has to tell it like it is or you'll expect to get spoon fed your whole life. Not a recipe for success.

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
May 21, 2011
you should at least do some research, read some books and have some sort of basic knowledge about what your doing before you come on here and ask everyone tovspoon feed you. I don't mean to sound like a dick but your going about this all wrong. You need to learn to walk before you could run. Take baby steps. At least have some knowledge or idea on your subject before you ask a question.

You can't come on here expecting everyone else to do the dirty work for you, especially if they see you put in very little effort yourself. Hard work is what makes people successful. If you can't put in the work then you wil never succeed.

Sorry man. I know your young but someone has to tell it like it is or you'll expect to get spoon fed your whole life. Not a recipe for success.

google.com!

Mike39

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 17, 2012
Orlando, FL
Actually that sounds terrible.

I agree completely, AMCarbonaro I suggest you watch the show shark tank if you are looking to see how the very basic investor process works but I saw in your post you haven't thought about getting an investor, about the web design, DON'T outsource it!, you should at the very least try to bring someone on who can do web design that you trust as an employee, then you can pay them a salary and save a BUNCH of money compared to hiring a 3rd party, also, have you ever considered learning web design on your own? I am currently in the process of learning and it is not as hard as some people would like you to believe, it just takes time and dedication. PM me if you have any questions I would be glad to give you any advice i can or just bounce ideas off each other. Good luck in your business!

hedgehog757

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
Jan 24, 2012
New York
You seem to be getting good advice from everyone here. if you don't know what you are doing, LEARN it or find someone who can create what you want and work with them. If you outsource your projects you are not going to get anyone who cares about what you are doing the same way you do.
The one thing it takes to make money is HARD WORK. And then when it pays off, hopefully it is not so hard anymore

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
I never actually considered having someone invest in my website. I don't believe it is necessary, or am I wrong?

I think it depends upon your personality and how much money you have.

Some people HATE to have loans or to owe other people. Perhaps their business will not grow as fast as it could if they took out loans and got investors but there is something to be said about having peace of mind. But then again all of the profit will be theirs.

If you are the sort of person who will not lay awake at night worrying how you will pay back your loans or how your investors may lose all their money then perhaps loans and investors are the way to go for you. You will be sharing the profits but they may be much larger because you were able to start the business faster because of their investments/loans.

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
Hey Man don't be worried about asking for help.

IF a person doesn't want to help they can always so no.

I have been pleasantly surprised by how helpful other company owners have been to me over the years. Even when we are in the same industry and could be considered rivals.

I have been fortunate enough to have opportunities to help others who are starting similar businesses. The more you help the more you receive I truly believe.

Likwid24

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Mar 26, 2011
Staten Island, NY
Patrick, Just so you know, this is the same guy who has started numerous threads with almost the same topic. Either, "I have an idea for a product, what should I do?" or "I have a great idea for a website, Where do i begin". Go to his profile and look at all the threads he has started. Their all the same. New idea every week - NO Action. Wants everyone to spoon feed him everything. He basically wants people to tell him exactly how to run his site or create his product, step by step, without him doing any of the necessary work himself.

Many people have tried giving him very valuable advise, including myself. I don't think he has taken one bit of it. He's never going to learn on his own. He needs to go back an read all of the advise given to him in previous threads then start doing some of the hard work, that it takes to get to the fastlane, himself. It's the only way he will learn. Otherwise your going to see the same threads over and over again.

AmCarbs- Have you even read the MFL yet? I saw that you bought it but did you open it yet?

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
Ah ok Likwid24. You are right I did not realize that.

Thank you for the heads up.

longlivemedia

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Mar 8, 2012
Houston, TX
Hi AMCarbonaro, you don't seem to have any idea of what your planned website is supposed to be about yet you are already thinking of how to earn from it. If you don't know where to start, try researching. Learn from various resources available online, and as someone has already pointed out, Google. Or better yet, focus on your studies first. Entrepreneurship is not a bad idea.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.