The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Struggling to monetize audience both via email, website and social media for niche site

Idea threads

nicheevolution

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Jan 10, 2020
So I have a niche dating site that is about 2 years old and a yt channel with about 10k subs and a small email list of around 250ish subs. My audience loves my content but they don't want to open their wallets. In fact, this was the reason why I stopped posting new content on my site a while back. I used to get a tonne of emails from site visitors asking me for dating advice, yet not a single one of them ever gave me a cent. In fact, after coaching one particular person with several back and forth emails, I told him if he wanted more help he should pay for coaching. I never heard back from the guy. I thought that if I gave my readers value by helping them out they would return the favor and become loyal paying supporters. Boy was I wrong.

Once I put up a notice on my contact page saying if anyone wants personal dating advice then they need to sign up for paid coaching along with my coaching price, all of the emails stopped after that lol. I still occasionally had a few people emailing me trying to bum off free coaching, but I was firm on my stance that they needed to pay me for my time or there would be no coaching and I never heard back from them. I got really annoyed with this to the point where I had to put down a notice on my contact page saying either pay up or get lost. Not in those exact words but you get the picture lol and the emails stopped coming in. This really got on my nerves with the readers just sucking value but not reciprocating anything back.

I tried to promote affiliate offers but only made around 1k max and tried to put ads on the site through ezoic but only made around $60. It also slowed my site down and caused my rankings to drop. That along with algorithm update wiped out 80% of my traffic. I got rid of the ads but the site never went back to the previous traffic levels.

I also stopped my newsletter as it was costing me too much money and I hadn't made anything off of the email list and I also didn't feel like writing anymore content for free for these people.

In addition, I didn't really post much anymore on my yt channel as I can't film any new footage for my videos and had to rely on stock footage but the views are abysmal once I switched over.

I did manage to get 2 coaching clients after I implemented the change (1 just a few days ago), however Its not good enough. I also added in a buy me a coffee button and a donation button on my free newsletter + a patreon. I got a few patreon signups but nothing major and they soon left. I got like only 2 donations.

I'm considering turning the site into a paid membership/paid newsletter site with the convertkit plugin but I don't know if this is a good idea. Prior to this about a 1.5 years ago, I had the idea of writing a dating ebook product, however I scrapped the idea as I only had about 50 opt-ins on a landing page for a pre-sale and I also didn't like the idea of spending months creating the ebook only to make like $20-30 off a sale and that would be it. Instead, I think to make it more sustainable I would need to find out a way to make income recurring and that led to me thinking about a paid newsletter/membership site. Also with a paid newsletter/membership site, the time to write a newsletter/article is way less than an ebook. The paid newsletter/premium articles of course would be very niche specific. I became very wary later on to sharing really good tips and how to's once I realized people didn't want to pay so I didn't share any of these info with the readers. I actually had someone tell me that they love my current content but wanted me to give more practical advice in my free newsletter articles (yeah right pal) after which I told him I was saving that for a paid member section. Never heard back from the guy.

In addition, recently after doing some research, I learned about tripwires. One of the reasons why I stopped my free newsletter was because of the cost. Now with tripwires, I can at least recover some of the costs. This got me thinking that maybe I should make a few of these low cost products and try to sell them to my email list.

I'm also considering looking for other quick ways of developing digital products like maybe a dating template of some sort or mini ebooks. I used to create lead magnets from canva that looked very professional and now I'm thinking instead of giving those away, I can sell them at a very low cost like $5-7.

Lastly, after my recent coaching session with a client, it made me realize that I was going about coaching wrong. Rather than charging per a session, I should have focused on long term results via a coaching package through a set period of time eg. 3-6 months. This way I would have made more money and also would have helped the client achieve their goals instead of just giving them advice for a one off coaching session.

I'm thinking going forward, maybe I should create several tripwires. Next create several lead magnets and use it on my site and youtube channel and then redirect new signups to a page with my trip wire and then on my welcome email sequence, I pitch them my paid newsletter as well? Later on, I pitch them my dating templates/mini ebooks as well along with my coaching packages? Also any new articles that I publish on my site would be paywalled and asking the reader to pay for access.

What do you guys think about my plans for monetization? I am still very much a newbie when it comes to monetization. At this point I'm pretty close to giving up and lost all motivation to create anymore content if its only going to be given away for free. What do you guys think? Am I wasting my time with this dating site? Should I pivot my content to travel? I had several videos on my yt channel that did very well on the topic of travel. I'm seriously contemplating spending 3 months going traveling and filming a tonne of content based on content gaps. I did my research by looking by questions and comments left on my own yt channel as well as competitors. I think I could do well here, especially now that I have a lot more experience making yt vidoes but of course there's no guarantee.

Also I should mention while I stopped working on my dating site, I shifted towards creating a website in the baking/cooking niche and also worked on a new baking/cooking yt channel. Unfortunately I quickly realized that the cooking/baking niche is super saturated and highly competitive even if you niche down. Growth has been much slower than my dating niche, however I'm starting to see a little growth now. I'm currently around 900ish subs and get over 1k pageviews on my website and starting to see traffic increase a little bit. I only have around 29 videos on yt (23 are long form) and it takes me a while to create the videos so I don't post often and when a video flops, it really stings and makes me question whether or not to continue. It's not that my content is bad, in fact, I get a lot more views than my subscriber count with several videos in the 5 figures now despite being in a highly competitive niche, but its just that yt's algorithm screws up suggesting my content to the right audience. I've been suggested alongside, video game videos, marriage and divorce videos, hair cutting videos, movie trailers, foreign language content that has nothing to do with my content. Naturally this causes a very low CTR and AVD and then my videos don't get pushed out. However, once the video does start being recommended alongside similar recipe videos then I can see an uptick in views and my CTR and AVD increases. It just happened recently with one of my cookie videos. The video flopped when it was released and after a year now, it has started to climb in views again. I predict sometime in the future, I will see a big uptick in views on a lot of my older videos as the algorithm starts suggesting it to the right audience. The yt channel unfortunately isn't monetized yet, but I'm confident I will reach 1k subs within 1-2 months, and potentially reach the 4k watch hours in 2-4 months.

I haven't posted a lot of articles on the new site as I was focused on youtube, however now I'm starting to shift my focus more on my blog, hoping to publish more articles so that I can get into a premium ad network like mediavine/adthrive. I don't have an email list yet for the cooking blog as the traffic is still tiny and I don't want to spend money paying for an email service provider if I can't recoup the costs. However after learning about tripwires, this made me curious about the possibility about using that to recoup my email service costs. I know some cooking websites use tripwires like mini ebooks/ grocery shopping lists/ meal prep templates which I'll probably implement as well as another avenue for monetization. The cooking niche to me seems a lot easier to monetize and is "advertiser friendly" compared to the dating niche but at the same time is way more tougher to break into. Based on my research, most of the cooking websites on average need somewhere between 100-150 articles to reach the required traffic levels to get into these premium ad networks. I'm currently at 29 articles so far and I figure if I were to drop everything and just focus on my blog, I could potentially pump out between 10-15 articles a month. So in less than 10 months I could potentially hit the required traffic levels. Now this is of course, if I don't get hit with any google algorithm updates. However to mediate this issue, I'm going to diversify my traffic sources through pinterest, and also my youtube videos. My yt videos seem to be bringing in decent traffic (around 15%) to my site automatically without me doing any promotion. Later down the line, I will add in instagram, tiktok, and IG as well. I did try tiktok and instagram very early on with shorts but got nowhere.

What are your thoughts guys? Am I beating a dead horse with the dating niche website and yt channel focused on dating? Should I give the membership/paid newsletter idea a try? Should I pivot my yt channel to focus on travel content specifically? or should I just focus on my cooking website and try to get into an ad agency asap + add in digital products?

Option 1: Turn dating site into paid newsletter/membership site. Use lead magnets from my site plus youtube to generate leads. Then redirect them to a tripwire offer right after the signup for my lead magnet and then run them with a welcome email sequence funnel and pitch my paid newsletter offer to them. Also look at developing some more quick low cost digital products to sell to the audience.

Option 2: Abandon the site, and shift towards focusing on my youtube channel targeting more travel related content which did well in the past. Save up some money and go on a multi-month trip and film a tonne of content (60+ videos) targeting unfilled content gaps in the market. Not sure how else to monetize this. Make a new travel website and funnel traffic there through yt and sell traveling guides? Post more articles to bump traffic levels up and then apply to mediavine/ad thrive?

Option 3: Abandon the old site and channel completely and focus exclusively on new website and yt channel. Try to pump out as much content as possible on my blog to get traffic levels up to get into mediavine/Ad-thrive. Diversify traffic sources to meditate google algorithm updates and build backlinks through recipe sharing groups. Also create an email list and add in trip-wire offers later on.

Sorry if this has been posted in the wrong section. I wasn't sure where to post it.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Aidan04

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Apr 27, 2022
United States
D523769B-8D69-4888-AD96-2964227D59CB.jpeg

Evelio

MarketingLoopholes.com
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
May 21, 2014
Miami
So I have a niche dating site that is about 2 years old and a yt channel with about 10k subs and a small email list of around 250ish subs. My audience loves my content but they don't want to open their wallets. In fact, this was the reason why I stopped posting new content on my site a while back. I used to get a tonne of emails from site visitors asking me for dating advice, yet not a single one of them ever gave me a cent. In fact, after coaching one particular person with several back and forth emails, I told him if he wanted more help he should pay for coaching. I never heard back from the guy. I thought that if I gave my readers value by helping them out they would return the favor and become loyal paying supporters. Boy was I wrong.

Once I put up a notice on my contact page saying if anyone wants personal dating advice then they need to sign up for paid coaching along with my coaching price, all of the emails stopped after that lol. I still occasionally had a few people emailing me trying to bum off free coaching, but I was firm on my stance that they needed to pay me for my time or there would be no coaching and I never heard back from them. I got really annoyed with this to the point where I had to put down a notice on my contact page saying either pay up or get lost. Not in those exact words but you get the picture lol and the emails stopped coming in. This really got on my nerves with the readers just sucking value but not reciprocating anything back.

I tried to promote affiliate offers but only made around 1k max and tried to put ads on the site through ezoic but only made around $60. It also slowed my site down and caused my rankings to drop. That along with algorithm update wiped out 80% of my traffic. I got rid of the ads but the site never went back to the previous traffic levels.

I also stopped my newsletter as it was costing me too much money and I hadn't made anything off of the email list and I also didn't feel like writing anymore content for free for these people.

In addition, I didn't really post much anymore on my yt channel as I can't film any new footage for my videos and had to rely on stock footage but the views are abysmal once I switched over.

I did manage to get 2 coaching clients after I implemented the change (1 just a few days ago), however Its not good enough. I also added in a buy me a coffee button and a donation button on my free newsletter + a patreon. I got a few patreon signups but nothing major and they soon left. I got like only 2 donations.

I'm considering turning the site into a paid membership/paid newsletter site with the convertkit plugin but I don't know if this is a good idea. Prior to this about a 1.5 years ago, I had the idea of writing a dating ebook product, however I scrapped the idea as I only had about 50 opt-ins on a landing page for a pre-sale and I also didn't like the idea of spending months creating the ebook only to make like $20-30 off a sale and that would be it. Instead, I think to make it more sustainable I would need to find out a way to make income recurring and that led to me thinking about a paid newsletter/membership site. Also with a paid newsletter/membership site, the time to write a newsletter/article is way less than an ebook. The paid newsletter/premium articles of course would be very niche specific. I became very wary later on to sharing really good tips and how to's once I realized people didn't want to pay so I didn't share any of these info with the readers. I actually had someone tell me that they love my current content but wanted me to give more practical advice in my free newsletter articles (yeah right pal) after which I told him I was saving that for a paid member section. Never heard back from the guy.

In addition, recently after doing some research, I learned about tripwires. One of the reasons why I stopped my free newsletter was because of the cost. Now with tripwires, I can at least recover some of the costs. This got me thinking that maybe I should make a few of these low cost products and try to sell them to my email list.

I'm also considering looking for other quick ways of developing digital products like maybe a dating template of some sort or mini ebooks. I used to create lead magnets from canva that looked very professional and now I'm thinking instead of giving those away, I can sell them at a very low cost like $5-7.

Lastly, after my recent coaching session with a client, it made me realize that I was going about coaching wrong. Rather than charging per a session, I should have focused on long term results via a coaching package through a set period of time eg. 3-6 months. This way I would have made more money and also would have helped the client achieve their goals instead of just giving them advice for a one off coaching session.

I'm thinking going forward, maybe I should create several tripwires. Next create several lead magnets and use it on my site and youtube channel and then redirect new signups to a page with my trip wire and then on my welcome email sequence, I pitch them my paid newsletter as well? Later on, I pitch them my dating templates/mini ebooks as well along with my coaching packages? Also any new articles that I publish on my site would be paywalled and asking the reader to pay for access.

What do you guys think about my plans for monetization? I am still very much a newbie when it comes to monetization. At this point I'm pretty close to giving up and lost all motivation to create anymore content if its only going to be given away for free. What do you guys think? Am I wasting my time with this dating site? Should I pivot my content to travel? I had several videos on my yt channel that did very well on the topic of travel. I'm seriously contemplating spending 3 months going traveling and filming a tonne of content based on content gaps. I did my research by looking by questions and comments left on my own yt channel as well as competitors. I think I could do well here, especially now that I have a lot more experience making yt vidoes but of course there's no guarantee.

Also I should mention while I stopped working on my dating site, I shifted towards creating a website in the baking/cooking niche and also worked on a new baking/cooking yt channel. Unfortunately I quickly realized that the cooking/baking niche is super saturated and highly competitive even if you niche down. Growth has been much slower than my dating niche, however I'm starting to see a little growth now. I'm currently around 900ish subs and get over 1k pageviews on my website and starting to see traffic increase a little bit. I only have around 29 videos on yt (23 are long form) and it takes me a while to create the videos so I don't post often and when a video flops, it really stings and makes me question whether or not to continue. It's not that my content is bad, in fact, I get a lot more views than my subscriber count with several videos in the 5 figures now despite being in a highly competitive niche, but its just that yt's algorithm screws up suggesting my content to the right audience. I've been suggested alongside, video game videos, marriage and divorce videos, hair cutting videos, movie trailers, foreign language content that has nothing to do with my content. Naturally this causes a very low CTR and AVD and then my videos don't get pushed out. However, once the video does start being recommended alongside similar recipe videos then I can see an uptick in views and my CTR and AVD increases. It just happened recently with one of my cookie videos. The video flopped when it was released and after a year now, it has started to climb in views again. I predict sometime in the future, I will see a big uptick in views on a lot of my older videos as the algorithm starts suggesting it to the right audience. The yt channel unfortunately isn't monetized yet, but I'm confident I will reach 1k subs within 1-2 months, and potentially reach the 4k watch hours in 2-4 months.

I haven't posted a lot of articles on the new site as I was focused on youtube, however now I'm starting to shift my focus more on my blog, hoping to publish more articles so that I can get into a premium ad network like mediavine/adthrive. I don't have an email list yet for the cooking blog as the traffic is still tiny and I don't want to spend money paying for an email service provider if I can't recoup the costs. However after learning about tripwires, this made me curious about the possibility about using that to recoup my email service costs. I know some cooking websites use tripwires like mini ebooks/ grocery shopping lists/ meal prep templates which I'll probably implement as well as another avenue for monetization. The cooking niche to me seems a lot easier to monetize and is "advertiser friendly" compared to the dating niche but at the same time is way more tougher to break into. Based on my research, most of the cooking websites on average need somewhere between 100-150 articles to reach the required traffic levels to get into these premium ad networks. I'm currently at 29 articles so far and I figure if I were to drop everything and just focus on my blog, I could potentially pump out between 10-15 articles a month. So in less than 10 months I could potentially hit the required traffic levels. Now this is of course, if I don't get hit with any google algorithm updates. However to mediate this issue, I'm going to diversify my traffic sources through pinterest, and also my youtube videos. My yt videos seem to be bringing in decent traffic (around 15%) to my site automatically without me doing any promotion. Later down the line, I will add in instagram, tiktok, and IG as well. I did try tiktok and instagram very early on with shorts but got nowhere.

What are your thoughts guys? Am I beating a dead horse with the dating niche website and yt channel focused on dating? Should I give the membership/paid newsletter idea a try? Should I pivot my yt channel to focus on travel content specifically? or should I just focus on my cooking website and try to get into an ad agency asap + add in digital products?

Option 1: Turn dating site into paid newsletter/membership site. Use lead magnets from my site plus youtube to generate leads. Then redirect them to a tripwire offer right after the signup for my lead magnet and then run them with a welcome email sequence funnel and pitch my paid newsletter offer to them. Also look at developing some more quick low cost digital products to sell to the audience.

Option 2: Abandon the site, and shift towards focusing on my youtube channel targeting more travel related content which did well in the past. Save up some money and go on a multi-month trip and film a tonne of content (60+ videos) targeting unfilled content gaps in the market. Not sure how else to monetize this. Make a new travel website and funnel traffic there through yt and sell traveling guides? Post more articles to bump traffic levels up and then apply to mediavine/ad thrive?

Option 3: Abandon the old site and channel completely and focus exclusively on new website and yt channel. Try to pump out as much content as possible on my blog to get traffic levels up to get into mediavine/Ad-thrive. Diversify traffic sources to meditate google algorithm updates and build backlinks through recipe sharing groups. Also create an email list and add in trip-wire offers later on.

Sorry if this has been posted in the wrong section. I wasn't sure where to post it.
Hey,

First of all, what you are experiencing is not uncommon.

We're often told to give value...

But there has to be a clear path and reason for the free content to exist, or we risk working for free...

And we end up attracting people who are simply looking for in-the-moment information.

That said, I don't think it's possible to give you clear and specific advice without knowing more about the business...

And examining the content and offers you have presented.

It would be like asking, "My car is not working, how can I fix it?"...

Unless the mechanic was born with some Harry Potter wizard-like magical powers...

It's going to be hard to diagnose the problem without seeing the car.

Your long post reflects that you lack clarity.

Here is a general idea of what I would do in your case:

First, you need clarity. A confused and overactive mind cannot solve problems.

So, I would sit down and look at the different projects you have.

Then, pick one and get rid of the others.

Sell them, get rid of them, or put them on the back burner.

Those are all shiny objects and will keep requiring attention like a needy child.

Then, put all your effort and resources into making ONE project work.

Read that sentence again...

Once you pick one, write down your current bottlenecks in that project...

The bottleneck is the main thing that is keeping you from making progress...

Is it traffic, products, or low-quality offers?

Hire a mentor or coach...

Or research and implement information based on your current bottleneck.

So if your current problem is your offers are not working...

Then hire someone good at creating offers and ask them to look over yours.

I'll stop writing now to avoid confusing you more.

Let's do this...

Pick one of the projects you have made the most progress in...

Post your choice here.

And commit to making that one work no matter what.

Then, we can brainstorm the next step.

Cheers,
Evelio

Ps. Again, what you are facing is not uncommon. But it is something you need to stop, or you're going to go in circles for years.

nicheevolution

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Jan 10, 2020
Hey,

But there has to be a clear path and reason for the free content to exist, or we risk working for free...

And we end up attracting people who are simply looking for in-the-moment information.

That said, I don't think it's possible to give you clear and specific advice without knowing more about the business...

Unless the mechanic was born with some Harry Potter wizard-like magical powers...

Those are all shiny objects and will keep requiring attention like a needy child.

Let's do this...

Post your choice here.

Cheers,
Evelio

Ps. Again, what you are facing is not uncommon. But it is something you need to stop, or you're going to go in circles for years.
Thank you for the reply. Well to be honest, I kind of lost passion for writing to my dating niche. It was attracting a certain demographic which I frankly despised and they were overly cheap too. It was never my intention to attract these people however I guess for whatever reason they flew to my site like flies. My original plan, 2 years ago was to turn the site into a paid membership site, however at that time, I couldn't find a wordpress membership plugin that did not have recurring yearly fees which I didn't want to pay for since I wasn't making much money off of the site. In addition, I encountered some issues with paypal limiting my business account and asking me to send them my social security info which I refused. Later on, they then started asking me to give them a business license number which I did not have. So I pretty much abandoned the idea of that until recently when convertkit came out with their paid newsletter option and more recently being able to gate your content on your site, however there is no drip feed function which I believe is important if you want to get visitors to come back on subsequent months.

I didn't ponder this idea again until last week when I coached a client off of my dating site which made me think perhaps I'm giving up on it too quickly, and when I tested it with convertkit, they used stripe and my real name was not exposed which I liked, although I have seen several bigger sites in my dating niche close up shop in the past few years. One of them citing in their free newsletter they were closing up shop because "You guys like reading my content, but you don't like it enough to pay me for it", which makes me feel like perhaps the issue is with the niche itself that tends to attract a lot of penny pinching cheapskates.

And yes you are right. I'm spread out too thin and lack clarity. Its because I couldn't get any of them to successfully launch which left me in a stressed out and in a dilemma for a few days. In fact I couldn't get any work done these past 2 days because of worrying about which direction to go. Reading your reply to me now, I feel like the dating membership site idea should be put on the backburner for the time being.

My original plan prior to considering revamping my old site and turning it into a membership site was to focus on monetizing my new yt channel and cooking blog, although this has been quite the struggle. In addition, I had planned on sometime later this year refocusing my efforts back on my old yt channel as youtube requires you to upload at least 1 video every 6 months or so to keep monetization and I didn't want to lose that. I figured I could go back to filming travel content but this time being much more prepared with an outline, scripts, thumbnail ideas, etc prior to flying out. The first time I actually wasn't prepared and ended up giving up too soon and quit filming content while I was traveling. This ended up hurting me in the end when the channel suddenly started to grow and I had several videos in the 6 figure view mark yet I had already left the country with no additional footage to upload and then covid hit. My goal this time around was to plan out around 50-80 video ideas that I would then film when I travel for a few months. Then this would have given me about a a year to 1.5 years worth of content to put out. When I return home, I could focus slowly pumping out 1 video a month to maintain a little bit of growth and passive income while I focused most of my efforts on my food blog and growing that. The goal originally was to get at least 50-70 blog posts published on my blog prior to traveling. That way when I returned home, adding an additional 30-50 more blog posts wouldn't be that huge of a deal plus all of my old blog posts that I published would have had time to marinate and slowly move up in rankings whereby putting me in a good place site traffic wise.

I sort of understand what the issue is with my new food site. It's traffic, mainly brought upon by a lack of content and also not being able to outrank competitors with much higher domain authority scores. I think if I can get my blog posts up to around 70 or at least 60 then that would put me in a good position to monetize going forward.

Evelio

MarketingLoopholes.com
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
May 21, 2014
Miami
Thank you for the reply. Well to be honest, I kind of lost passion for writing to my dating niche. It was attracting a certain demographic which I frankly despised and they were overly cheap too. It was never my intention to attract these people however I guess for whatever reason they flew to my site like flies. My original plan, 2 years ago was to turn the site into a paid membership site, however at that time, I couldn't find a wordpress membership plugin that did not have recurring yearly fees which I didn't want to pay for since I wasn't making much money off of the site. In addition, I encountered some issues with paypal limiting my business account and asking me to send them my social security info which I refused. Later on, they then started asking me to give them a business license number which I did not have. So I pretty much abandoned the idea of that until recently when convertkit came out with their paid newsletter option and more recently being able to gate your content on your site, however there is no drip feed function which I believe is important if you want to get visitors to come back on subsequent months.

I didn't ponder this idea again until last week when I coached a client off of my dating site which made me think perhaps I'm giving up on it too quickly, and when I tested it with convertkit, they used stripe and my real name was not exposed which I liked, although I have seen several bigger sites in my dating niche close up shop in the past few years. One of them citing in their free newsletter they were closing up shop because "You guys like reading my content, but you don't like it enough to pay me for it", which makes me feel like perhaps the issue is with the niche itself that tends to attract a lot of penny pinching cheapskates.

And yes you are right. I'm spread out too thin and lack clarity. Its because I couldn't get any of them to successfully launch which left me in a stressed out and in a dilemma for a few days. In fact I couldn't get any work done these past 2 days because of worrying about which direction to go. Reading your reply to me now, I feel like the dating membership site idea should be put on the backburner for the time being.

My original plan prior to considering revamping my old site and turning it into a membership site was to focus on monetizing my new yt channel and cooking blog, although this has been quite the struggle. In addition, I had planned on sometime later this year refocusing my efforts back on my old yt channel as youtube requires you to upload at least 1 video every 6 months or so to keep monetization and I didn't want to lose that. I figured I could go back to filming travel content but this time being much more prepared with an outline, scripts, thumbnail ideas, etc prior to flying out. The first time I actually wasn't prepared and ended up giving up too soon and quit filming content while I was traveling. This ended up hurting me in the end when the channel suddenly started to grow and I had several videos in the 6 figure view mark yet I had already left the country with no additional footage to upload and then covid hit. My goal this time around was to plan out around 50-80 video ideas that I would then film when I travel for a few months. Then this would have given me about a a year to 1.5 years worth of content to put out. When I return home, I could focus slowly pumping out 1 video a month to maintain a little bit of growth and passive income while I focused most of my efforts on my food blog and growing that. The goal originally was to get at least 50-70 blog posts published on my blog prior to traveling. That way when I returned home, adding an additional 30-50 more blog posts wouldn't be that huge of a deal plus all of my old blog posts that I published would have had time to marinate and slowly move up in rankings whereby putting me in a good place site traffic wise.

I sort of understand what the issue is with my new food site. It's traffic, mainly brought upon by a lack of content and also not being able to outrank competitors with much higher domain authority scores. I think if I can get my blog posts up to around 70 or at least 60 then that would put me in a good position to monetize going forward.
I'm not a fan of either of those business models you mentioned.

Depending on one source of traffic that is not under your control is like the old saying: don't build a castle on top of moving sand.

It will eventually sink.

Now I know that doesn't help you much...

So, if you're up for it...

Post some of your current sites so I can see your current assets and devise a plan to get them to get traffic.

And most importantly, make money.

If you don't want to share them in public, send me a message.

I'll answer here without sharing the details of your sites so other people can benefit from the ideas and add to them as well.

nicheevolution

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Jan 10, 2020
I'm not a fan of either of those business models you mentioned.

Depending on one source of traffic that is not under your control is like the old saying: don't build a castle on top of moving sand.

It will eventually sink.

Now I know that doesn't help you much...

So, if you're up for it...

Post some of your current sites so I can see your current assets and devise a plan to get them to get traffic.

And most importantly, make money.

If you don't want to share them in public, send me a message.

I'll answer here without sharing the details of your sites so other people can benefit from the ideas and add to them as well.
I get you, I've been burned in the past before by google on my old dating site so I'm hesitant to rely on just that as my main source of traffic in the long term. My goal is to initially rely on it as I focus more on pumping out content. After I reach a certain milestone of published articles, I'd turn my attention towards pinterest as an alternative traffic source. And as time goes on and I accumulate a bigger portfolio of cooking videos, I intend to switching gears and repurposing my long form videos into shorts and posting on IG/Tiktok/FB as another traffic source, and finally adding in returning traffic via an email newsletter list as well. Also a lot of my youtube videos are getting indexed on google search as well which surprisingly is bringing in a decent amount of traffic (about 15% of total traffic).

Now the reason why I'm not focusing more on short form videos is because based on my research tiktok/IG penalize or at least don't promote you as much if your not uploading videos daily especially on tiktok. With working on a blog and my yt channel, its impossible to be uploading videos everyday on these platforms, not to mention being impossible to come up with enough recipes in that timeframe over a long period of time. Its much easier to turn a long form video into 2-4 short form videos vs the other way around so if I had a portfolio of say 30 long form videos, I could theoretically turn that into 30-120 short videos. Also another thing I noticed is that in addition to uploading daily, to really reap the benefits of daily uploads, you need to be uploading for at least 60-90 days non-stop. Based on my research sometime around the 90 day mark you'll see a hockey stick effect with the shorts if your uploading daily.

One other thing I should add is I have seen plenty of cooking channels hide their ingredient list on the description section of their videos, leaving only a link to their blog as a means of driving traffic to their site. I haven't fully gone ahead with this approach yet as I fear yt might penalize my channel by giving it less impressions because I am taking a viewer away from their platform. I want to get monetized first before I switch up my strategy of doing this. For all of my shorts though I am currently employing this strategy as I'm not getting any benefit from yt from my shorts though as the watch time doesn't count towards my 4k watch hours.

I'll pm you my cooking site and yt channel.

Last edited:

Evelio

MarketingLoopholes.com
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
May 21, 2014
Miami
I get you, I've been burned in the past before by google on my old dating site so I'm hesitant to rely on just that as my main source of traffic in the long term. My goal is to initially rely on it as I focus more on pumping out content. After I reach a certain milestone of published articles, I'd turn my attention towards pinterest as an alternative traffic source. And as time goes on and I accumulate a bigger portfolio of cooking videos, I intend to switching gears and repurposing my long form videos into shorts and posting on IG/Tiktok/FB as another traffic source, and finally adding in returning traffic via an email newsletter list as well. Also a lot of my youtube videos are getting indexed on google search as well which surprisingly is bringing in a decent amount of traffic (about 15% of total traffic).

Now the reason why I'm not focusing more on short form videos is because based on my research tiktok/IG penalize or at least don't promote you as much if your not uploading videos daily especially on tiktok. With working on a blog and my yt channel, its impossible to be uploading videos everyday on these platforms, not to mention being impossible to come up with enough recipes in that timeframe over a long period of time. Its much easier to turn a long form video into 2-4 short form videos vs the other way around so if I had a portfolio of say 30 long form videos, I could theoretically turn that into 30-120 short videos. Also another thing I noticed is that in addition to uploading daily, to really reap the benefits of daily uploads, you need to be uploading for at least 60-90 days non-stop. Based on my research sometime around the 90 day mark you'll see a hockey stick effect with the shorts if your uploading daily.

One other thing I should add is I have seen plenty of cooking channels hide their ingredient list on the description section of their videos, leaving only a link to their blog as a means of driving traffic to their site. I haven't fully gone ahead with this approach yet as I fear yt might penalize my channel by giving it less impressions because I am taking a viewer away from their platform. I want to get monetized first before I switch up my strategy of doing this. For all of my shorts though I am currently employing this strategy as I'm not getting any benefit from yt from my shorts though as the watch time doesn't count towards my 4k watch hours.

I'll pm you my cooking site and yt channel.

What is your goal with this business?

Why are you starting it it?

And...

If you could fast-forward five years and make all the money you needed from the business or project you have...

What would that business look like?

nicheevolution

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Jan 10, 2020
What is your goal with this business?

Why are you starting it it?

And...

If you could fast-forward five years and make all the money you needed from the business or project you have...

What would that business look like?

My goal with this business is to allow me to travel and live in another country without being bound to a job. I also want to be financially self-sufficient and not worry about money and getting another job. I also want to be able to provide financially for my family and take care of my parents. My parents have plans to retire back in their home country and being able to provide for them financially wouldn't really be an option unless I was able to make a healthy income online.

Well based on my research of the top creators in my niche, they are making on average 6-7 figures a year with their content creator business. A good chunk of their revenue comes from ad revenue (mediavine/ad-thrive), sponsorships, their own cooking products and they have well diversified traffic channels like the ones I outlined above. My goal is to be able to reach a similar milestone as this where I can remove my time from the equation and have systems in place to work for me. Also growing up, I have always found myself leaning more towards the creative fields despite opposition from my family who preferred me to follow the traditional schooling path. In addition to just the cooking niche site/channel, I would like to diversify my website portfolio to include additional websites like travel.

Evelio

MarketingLoopholes.com
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
May 21, 2014
Miami
My goal with this business is to allow me to travel and live in another country without being bound to a job. I also want to be financially self-sufficient and not worry about money and getting another job. I also want to be able to provide financially for my family and take care of my parents. My parents have plans to retire back in their home country and being able to provide for them financially wouldn't really be an option unless I was able to make a healthy income online.

Well based on my research of the top creators in my niche, they are making on average 6-7 figures a year with their content creator business. A good chunk of their revenue comes from ad revenue (mediavine/ad-thrive), sponsorships, their own cooking products and they have well diversified traffic channels like the ones I outlined above. My goal is to be able to reach a similar milestone as this where I can remove my time from the equation and have systems in place to work for me. Also growing up, I have always found myself leaning more towards the creative fields despite opposition from my family who preferred me to follow the traditional schooling path. In addition to just the cooking niche site/channel, I would like to diversify my website portfolio to include additional websites like travel.
So, based on your message and where your passion seems to stand, the recipe/cooking site is the angle you're going to go with.

Congrats, you now have some clarity and a direction to go towards.

On starting a portfolio of sites... I would not touch another site unless I had a team and a system going.

McDonald' perfected one restaurant/system first before expanding.

More sites will dilute the effectiveness of your efforts and results.

And they will add to your real problem: lack of clarity and focus.

So get this one to where you want it to go and then expand if you need to.

But right now, I would obsess about building the number 1 site in the world for your ideal reader.

Any video, article, book, or question you ask should be about growing that business.

That focus is what's going to propel you.

Ps. You mentioned: "Well, based on my research of the top creators in my niche, they are making, on average, 6-7 figures a year with their content creator business."

We tend to overestimate and dream about large figures, but you need to ask yourself...but you're comparing yourself to the top .01 percent of most niche site businesses...

I'm not saying you can't get there; I'm just saying you need to be DIFFERENT in order to get there.

How can you be different enough to stand out from the herd?

How can you be the purple cow?

Last edited:

nicheevolution

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Jan 10, 2020
So, based on your message and where your passion seems to stand, the recipe/cooking site is the angle you're going to go with.

Congrats, you now have some clarity and a direction to go towards.

On starting a portfolio of sites... I would not touch another site unless I had a team and a system going.

McDonald' perfected their one restaurant first before expanding.

More sites will dilute the effectiveness of your efforts and results.

And they will add to your real problem: lack of clarity and focus.

So get this one to where you want it to go and then expand if you need to.

But right now, I would obsess about building the number 1 site in the world for your ideal reader.

Any video, article, book, or question you ask should be about growing that business.

That focus is what's going to propel you.
Gotcha!

I have no plans on starting another site unless I can get this one off the ground.

Lately I have been studying other more successful blogs and videos in my niche, trying to learn about their blog layout and how to format my blog posts to at least be at the same level as them as I assume readers would expect some minimal level of quality when visiting my site. This allowed me to pick up on some blog post layouts like a "jump to the recipe" button at the top of the blog post. I've also noticed a lot of them tend to write in a very "polite and friendly" formal way that seems kind of fake. I'm wondering if I can use this to my advantage and write my content in a more informal manner with some personality. I'm also contemplating doing this for my youtube videos but still have some reservations about doing it as I know people nowadays get easily offended by anything.

Right now my biggest weakness, in addition to not having enough content is photos. Learning food photography is another skill that I will need to learn and master in addition to all of the other skills that I've been learning. I've been slowly building up my food prop portfolio and will be adding in a bigger sensor camera to my arsenal soon which I hope will help close the gap.

Last edited:

Evelio

MarketingLoopholes.com
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
May 21, 2014
Miami
Gotcha!

I have no plans on starting another site unless I can get this one off the ground.

Lately I have been studying other more successful blogs and videos in my niche, trying to learn about their blog layout and how to format my blog posts to at least be at the same level as them as I assume readers would expect some minimal level of quality when visiting my site. This allowed me to pick up on some blog post layouts like a "jump to the recipe" button at the top of the blog post. I've also noticed a lot of them tend to write in a very "polite and friendly" formal way that seems kind of fake. I'm wondering if I can use this to my advantage and write my content in a more informal manner with some personality. I'm also contemplating doing this for my youtube videos but still have some reservations about doing it as I know people nowadays get easily offended by anything.

Right now my biggest weakness, in addition to not having enough content is photos. Learning food photography is another skill that I will need to learn and master in addition to all of the other skills that I've been learning. I've been slowly building up my food prop portfolio and will be adding in a bigger sensor camera to my arsenal soon which I hope will help close the gap.
I love the informal personality angle.

I like creating businesses that are different, not just “better”.

Better is boring and blends in.

Different stands out.

One more note on the idea…

Niche sites can be profitable and make you some money.

But if you want to build a real business that gets you the freedom type of money that not only pays for your trips..

But gives you the pride of sitting in front of your parents and telling them…

Mom, Dad. You dont have to work anymore. I got you…

Then I’d look into turning that cooking blog into solving a problem for a specific audience.

For example, instead of a recipes blog…

I would focus on starting the Recipes For Longevity blog.

Sharing secret mouth watering recipes that are not only Michelin Star worthy, but they use ingredients designed to help you live longer. (According to studies).

nicheevolution

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Jan 10, 2020
I love the informal personality angle.

I like creating businesses that are different, not just “better”.

Better is boring and blends in.

Different stands out.

One more note on the idea…

Niche sites can be profitable and make you some money.

But if you want to build a real business that gets you the freedom type of money that not only pays for your trips..

But gives you the pride of sitting in front of your parents and telling them…

Mom, Dad. You dont have to work anymore. I got you…

Then I’d look into turning that cooking blog into solving a problem for a specific audience.

For example, instead of a recipes blog…

I would focus on starting the Recipes For Longevity blog.

Sharing secret mouth watering recipes that are not only Michelin Star worthy, but they use ingredients designed to help you live longer. (According to studies).
Interesting take on the recipe niche, I never heard of this longevity stuff until now but doing a quick search on google yields a lot of sites already doing the longevity angle. I guess if I were to go that angle I would have to niche down even further into something. I'm still refining my niche and style so my angle and direction could evolve or change.

Bounce Back

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Dec 30, 2023
Florida
Hey,

Let's do this...

Post your choice here.

Cheers,
Evelio

I've held off saying it but I don't know why so many on this forum skip lines for every sentence. This is almost as bad as a solid wall of text. Just some feedback.

Evelio

MarketingLoopholes.com
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
May 21, 2014
Miami
I've held off saying it but I don't know why so many on this forum skip lines for every sentence. This is almost as bad as a solid wall of text. Just some feedback.
It's an old copywriting habit for me.

I think I got it from a few studies that show people tend to prefer reading blocks or lines between 45 and 72 characters long.

Obviously, this is not the case for everyone, but most people avoid reading a large wall of text and are more open to reading small chunks.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.