The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Two hours everyday....what can be done?

Idea threads

sa_ill

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Feb 10, 2020
I recently entered the real estate business as a broker. Around 1.5 months have passed, mostly doing cold calls but also spreading the word in my network. No success so far, but I'm sticking to it. Experience people tell me it takes months to close your first deal.

My office is just 10 minutes away from where I live, so I save a lot of commute time. Thus, I'm finding that I have 2-3 hours everyday where I can dedicate myself to learning a new skill to increase my income. I'm 36 years old and married.

The only thing left to be desired for me is a career in computers / tech. I've always been madly into tech. Since childhood, I was the one my neighbours would call of fix their computers or build them new PCs. Same during university (I'm a Chemical Engineer. Couldnt get through with Computer Engineering which was my desired field).

I also learnt coding at a very early age (15-18). This was C, C++, C#, Java, Databases and Systems Management. However since then, I've mostly been out of touch with coding. I do know wordpress and building websites in wordpress via themes.

I'm thinking how I can invest this 2-3 hours and play a long term game. Maybe dive back in coding? I know it is a highly desirable and well paying skill. However, I really don't know what language to learn, where to start, how to approach interested clients, who to approach, what path to take.

Need some guidance from TMF community on where I should apply my effort and time to.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

4gus

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jan 18, 2023
Having a 1, 5 and 10 years vision will definitely help. Once you have your vision, you can build your SMART goal.
If you decide you want to go back to coding, maybe do some research, gooPT it (google + chatGPT lol), go into forums, read books, watch youtube videos etc. Find out which language is in high demand and you can learn it fairly quick.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I recently entered the real estate business as a broker. Around 1.5 months have passed, mostly doing cold calls but also spreading the word in my network. No success so far, but I'm sticking to it. Experience people tell me it takes months to close your first deal.

My office is just 10 minutes away from where I live, so I save a lot of commute time. Thus, I'm finding that I have 2-3 hours everyday where I can dedicate myself to learning a new skill to increase my income. I'm 36 years old and married.

The only thing left to be desired for me is a career in computers / tech. I've always been madly into tech. Since childhood, I was the one my neighbours would call of fix their computers or build them new PCs. Same during university (I'm a Chemical Engineer. Couldnt get through with Computer Engineering which was my desired field).

I also learnt coding at a very early age (15-18). This was C, C++, C#, Java, Databases and Systems Management. However since then, I've mostly been out of touch with coding. I do know wordpress and building websites in wordpress via themes.

I'm thinking how I can invest this 2-3 hours and play a long term game. Maybe dive back in coding? I know it is a highly desirable and well paying skill. However, I really don't know what language to learn, where to start, how to approach interested clients, who to approach, what path to take.

Need some guidance from TMF community on where I should apply my effort and time to.
Spend those 2-3 hours doing tech stuff that will help you get more leads as a real estate broker?

Beijing

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Mar 8, 2017
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

However you decide to invest that time, 2 hours a day is no small matter.

I taught myself to be proficient in a niche area of curriculum development over a period of 2 years by putting about 2 hours a day a few times a week into skill building in my target area. After two years, I was able to secure a six-figure job, a big step up (and double the income) of the dead-end jobs I'd been doing previously.

Spend those 2-3 hours doing tech stuff that will help you get more leads as a real estate broker?
If you can't think up anything more compelling in the next two weeks, this would be a really smart place to start.

Do project-based learning. Try to build something for yourself and you'll inevitably learn the knowledge/skills that are most helpful in the process of trying to create something that does something. This will naturally shift you from unconscious incompetence to conscious incompetence so that you can easily guide your own skill development learning journey.

sa_ill

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Feb 10, 2020
Hmm...I did think about this, but I really don't know where to start.

However you decide to invest that time, 2 hours a day is no small matter.

I taught myself to be proficient in a niche area of curriculum development over a period of 2 years by putting about 2 hours a day a few times a week into skill building in my target area. After two years, I was able to secure a six-figure job, a big step up (and double the income) of the dead-end jobs I'd been doing previously.

If you can't think up anything more compelling in the next two weeks, this would be a really smart place to start.

Do project-based learning. Try to build something for yourself and you'll inevitably learn the knowledge/skills that are most helpful in the process of trying to create something that does something. This will naturally shift you from unconscious incompetence to conscious incompetence so that you can easily guide your own skill development learning journey.
Thank you. This is a decent framework but a little vague. With regards to coding, how to reduce and deduce to an actionable plan and a roadmap for learning? Like I said, I don't even know where to start.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Around 1.5 months have passed, mostly doing cold calls but also spreading the word in my network. No success so far, but I'm sticking to it.
Why switch to something else when this isn't working yet?

Can you spend the 2-3 hours a day trying to figure out how to get a steady stream of clients?

Experience people tell me it takes months to close your first deal.
Who's experience?

Do you mean it takes months of doing the same thing before you get results because it's a numbers game? Or that it takes months of figuring out how to make it work?

What are you testing? Do you have enough data and feedback to determine if something's working or not?

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast

So you just entered real estate but you don’t even want to do it. Do you think you’re going to be successful in a career you’ve chosen where you’re already 45 days in trying to find an escape? Why did you pick this?

You pick this because you didn’t know what else to do and it was easy to get into. That’s the same reason everybody else picks real estate. There’s only one good real estate agent I have ever known in my entire life. She picked it for the right reason and she happens to be a for a member. @Red are you still here?

Our lives are a summary of the small and big decisions we have made along the way. I’ve made a lot of mistakes in my life. You’re making one now. You are not going to be in real estate a year from now and the sooner you rip the Band-Aid off the better.

If they are paying you a base salary, keep it until they throw you out. If they are not, shift gears right now. You’re miserable on the gerbil wheel working for someone else and it’s only day 45.

If you cared about real estate, you’d spend that 2 to 3 hours per day working on real estate. Tell me I’m wrong.

Last edited:

Beijing

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Mar 8, 2017
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Hmm...I did think about this, but I really don't know where to start.

Thank you. This is a decent framework but a little vague. With regards to coding, how to reduce and deduce to an actionable plan and a roadmap for learning? Like I said, I don't even know where to start.

The vague part is for you to figure out. If you can't think of a single problem in real estate that might be solvable with innovative technology, then you're not ready to innovate.

If you want to refresh your coding skills in the meantime while you wait for your industry knowledge and creative skills to be ready to innovate, make a computer game called "Real Estate Tycoon."

Dockid

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Aug 23, 2022
I agree.

If you have a desire to learn tech skills, an option could be to learn how to create amazing looking HTML/CSS websites. Learn to properly structure your code (H1 headers ect) and target low competition keywords. Ensure every line of code is there for a purpose and there is no bloat. If you do this your websites will load instantly and score between 98-100 for page speed. This will give you an advantage over other websites on this key SEO metric and it will reduce your websites bounce rate.

Run Google Ads to generate real estate leads while you wait for your website to climb up the search rankings for the keywords you target.

This will allow you to learn really valuable tech skills and grow your business at the same time.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.