The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

To Those Panicked/Discouraged by the PANDEMIC (or New to FLF)

sonny_1080

Creating a tool I want to use.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Oct 30, 2019
Los Angeles

sonny_1080

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Oct 30, 2019
Los Angeles
[Progress Update]

It's been 17 days since my last update. A lot has happened, but I think most of it is covered in this conversation with @Andy Black:

View: https://youtu.be/SBim2P_xA6o

Too long, didn't watch?
  • The right business networking group is a great resource for B2B business
  • The value of thoroughness and transparency in business is underrated
  • Getting a customer and learning according to the critical path = time well spent
  • Use your local resources (coaches, mentors, groups, meetups, etc.)
  • Take "effective" actions. Get better at seeing yourself transition into "action-faking" - thats the only way to avoid it
  • Understand that you're probably gonna suck at first and you're probably gonna get dismissed/rejected, but it's all a part of the process. The more you practice, the better you'll get.
  • Providing value is one thing... getting paid for it after a long process is one of the best feelings I've ever felt.
  • Nobody really cares about what you do regardless of how you explain it... what really matters is being straight-forward about it and getting in front as many people as possible. If they want it, they'll ask.
  • Excitement about what you do is more important than how you pitch it
  • Taking a genuine interest in helping people instead of trying to get their money makes the rejection and dismissiveness almost nonexistent
  • Take satisfaction in the process of getting out there instead of being identified with the outcome... thats when you'll start having fun with it
  • If you have something of value... its selfish to not share it with people
  • I don't have to be an expert, I don't have to be a consultant... I just do it... and that's enough for the people that want it.
  • Stop overcomplicating business.
  • Pay attention to how people introduce you. I wasted days trying to find the best way to introduce myself instead of letting people find it for me.
  • Being more specific works.
  • Don't spend time trying to convince people (as a business owner), if you have something of value, theres always someone up the road who needs your help that you won't have to convince.
  • F*ck a script. F*ck "salesy-ness". Keep it casual. Keep it human.
  • "People buy from people." Be yourself. Make friends. Help your new friends.
  • "Human-ness" is key.
  • I got a referral from my first client before I got results for her... because we're friends now.
  • It's ok (and normal) to not know what to do. There isn't a step-by-step guide to entrepreneurship. Get used to figuring shit out as you go.
Hope that helps somebody!

sonny_1080

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Oct 30, 2019
Los Angeles
[Progress Update]

Yesterday was my first day back at my j.o.b.

It was a ridiculous waste of time. 8 hours spent NOT working on my business.

I spent 2 hours making adjustments to my clients account this morning before work. Not sure if what I do will work out with this vertical.

Either way, I have to get more sales and build a bigger funnel. My job is getting in the way of that.

I came in to work today and the first thing I did was tell my boss I can only work two days a week now. That leaves the whole week to work on my business and I can supplement my income to invest in my business by working on the weekend.

I’m ready to focus on getting in front of more business owners with the idea of trying to find the right verticals to work with. So far, barbers and corporate insurance companies aren’t the best I’ve found.

Might not work out with my client but I built a relationship, got a referral, got practice, learned more with excel through the process, and even got paid. So I consider that a win.

sonny_1080

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Oct 30, 2019
Los Angeles
When I started learning Google Ads at the start of the quarantine, I didn't know what I wanted to do with the knowledge. I just saw that @Andy Black was giving away a ton of wisdom and realized that regardless of what I get into, that knowledge will be beneficial.

My insurance client has 5 policies from the ads I've run. She seems really happy about it and is telling people about me. I have a meeting with someone else to set up an account for them.

Listening to the call between @Vigilante @MJ DeMarco and @AllenCrawley was a kick in the a$$. I posted my takeaways at Takeaways From Insiders Conference Call

I realized that my chances of being as successful as I want to be would be greatly improved if I strived for excellence. Normally, that would've been a reason for me to start procrastinating, but since I already had something established, I wanted to choose one vertical that I know I can get results for make my business that vertical's natural home.

But which vertical?

I should start with something I know. I don't know much.

Then I overheard a conversation between friends and it hit me.

A real problem I've come across so many times in a stigmatized industry. I want to bring transparency to this industry in the form of a website. It'll be like apartments.com but for this specific vertical.

It'll basically be the same thing I'm doing now, only running Google Ads to a website that I own, building my own following, working in a vertical that I know about, and working with people already in my existing network.

At first, I was going to throw up a quick website and try to get it revenue-generating as soon as possible. But @Kak's "Kill Bigger Radio Show" got me thinking bigger... and I decided that I'm gonna make a badass website.

SO it's been about 4 days since I had this idea.

I got the foundation for my website built so I can start showing the people in my network and getting feedback. I got a LP made to start directing traffic towards to collect email-sign-ups to prepare for launch. I've spoken to a few people in the industry who think its a great idea. The competition look like their website was created in 1990.

I'll still run Ads for other businesses that get referred to me. I can funnel that revenue into this project.

I'm using Wordpress and Elementor to build the website.

I want to be able to automate:
  • people's ability to leave reviews and they instantly appear on the site
  • property owners' ability to add a listing and it automatically appear on the site without me manually having to put it up
I also want to be able to add a filtering/modifying search results button so people can filter their results.

These are the 3 biggest obstacles right now.

I'm looking to go live within a month.

If anybody has any insight on the 3 things above with wordpress and elementor it'd be appreciated.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

sonny_1080

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Oct 30, 2019
Los Angeles
[update]

my car took a shit the other day. Mechanic said $2300 to fix it. Worst possible timing. 2005 Toyota with 176,000 miles. Just spent $1000 for a new radiator. Now this.

I was trying to save up and minimize expenses since I’m leaving my job to focus on my business.

I thought about the TMF . Time is my most important asset right? No car = severe limitations on time. Money? Used as a tool to grant me time.

Then I thought of @Kak and what he said about wearing a suit for a month. How he ended up coppin a mercedez. The way those little things changed everything.

I made the decision to put that 2300 on a down payment for a new car. Luckily my girlfriend sells cars so she made sure I got the best deal possible.

My old scripted self keeps wanting to go back and forth about the decision. F*ck that. The decision was made and as Andy black says, we’re figuring it out as we go along.

Anyway, as far as the three questions I have from my previous post, I think I can optimize my website with thise advanced tools easily with elementor pro. I’m not sure yet but I think that’s the direction I’m going in.

I’ll let you guys know how it works out.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
[update]

my car took a shit the other day. Mechanic said $2300 to fix it. Worst possible timing. 2005 Toyota with 176,000 miles. Just spent $1000 for a new radiator. Now this.

I was trying to save up and minimize expenses since I’m leaving my job to focus on my business.

I thought about the TMF . Time is my most important asset right? No car = severe limitations on time. Money? Used as a tool to grant me time.

Then I thought of @Kak and what he said about wearing a suit for a month. How he ended up coppin a mercedez. The way those little things changed everything.

I made the decision to put that 2300 on a down payment for a new car. Luckily my girlfriend sells cars so she made sure I got the best deal possible.

My old scripted self keeps wanting to go back and forth about the decision. F*ck that. The decision was made and as Andy black says, we’re figuring it out as we go along.

Anyway, as far as the three questions I have from my previous post, I think I can optimize my website with thise advanced tools easily with elementor pro. I’m not sure yet but I think that’s the direction I’m going in.

I’ll let you guys know how it works out.

Glad you were decisive and you feel good about it!

My suggestion with cars has always been do whatever the hell you want on one condition and one condition only. Be able to EASILY afford the decision. No sense in crippling yourself to pay for something you can’t afford. Transportation being a tool to your life in business, do what you NEED to do.

At first, I was going to throw up a quick website and try to get it revenue-generating as soon as possible. But @Kak's "Kill Bigger Radio Show" got me thinking bigger... and I decided that I'm gonna make a badass website.

This is just awesome! I am glad you decided to kill it with your website. Whole a$$ everything!

Last edited:

sonny_1080

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Oct 30, 2019
Los Angeles
Glad you were decisive and you feel good about it!

My suggestion with cars has always been do whatever the hell you want on one condition and one condition only. Be able to EASILY afford the decision. No sense in crippling yourself to pay for something you can’t afford. Transportation being a tool to your life in business, do what you NEED to do.

This is just awesome! I am glad you decided to kill it with your website. Whole a$$ everything!
Thanks @Kak !

sonny_1080

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Oct 30, 2019
Los Angeles
[update]

Just got a call from my client...

She said she couldn't be happier!

It's been about 3 weeks and she's got:

4 new clients
6 new policies
$4,100 in premiums
comes out to about $400+ in annual revenues for her!

Not bad for a $10/day ad budget for the #1 most expensive keyword

#AndyBlack4President

:praise: :praise: :praise:

sonny_1080

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Oct 30, 2019
Los Angeles
Oh I forgot to mention

She's had a lot of experiences with like 5 or 6 different internet marketers... and this is by far the best results she's gotten!

I'm stoked. She's got me on the 1099 now so I'm expecting a check sent to my house!

sonny_1080

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Oct 30, 2019
Los Angeles
[update]

I read this yesterday: "Build Your High Ground" & "Grow What You Know"

After I got off the phone with my client I realized I should focus on building this business to at least replace the income form my j.o.b. and get my weekends back.

I've been working on this new website idea and putting the ads business on the back burner. I'm gonna need money. I don't want my need for money to rush my development of the website and effect its level of excellence. Therefore, I need to slow down.

I've noticed I get this sense of urgency in my stomach when I work on the website. Almost as if I'm afraid someone is going to beat me to it. I think it's coming from my need for money. Like I need to get it launched ASAP or else I'll starve.

The combination of reading Andy's thread, having a satisfied client, needing money to buy the freedom to put forth an undivided focus on the website, and the possibility of growing a business thats already bringing me MRR and referrals... has lead me to go back on the decision I made a week ago.

The new focus: replace the gross income from my job. I made $43K last year. Thats $3,584/mo. I'm going to adjust my prices to $300/mo. so I need 12 customers.

1 down, 11 to go!

sonny_1080

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Oct 30, 2019
Los Angeles
[update]

Got another customer who wants her ads to go live on july 1st. And I've got an accountant on the calendar next week to see if I can help her. Both are referrals from my insurance client.

sonny_1080

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Oct 30, 2019
Los Angeles
[update... more like a brain dump]

This whole journalizing my progress thing is quite helpful.

I was thinking about the best way to grow my ads business since I decided to focus on that instead of building the website (for now).

The fastest way to grow the ads business - other than building relationships through networking groups and getting referrals - is to find the RIGHT vertical that I know I can get RESULTS for...

Easier said than done. I'm still going to continue leveraging my networking group and all the events that come with it because its paying off nicely. The up-shot is that it introduces me to a bunch of different business owners in different verticals I never thought I'd be involved with (insurance, accountants, etc.). The more practice I get with different niches, the more informed I'll get about which niche I should target based on my results and who I like working with best.

So I'm sitting back thinking about which verticals to tackle. A few come to mind that sound great in theory. I could cold call them and see if they'd be interested in me funneling traffic to there website and phone number. Or, I could just build funnels to an LP under my domain and then call them with the leads like contrarian did (adding value first).

Then I thought about that damn website idea again... what if, instead of taking a bunch of time to build a website and being distracted from my ads business, I applied my ads business to the same niche I was going to build my website for? Realistically, I have no idea if the people in this vertical would be interested in getting more leads. I don't even know if Google Ads would work for this niche. Most of the people I know in this niche (existing network already in it!) strictly use referrals or even craigslist. The reason behind the website idea was to bring a level of transparency to the consumer, not generate leads for the provider. But the perspective is changed when trying to assimilate this niche with my ads business.

The kicker is thus: it's not like most businesses... it's a rental niche where they can only use "x" amount of customers at a time, however... the turnaround rate is unpredictable (fast and slow).

I started over-thinking (again) about how I'd go about applying ads to this vertical because theres a few different ways I could play it. I caught myself and decided to reach out to a family friend in the vertical and asked her how she gets leads (word of mouth and craigslist). I told her I do Google Ads and asked if she thinks sober livings would be interested in something like that?

She responded with "I'd like to know more about it. How much does something like that cost?"

I said, "Can we do a zoom meeting tomorrow? I'd love to learn more about how your business works to see if what I do would help you. Can you do tomorrow at 10am?"

Boom.

The question then becomes what direction should I go with this?

The business itself is a specific niche in renting space. But theres only so much space to rent. And theres a ton of these little niches all over my area. I'd love to be able to do a really good job with this first customer so I can start calling others in the same vertical. I don't think she'd mind if I work with the competition because she can only serve a handful of people at a time. Other than that, people will just be added to a waitlist. The best part is, if I can make this work with my existing network, get my foot in the door with others knowing I can get results while generating revenue in the process... I would not only grow my Google Ads business, but have a head-start on my website since I'll already be in motion with the people I was hoping to get on the website anyway.

It sounds great in theory. And based off my friend's answer... at least some people in that niche would be interested.

One customer could be $650 in monthly rent. If she got 1 customer from ads that I rent I'm sure she'd want to keep going. I already checked out the keyword planner... there's volumes for cheap CPC's and minimal competition. I checked out a couple of the competition's websites... very beatable.

If I'm planning on funneling traffic to multiple businesses in this same vertical in my area... it would probably be best NOT to funnel them to their own websites. Instead, I'd have to funnel them to my website. Then field the traffic to her or one of the other businesses. I could charge them PPC since I can install conversion tracking.

This is where I get tangled up -> back into my website idea because if I was going to funnel traffic to my own website, I would want to automate everything so I don't have to take any calls from people. It would have to be constantly automated from some kind of database linked with there CRM that updates vacancies and reviews automatically.

Andy would ask me "how am I helping her? How are you adding value first?" I guess the way I can help her the most is by asking her how I can help her the most.

In my opinion, I think Google Ads would help her based on the minimal research I've done. I can show her her "bleeding neck" by sharing my screen, googling her niche in the area or even her brand name and she'll come up empty. I'll tell her if she pays $10/day in ad spend at the end of the month, I'll run the funnels to a simple LP that I can make with her info on it. At the end of the month... if she didn't get a customer (I can't see that happening), then she can just pay the ad spend and we gave it a shot. But if she gets AT LEAST one customer, then I'll charge her my $300 fee.

And then what?

Replicate the process with other businesses in that vertical in this same region?

It seems counter-productive to run ads for the same vertical in the same area... but again... they can only handle so many customers. And to create an automated website would take time to learn... time that could be spent producing.

I'm still not sure how to play it. I guess I'll start with her and go from there. In the meantime... I can work with my other clients. And then I guess in the little spare time that I'll have, I can learn how to automate the website.

My head feels like its about to explode because of the indecisiveness and fear of making the wrong decision.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
My head feels like its about to explode because of the indecisiveness and fear of making the wrong decision.
“Overthinking is the art of solving problems you don’t have.”

“Opportunity knocks so often it’s a drumroll on your door.”

Just put her number on the page and have enquiries go straight to her? Worry about what to do if she’s getting too many enquiries when she’s getting too many enquiries?

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Many people think opportunity knocks only once, and you’d better grab it by both hands when it does because that’s your only chance to make it big.

But if you listen properly you’ll notice opportunity knocks so much it’s a drumroll.

All that to say... why the fear of screwing up? We’re always making mistakes. And there’s always opportunities.

sonny_1080

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Oct 30, 2019
Los Angeles

Many people think opportunity knocks only once, and you’d better grab it by both hands when it does because that’s your only chance to make it big.

But if you listen properly you’ll notice opportunity knocks so much it’s a drumroll.

All that to say... why the fear of screwing up? We’re always making mistakes. And there’s always opportunities.
Ahhhhh thank you for that

I love that.

Meeting went great this morning.Got her set up in the MCC. I’m really excited to see how it works out.

She’s not very tech savvy. And she’s not rolling in money. I’ve noticed how the people I speak to in similar circumstances are intimidated by the idea of digital marketing. And the ONLY reason they work with me is because they trust and like me.

I think that’s worthy of starting a New thread to go into more detail about that.

sonny_1080

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Oct 30, 2019
Los Angeles
[update]

Well, last week after I spoke to my insurance client, she told me the type of policies our ads were getting sales for. They were the cheaper ones to advertise for (go figure).

We sold 6 policies, but we had 2.54K impressions and only 96 clicks. CTR was 3.77% and I noticed my impression share at <10% would fall steeply on a daily basis at a certain point in the day.

We were happy with the 6 that we sold, but I wanted to refine things a bit. I made the following adjustments:
  • pause the campaigns that were getting most impressions but no sales
  • adjust the matching from mod broad to exact on the campaigns that were generating sales
  • adjusted the devices for according to the impression data
  • scheduling didn't have much of a pattern so I left that alone

Results:

After 3-4 days with those adjustments, the KPI's look more stable... but she didn't get any sales.

Not gonna lie, I kinda started to panic so I just made a few changes this morning:
  • enabled some paused campaigns that had volumes with the hopes that maybe they'll convert
  • returned matching to mod-broad to try catch more in the funnel
So its been about an hour and I'm back at this kind of result:

Now I'm like.... F*ck should I have just left it be from the start? If I would've done that, Google would continue to not like me, my impression share would've kept falling , and she'd get less conversions anyway. She's happy because she got those 6 sales, but relative to the amount of impressions and clicks she got, I'm not happy with the performance.

Should I have not tweaked on it this morning? Maybe just kept patient and sooner or later she'd get another sale? I'm not sure, but like I said, I started to panic.

And now that I made the adjustments this morning, I'm pretty sure I'm back at square 1... my impression share will continue to fall and we're F*cked anyway.

I spoke to her about raising her budget last week when things were going good and she said no, maybe in august or september. I think the only way to help her is to either boost ad spend, or undo the changes I made this morning.

What do you guys think?

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
[update]

Well, last week after I spoke to my insurance client, she told me the type of policies our ads were getting sales for. They were the cheaper ones to advertise for (go figure).

We sold 6 policies, but we had 2.54K impressions and only 96 clicks. CTR was 3.77% and I noticed my impression share at <10% would fall steeply on a daily basis at a certain point in the day.

View attachment 33813

We were happy with the 6 that we sold, but I wanted to refine things a bit. I made the following adjustments:
  • pause the campaigns that were getting most impressions but no sales
  • adjust the matching from mod broad to exact on the campaigns that were generating sales
  • adjusted the devices for according to the impression data
  • scheduling didn't have much of a pattern so I left that alone

Results:

View attachment 33814

After 3-4 days with those adjustments, the KPI's look more stable... but she didn't get any sales.

Not gonna lie, I kinda started to panic so I just made a few changes this morning:
  • enabled some paused campaigns that had volumes with the hopes that maybe they'll convert
  • returned matching to mod-broad to try catch more in the funnel
So its been about an hour and I'm back at this kind of result:

View attachment 33816

Now I'm like.... F*ck should I have just left it be from the start? If I would've done that, Google would continue to not like me, my impression share would've kept falling , and she'd get less conversions anyway. She's happy because she got those 6 sales, but relative to the amount of impressions and clicks she got, I'm not happy with the performance.

Should I have not tweaked on it this morning? Maybe just kept patient and sooner or later she'd get another sale? I'm not sure, but like I said, I started to panic.

And now that I made the adjustments this morning, I'm pretty sure I'm back at square 1... my impression share will continue to fall and we're F*cked anyway.

I spoke to her about raising her budget last week when things were going good and she said no, maybe in august or september. I think the only way to help her is to either boost ad spend, or undo the changes I made this morning.

What do you guys think?
How do you know the impression share was falling?

Also... focus on the sales and how she feels about performance rather than the Key Performance *Indicators*.

sonny_1080

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Oct 30, 2019
Los Angeles
How do you know the impression share was falling?
Everytime I would look at the search impression share line for the day, it would go steady and then at some point during the day go pretty much straight down like the 3rd picture.

I'm assuming its because my CTR is under 5%.

Also... focus on the sales and how she feels about performance rather than the Key Performance *Indicators*.
If thats the case then I guess I'll leave my changes from this morning for a few days and see what happens. If no sales, then I'll just unpause everything and take it back to the way it was in the beginning.

I'm concerned that my CTR will continue to decrease causing Google to not like me, resulting in less impressions and no sales.

Blackman

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
Dec 28, 2018
London, UK
Do you have any kind of conversion tracking in place or some way to know exactly which keywords are bringing in the sales?

Are you checking your search terms to see what terms trigger your ads? Go through everything one by one and add the irrelevant stuff into negatives. This will obviously cut down the volume, but what's the point of getting traffic, if it's not relevant to what you are offering?

Also playing around with the campaign too often is not a good idea. Sometimes you just have to let it run, gather some data, then make necessary changes.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Maybe impression share falls due to increased competition at those hours? Or maybe it’s approaching the daily budget?

Also, a CTR of 5% could be good, bad, or average. It depends on the CTR of your competitors in the same ad position.

sonny_1080

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Oct 30, 2019
Los Angeles
Do you have any kind of conversion tracking in place or some way to know exactly which keywords are bringing in the sales?
No conversion tracking because I don't have access to her website. She tells me what gets sold. If its a renters insurance policy then I know it came from that ad.

Are you checking your search terms to see what terms trigger your ads? Go through everything one by one and add the irrelevant stuff into negatives. This will obviously cut down the volume, but what's the point of getting traffic, if it's not relevant to what you are offering?
Yes. I've got a good list of negatives going. Thats why its concerning. Over the weekend I had everything really tight. Better KPI's but no sales. Granted, it was only for 3-4 days though. The first two weeks, the account wasn't as tight and had shit KPI's but 6 sales.

Also playing around with the campaign too often is not a good idea. Sometimes you just have to let it run, gather some data, then make necessary changes.
I thought 2 weeks brought enough data. Then I made the adjustments. After 3-4 days with the adjustments, no sales and much less traffic concerned me.

I'll increase my negatives list though, thanks for that insight.

sonny_1080

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Oct 30, 2019
Los Angeles
Maybe impression share falls due to increased competition at those hours? Or maybe it’s approaching the daily budget?
It definitely approaches the daily budget. Thats gotta be it. I didn't think of that.

I made these changes this morning and I instantly started getting more traffic. I've gotten the same amount of clicks in the last 4 hours as I did in the last 3 days. Problem is... we've already hit our budget for the day and she hasn't gotten a sale. I'm sure thats whats been going on for the first two weeks. We just got lucky that out 2,530 impressions, we got 96 clicks, and ultimately 6 sales.

That seems like a shit ratio to me. At least in the last 3 days we didn't even hit our daily budget because everything was so tight. We'd 1 click here and a click there, although it didn't turn into a sale, at least it didn't rack up our costs.

I'm gonna talk to her tomorrow and explain CTR, impression share, and our budgeting. I'm pretty sure the main problem is us hitting budget because its not tight enough. I'm gonna add some negatives to the list and leave it be until after I talk to her. When I'm fresh tomorrow morning, with her input, I'll probably undo the changes I made this morning and tighten things up again. I just need her to understand and have appropriate expectations with a $10/day budget.

EDIT: oh wait nevermind. Its the 29th and we're only at $270 for the month. We have more to spend today to make up for not hitting limit over the weekend.

Oy va voy...

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
BTW... I don't look at the graphs, especially over a short period of time.

I look at these columns, and maybe by day, by week, by month:

View: https://youtu.be/svxkKfn0Z5k

Blackman

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
Dec 28, 2018
London, UK
Not sure if this has already been mentioned, but you could have perfectly relevant ads and have them nicely matched with your keywords, yet still struggle getting a decent CTR, if your positions are low.

Looking at your clicks to impressions ratio, the CTR and the search impression share (SIS), I'm guessing that you are rarely hitting the top 3 positions, which explains the stats.

Sure, you could raise your bids, but only do this if the rest of the campaign is spot on and if your budget allows it.

sonny_1080

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Oct 30, 2019
Los Angeles
[update]

Went to some networking meetings last week that were beneficial. Got me in front of some folks and I got a 1-1 meeting later this week out of it.

I also had a chat with someone i met through my networking group. He’s a business coach. By the end of our conversation I got a ton more value out of our chat than he did.

Our planned 30min convo ended up being 2 hours. Long story short. We got to know each other very well and he helped me get more directional.

Here are my takeaways:

The most important thing right now is to cover my bills.

Today, I have to work at my part-time job. After, I can get started on my 2nd clients stuff (more like an experiment for my website idea). My goal is to have it finished by the end of the day tomorrow.

The rest of the week is all about prospecting and lining up sales meetings. My goal is 4 a day, every week.

I'll spend my spare time at work trying to come up with better prospecting techniques.

What are you doing to prospect for your business this week?

Anyone have any recommendations to refine prospecting processes?

Blackman

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
Dec 28, 2018
London, UK
With regards to prospecting, since you kept mentioning "networking", I slightly changed my strategy of randomly cold-calling businesses, to doing a bit of forum marketing.

I registered on a forum where my prospects hang out and tried to be helpful in the advertising/marketing section by mentioning Google Ads, how useful it is for lead generation, but unfortunately my sneaky tactics quickly got picked up by the mods and I was told to calm it down a bit...

So then I decided to purchase banner advertising space on the forum to get noticed using more official channels, and so far it's been 2 days and I already had 1 enquiry...

Obviously, it's early days for any conclusions, but I'm experimenting with a different approach, as cold-calling was draining and felt ineffective, whilst this seems a bit more targeted....

sonny_1080

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Oct 30, 2019
Los Angeles
[Update]

My insurance client stopped getting calls I’m July but had the same stats. I panicked. I figured it was because google changed exact match to allowing close variants. I basically gutted the account and loaded like 3,000 exact match ad groups. She got a lead within 2 days. So that’s good.

Spent the weekend camping so now it’s back to business.

Working on a prospecting program. My biggest headwind is that little voice in the back of my head that tells me shit like I’m not good enough at getting results through google ads so I shouldn’t sell it to people. To this I’ve found I have to remind myself that I’m sure I know more than the average Joe and I’ve already brought value to a few different people. Ill get better with time and practice. The only thing I need is more customers.

My brother in law gave me his grant cardone login so I can check out some of his prospecting and sales training. It’s been surprisingly helpful. GC seems like a douche but I’ve picked up some gems that I’m applying to my prospecting strategy.

I’ve also started working out in the morning and being more mindful of what I eat. I’m doing this for 1 reason: it’s a vital business tool. When I get out of the gym I can’t wait to get to work. Been a week so far.

Oh and last week I got a check in the mail from my client as MRR for my service... that was a good feeling.

sonny_1080

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Oct 30, 2019
Los Angeles
Guess the malls are gonna close down in California pretty soon again. Dope! More time to focus on the biz instead of having to waste time at work.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I registered on a forum where my prospects hang out and tried to be helpful in the advertising/marketing section by mentioning Google Ads, how useful it is for lead generation, but unfortunately my sneaky tactics quickly got picked up by the mods and I was told to calm it down a bit...
Don’t be sneaky. Be a member of the community and be seen to help people. I keep getting asked by Facebook group *owners* to do presentations for their members. Have a think what you can do different to get a different result.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.