The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Creating RITUALS and Not "Boring Habits" Helps Me Not to Get Discouraged

Anything related to matters of the mind

Ytcho's

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Nov 9, 2021
I would like to create this topic bringing to those who feel unmotivated or very anxious, some habits (or rituals as I like to call them) that keep me going, even on days of low motivation.

I don't want it to sound like something cliche or coach talk, my intention is to try to bring a different view, that's why I call it rituals and not habits.

A concept that when I heard it made a lot of sense and a big difference.

Of course, I want to get better at this of passing the ideas in my head that help me to other people clearly so I need to practice so that I can help more and more and this is my first attempt.

First, why do I speak of habits in this way? For the simple reason that rituals are processes that cannot be broken, that is, they have a meaning behind them and not just "wake up at 5:00 am and exercise" "meditate for 15 minutes" "keep a diary".

There needs to be something stronger than that which generates a feeling of pleasure and connection with that moment when performing it. Nothing exoteric, the world is very fast paced and we need to stay calm and not freak out.

For example, I sleep and wake up every day at the same time, keeping an average of 07:00 of sleep, but how do I do that without getting discouraged?

It all starts with my nightly ritual: at 08:00PM I turn off all the lights and keep a yellowish light on the PC screen that I use as a lamp to read something "spiritual" that brings more relaxation before meditating and sleeping.

You know that the yellow light is better to rest your vision and not the exaggerated and bluish glow of your cell phone, of course!

But then you'll wonder, but where's the ritual part? This is looking like a habit like any other!

Yes I know, I'll explain it now...

When I do that, I put myself in a state that connects me with what I'm going to read and for me that's important, I like the feeling that it brings and breaking it doesn't do me any good.

But of course, this was an example of what I do, and you need to find something that brings that feeling of "I want the time to read to come soon".

Now, okay, that guarantees me a better night's sleep, and now most people's terror, "but how the hell do I wake up early without wanting to kill the first one that looks at me or hit the F*cking snooze button?"

My example is that, every morning I drink my black coffee sitting in front of the house, alone, without talking to anyone. Now, what I'm going to talk about is important, you have to create a "pleasant process".

In this case, I buy a coffee in beans that where I buy it doesn't change much the price of the others, and I prepare it in an Italian coffee maker (moka), it's not luxury at all, it's just a type of coffee maker that makes the process very manual and pleasant to make and get involved in it, not just throw the coffee powder and drink 5 cups down your throat.

But remember, you have to find what will generate that feeling for you when you do it.

So every time you wake up or go to sleep, that already comes to your mind and you think "hmmm! time for my coffee". The emotion already starts to direct you towards that and you already start the day well and more prepared for the next task.

Then you decide whether you want to start working or exercising. For a while, instead of coffee, I did yoga stretches that relaxed my body and I felt great.

And the secret is to take every single thing you do and turn it into an unbreakable ritual.

Imagine that you make promises to someone and then break them, it makes you feel bad, but when you keep them you feel good and want more of that serotonin.

Now take something that makes you stay in that state in every habit you have that day that you find difficult to accomplish, or that you can't create because it's too painful. Adapt and be happy.

Well this is my first post trying to bring something out of my head that I use for myself and that other people can benefit from.

Let me know if I helped with anything or, if you got confused, please also comment, I will improve more and more to add value here.

Thanks for reading.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Rafael Gervásio

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Dec 27, 2020
I would like to create this topic bringing to those who feel unmotivated or very anxious, some habits (or rituals as I like to call them) that keep me going, even on days of low motivation.

I don't want it to sound like something cliche or coach talk, my intention is to try to bring a different view, that's why I call it rituals and not habits.

A concept that when I heard it made a lot of sense and a big difference.

Of course, I want to get better at this of passing the ideas in my head that help me to other people clearly so I need to practice so that I can help more and more and this is my first attempt.

First, why do I speak of habits in this way? For the simple reason that rituals are processes that cannot be broken, that is, they have a meaning behind them and not just "wake up at 5:00 am and exercise" "meditate for 15 minutes" "keep a diary".

There needs to be something stronger than that which generates a feeling of pleasure and connection with that moment when performing it. Nothing exoteric, the world is very fast paced and we need to stay calm and not freak out.

For example, I sleep and wake up every day at the same time, keeping an average of 07:00 of sleep, but how do I do that without getting discouraged?

It all starts with my nightly ritual: at 08:00PM I turn off all the lights and keep a yellowish light on the PC screen that I use as a lamp to read something "spiritual" that brings more relaxation before meditating and sleeping.

You know that the yellow light is better to rest your vision and not the exaggerated and bluish glow of your cell phone, of course!

But then you'll wonder, but where's the ritual part? This is looking like a habit like any other!

Yes I know, I'll explain it now...

When I do that, I put myself in a state that connects me with what I'm going to read and for me that's important, I like the feeling that it brings and breaking it doesn't do me any good.

But of course, this was an example of what I do, and you need to find something that brings that feeling of "I want the time to read to come soon".

Now, okay, that guarantees me a better night's sleep, and now most people's terror, "but how the hell do I wake up early without wanting to kill the first one that looks at me or hit the F*cking snooze button?"

My example is that, every morning I drink my black coffee sitting in front of the house, alone, without talking to anyone. Now, what I'm going to talk about is important, you have to create a "pleasant process".

In this case, I buy a coffee in beans that where I buy it doesn't change much the price of the others, and I prepare it in an Italian coffee maker (moka), it's not luxury at all, it's just a type of coffee maker that makes the process very manual and pleasant to make and get involved in it, not just throw the coffee powder and drink 5 cups down your throat.

But remember, you have to find what will generate that feeling for you when you do it.

So every time you wake up or go to sleep, that already comes to your mind and you think "hmmm! time for my coffee". The emotion already starts to direct you towards that and you already start the day well and more prepared for the next task.

Then you decide whether you want to start working or exercising. For a while, instead of coffee, I did yoga stretches that relaxed my body and I felt great.

And the secret is to take every single thing you do and turn it into an unbreakable ritual.

Imagine that you make promises to someone and then break them, it makes you feel bad, but when you keep them you feel good and want more of that serotonin.

Now take something that makes you stay in that state in every habit you have that day that you find difficult to accomplish, or that you can't create because it's too painful. Adapt and be happy.

Well this is my first post trying to bring something out of my head that I use for myself and that other people can benefit from.

Let me know if I helped with anything or, if you got confused, please also comment, I will improve more and more to add value here.

Thanks for reading.
Awesome post!

jfirefly556

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Nov 16, 2022
HOly Crap That makes sense, ive been noticing that i feel that way about Waking up and you just gave me that idea of making it into a promise to yourself and finding something soothing to wake up to. Thank you brother. I was literally about to start reading a book before going to sleep today to try it out and you read my mind. this helped alot brother hiopefully you can post more insighful experciences!!

Ytcho's

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Nov 9, 2021
HOly Crap That makes sense, ive been noticing that i feel that way about Waking up and you just gave me that idea of making it into a promise to yourself and finding something soothing to wake up to. Thank you brother. I was literally about to start reading a book before going to sleep today to try it out and you read my mind. this helped alot brother hiopefully you can post more insighful experciences!!
Amazing to read this and see that I helped you @jfirefly556

My advice is, even if you feel that at first you don't feel so good, keep going, test alternatives, read different things, until you find something that keeps you going.

Do that and then come back to tell us about your experience too!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.